Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (70169 Views)

English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Funkybabee(f): 9:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
ologe alako,i cant find anywhere in yoruba language pre 60s with the word shakara in it,maybe you are right when you consider on she oge ara,i think shakara might be derive from dat,se ako ara.

don't twist the word if u live with yoruba indigenes,a times if they want to say oun sako,shakara will follow it.e.g shey oun sako si mi abi shakara wo leleyi.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 9:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
i think comprehension is your problem if not then i cant help you cos i dont know exactly why you are ranting talking about pointing fingers,scroll up and read my post and tell me when and how i denegrade yoruba.

Another Nkem in the making. Like I said, keep pointing at your father's compound with your middle finger.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 9:29pm On Apr 19, 2016
Funkybabee:

don't twist the word if u live with yoruba indigenes,a times if they want to say oun sako,shakara will follow it.e.g shey oun sako si mi abi shakara wo leleyi.

Everybody wants to claim Yoruba. He's one lost igbo boy who grew up in Lagos claiming Yoruba.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by benji93: 9:33pm On Apr 19, 2016
olaitoro:

mama; it has Igbo origin from the word mara as in 'mmiri mara mu' to englised the Igbo word, folks start saying rain mama me.

knack; this also has Igbo origin. In igbo langauge knack is kuo, for eg
english: it is 12o'clock
igbo: o 'kuo'la 12o'clock
pidgin; e don knack 12o'clock.

yeye: this is Igbo word used to show stupidity, it is used as eyiye eg
english: this child is stupid
igbo; nwata na eyiye eyiye
pidgin; this pikin don they yeye

to further buttress my point, that is why Igbos laugh at yoruba name like AdeYEYE.

cool, but i disagree on the origin of knack , it is probably an adulterated form of 'knock', 'knock' sounds like an unstressed version of 'knack in the british accent, moreover the meaning of 'knock' actually relates to the usage of 'knack'
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Pidggin(f): 9:35pm On Apr 19, 2016
Na everytin una go dey argue? Who speak pidgin pas NDs? Na we language bi dat na grin
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Funkybabee(f): 9:36pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

Everybody wants to claim Yoruba. He's one lost igbo boy who grew up in Lagos claiming Yoruba.

nah u say so!!!!!
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

Another Nkem in the making. Like I said, keep pointing at your father's compound with your middle finger.
you are the nkem you are the one showing trait of the people at the other side of the Niger,which part of let is slide is it that you dont understand,av being trying to be civil with you,now am loading and cocking my ammo slowly,if you want to sleep well tonight please dont say thrash anymore,if you cannot point out where i denegrade yoruba culture and language keep your keep and eat your dinner if you av any one to eat.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 9:39pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
you are the nkem you are the one showing trait of the people at the other side of the Niger,which part of let is slide is it that you dont understand,av being trying to be civil with you,now am loading and cocking my ammo slowly,if you want to sleep well tonight please dont say thrash anymore,if you cannot point out where i denegrade yoruba culture and language keep your keep and eat your dinner if you av any one to eat.

Too much talk, Nkem.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:41pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

awon iran di ran e lo ma claim Igbo,am not just born in lagos am from kosoko kings family in lagos island,am not from egba like you or ede,ogbomosho or one stupid hamlet with no name on google map,we know your kinds.iranu oshi.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:45pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

Too much talk, Nkem.
Nkan to ba wun anybody lo le fe nu e so....call me anything u like,bingo,nkem,osama you free nicca.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 9:45pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
awon iran di ran e lo ma claim Igbo,am not just born in lagos am from kosoko kings family in lagos island,am not from egba like you or ede,ogbomosho or one stupid hamlet with no name on google map,we know your kinds.iranu oshi.

Yawn.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 9:46pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
Nkan to ba wun anybody lo le fe nu e so....call me anything u like,bingo,nkem,osama you free nicca.

afonja fits you better.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:48pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

Yawn.
nice one boy,go to bed,your mates are already in bed,there is school tomorrow,make sure you are attentive when your English teacher is teaching you comprehension,you need more work on that.pele omo re bi yan.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 9:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
benji93:

cool, but i disagree on the origin of knack , it is probably an adulterated form of 'knock', 'knock' sounds like an unstressed version of 'knack in the british accent, moreover the meaning of 'knock' actually relates to the usage of 'knack'
knack is an English word not pidgin its pure English.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by afoobabs(m): 9:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
I dont no of others but kuku and yeye ar yoruba word.
O kuku pami loni ni. meaning U will rather kill me today. Oni yeye ni @op yi o mo si ma yeye re. meaning @op is ridiculous and i will surely ridicule you.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by dapsonlou(m): 10:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
Kelvin0:
"Pidgin" English or brokin English (as it is called) originated during the slave trade era as a means of communication between the Europeans and the Africans, according to a novel by Chinua Achebe "the Europeans seemed to speak through their noses" , this made communication with the locals an herculean task, thus the need to integrate the English language with their local diet for better understanding this marked the beginning of the pidgin English. It
was the language used in their business transaction.
After that era, the language stayed on as a means of communication amongst the people because of the many different African languages; In Nigeria, for example there are over five hundred different languages . like most languages, it has really evolved with new words been added at regular intervals.

Wikipedia defines Nigerian (naija) pidgin as an English-based pidgin and creole( dialect formed from two languages which has developed from a pidgin to become a first language. ) language spoken as a
lingua franca across Nigeria. Most people call it brokin English.

By implications the pidgin English we use today in our day to day verbal communication must have been coined out from two or more languages, this statement may be true to some extent.

Consider the following example

"Walk" pidgin form "Waka" (Origin:English)
As i dey " waka" my own, na so i jam Talleasty1 for road....

Also consider

"you sabi do am?" means "do you know how
to do it?" "Sabi" means "to know" or "to know
how to" just as "to know" is "saber" in
Portuguese and Spanish. Also, Pikin or
Pickaninny is from the Spanish and
Portuguese word "pequeño"/"pequeno" to
mean "small". (remember the binis n d Portuguese)

However there are some complicated forms of pidgin whose origin one can never traced, how they became very popular among our traditional pidgin is what i still find difficult to understand.

Below are five most used pidgin words in naija which cannot be said to have originated from any language whatsoever.

5. "Kuku" : how this word found itself in our day to day pidgin English remains a wonder.. Who was the first person that used it, how did the first recipient of the word decipher the meaning, maybe the language was aided with talking fingers then, who knows.

Husband: mama Tina leave my shirt

Mama Tina: I know go leave am, where Tina school fees and money for food, useless man.

Husband: lands her(mama Tina) a very serious slap

Mama Tina: (with tears rushing down her eyes) make u KUKU kill me, kill me o.. grin grin grin

4. Mama : hmm, u are probably wondering what mama is doing inside this list, when we all know it means mother, but wait! hunger dey Mama me o, lol. Na so rain Mama [/i]me yesterday from work lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

3. [i] Knack
: this one, lol, d bad guys are already thinking spoil "Hungerbad don knack the babe tire" ewooo dem don knack my Pikin jazz.. Naijaboiy abeg wetin dey Knack for your time.

2. Una(ina) abeg if una reach class make ina keep sit for me. Hmm shooor

1. Yeye :, all this yeye children of nowadays wey no get respect for their elders go come jump enter this thread now come dey bash me

Lalasticlala, ishilove make una kuku move this yeye thread to the appropriate section and then to fp na Abi hunger dey Mama una by this time of the day wey 1 don knack already.

Kuku and yeye is Yoruba. Yeye is shameless or Joker. Kuku means Just
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by nuradeen011(m): 10:07pm On Apr 19, 2016
prinsam30:

my guy gaskiya ne ko?
yep gaskiya ne

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by oboy3(m): 10:08pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
haba owu na yoruba ooo,it means lack ,famine or drought,owu mu ni ile yi meaning there is no money or economy is down in this land,

I think tey is corrupt form of late,tey tey,long time ago or late o tena or tela has no correlation with Igbo tey is corruption of the eglish word late.
the examples i gave are more accurate than this trash you wrote,i didnt argue kuku or mama or wahever cos i aint sure of those
pls,dont ever claim these conc Igbo words,for your sake
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by benji93: 10:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
masseratti:
knack is an English word not pidgin its pure English.
Mr macmillian, as much as 'knack' is an English word it is not in anyway connected to the word 'knack' in pidgin, i only used the word 'knock' as a reference due to its close connection to the usage of 'knack', moroever, 'knack' is not a word that is normally used in colloquial conversation, so logically, it is most likely not the root of the pidgin word 'knack'. I rest my case.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by patrickkkk: 10:09pm On Apr 19, 2016
Please give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. It is inappropriate for one tribe to be claiming the territory and language of another tribe. It is not right for a Yoruba tribe to be claiming "Biko" in Nigeria's pidgin originates from Yoruba even if there is another word in Yoruba that shares the same meaning with"Biko". It is more damaging for a tribe to be claiming that "Yeye".." Kuku" in Nigeria's pidgin originates from Igbo when it is obvious that d spelling of Iyiye and Yeye is not the same. please let's give what belong to Caesar to caesar.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by patrickkkk: 10:12pm On Apr 19, 2016
Please give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. It is inappropriate for one tribe to be claiming the territory and language of another tribe. It is not right for a Yoruba tribe to be claiming "Biko" in Nigeria's pidgin originates from Yoruba even if there is another word in Yoruba that shares the same meaning with"Biko". It is more damaging for a tribe to be claiming that "Yeye".." Kuku" in Nigeria's pidgin originates from Igbo when it is obvious that d spelling of Iyiye and Yeye is not the same. please let's give what belongs to Caesar to caesar.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by FanYogo1(f): 10:12pm On Apr 19, 2016
benji93:

Mr macmillian, as much as 'knack' is an English word it is not in anyway connected to the word 'knack' in pidgin, i only used the word 'knock' as a reference due to its close connection to the usage of 'knack', moroever, 'knack' is not a word that is normally used in colloquial conversation, so logically, it is most likely not the root of the pidgin word 'knack'. I rest my case.

Talking to that dude is like talking to a brick wall. Na everyone wan claim Yoruba just to disqualify Yoruba. So pathetic.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by patrickkkk: 10:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
Please give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar. It is inappropriate for one tribe to be claiming the territory and language of another tribe. It is not right for a Yoruba tribe to be claiming "Biko" in Nigeria's pidgin originates from Yoruba even if there is another word in Yoruba that shares the same meaning with"Biko". It is more damaging for a tribe to be claiming that "Yeye".." Kuku" in Nigeria's pidgin originates from Igbo when it is obvious that d spelling of Iyiye and Yeye is not the same. please let's give what belongs to Caesar to caesar.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by benji93: 10:19pm On Apr 19, 2016
FanYogo1:

Talking to that dude is like talking to a brick wall. Na everyone wan claim Yoruba just to disqualify Yoruba. So pathetic.
bros nawa ooo, in our present world it appears it is more appealing to belong to the nation of grammarians than the house of logic

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by petux(m): 10:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
KashyBaby:
grin I'm learning... tongue
magandang gabi
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by IAMMRTWHYTE(m): 10:34pm On Apr 19, 2016
Mama is not even used by only Nigerians. Some other continents use it and it still means mother.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 10:36pm On Apr 19, 2016
oboy3:
see as yoruba and igbos are claiming the word ''KuKu'',

it is neither igbo or yoruba,its gotten from ''quick quick'',called fast then people added ''ma'' as in ''kukuma'' before it metamorphed in kuku

Blatant lie, Kuku and Yeye are pure undiluted Yoruba. Kuku is used to lay emphasis on something considered important. Yeye means funny or ridiculous.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by oboy3(m): 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2016
Aigbofa:

Blatant lie, Kuku and Yeye are pure undiluted Yoruba. Kuku is used to lay emphasis on something considered important. Yeye means funny or ridiculous.
wetin consign me with yeye?,,i am talking about kukuma nd i am dead sure it aint yoruba

it is gotten from ''quick quick''

Quote me anywhere
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 19, 2016
oboy3:
wetin consign me with yeye?,,i am talking about kukuma nd i am dead sure it aint yoruba

it is gotten from ''quick quick''

Quote me anywhere

I've heard people use kuku in pidgin, and it is always in the same context as kuku in Yoruba. Kukuma is not Yoruba but kuku is definitely Yoruba.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by pmjchuks(m): 10:49pm On Apr 19, 2016
kuku and yeye is originated from yoruba language. Kuku mean "just" while yeye mean "naughty" i rest my case
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by phoenix23401(m): 10:59pm On Apr 19, 2016
UNA is detived from the igbo word "UNU" meaning u guys or u people...its still used in jamica patois today, as many slaves of igbo decent where taken there... uld recolect seanpaul nd d likes say smfin like make unu clap unu hands! in songs

Also the word TEY as in " e don tey" is also of ibo origin... in igbo u say "o teela" pronouced smwhat like "Otailer" when u wanna say smfin has taken too long
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by mrBlunt(m): 11:03pm On Apr 19, 2016
SO MUCH IGNORANCE HERE! Now for the records, YEYE is absolutely a Yoruba word and it means scorn, jest, etc. KUKU is also 100% Yoruba word, it means rather, instead, certainly, truly, etc. There are many other Yoruba words that have become part of Pidgin English in Nigeria. Some are OGA (boss), ASEWO (prostitute), etc. These are Yoruba words that have been for ages.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-akoko: Post Ume Date Is Out! / OAU Student Dressed As A Sexy Nun Turns Heads / Adegboye Olatunji: I Was Charmed By Cultists – Ilaro Poly SUG President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.