Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone (50567 Views)

Top 5 Apps For The New Premier League Season 2018/2019. / 5 Apps That Drain Your Smartphone Battery The Most / What Are The First 5 Apps You Will Install When You Get A New Phone? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by fairheven: 11:15am On Apr 20, 2016
justmenoni:
Op i think all you have said is based on your own opinion..the only one i agree with you on is the batter saving app..it never worked for me so i don't bother installing them..but why won't i have facebook app, google chrome(i currently have over 200 sites opened down on it), antivirus app( ask those people that watch po}} on their phones especially the naija's po{{ ooo, u will be asked to click on this pics to see more and voila virus don enter ur phone be dat)

well to me the best way to reduce loads on ur phone is to delete videos and if possible delete games and most importantly delete apps that you don't use,i have got apps that i haven't touched this year and all i hv to do is delete them when i need space on my phone and just incase that i need them later on,all i have to do is re-install them oooo i have got unlimited wifi tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

guy Facebook app is a no no. it eats your data, drains your battery... if in doubt Google "Facebook app battery drain"

Facebook itself is a no go area for. Nothing good about it. the moment I heard they were monitoring my convo, I pick race
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by justmenoni: 11:44am On Apr 20, 2016
Your opinion.

me i get unlimited internet i get..

fairheven:

guy Facebook app is a no no. it eats your data, drains your battery... if in doubt Google "Facebook app battery drain"

Facebook itself is a no go area for. Nothing good about it. the moment I heard they were monitoring my convo, I pick race
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Greatzeus(m): 11:53am On Apr 20, 2016
nze4al:
Smartphones if not taking good care of becomes “dumb phones”. This is all about the unnecessary apps that not only take up storage space, but can also affect your handset’s performance, data, and battery life. Well, enough is enough – it’s time to clean up your smartphone and set it free. Here are five apps I suggest you should remove right now from your smartphone.

1. Battery savers apps
Battery-saving apps are often bunch of rubbish. These apps offer a solution to one of the most-loathed smartphone problems in the world and promise miracles. There are only a few exceptions to the truth that battery-saving apps are merely billboards disguised as useful apps.

If you really want to increase your battery life, you have to reduce energy demand from the operating system and all running services and apps.

To fix this, open your Battery settings. Find the app with the highest consumption in the list and forcing close it. Some app errors can also be resolved this way, which might have caused increased energy demand to begin with.

2. Facebook mobile app
The Facebook mobile app allows you to stay connected to your friends and family at all times. It keeps you updated with every notification on birthdays, comments, likes, pokes, friend requests, messages and many others. Alas, this constant connection to others comes at a cost. The app is not only intrusive, but it consumes a lot of data and battery too.

There are many alternatives you can still use to access your Facebook account, such as creating a facebook shortcut on your homepage. If you head to Facebook in Chrome or any good browser on your smartphone, hit the options button and select Add to Home screen, then you’ve got a quick and convenient way to check Facebook without all the resource-intensive bulk of the official app. This will also require less of your smartphone’s data.

3. So-called antivirus apps
You don’t need an antivirus app if all your downloads are done directly from the app store. For an Android device, the Google Play Store can do everything that antivirus apps can. For theft protection, Android Device Manager works securely without an additional app. And whether an app is actually hiding malware, Google checks with the Play Store automatically.

Antivirus apps are only useful if you are often downloading and installing APK files found outside the Play Store. Then, anti-malware apps can examine these apps during installation and offer warnings before you open them. However, you can’t disinfect your smartphone. The best method to do this is – ironically – without an app.

4. Clean Master or any cleaning app
Most Cleaning apps promise to clean up your phone to boost performance. But there only job is to clear cached data left behind when an application is deleted from the phone. It’s not necessary to download a dedicated cleaner. You can do that yourself, Just go to Settings > Storage > and tap Cached data. At the Clear cached data prompt, hit OK.

Alternatively, you can clear the cache of individual apps by going to Settings > Apps > Downloaded and tapping on an app. On the next page, tap Clear Cache.

Clean Master and similar apps often require a lot of battery power, and their in-app advertising has the potential to suck out your monthly data allowance.

5. Your default browser
There are so many better, faster, less data consumption, and more secure, alternatives to the default internet app (assuming your device doesn’t come with Chrome as the default).

Download your favorite browser from our best Android browsers list and, once your choice is made, go to Settings > Apps and tap the browser that you no longer use. Tap Disable on the following page.

Conclusion
You should consider removing any app you don’t use, seems to cause a particularly big battery drain, or consumes excessive data. You can check which apps have the largest impact on the last two things by going to your battery settings page or data usage page in your Settings menu.

Was this helpful? If it was, please don’t forget to share this wonderful tips with your friends and if you need any help on the above tips let us know in the comments below thanks.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/04/19/5-apps-you-should-remove-right-now-from-your-smartphone/

My wireless is always turned off,but whenever I check items using battery most,it always show wireless also,using a significant percentage, pls what's the cause.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Franky826: 12:01pm On Apr 20, 2016
Ada9103:
Again? Na too kukuma uninstall every damb thing in my phone. The last time it was flash share, now my sweet antivirus okkkkkkk

you might as well switch back to java or feature phones grin . but honestly those battery savers and cleaners my battery have been superb without them. Antivirus is good if you get a good one. Android is nice if you do some tweaks but especially root. with these few points of mine I strongly believe I have finally confused you to go back to Nokia torch. Thank you don't mention grin grin grin
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Franky826: 12:14pm On Apr 20, 2016
neocortex:

Actually antivirus are useless on android , they can't stop a malicious code
from compromising your phone, they serve only aesthetic purpose.

aesthetic purpose I transfered avg pro to a friends phone scanned it and found out 4 infected files and 6 malware? please explain
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Ada9103(f): 12:29pm On Apr 20, 2016
Franky826:

you might as well switch back to java or feature phones grin . but honestly those battery savers and cleaners my battery have been superb without them. Antivirus is good if you get a good one. Android is nice if you do some tweaks but especially root. with these few points of mine I strongly believe I have finally confused you to go back to Nokia torch. Thank you don't mention grin grin grin

Lolzzzzzz....
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by jiggar(m): 2:03pm On Apr 20, 2016
"Taps mic and clear throat"

Majority of those apps the op said are battery drainers, are almost correct, except for the clean master app. I can't do without clean master on my phone, it does a wonderful job of cleaning my phone.

"Drops mic and leaves"
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by yesboss20(m): 2:13pm On Apr 20, 2016
Franky826:

aesthetic purpose I transfered avg pro to a friends phone scanned it and found out 4 infected files and 6 malware? please explain

The fact that the application detected some malware and/or infected files does not mean they were actually viruses. The said files may just be files with extensions that are unfamiliar to the AVG antivirus. Thus, it would tag them "viruses." Point to note is with Avast antivirus on PCs - the software tags so many files as infected only for the user to discover they are either game files, shortcuts, other software extensions or actual viruses.

You should look into the type of system files running on your Android device through a PC and make your own check. You'd understand better.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Franky826: 3:11pm On Apr 20, 2016
yesboss20:

The fact that the application detected some malware and/or infected files does not mean they were actually viruses. The said files may just be files with extensions that are unfamiliar to the AVG antivirus. Thus, it would tag them "viruses." Point to note is with Avast antivirus on PCs - the software tags so many files as infected only for the user to discover they are either game files, shortcuts, other software extensions or actual viruses.

You should look into the type of system files running on your Android device through a PC and make your own check. You'd understand better.

his phone was behaving funny then but now they are fine. I understand what you meant when you say that antivirus can tag extensions or files as a threat or malware/virus but does this do away with the fact that there are viruses in an OPEN SOURCE android bro anti viruses are programs and if they are coded in such a way to detect even clean master or any reliable app even from playstore that's exactly what they'd do.
or maybe am in the dark to your opinions (which are true) but in this case I scanned His phone detected virus, took care of it and, work done. Have a virus free day bro peace grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by FunmyKemmy(f): 3:15pm On Apr 20, 2016
Great tips.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by frehage: 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2016
joey150:
reduce your brightness and make sure background sync or something isnt continually running in stand by mode.

Please, how do I disable gmail sync? Can't remember how I did it the last time.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by frehage: 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2016
joey150:
reduce your brightness and make sure background sync or something isnt continually running in stand by mode.

Please, how do I disable Gmail sync? Can't remember how I did it the last time.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by joey150(m): 4:28pm On Apr 20, 2016
frehage:

Please, how do I disable Gmail sync? Can't remember how I did it the last time.
go to settings>>>general settings>>>acounts and sync then select gmail or turn off sync completely by unticking auto sync
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Eleganza33(f): 4:46pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Smooyis(m): 4:53pm On Apr 20, 2016
Very informative and educative.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by frehage: 5:12pm On Apr 20, 2016
joey150:
go to settings>>>general settings>>>acounts and sync then select gmail or turn off sync completely by unticking auto sync

Thanks.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by BrainnewsNg(f): 5:20pm On Apr 20, 2016
abatically:
I agree with all but the default browser, at least for Samsung phones. Samsung browser on the s7 is a great browser that supports ad blocking without rooting. Samsung has also updated it on the s6. Google has disabled ad blocking on their chrome browser. Normally my default browser is chrome but I often use Samsung browser for websites with heavy ads.

Others apps listed by the op can go, but for the default let it be.

Its work is sometimes uncompareable.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Youngpo413: 7:54am On Apr 22, 2016
ucsparks:
Nice write up,,, but u can utilize d full potential of a smartphone only if it's rooted or jailbreak(for iphones) ,,greenity could help u with dat if ar ar rooted with xpose installed,, i go two days with my s3 with greenify, try it and get a smarter phone today grin
xposed installer or xposed module cos I see both in playstore.
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by Youngpo413: 7:57am On Apr 22, 2016
Promking:
OP, let me build on what you have said so far...

I agree with you that all those app that claim to be helping you are indeed killing your battery and co.
The best app to keep on your android device is GREENIFY or if u can spend a few cash, you can get yourself the DONATION PACKAGE (pro version), the benefit of this one is to help you hibernate system apps.

Now what greenify does is, it helps you hibernate(force stop) apps, which entirely shuts down the app. Its better if you are rooted because you can enjoy auto-hibernation and its best if you have xposed installer because with the xposed framework module you can also activate other features.

Now to the reason why i think GREENIFY is the ultimate, first you dont need to uninstall your favourite app, all you need to do is put them to sleep and still keep ur beloved apps. Looking at the app the OP mentioned, we have battery saver, the OP said well on the alternative but if u insist, run ur battery saver app and clean what u wish, when done hibernate the app, job finished

Facebok app, enjoy ur FB app all you want, hibernate it when done

Antivirus :\, not useful to me, all my app are from PS, hibernate when done with the app

Clean master, i strongly insist as this is one of the best app out there, it help to terminate apps causing over heating, manage space on your device, block autostarting apps (root), but once i'm done with all i need, i hibernate with greenify

Default browser....mine has been silenced with greenify donation package along with some system app(youtube on my device is a system app) , not all tho', just be careful on what u hibernate

In conclusion, with just the widget on your homescreen and one tap to hibernate shuts down all user apps and system app and even auto-hibernate incase you forget. If you want to say greenify is consuming battery, you can as well force stop the app itself.
how are these xposed used, and do you need to install both,?
Re: Here's The 5 Apps You Should Remove Right Now From Your Smartphone by ify84(m): 2:29pm On Apr 22, 2016
nze4al:
Smartphones if not

2. Facebook mobile app
The Facebook mobile app allows you to stay connected to your friends and family at all times. It keeps you updated with every notification on birthdays, comments, likes, pokes, friend requests, messages and many others. Alas, this constant connection to others comes at a cost. The app is not only intrusive, but it consumes a lot of data and battery too.

There are many alternatives you can still use to access your Facebook account, such as creating a facebook shortcut on your homepage. If you head to Facebook in Chrome or any good browser on your smartphone, hit the options button and select Add to Home screen, then you’ve got a quick and convenient way to check Facebook without all the resource-intensive bulk of the official app. This will also require less of your smartphone’s data.

Source: http://www.techmzy.com.ng/2016/04/19/5-apps-you-should-remove-right-now-from-your-smartphone/

But, Its only Facebook app that allows me to mention persons on fb.... My Opera don't and my uc Web don't.... Chrome is too heavy, and I doubt if it allows me to mention too... So what's d alternative apart from chrome...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is Your Highest Views On Your Whatsapp Status...see Mine / Proposed Data Plans Increase: Hilarious Angry Responses On Ncc's Social Media / Guys: Do You Remember Buying And Using Any Of These?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.