Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,411 members, 7,815,917 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos (19751 Views)

Strawberry Seed For Sale / Fresh From My 4hecter Of Maize Farm Live In Jos. Bountiful Harvest. / Tomato Jos: Mira Metha, Harvard Graduate Who Is A Tomato Farmer In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by justmenoni: 8:16am On Apr 20, 2016
Are u number 4?

quote author=jaksabbey post=44854299]Abegi, ewo lo kanmi mbe

For the first time.......

Jst that I don't gbadun dis issue of berry jaree[/quote]
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by dominique(f): 9:57am On Apr 20, 2016
Strawberries are very perishable and need to be kept below room temperature at all times. Sadly the farmers may not have enough equipment to preserve the strawberries. This is where a smart thinking entrepreneur should come in. Before you can go into distribution of these fruits you need to device means of keeping them preserved, from transporting them, to storing then supplying. Quite expensive but very doable.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by herrdeustch: 10:57am On Apr 20, 2016
Its actually quite a simple matter .The problem here is ignorance.I remember over 10 years ago my family made a trip to Jos and we lodged at the ECWA guest house there.Apart from the cold , the only other memorable thing was the fresh strawberry jam I had for breakfast(and fresh milk as well). So my submission to the farmers of strawberry in Plateau state is that they need to locally add value to their produce by:
1. Making strawberry jam (This will naturally be cheaper than the imported types and can definitely be made to a decent or even very high standard)
2.Developing a marketing strategy that will put that jam on every table in Nigeria. They can market through Konga, Jumia etc
3. If they are successful in convincing Nigerians to eat their bread with local strawberry jam, then that is just the beginning of greater things to come.
A lot of stuff we consume in Nigeria like jam actually comes from communities abroad such as the ones we have in Plateau who have taken the bull by the horns and added value to their farming activities by creating consumer products, finding local and foreign markets and smiling to the bank all year round.It may not be very easy in the beginning, but victory is certain. Right now I have a jar of jam sitting in my fridge and I absolutely have nothing against having that fresh locally made in Jos strawberry jam taste again-I am a Jam buyer!
Farmpride:
A year ago a reporter traced a community where strawberry is grown in commercial quantity. Some readers were surprised to know that the fruit grows here in Nigeria,as was I.
One year after, the reporter returned to the community to see what changes have occurred, what new technology has been brought into the farming of the crop; and whether the product’s marketing challenges have been solved.
Apparently the strawberry farming, which until recently, is not a common practice here in Nigeria, is now the most important produce that shapes the economy of the people of Chaha, where almost every adult has a strawberry farm. Chaha seems to have huge potentials for strawberry, coffee and other fruit trees, as a visit to the community convinces one.
With the cold weather that characterizes the highland of Plateau State, the ground favors the production of strawberry, which has now been domesticated in the village since 2001.
The fruit has the potentials to breed new generations of millionaires in Chaha if access to market is broadened, because the farmers are between the ages of 20 to 35.

However finding buyers is an issue, most harvest about 600kg weekly, but end up selling 400kg because they have to give ‘Jara’(an extra on the quantity bought) to the women buying.
“We don’t just know where else to sell this product ,but we are told that the demand is high in some places in Nigeria. Most of our farmers here have not traveled outside Plateau State,” a farmer noted.
Sadly most of the big malls in the country are import the product, while these farmers don’t have where to sell theirs.
Strawberry has enormous health benefits to humans. It has been used in a medicinal context to help people with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.
Experts said strawberry provides good source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese and potassium, strawberries provide high amounts of vitamin C.

http://www.farmpridenatural.com/2016/03/25/strawberry-farming-crippled-jos/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by parzdor(m): 8:04am On Apr 26, 2016
VajanahDischaj:
I'm from Cross Rivers. . . I luv Jos to da core. I wish to visit and even get a land there to build and reside.

Rich city!Rich vegetation!!
but all those jealous amPa boys wey dey plant bomb de spoil runs.
its so easy to get 1 here as the pple are so welcoming and loving forget alla those ampa boys stuf that was then j town is much safer and peaceful now give it a trial
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
emtee22:
i love berries... especially black berries grin grin grin

Is it delicious?
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by VajanahDischaj(f): 6:46pm On Apr 26, 2016
parzdor:
its so easy to get 1 here as the pple are so welcoming and loving forget alla those ampa boys stuf that was then j town is much safer and peaceful now give it a trial
I'd visit soon, I'd soon be going on a course at police school.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by parzdor(m): 10:53pm On Apr 26, 2016
VajanahDischaj:
I'd visit soon, I'd soon be going on a course at police school.
which one of the police school is it jos main PTS mopol 8 or staff college
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by VajanahDischaj(f): 11:36pm On Apr 27, 2016
parzdor:
which one of the police school is it jos main PTS mopol 8 or staff college
staff college.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by dashiki(f): 6:04pm On Sep 02, 2016
[quote author=am4truth post=44859403][/quote]

Hello, I sent you a mail. Kindly reply. Thanks!
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Idaraudoh: 4:49am On Mar 30, 2017
Please I need a link to a strawberry farmer. And any suggestions on how to safely transport the produce without perishing?

3 Likes

Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by unimke21(m): 2:44pm On Apr 01, 2017
pls contact me.. I supply strawberry frm jos to any location nationwide 08065589831.
Re: Strawberry Farming Crippled In Jos by Konquest: 6:05am On Aug 13, 2017
Farmpride:
A year ago a reporter traced a community where strawberry is grown in commercial quantity. Some readers were surprised to know that the fruit grows here in Nigeria,as was I.
One year after, the reporter returned to the community to see what changes have occurred, what new technology has been brought into the farming of the crop; and whether the product’s marketing challenges have been solved.
Apparently the strawberry farming, which until recently, is not a common practice here in Nigeria, is now the most important produce that shapes the economy of the people of Chaha, where almost every adult has a strawberry farm. Chaha seems to have huge potentials for strawberry, coffee and other fruit trees, as a visit to the community convinces one.
With the cold weather that characterizes the highland of Plateau State, the ground favors the production of strawberry, which has now been domesticated in the village since 2001.
The fruit has the potentials to breed new generations of millionaires in Chaha if access to market is broadened, because the farmers are between the ages of 20 to 35.

However finding buyers is an issue, most harvest about 600kg weekly, but end up selling 400kg because they have to give ‘Jara’(an extra on the quantity bought) to the women buying.
“We don’t just know where else to sell this product ,but we are told that the demand is high in some places in Nigeria. Most of our farmers here have not traveled outside Plateau State,” a farmer noted.
Sadly most of the big malls in the country are import the product, while these farmers don’t have where to sell theirs.
Strawberry has enormous health benefits to humans. It has been used in a medicinal context to help people with digestive ailments, teeth whitening and skin irritations.
Experts said strawberry provides good source of vitamins C and K as well as providing a good dose of fiber, folic acid, manganese and potassium, strawberries provide high amounts of vitamin C.

http://www.farmpridenatural.com/2016/03/25/strawberry-farming-crippled-jos/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. / Professional Training And Capacity Building In Commercial Snail Farming & Export / Official Launching Of Niger Star Rice (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.