Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (70196 Views)

English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Kalaada: 10:03pm On Apr 20, 2016
original pidgin is Ijaw Dutch Portuguese and other African languages.it developed on the coast of West Africa and the Carribbean as a means of communication between different ethnic groups hence Liberia Sierra Leone Ghana Cameroun all have similar pidgin

on the Nigerian side Ijaws were first to meet with Europeans there is a 17th Century account of an Ijaw king speaking pidgin with a European ship owner on the net.

Since everywhere Ijaws went Igbos went via slavery thru Ijaws Igbo words came in (Ijaws traded Igbos heavily and even spoke Igbo)..then in Warri Sapele region mixing of tribes missionaries developed the Warri-Sapele creole..of Itshekiri and Urohbo Isoko etc.

Now as more Nigerians moved west..Lagos became and still is the cultural capital (the Thebes) of modern "one Nigeria" culture..and since then Yoruba has a profound influence on Nigerian speech..
Port Harcourt never became the Lagos of the East so Igbo and Ijaw words even if they found their way into pidgin were not popularized as oppose to Lagos slangs.. (if u break Lagos u break Naija).
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Kalaada: 10:13pm On Apr 20, 2016
i always thought yeye- was Yoruba..
nko is yoruba
yonder - old pidgin word
poto poto Ijaw word
una - used by Jamaicans also always thought it was from igbo unu which means exactly same as una..probably introduced thru Ijaw traders of Igbos,

ass or behind - uses by black americans to mean person 'get yo ass over here' 'shut ur behind up' most americans think that it is derogatory but dont know it came from Igbo speaking Ijaws of Bonny Opobo and Ndoki speaking the Akwete dialect where behind is used to mean a person,

shebi - Yoruba
joor- Yoruba (recent addition)
boh - someone said it is ijaw but no longer in use..my parents used to use Eastern Deltans use it alot
juju- Ijaw
i assume several other words maybe of Sierra Leonean origin
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:39am On Sep 11, 2017
Kelvin0 , I just saw an email notification from you. How may I be of help?
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Kelvin0(m): 7:55am On Sep 11, 2017
TheSonOfMark:
Kelvin0 , I just saw an email notification from you. How may I be of help?

TSOM, if i State the reasons for sending u an email on this platform, then the purpose of sending it would have been defeated..
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:32pm On Sep 11, 2017
Kelvin0:

TSOM, if i State the reasons for sending u an email on this platform, then the purpose of sending it would have been defeated..

Alright then. It's been replied.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Loluores: 5:31pm On Nov 01, 2017
Lol, funny thread. But make I just use dis time take clarify some language tins for una (no mind me oh, I be real boti but make I try speak small pidgin).

Anyways though, the vocabulary of the Nigerian Pidgin is predominantly from English. A number of words come from different languages across Nigeria though, which means that you probably have some words in your own dialect you use when speaking pidgin. An Igbo person is more likely to use "Nna ehn" than anybody else. Or a Hausa would say "dat one, ba?" Warri will say "Guy kpom, I hol bar, mek we just va go lanson."... don't ask me what that last sentence means oh grin

Some other words were introduced into pidgin from other languages like Portuguese, Dutch, French, even from Saõ Tomé, way back when the language was developing during like 5 or 6 centuries from now due to contact with different people that landed on our shores from Lagos to Warri (I hail una oh, the headquarters of Pidgin grin) to PH to Calabar. The origin of some of them is quite interesting:

Pikin is from Portuguese peqeño (little, small, little kid)

Va or Vamoose is probably from Spanish (or should I say Portuguese, I'm not so sure) ¡Va! or ¡Vamos! (go, let's go)

Boku is from French beaucoup ((very) much/many)

Sabi is from Portuguese saber (to know)

The older pidgin word palaver is probably related to Spanish palabra and the Latin parabola (word, story, parable)

The words yeye and kuku (or kukuma) in pidgin are of Yoruba origin, that is undisputable. It's a wonder you guys even debated that one at all. At least, the way yeye is pronounced is phonologically close to Yoruba.

The Yoruba word yẹ̀yẹ́ is a noun which is sometimes used as an adjective to qualify other nouns. It means unseriousness or frivolous amusement. It could also be derogatory, with meanings like nonsense, rubbish, useless, silly/ridiculous. It's definitely not the same word that you find in some Yoruba names nah, how will that even be possible? grin The tone marking is different as you can see in a name like Adéyẹyè which is from Adé yẹ oyè as someone has already explained above.
The argument that yeye is from an Igbo word eyiye that looks like it has a similar meaning to the Yoruba word yẹ̀yẹ́ easily lends fuel to our tendencies in Nigeria here to start stupid tribalistic I-claim-dis I-claim-dat fights. There's no point in doing that. I don't speak the Igbo language. But it's a well known fact that both languages are linguistically related. A number of words in both languages are cognates; they are related. Such as the word for cat (olóńgbò, ólógbo), or the sentence "I am in the house", in both languages: "M nọ̀ nímé ụ́lọ̀" = "Mo wà nínú ilé". Whether yẹ̀yẹ́ and eyiye are indeed cognates is for the linguistics scholars to confirm, I simply don't know.

Kúkú is what is called a pre-verbal adverb in Yoruba, which is an adverb that is located before the main verb. Other Yoruba examples include tètè (early, quickly), ṣẹ̀ṣẹ̀ (just (with reference to time)) and kọ́kọ́ ((at) first). See how these words have two identical syllables just like kúkú has. Kúkú doesn't have one single meaning. Some of its meanings include: rather, anyway, indeed, just (not referring to time in this case), even, etc... depending on context. It has more or less the same meanings in pidgin.

Una is straight from the Igbo second-person plural subject or object pronoun únù, meaning you (all), no need to even debate that one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Palaver: 7:42pm On Nov 01, 2017
Loluores:
Lol, funny thread. But make I just use dis time take clarify some language tins for una (no mind me oh, I be real boti but make I try speak small pidgin).

Anyways though, the vocabulary of the Nigerian Pidgin is predominantly from English. A number of words come from different languages across Nigeria though, which means that you probably have some words in your own dialect you use when speaking pidgin. An Igbo person is more likely to use "Nna ehn" than anybody else. Or a Hausa would say "dat one, ba?" Warri will say "Guy kpom, I hol bar, mek we just va go lanson."... don't ask me what that last sentence means oh grin

Some other words were introduced into pidgin from other languages like Portuguese, Dutch, French, even from Saõ Tomé, way back when the language was developing during like 5 or 6 centuries from now due to contact with different people that landed on our shores from Lagos to Warri (I hail una oh, the headquarters of Pidgin grin) to PH to Calabar. The origin of some of them is quite interesting:

Va or Vamoose is probably from Spanish (or should I say Portuguese, I'm not so sure) ¡Va! or ¡Vamos! (go, let's go)

The older pidgin word palaver is probably related to Spanish palabra and the Latin parabola (word, story, parable)

The words yeye and kuku (or kukuma) in pidgin are of Yoruba origin, that is undisputable. It's a wonder you guys even debated that one at all. At least, the way yeye is pronounced is phonologically close to Yoruba.

The Yoruba word yẹ̀yẹ́ is a noun which is sometimes used as an adjective to qualify other nouns. It means unseriousness or frivolous amusement. It could also be derogatory, with meanings like nonsense, rubbish, useless, silly/ridiculous. It's definitely not the same word that you find in some Yoruba names nah, how will that even be possible? grin The tone marking is different as you can see in a name like Adéyẹyè which is from Adé yẹ oyè as someone has already explained above.
The argument that yeye is from an Igbo word eyiye that looks like it has a similar meaning to the Yoruba word yẹ̀yẹ́ easily lends fuel to our tendencies in Nigeria here to start stupid tribalistic I-claim-dis I-claim-dat fights. There's no point in doing that. I don't speak the Igbo language. But it's a well known fact that both languages are linguistically related. A number of words in both languages are cognates; they are related. Such as the word for cat (olóńgbò, ólógbo), or the sentence "I am in the house", in both languages: "M nọ̀ nímé ụ́lọ̀" = "Mo wà nínú ilé". Whether yẹ̀yẹ́ and eyiye are indeed cognates is for the linguistics scholars to confirm, I simply don't know.

Kúkú is what is called a pre-verbal adverb in Yoruba, which is an adverb that is located before the main verb. Other Yoruba examples include tètè (early, quickly), ṣẹ̀ṣẹ̀ (just (with reference to time)) and kọ́kọ́ ((at) first). See how these words have two identical syllables just like kúkú has. Kúkú doesn't have one single meaning. Some of its meanings include: rather, anyway, indeed, just (not referring to time in this case), even, etc... depending on context. It has more or less the same meanings in pidgin.

Una is straight from the Igbo second-person plural subject or object pronoun únù, meaning you (all), no need to even debate that one.
u called me angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Loluores: 7:42am On Nov 03, 2017
Palaver:
u called me angry

Lol, omo I no know say I call you oh... but at least you don know the place where your name from derive nah grin

Acshually, to correct my analysis, e be like say palaver na from the Portuguese version palavra (with 'v') instead of the Spanish one with 'b', dat suppose dey more accurate historically.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Palaver: 3:21pm On Nov 03, 2017
Loluores:

Lol, omo I no know say I call you oh... but at least you don know the place where your name from derive nah grin

Acshually, to correct my analysis, e be like say palaver na from the Portuguese version palavra (with 'v') instead of the Spanish one with 'b', dat suppose dey more accurate historically.
Thank you Sir. I don learn new thing. No wonder wey I love Spanish Language and their women. I no know say na my relation them be grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by kayfra: 11:39pm On Apr 11, 2019
Loluores:

Palaver is an English word

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-akoko: Post Ume Date Is Out! / OAU Student Dressed As A Sexy Nun Turns Heads / Adegboye Olatunji: I Was Charmed By Cultists – Ilaro Poly SUG President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.