Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone (50561 Views)

Top 5 Apps For The New Premier League Season 2018/2019. / 5 Apps That Drain Your Smartphone Battery The Most / What Are The First 5 Apps You Will Install When You Get A New Phone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by nze4al(m): 4:49pm On Apr 19, 2016
Smartphones if not taking good care of becomes “dumb phones”. This is all about the unnecessary apps that not only take up storage space, but can also affect your handset’s performance, data, and battery life. Well, enough is enough – it’s time to clean up your smartphone and set it free. Here are five apps I suggest you should remove right now from your smartphone.

1. Battery savers apps
Battery-saving apps are often bunch of rubbish. These apps offer a solution to one of the most-loathed smartphone problems in the world and promise miracles. There are only a few exceptions to the truth that battery-saving apps are merely billboards disguised as useful apps.

If you really want to increase your battery life, you have to reduce energy demand from the operating system and all running services and apps.

To fix this, open your Battery settings. Find the app with the highest consumption in the list and forcing close it. Some app errors can also be resolved this way, which might have caused increased energy demand to begin with.

2. Facebook mobile app
The Facebook mobile app allows you to stay connected to your friends and family at all times. It keeps you updated with every notification on birthdays, comments, likes, pokes, friend requests, messages and many others. Alas, this constant connection to others comes at a cost. The app is not only intrusive, but it consumes a lot of data and battery too.

There are many alternatives you can still use to access your Facebook account, such as creating a facebook shortcut on your homepage. If you head to Facebook in Chrome or any good browser on your smartphone, hit the options button and select Add to Home screen, then you’ve got a quick and convenient way to check Facebook without all the resource-intensive bulk of the official app. This will also require less of your smartphone’s data.

3. So-called antivirus apps
You don’t need an antivirus app if all your downloads are done directly from the app store. For an Android device, the Google Play Store can do everything that antivirus apps can. For theft protection, Android Device Manager works securely without an additional app. And whether an app is actually hiding malware, Google checks with the Play Store automatically.

Antivirus apps are only useful if you are often downloading and installing APK files found outside the Play Store. Then, anti-malware apps can examine these apps during installation and offer warnings before you open them. However, you can’t disinfect your smartphone. The best method to do this is – ironically – without an app.

4. Clean Master or any cleaning app
Most Cleaning apps promise to clean up your phone to boost performance. But there only job is to clear cached data left behind when an application is deleted from the phone. It’s not necessary to download a dedicated cleaner. You can do that yourself, Just go to Settings > Storage > and tap Cached data. At the Clear cached data prompt, hit OK.

Alternatively, you can clear the cache of individual apps by going to Settings > Apps > Downloaded and tapping on an app. On the next page, tap Clear Cache.

Clean Master and similar apps often require a lot of battery power, and their in-app advertising has the potential to suck out your monthly data allowance.

5. Your default browser
There are so many better, faster, less data consumption, and more secure, alternatives to the default internet app (assuming your device doesn’t come with Chrome as the default).

Download your favorite browser from our best Android browsers list and, once your choice is made, go to Settings > Apps and tap the browser that you no longer use. Tap Disable on the following page.

Conclusion
You should consider removing any app you don’t use, seems to cause a particularly big battery drain, or consumes excessive data. You can check which apps have the largest impact on the last two things by going to your battery settings page or data usage page in your Settings menu.

Was this helpful? If it was, please don’t forget to share this wonderful tips with your friends and if you need any help on the above tips let us know in the comments below thanks.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/04/19/5-apps-you-should-remove-right-now-from-your-smartphone/

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by ify2nyce(f): 5:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
very goody

2 Likes

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by chubbyswit(m): 5:17pm On Apr 19, 2016
what a beautiful piece of advice. Op thanks
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by abatically(m): 5:22pm On Apr 19, 2016
I agree with all but the default browser, at least for Samsung phones. Samsung browser on the s7 is a great browser that supports ad blocking without rooting. Samsung has also updated it on the s6. Google has disabled ad blocking on their chrome browser. Normally my default browser is chrome but I often use Samsung browser for websites with heavy ads.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Danfuster(m): 5:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
in addition...i think the best way is to root your phone and Uninstal all them bloat ware and if you don't want to root your phone to avoid bricking, just simply disable the apps your not using in the app manager drawer.

N:B be careful what you Uninstall or disable cos some core app/drivers are necessary for the device to run

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Koleman(m): 7:02pm On Apr 19, 2016
Cool. But number 4 sha is not bad. There is a reason why its called default.

2 Likes

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Ewatomi26(f): 7:07pm On Apr 19, 2016
Thanks Op, would make sure I don't install all of the above when I get a smartphone...

For now I don't know what you are talking about, don't you have advice for we with smartGSM

3 Likes

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by richol(m): 7:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
Especially those battery saver apps

2 Likes

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by kwuui(m): 7:49pm On Apr 19, 2016
thanks OP this is helpful.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Scarpon(m): 7:51pm On Apr 19, 2016
I don't have any except no. 5

1 Like

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Nobody: 8:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
Nice write up,,, but u can utilize d full potential of a smartphone only if it's rooted or jailbreak(for iphones) ,,greenity could help u with dat if ar ar rooted with xpose installed,, i go two days with my s3 with greenify, try it and get a smarter phone today grin

1 Like

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Promking: 8:24pm On Apr 19, 2016
OP, let me build on what you have said so far...

I agree with you that all those app that claim to be helping you are indeed killing your battery and co.
The best app to keep on your android device is GREENIFY or if u can spend a few cash, you can get yourself the DONATION PACKAGE (pro version), the benefit of this one is to help you hibernate system apps.

Now what greenify does is, it helps you hibernate(force stop) apps, which entirely shuts down the app. Its better if you are rooted because you can enjoy auto-hibernation and its best if you have xposed installer because with the xposed framework module you can also activate other features.

Now to the reason why i think GREENIFY is the ultimate, first you dont need to uninstall your favourite app, all you need to do is put them to sleep and still keep ur beloved apps. Looking at the app the OP mentioned, we have battery saver, the OP said well on the alternative but if u insist, run ur battery saver app and clean what u wish, when done hibernate the app, job finished

Facebok app, enjoy ur FB app all you want, hibernate it when done

Antivirus :\, not useful to me, all my app are from PS, hibernate when done with the app

Clean master, i strongly insist as this is one of the best app out there, it help to terminate apps causing over heating, manage space on your device, block autostarting apps (root), but once i'm done with all i need, i hibernate with greenify

Default browser....mine has been silenced with greenify donation package along with some system app(youtube on my device is a system app) , not all tho', just be careful on what u hibernate

In conclusion, with just the widget on your homescreen and one tap to hibernate shuts down all user apps and system app and even auto-hibernate incase you forget. If you want to say greenify is consuming battery, you can as well force stop the app itself.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Promking: 8:27pm On Apr 19, 2016
ucsparks:
Nice write up,,, but u can utilize d full potential of a smartphone only if it's rooted or jailbreak(for iphones) ,,greenity could help u with dat if ar ar rooted with xpose installed,, i go two days with my s3 with greenify, try it and get a smarter phone today grin

Guy u sabi better thing, greenify is the surest

1 Like

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by allytinted: 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2016
well.said......thanks bro, more grease to ur elbow
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by harmbhrosz(m): 11:44pm On Apr 19, 2016
nze4al:
Smartphones if not taking good care of becomes “dumb phones”. This is all about the unnecessary apps that not only take up storage space, but can also affect your handset’s performance, data, and battery life. Well, enough is enough – it’s time to clean up your smartphone and set it free. Here are five apps I suggest you should remove right now from your smartphone.

1. Battery savers apps
Battery-saving apps are often bunch of rubbish. These apps offer a solution to one of the most-loathed smartphone problems in the world and promise miracles. There are only a few exceptions to the truth that battery-saving apps are merely billboards disguised as useful apps.

If you really want to increase your battery life, you have to reduce energy demand from the operating system and all running services and apps.

To fix this, open your Battery settings. Find the app with the highest consumption in the list and forcing close it. Some app errors can also be resolved this way, which might have caused increased energy demand to begin with.

2. Facebook mobile app
The Facebook mobile app allows you to stay connected to your friends and family at all times. It keeps you updated with every notification on birthdays, comments, likes, pokes, friend requests, messages and many others. Alas, this constant connection to others comes at a cost. The app is not only intrusive, but it consumes a lot of data and battery too.

There are many alternatives you can still use to access your Facebook account, such as creating a facebook shortcut on your homepage. If you head to Facebook in Chrome or any good browser on your smartphone, hit the options button and select Add to Home screen, then you’ve got a quick and convenient way to check Facebook without all the resource-intensive bulk of the official app. This will also require less of your smartphone’s data.

3. So-called antivirus apps
You don’t need an antivirus app if all your downloads are done directly from the app store. For an Android device, the Google Play Store can do everything that antivirus apps can. For theft protection, Android Device Manager works securely without an additional app. And whether an app is actually hiding malware, Google checks with the Play Store automatically.

Antivirus apps are only useful if you are often downloading and installing APK files found outside the Play Store. Then, anti-malware apps can examine these apps during installation and offer warnings before you open them. However, you can’t disinfect your smartphone. The best method to do this is – ironically – without an app.

4. Clean Master or any cleaning app
Most Cleaning apps promise to clean up your phone to boost performance. But there only job is to clear cached data left behind when an application is deleted from the phone. It’s not necessary to download a dedicated cleaner. You can do that yourself, Just go to Settings > Storage > and tap Cached data. At the Clear cached data prompt, hit OK.

Alternatively, you can clear the cache of individual apps by going to Settings > Apps > Downloaded and tapping on an app. On the next page, tap Clear Cache.

Clean Master and similar apps often require a lot of battery power, and their in-app advertising has the potential to suck out your monthly data allowance.

5. Your default browser
There are so many better, faster, less data consumption, and more secure, alternatives to the default internet app (assuming your device doesn’t come with Chrome as the default).

Download your favorite browser from our best Android browsers list and, once your choice is made, go to Settings > Apps and tap the browser that you no longer use. Tap Disable on the following page.

Conclusion
You should consider removing any app you don’t use, seems to cause a particularly big battery drain, or consumes excessive data. You can check which apps have the largest impact on the last two things by going to your battery settings page or data usage page in your Settings menu.

Was this helpful? If it was, please don’t forget to share this wonderful tips with your friends and if you need any help on the above tips let us know in the comments below thanks.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/04/19/5-apps-you-should-remove-right-now-from-your-smartphone/

Cc: Seun, Lalasticlala, Mynd44
I prefer my default browser to any other

1 Like

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by titi4fola(f): 12:00am On Apr 20, 2016
Thanks for the info.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by obajoey(m): 5:02am On Apr 20, 2016
That facebook consume a lot of data space.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by olahero(m): 6:27am On Apr 20, 2016
I can't uninstall Default browser and Facebook but the rest is not on my saved/backup talk less on my phone.

I use default browser Some time to test my network speed.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Johnny19: 7:25am On Apr 20, 2016
GBAAM!!!! OP you have said it all
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by chudyprince: 8:05am On Apr 20, 2016
Op my phone says screen and phone idle has consumed 80% of my battery, are they uninstallable too... Lol, u tried sha
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by chudyprince: 8:05am On Apr 20, 2016
Op my phone says screen and phone idle has consumed 95% of my battery, are they uninstallable too... Lol, u tried sha
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by milky3(f): 8:40am On Apr 20, 2016
few weeks ago I have to uninstall unnecessary apps to free up some space... nice piece
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by joey150(m): 9:17am On Apr 20, 2016
chudyprince:
Op my phone says screen and phone idle has consumed 95% of my battery, are they uninstallable too... Lol, u tried sha
reduce your brightness and make sure background sync or something isnt continually running in stand by mode.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by jailsarakiCCT: 9:26am On Apr 20, 2016
true talk
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Lilimax(f): 9:27am On Apr 20, 2016
Nice information!
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Nobody: 9:29am On Apr 20, 2016
Thanks op, i'm smarter than my smartphone so all the aforementioned had been taken care of right from time.

1 Like

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Ada9103(f): 9:29am On Apr 20, 2016
Again? Na too kukuma uninstall every damb thing in my phone. The last time it was flash share, now my sweet antivirus okkkkkkk
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by shegzan(m): 9:29am On Apr 20, 2016
ok sha... Lemme check if I still hv dose mentioned apps on my fone!
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Okijajuju1(m): 9:29am On Apr 20, 2016
OP... You Forgot Angry Birds. angry

4 Likes

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by femi4: 9:29am On Apr 20, 2016
Point no 3 is fallacy. You can't be on Android OS without using antivirus. Your phone will crash sooner than later.
Android OS is an open source and its not safe.
Not all android apps can be gotten from playstore
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by loomer: 9:29am On Apr 20, 2016
Make we kuku throw the phone away

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Proposed Data Plans Increase: Hilarious Angry Responses On Ncc's Social Media / Guys: Do You Remember Buying And Using Any Of These? / The Fraud In Slot Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.