Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:53 PM

5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin (70202 Views)

English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / 9 English Words You Might Be Pronouncing Incorrectly / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 11:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
oboy3:
the examples i gave are more accurate than this trash you wrote,i didnt argue kuku or mama or wahever cos i aint sure of those
pls,dont ever claim these conc Igbo words,for your sake
claim Igbo words,lol,its your opinion never said i was hundred percent correct only shared what i think "tey"might have with late,i dont understand Igbo who knows you might be right i might be wrong but from what you put up there its hard to see the connection,my opinion.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 11:28pm On Apr 19, 2016
benji93:

Mr macmillian, as much as 'knack' is an English word it is not in anyway connected to the word 'knack' in pidgin, i only used the word 'knock' as a reference due to its close connection to the usage of 'knack', moroever, 'knack' is not a word that is normally used in colloquial conversation, so logically, it is most likely not the root of the pidgin word 'knack'. I rest my case.
funny i agree with you,knack is a corruption of the word knock in pidgin,but still knack is an English word.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by masseratti: 11:32pm On Apr 19, 2016
Funkybabee:

don't twist the word if u live with yoruba indigenes,a times if they want to say oun sako,shakara will follow it.e.g shey oun sako si mi abi shakara wo leleyi.Am not twisting anyword,av explained how the word shakara came to be,av read early yoruba text pre 60s and there is nothing like shakara in it,i dont live with yorubas I am Yoruba pure and simple.

Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by tayooluwole: 11:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
tonyfrenzy:
Kuku and yeye are everyday Yoruba words. Kuku = decidedly/finally. E.g. Should I empty the plate finally? / se ki n kuku pale ounje naa mo?
yeye = unserious(ness)/joke. E.g. He's only joking. / O n se yeye/awada ni. She's an unserious person. / Oniyeye ni omobinrin naa.
Una is Igbo. Una = you Are you two going? / Una abuo naaga?
You are getting it wrong... KUKU in yoruba language means RATHER...
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by semitunde: 12:09am On Apr 20, 2016
olaitoro:

what is the meaning of yeye in yoruba ?

Have you seen Igbos laughing at the name AdeYEYE before or not?

Be sincere

if you have seen such senerio, why do you think they are laughing ?
Mama in op context does not denote mother but rain 'drenge'

knack is an english word, but its use in pidgin takes shape from Igbo langauge as I explain in the comment you quoted.

This man has turned Yoruba language on its head.

Adeyeye is Ade/ ye/oye or Ade/ye/iye. Meaning "the crown deserves the corronation/ office" or " the matriarch deserves the crown"

Not your interpretation as "a crown of jokes". That isn't a name in Yoruba.

Yeye is joke/ poking fun and its strictly a Yoruba word.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by semitunde: 12:15am On Apr 20, 2016
Funkybabee:

don't twist the word if u live with yoruba indigenes,a times if they want to say oun sako,shakara will follow it.e.g shey oun sako si mi abi shakara wo leleyi.

I think sakara is more a Lagos addition to the Yoruba lexicon. Coined from shako. Some words like that started as slangs and ended up as normal Yoruba words.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 12:25am On Apr 20, 2016
petux:

magandang gabi

Hahahahaaha...so u know Filipino words ey?
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by semitunde: 12:31am On Apr 20, 2016
oboy3:
wetin consign me with yeye?,,i am talking about kukuma nd i am dead sure it aint yoruba

it is gotten from ''quick quick''

Quote me anywhere

Bros. Everywhere they quote you will.be wrong

I think because a lot of other Nigerians moved more to the west means that they took a bit of the Yoruba language as they went along. I can say authoritatively that many Nigerian slang have Yoruba origins.

I was speaking with an Igbo guy in Benue ( he barely knows the east) and he was saying "nko" is part of the Igbo word cos his father speaks it and it sounds Igbo. I corrected him that its Yoruba but he wouldn't believe. He kept saying the word again and again as if to make me see that he was correct.

For a lot of people here, those that can read Yoruba should simply get a copy of the Yoruba Bible. Its the oldest translated book in the country. Most of the words formed into slangs and common words today are there in the conc form.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 20, 2016
CaptainECole:
oh really .. what kinda food is that?? I am curious

Its a glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk and muscovado with the hint of citrus lime ...it's a sweet kind of food... grin
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by benji93: 12:55am On Apr 20, 2016
masseratti:
funny i agree with you,knack is a corruption of the word knock in pidgin,but still knack is an English word.
nothing in my statement suggests that i suppose the english word 'knack' does not exist
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Mann11: 1:29am On Apr 20, 2016
@promisechild I am a down-to-earth science(physics,chemistry,biology and mathematics) tutor. I am based in Ile-Ife but I will like to explore Abuja. Can we do business together?
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by timmy7(m): 6:33am On Apr 20, 2016
olaitoro:

why do you think Igbos laugh at any yoruba name with yeye in it ?
very simple... They laugh because of the foolishness of their understanding. Haba, how can only you be saying igbos laugh at Yoruba name having yeye in it Someone had explained to you that YEye is different from yeye in Yoruba just like igba (calabash, time, garden egg, 200), means different things with different pronunciations.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by mickey45: 6:48am On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Ayaaayay! What is biko? Coz if u ask me "Biko" in Filipino is a kind of food.... grin

Biko=please=abeg
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by mickey45: 6:50am On Apr 20, 2016
Kelvin0:
@Olaitoro what about "KUKU"

Kuku=just
Like "just do this thing for me" = Kuku do this thing for me

It's root is in yoruba
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by shunlet(m): 8:05am On Apr 20, 2016
olaitoro:

mama; it has Igbo origin from the word mara as in 'mmiri mara mu' to englised the Igbo word, folks start saying rain mama me.

knack; this also has Igbo origin. In igbo langauge knack is kuo, for eg
english: it is 12o'clock
igbo: o 'kuo'la 12o'clock
pidgin; e don knack 12o'clock.

yeye: this is Igbo word used to show stupidity, it is used as eyiye eg
english: this child is stupid
igbo; nwata na eyiye eyiye
pidgin; this pikin don they yeye

to further buttress my point, that is why Igbos laugh at yoruba name like AdeYEYE.
I don't see any correlation in ur example number 2 as kou'la and knack does not look alike in written form and even the way d two sound.
If u have opportunity to move close to any yoruba ask the person to pronounce 'yeye' to you, u will understand that it has different pronunciation with d one in AdeYEYE
Yeye in youruba means- dumb, clueless, mocking. It is written 'yèyé' with d two letter 'e' having dot under. It is pronounced d same way it is use in pidgin. For example
1. O ní yèyé - the clueless
2. O n fi mí se yèyé - you are mocking me
The mark on top of the vowels are the sound mark, it help you not to pronounce one for the other.
On the other hand Adeyeye is written Adéyeyè with only d middle letter 'e' having dot under. My phone doesn't permit me to put d dot.

Yeye is from yoruba languge written 'yèyé' d two 'e' having dot under, pronounced the same way it is pronounced in pidgin and carry d same meaning most times.
In Adeyeye it is written 'yeyè' only d first e here has dot under and it has a different pronunciation and a different meaning.

Contact me for yoruba lesson anytime.
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by petux(m): 8:32am On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Hahahahaaha...so u know Filipino words ey?
nt really buh tryna learn
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by scholes0(m): 8:47am On Apr 20, 2016
chai... yorubas and igbos can fight over Anything!
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 10:26am On Apr 20, 2016
english=door mart pidgin=domot
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Kelvin0(m): 11:59am On Apr 20, 2016
sotadegrt:

OBSERVATION: AN herculean task. it should have been "A herculean task.

2. .........to integrate the English language with their local DIET. i think you mean DIALECT.

i don't mean to rubbish your work. we learn everyday. Do well to modify

Thanks, my Swype keyboard is fond of playing tricks on my writeup most times. Would have edited after posting but the mods already locked it before moving to fp..
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by ENGRDUDU89(m): 12:16pm On Apr 20, 2016
You have papers to turn in and sometimes you don't just have the time with work, school or family engagements? Or you have work related research and data analysis tasks that are giving you high blood pressure?
Relax..... Hire experts to handle your papers such as final year projects, thesis or dissertations, market research & handle all kinds of data analysis in any academic or non-academic field:
• Statistical analysis.
• Seminars write –up.
• Project write-up (B.Tech, B.Sc., ND, HND, B.Eng., B.Ed., PGD, M.Sc.)
• I.T write up.
• Preparation of seminar presentation slides.
• Proof reading and arrangement of your project.
• Term papers
• Coursework Assignments

CONTACT ENGR DUDU .B.Eng. (FUTA), MSc (Ibadan): 07033308891.
07053084322.(whatsapp)
olayode89@yahoo.com.
BBM PIN: 58E7A699

Every paper written from scratch
++ 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
++ zero plagiarism policy
++ Unlimited revisions
++ 24/7 Service
++ No templates used
++ Delivered in MS Word & PDF format
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Its a glutinous rice cooked in coconut milk and muscovado with the hint of citrus lime ...it's a sweet kind of food... grin
wow... I like the sound of that... I need to visit the Philippines, can I find that in restaurants in big cities like Manila, Cebu
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2016
CaptainECole:
wow... I like the sound of that... I need to visit the Philippines, can I find that in restaurants in big cities like Manila, Cebu

Only if it's a Filipino restaurant then possibly...

How u know Cebu? grin I'm from there tongue
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 5:32pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Only if it's a Filipino restaurant then possibly...

How u know Cebu? grin I'm from there tongue
lol.. I am a geographer by hobby.. wink though an engineering student, I just make research on different countries and cities,and I find the Philippines very interesting
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 20, 2016
CaptainECole:
lol.. I am a geographer by hobby.. wink though an engineering student, I just make research on different countries and cities,and I find the Philippines very interesting

Oohh that's amazing... grin but have u been to Philippines before?

If u like Cebu, try to search Palawan and the Hundred islands... I myself, feels like a tourist in my own country.. grin grin
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 5:47pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Oohh that's amazing... grin but have u been to Philippines before?

If u like Cebu, try to search Palawan and the Hundred islands... I myself, feels like a tourist in my own country.. grin grin
nah I haven't been to Asia,
Palawan,hundred islands, ok got it.
I heard there are over 7000 islands in Philippines ,just hope there are no crocodiles there grin...
BTW.. I like to meet Pacqiao(hope I got that right )
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 5:52pm On Apr 20, 2016
CaptainECole:
nah I haven't been to Asia,
Palawan,hundred islands, ok got it.
I heard there are over 7000 islands in Philippines ,just hope there are no crocodiles there grin...
BTW.. I like to meet Pacqiao(hope I got that right )

Lol... he's running for a Senator now...so he is all over the Philippines for his campaign grin
Ofcurz we have crocs in Philippines but they breed it for consumption... they said that it's one of the exotic food in my country... tongue
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 6:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Lol... he's running for a Senator now...so he is all over the Philippines for his campaign grin
Ofcurz we have crocs in Philippines but they breed it for consumption... they said that it's one of the exotic food in my country... tongue
you guys eat crocs.. chai... I hate reptiles .. Pacqiao running for Senator? ? I hope he wins.. I see you're in Malaysia, another nice country
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Singapore sorry..
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 6:06pm On Apr 20, 2016
CaptainECole:
you guys eat crocs.. chai... I hate reptiles .. Pacqiao running for Senator? ? I hope he wins.. I see you're in Malaysia, another nice country

Lol..only rich ppol and mostly tourists can afford grin...and besides, if u want to eat crocs, they will allow u to go in the big cage to catch one then they gone cook for u grin grin grin

I'm base in Singapore actually but yes I go to some.part of Asian countries for work grin
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 6:16pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Lol..only rich ppol and mostly tourists can afford grin...and besides, if u want to eat crocs, they will allow u to go in the big cage to catch one then they gone cook for u grin grin grin

I'm base in Singapore actually but yes I go to some.part of Asian countries for work grin
catch crocs :O .. I see you've visited many countries, do you have a Nigerian visa grin .. You could try coming down here in the summer you know wink
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 20, 2016
CaptainECole:
catch crocs :O .. I see you've visited many countries, do you have a Nigerian visa grin .. You could try coming down here in the summer you know wink

Nope, actually I never been to Africa yet..but the last time.I discussed with my boss about traveling down to Ng, she wasn't convinced at all.. cry

But hopefully, I cud convince her nxtime...
Re: 5 Most Common Nigerian Pidgin English Words and their Origin by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2016
KashyBaby:

Nope, actually I never been to Africa yet..but the last time.I discussed with my boss about traveling down to Ng, she wasn't convinced at all.. cry

But hopefully, I cud convince her nxtime...
okay .. hopefully .. will be expecting u in d nearest future smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-akoko: Post Ume Date Is Out! / OAU Student Dressed As A Sexy Nun Turns Heads / Adegboye Olatunji: I Was Charmed By Cultists – Ilaro Poly SUG President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.