Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria (25205 Views)

CBN Amends New Forex Policy Over Controversy / Forex Policy: IMF Lauds CBN, Naira Appreciates / CBN Forex Policy Irreversible — Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by signz: 9:00am On Apr 21, 2016
[quote author=onatisi post=44896295][/quote]

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a prophet in our midst.

All that he has prophesied have come to pass wink
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by diegwu01: 9:02am On Apr 21, 2016
emi14:

Iberia is Spanish airline. One of the first class airline that have been in Nigeria since the opening ceremony of MMA. They are well known.
Iberia is nowhere near the top fliers.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by dacovajnr: 9:03am On Apr 21, 2016
TPAND:

Gala really missed it with that size reduction. I be professional hold-up gala consumer. That new gala size is a no no... The dough is now stronger, the beef looks compromised in texture and less tastier than the usual Gala we use to know.
See as Change turn una to Gala analyst grin grin

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by diegwu01: 9:04am On Apr 21, 2016
Oliviaxx:

You are not based in Nigeria so really, you cant make these decisions for us.if only you know how difficult things have become these past few months,u wouldn't call it sacrifice....oh,thank God you said 'sacrfies' not 'sacrifice'
How exactly have things become difficult?
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by musicwriter(m): 9:05am On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStokes:

And there you get it all wrong...

Well, you're free to remain a western stooge, individually. Fortunately, you're not in a position to make decision that would affect me or the entire nation.

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by TPAND(f): 9:06am On Apr 21, 2016
dacovajnr:
See as Change turn una to Gala analyst grin grin

ooo boy no be small thing oo. Change just scatter many many things. Man dey vex ooo cry cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by dacovajnr: 9:06am On Apr 21, 2016
TPAND:

Gala really missed it with that size reduction. I be professional hold-up gala consumer. That new gala size is a no no... The dough is now stronger, the beef looks compromised in texture and less tastier than the usual Gala we use to know.
See as Change turn una to Gala analyst...Change has really Dealt us a Huge blow that We don dey discover our hidden talents grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:07am On Apr 21, 2016
musicwriter:

Well, you're free to remain a western stooge, individually. Fortunately, you're not in a position to make decision that would affect me or the entire nation.

I see how those with your mindset are running the country aground.

It's high time Africans understand that the world does not revolve around them. People do things that are best for themselves and for the group. So better to stop being cynical and all paranoia.

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:08am On Apr 21, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Nothing they happen....who iberia help?......
We know ur clever by half and ur moniker confirms ur pediatric intelligence buh you don't really have to display it for the world to see. We have enough to laugh about already
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by chuksmad(m): 9:10am On Apr 21, 2016
eshietIntrepid:
The fact that oliseh analysed and criticised every step of keshi doesn't mean he can do the job.

Apc saw nothing good in pdp especially gej lead govt. Doesn't mean they (apc) can govern.

My mind is at rest I didn't vote for apc as a matter of fact I knew this could happen.
Believe me, if APC was in power for the last 16yrs, we wouldn't have been enjoying this GSM and internet penetration everybody is enjoying now

2 Likes

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by Fem60(m): 9:10am On Apr 21, 2016
Many people here are still looking for how to make money and
withdraw it directly to their bank account.

This is the reason why you need this 20days on how to make
over $500 monthly on your . this training is completely
free and you can invite your friends who have been looking
for the best way to make money online.

The guy really tried. i saw it and i try to share it with you.
Get it here;

==-- https://www.nairaland.com/3057630/20days-free-training-how-turn

Please dont get it and keep it, share it with your friends and family.
is a proofing system that can move you from $0 to over $500 monthly
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 21, 2016
dexterinc2003:
this iberia name sef,i dont think many of us know them oh.
You obviously didn't read the op and are poorly coached in current affairs. The national carrier of a thriving tourist hub as Spain and you come here talking thrash because of ur partisanship. Which national carrier Nigeria get?
My brother swerve!
Get a proper education

2 Likes

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by musicwriter(m): 9:16am On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStokes:

It's high time Africans understand that the world does not revolve around them. People do things that are best for themselves and for the group. So better to stop being cynical and all paranoia.

The decision by Buhari is in your best interest in the LONG RUN. Of course, they'll be initial hardship.

But, whether we go the IMF way or not, there'll be hardship, anywhere.

Stop looking for quick fixes!. It has been our undoing in this continent.

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by signz: 9:17am On Apr 21, 2016
bjbukzy:

Bro chill! China underwent this process som yrs ago by practically closing all it sectors of economy to the outside world.
with this policy, investors from nigeria can invest in this sector without the fear that another carrier with unlimited capital base can run it out of business (and charge us drastically after) and also govt will be able to generate revenue from it.
Nigerians pays for this flight and all the money is taken to anither country....

Educate me where u think i am wrong.

You can Google how Deng liberalised China and encouraged foreign investments. PMB was once compared to Deng.

No man is an Island and especially now in 21st century, no country can survive without free trade except you want Nigeria to be North Korea.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:18am On Apr 21, 2016
musicwriter:

The decision by Buhari is in your best interest in the LONG RUN. Of course, they'll be initial hardship.

But, whether we go the IMF way or not, there'll be hardship.

Change with hardship that breeds anarchy, is not progress.

A wise philosopher already told us that: "the art of progress is preserving order amidst change and change amidst order". What we are witnessing is change no doubt but not progressive change.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by omonnakoda: 9:21am On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStokes:

The converse is equally true. The real issue is why we do not have a National Carrier.That is the core of the issue ,in fact this indicates how such a carrier trading in Naira will be in a strong position. Iberia acts in Iberia's interest and from that perspective no one can fault them. We too must act in our interest too! Many foreign airlines love Nigeria because it is their most profitable route due to high business class and first class occupancy rates. Still Nigerians do not get fair deal and even subsidizes other routes when you compare cost per mile or quality of service. They tend not no employ Nigerians and are often contemptuous. Rather than indulging in hand wringing we should redouble our efforts to establish a National carrier
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by musicwriter(m): 9:25am On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStoks:

Change with hardship that breeds anarchy, is not progress.

A wise philosopher already told us that: "the art of progress is preserving order amidst change and change amidst order". What we are witnessing is change no doubt but not progressive change.

I don't know anything about APC's change mantra, I don't even believe in the party or politicians as a whole.

What I'm interested here is: did Buhari make the right decision by not devaluing the Naira according to IMF request?.

And my answer is ''yes''. That's all I care for about Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:28am On Apr 21, 2016
omonnakoda:
The converse is equally true. The real issue is why we do not have a National Carrier.That is the core of the issue ,in fact this indicates how such a carrier trading in Naira will be in a strong position. Iberia acts in Iberia's interest and from that perspective no one can fault them. We too must act in our interest too! Many foreign airlines love Nigeria because it is their most profitable route due to high business class and first class occupancy rates. Still Nigerians do not get fair deal and even subsidizes other routes when you compare cost per mile or quality of service. They tend not no employ Nigerians and are often contemptuous. Rather than indulging in hand wringing we should redouble our efforts to establish a National carrier

Yea a certain president said he would convert the presidential fleet to a national carrier, btw why do we fear competition, we should set up our national carrier alongside then give them some leverage of advantage over their competitors with time those foreign airliners will fall off and we will be in a good position to take their share of the market. Not that we will make policies to send them all packing and with no provision for our own airline. Or will the citizens start trekking abroad. This government is truly silly and are never able to see the big picture.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by trav(m): 9:30am On Apr 21, 2016
Actually that is the strategy and why Iberia is quite affordable. BA and Iberia are owned by the same company International Airlines Group. So if you cant afford to fly BA, you can fly Iberia. Whichever way the company still makes money.

For those saying it was good that Iberia left I hope you don't plan to fly in the next few years because you should be ready to pay much more. I have flown BA a couple of times but never flew Iberia but one thing I know is that that that airline makes it affordable for a lot of people to travel. Its a capitalist world and airlines like other investors are here not only to offer services but to make profit and they have the right to repatriate that profit after tax and not to help develop your country. That is the job of your government. Don't you send money back home to folks for upkeep and to invest locally after slaving abroad.

When you send every airline packing, how will you you get your goods that you have ordered online or how will small business owners export their locally made goods. And maybe when you decide to travel you will choose from the option of Arik leaving you stranded at the airport while it looks for aviation fuel or going by boat through the Mediterranean.

Nnemuka:

Atleast average nigerians can travel to various destinations.
with British airways above the standard of an average nigerian (BA to london is almost 900k) Iberia flies same route for 150k, which do you think poor and average will go for?
dont celebrate stupidity

2 Likes

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:30am On Apr 21, 2016
musicwriter:

I don't know anything about APC's change mantra, I don't even believe in the party or politicians as a whole.

What I'm interested here is: did Buhari make the right decision by not devaluing the Naira according to IMF request?''.

And my answer is ''yes''. That's all I care for about Buhari.

But that the oil price has already floored, you should have only watched the devaluation take place with another round of drops in prices.

That we didn't devalue and prices are rising wasn't because of any proper sound decision making by the government.it was purely dumb luck.

You need to find out what happened to African countries In the 80's and the structural adjustment by the IMF, plus the outcome. It's purely where Africans base their arguments against the IMF on, but truly no country implemented their recommendations completely, corruption are into the reforms in all 35 African countries at the time, but Ghana, imagine a programme that was implemented by IBB the Prince of thieves what do you expect as it's outcome?

By the 90's only Ghana was on a way to good recovery which we saw lasted until recently ( reason everyone was talking about Ghana as an example of a good place with a good system ).

Ghana also went through structural adjustment on the IMFs recommendation like Nigeria bu Ghana got the better for it, and the corrupt Nigeria got the worse off for it.

The problem wasn't the IMF it was the romance of the leadership with corruption plus ITK not following through with the recommendations of the experts.

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by omonnakoda: 9:36am On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStokes:

Yea a certain president said he would convert the presidential fleet to a national carrier, btw why do we fear competition, we should set up our national carrier alongside then give them some leverage of advantage over their competitors with time those foreign airliners will fall off and we will be in a good position to take their share of the market. Not that we will make policies to send them all packing and with no provision for our own airline. Or will the citizens start trekking abroad. This government is truly silly and are never able to see the big picture.
I am not a spokesman for the president or government
Where does "fear competition" come from? who fears competition and how is that part of the conversation. No one is making policies to send anyone packing .HAS EVERY AIRLINE LEFT
How relevant is IBERIA?

The fact is ALL countries use PROTECTIONIST policies for their airlines. Go to Heathrow and see where Arik is situated compared to BA for flights to Lagos

In fact when we have a national carrier they should only be allowed to fly to Abuja and not Lagos.

Once again the issue is our lack of a National carrier .A well run carrier cannot fear competition because it will be the only carrier offering DIRECT flights to every international destination
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by onatisi(m): 9:37am On Apr 21, 2016
signz:

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a prophet in our midst.

All that he has prophesied have come to pass wink
grin grin

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by 9jatatafo(m): 9:40am On Apr 21, 2016
Observing how this APC will turn their magic wand. In FELA's voice - Government Magic!
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by mavinc4u(f): 9:41am On Apr 21, 2016
jayriginal:

Did you really say this?

My goodness!

In reality what you are seeing is the effect of 16 years of PDP misrule and devastation. We had years of plenty and we didn't prepare. How do you expect us to fare in the years of famine?

Nigerians want short term solutions and that is what got us in this sad situation. That is why our politicians are able to hoodwink us and rob us of our heritage. They dine fat on our wealth and throw crumbs at us because we don't demand for better. We live for today, not for tomorrow.

We need change, but it must start from the mind first. That's the most important change.

You wanted change and you have got the change or what else do you need?
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by bjbukzy(m): 9:43am On Apr 21, 2016
vislabraye:

Is that what this government is trying to do ? Hahahahaaa. U people like to give excuses on the behalf of this government. So Nigeria wants to close all sectors of the economy to the outside world, yet the president is hopping from one continent to another looking for foreign investors ?
nah! am not trying to give an excuse! mistakes and sacrifices will surely have to be made during a change process....
let me use this scenario to explain wat i meant...
"iberia flies from nigeria with 90% of its passengers bin nigerians and they pay the taxes on their profit.
firstly, they collect naira from d customers and then take it to banks to change it to dollars so they can take it back to their country....the effect of this on the naira andd foreign reserves needs no explanation(spains foreign reserve increases at the detriment of 9ja foreign reserve).
iberia could ve swapped it naira for euro/$ by giving it to a coy that wants to import from nigeria....govt just needs to improve importation/exportation policies
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by Nobody: 9:43am On Apr 21, 2016
magicminister:
I don't know how i feel about this.
Pulling out of Nigeria would cost some Nigerians their jobs and cost the Nigerian government a chunk of tax.

But one thing i know for sure is that the price of flights has increased exponentially withing the past couple of months.
I thought they were sourcing their forex externally!

Its really crazy. Getting a ticket to travel out is a problem. I tried booking a British airways ticket online, the bank wont allow u once its over a certain amount of dollars. Single seat o! After calling the bank they say u must first change the money from ur naira account and transfer it into a domiciliary account with them before you can pay. Please note that they wont do this exchange for you. You will take ur naira to ab.oki and try to source for dollars. If u do this, u double the price of the ticket. angry

The other option is to go to the airlines office, where they will never give you the online price but 3times the price of the online ticket sef (i blinked twice when they told me the $1500 ticket i was trying to book, is $5300 on their price list - Same route, same flights, same class). So d only pple still getting reasonably priced tickets for this summer are those that already have thousands of dollars in their domicilliary accounts.

Most pple are probably using a travel agent now to get intl tickets. sad

1 Like

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:45am On Apr 21, 2016
omonnakoda:

I am not a spokesman for the president or government
Where does "fear competition" come from? who fears competition and how is that part of the conversation. No one is making policies to send anyone packing .HAS EVERY AIRLINE LEFT
How relevant is IBERIA?

The fact is ALL countries use PROTECTIONIST policies for their airlines. Go to Heathrow and see where Arik is situated compared to BA for flights to Lagos

In fact when we have a national carrier they should only be allowed to fly to Abuja and not Lagos.

Once again the issue is our lack of a National carrier .A well run carrier cannot fear competition because it will be the only carrier offering DIRECT flights to every international destination

Exactly what I stated that our airline be given preferences. It's same with every country you visit, whether Heathrow, Charles De gaulle, Frankfurt, schiphol, JFK, malpensa everywhere.

Mediocrity fears competition, the very reason we will want to push out every airline even before we plan to site ours.

Saying only IBERIA has left, i would say something, someone has to make the first move, Venezuela is on screen for us to see. You need to understand that others have been preparing to leave as well, some are Having to make difficult decisions, like using smaller aircrafts, downsizing plus issues with their operations and having to deal with not being able to repatriate their profits back home.

My God we have a Maduro on our hands, I have been saying this here for months.

2 Likes

Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by musicwriter(m): 9:46am On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStokes:

But that the oil price has already floored, you should have only watched the devaluation take place with another round of drops in prices.

The Naira would naturally gravitate back to about N180 to $1 when local manufacturing pick up, through all the ''looking inward'' policies that are being made now.

Oil price fall is not our fundamental problem. The root cause of our problem is we don't manufacture any other thing to export to the world except oil.

We can do without oil!!. That's what Buhari is trying to figure out. But, of course, it would be difficult to transition from oil to other source of income for the country.

Nothing could be better than that when it comes to fruition.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:52am On Apr 21, 2016
musicwriter:

The Naira would naturally gravitate back to about N180 to $1 when local manufacturing pick up, through all the ''looking inward'' policies that are being made now.

Oil price fall is not our fundamental problem. The root cause of our problem is we don't manufacture any other thing to export to the world except oil.

We can do without oil!!. That's what Buhari is trying to figure out, but of course it would be difficult to transition from oil to other source of income for the country.

Nothing could be better than that when it comes to fruition.

Does this government strike you as one with mindset of diversifying it encouraging local production. They say one thing and do another, the flood gates will soon be open for Chinese goods to come in and don't forget the arbitrage that will begin to take place with currency change or swap whatever the foreign affairs minister meant. People will convert their money's to yuan at (30 something naira to the yuan, 199 naira to the dollar) take it abroad to convert to dollars and bring it back here to sell at 320.

Farmers are being discouraged everyday with the fulani herdsmen menace. Uhmmmm even stops to think, where are we diversifying towards.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by chebeoc(m): 9:53am On Apr 21, 2016
olapluto post=44897970]Until there is a nationalistic pride in all Nigerians, we will be stagnant. Iberia is leaving us because they are not able to remit their profits back to Spain. Profits made from Nigerians. Tough luck.
Its like a rapist vexing for the victim after she refuses to help him unzip his trousers. Sorry.

^^

And you're very happy to take your salary home every month end.
Re: Forex Policy: Iberia Withdraws Services From Nigeria by NavierStokes(m): 9:56am On Apr 21, 2016
chebeoc:
olapluto post=44897970]Until there is a nationalistic pride in all Nigerians, we will be stagnant. Iberia is leaving us because they are not able to remit their profits back to Spain. Profits made from Nigerians. Tough luck.
Its like a rapist vexing for the victim after she refuses to help him unzip his trousers. Sorry.

And you're very happy to take your salary home every month end.

Do you mind people like him, they work in port harcourt, Abuja and build or make investments in Lagos. They work abroad and send money back home but require these companies to come and do business here with no expectations of profits. Those corporations are not humanitarian organisations and so have a right to make profits and take it to even mars or Pluto or where ever they so chose.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top Lucrative Fiverr Gigs You Should Sell In 2018 / Gtbank: A Few Questions About Wire Transfer. / How To Start VTU Business With RAGP COMPANY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.