Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,043 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos (19753 Views)

Strawberry Seed For Sale / Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by BE811APP: 8:35pm On Apr 19, 2016
mhen..
its bad...
the rains are here.. so its expected
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by gunther6(m): 8:37pm On Apr 19, 2016
I ate tons of Strawberry during my service year... Plateau is a beautiful place but for the scourge of 'Fulani' herdsmen.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by jaksabbey(m): 8:38pm On Apr 19, 2016
Like seriously like undecided
jojothaiv:

Noted, just in case you come back lati so wipe e consign u...
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by tete7000(m): 8:42pm On Apr 19, 2016
President Buhari over to you o. Opportunity to diversify.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Cutezt(m): 8:52pm On Apr 19, 2016
amtaken:
I wanna buy.

I don't know what the op is saying but strawberry is still in abundance in Plateau State,whete I come from,they will show you many strawberries in a disposable plate and tell you its 200,its still in Plateau State as at last month.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by realnas(m): 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2016
The surest means through which the govt can encourage more patronage and consumption of locally produced berries is by increasing the import tarriffs on imported berries that way it wil cost more to import forcin them to patronise local produce

2 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by mypains: 9:08pm On Apr 19, 2016
Farmpride:
A year ago a reporter traced a community where strawberry is grown in commercial quantity. Some readers were surprised to know that the fruit grows here in Nigeria,as was I.
One year after, the reporter returned to the community to see what changes have occurred, what new technology has been brought into the farming of the crop; and whether the product’s marketing challenges have been solved.
Apparently the strawberry farming, which until recently, is not a common practice here in Nigeria, is now the most important produce that shapes the economy of the people of Chaha, where almost every adult has a strawberry farm. Chaha seems to have huge potentials for strawberry, coffee and other fruit trees, as a visit to the community convinces one.
With the cold weather that characterizes the highland of Plateau State, the ground favors the production of strawberry, which has now been domesticated in the village since 2001.
The fruit has the potentials to breed new generations of millionaires in Chaha if access to market is broadened, because the farmers are between the ages of 20 to 35.

However finding buyers is an issue, most harvest about 600kg weekly, but end up selling 400kg because they have to give ‘Jara’(an extra on the quantity bought) to the women buying.
“We don’t just know where else to sell this product ,but we are told that the demand is high in some places in Nigeria. Most of our farmers here have not traveled outside Plateau State,” a farmer noted.
Sadly most of the big malls in the country are import the product, while these farmers don’t have where to sell theirs.
Strawberry has enormous health benefits to humans. It has been used in a medicinal context to help people with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.
Experts said strawberry provides good source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese and potassium, strawberries provide high amounts of vitamin C.

http://www.farmpridenatural.com/2016/03/25/strawberry-farming-crippled-jos/
Any smart person reading this NOW should serve as a broker and Lagos will be the best market for such at the moment.

Another hint: The seeds are sold on aliexpress.com if you wish to buy and start planting.

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
Talking of corruption, we all have to collectively fight it or else we pay dearly for it. I followed a tanker just yesterday that left warri refinery and I decided to know it's final destination and how much they will sell the product. They discharged yesterday and refused to sell. But to my greatest surprised this morning while driving past the station, I saw them selling and the meter was reading N190 / liter. I called the manager's attention to my findings and he threatened to deal with me with the army posted to the station. I tried to explained the situation to others but they all blame Buhari for their woes and predicament. Fellow Niaralander how can we be this wicked to ourselves in this country? I saw over 8 truckloads of PMS entering Warri alone today viewing from the vintage position of my office along the NPA express way, yet all except the NNPC sells at N86 whenever they have the product, which is seldom anyway.

2 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Onegai(f): 9:14pm On Apr 19, 2016
Farmpride, how much is needed to start a nagging and shipping business of strawberries? Thanks
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by sisisioge: 9:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
Wowzer! Didn't know we grow strawberries here o. Good one.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Bgorgeous: 9:40pm On Apr 19, 2016
How can l contact this pple l need a link to them please. Please establish a link so we can do good business . we need it badly here in the south that ,apple grape please
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Phaity: 9:46pm On Apr 19, 2016
Interesting. Didn't know strawberries grew in Nigeria also. Government need to help these farmer to promote their product.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by VajanahDischaj(f): 9:51pm On Apr 19, 2016
parzdor:
Plateau the beautiful among all 36 i love my state and the beautiful pple
I'm from Cross Rivers. . . I luv Jos to da core. I wish to visit and even get a land there to build and reside.

Rich city!Rich vegetation!!
but all those jealous amPa boys wey dey plant bomb de spoil runs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by ozome15(m): 10:06pm On Apr 19, 2016
Cutezt:
I don't know what the op is saying but strawberry is still in abundance in Plateau State,whete I come from,they will show you many strawberries in a disposable plate and tell you its 200,its still in Plateau State as at last month.
are you sure, so if I say buy and supply to me now can u. Or if I say cum let go to ur place in plateau will u
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by IZZIFLOW(m): 10:21pm On Apr 19, 2016
all My stay in CSJ I never knew Chaha had strawberries....nice
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Franky826: 10:49pm On Apr 19, 2016
amtaken:
I wanna buy.

seconded
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 19, 2016
Let me tell my father Dangote,i will get back at you.kindly drop your bbm pin or email me your phone number...thank you
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Franky826: 10:51pm On Apr 19, 2016
gunther6:
I ate tons of Strawberry during my service year... Plateau is a beautiful place but for the scourge of 'Fulani' herdsmen.

really?
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Gerrard59(m): 10:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
This is where Nigerian entrepreneuers need to come and invest now that there's little or no competition. It shouldn't be when South Africans or Indians enter the industry that we start mis-using the word "Nationlization".

Additionally, lots of Nigerian firms(SMES to even large firms) need extremely good consulting/consultants to move their businesses forward. This is where the likes of Mckinesy, BCG,.AT Kearney, Bain and Co need to intensify their efforts. Sometimes I wish I could graduate now and become a management consultant!!!!
Nigeria does need its best and brightest to be more and more active in the economy not just the O&G industry.

Finally, if you know you don't have anything reasonable to say concerning the topic, why not just save Nairaland from this flagrant waste of the swathe of space in the first page.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Cutezt(m): 11:00pm On Apr 19, 2016
ozome15:
are you sure, so if I say buy and supply to me now can u. Or if I say cum let go to ur place in plateau will u
lol.y wont I,but right now,am in Lagos,might be going back by next month,but you can ask anybody about that mararaban jama'a roundabout,thats where the sellers stay,with orange,mangoes and many other fruits,I was born and bred in Plateau State,I know almost every street in jos..am very sure
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by menacetosociety: 11:03pm On Apr 19, 2016
I fit dey produce Strawberry jam o

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by redcliff: 11:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
Mortiano:
I would have been d first to comment on this story but

All these peoples dat commented beforee me, dia is good; when will i be d first to comment at least let me join small boys n girls in fighting for first to comment because those kind things they sweet me; i remember when i was still in primary school; we normally rush and clamb for whom will be d first to finish to finish; sometimes i have to skip some sentences and paragraph inorder to shout i finished first. At the end ur note will have no meaning
Just like your post did... tufia

1 Like

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by am4truth(m): 11:16pm On Apr 19, 2016
[quote author=Bgorgeous post=44856831]How can l contact this pple l need a link to them please. Please establish a link so we can do good business . we need it badly here in the south that ,apple grape please[/quote

I stay in Jos, let me know the information u need as regarding this product.
Cheers
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Tinyemeka(m): 11:52pm On Apr 19, 2016
parzdor:
Plateau the beautiful among all 36 i love my state and the beautiful pple

Who you epp?

Assist them find a buyer for their strawberry na! angry

Endtime lover. undecided
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by okuneddie(m): 12:26am On Apr 20, 2016
OP dem dey grow am for saudana local govt area in Taraba state.....Gembu and mambilla plateau precisely, the coldest place in Nigeria.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by sam90s(m): 1:59am On Apr 20, 2016
They probably have problem with storage, when harvesting, temperature controlled container must be used or else the heat will cause condensation and that will speed up decomposition which you don't want, once again, government need to assist these farmers with the required skills and funds for that. Market shouldn't be a probkem considering all these fruit juice and yogurt factories we have, not to mention the fancy supermarkets, well, it is well.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by pureHoney2: 2:35am On Apr 20, 2016
There is market for strawberry, they just need to explore it.never knew we could produce such in naija.
I sell original honey. Click my name for my contact
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by jojothaiv(m): 3:00am On Apr 20, 2016
jaksabbey:
Like seriously like undecided
O serious gan.... Pardon my Yoruba blunder o...
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by amtaken(f): 3:32am On Apr 20, 2016
He's saying that the farmers have surplus and don't know who to sell to or what to do with it.

Cutezt:
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by BlackOnassis(m): 4:46am On Apr 20, 2016
Smoothie and Ice cream makers use strawberries. Even fine hotels and restaurants serve them with dessert. A very good marketing manager can help these farms sell their produce.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Mortiano(m): 6:36am On Apr 20, 2016
redcliff:
Just like your post did... tufia
are u for real; i'm not ur problem abeg
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Cutezt(m): 7:33am On Apr 20, 2016
amtaken:
He's saying that the farmers have surplus and don't know who to sell to or what to do with it.

seriously eenn,I am.not interested in that business now,am a very busy person,I hardly hav tym for that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Professional Training And Capacity Building In Commercial Snail Farming & Export / Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. / Official Launching Of Niger Star Rice (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.