Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,528 members, 7,816,290 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt (2285 Views)

Which Of These Nigerian Politicians Is The Best Dancer? (Photos) / All Nigerian Military Head Of State Are Corrupt Including General Buhari / 'All Nigerians Are Corrupt', Says Oprah Winfrey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by manmustwac(m): 10:09pm On Jun 09, 2008
This is from another topic: The most corrupt politician in Nigeria:
If the society is corrupt, what do you guys expect the product of this society to be? (please, keep in mind that governors, presidents etc are all products of our infested society).

[quote][/quote]
i 100% agree with you Big B1 but if change is to happen then our leaders will have to the ones to lead the way and then when we the followers see our leaders setting a good example then small small we will begin to follow their example.

But then as the saying goes. The problem with Nigeria is bad leadership
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by SweetT1: 10:15pm On Jun 09, 2008
@Poster

Yep, the pastor is kinda correct. I mean if you vote for somebody that has never achieved anything in his private life. Never had a known job, never contributed anything meaningful to his society, runs from one political godfather to the other. Then what do you expect when he gets in office ?? And it's unfortunate that 90% of Nigerian Politicians fall in this category. A nation without vision.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by debosky(m): 10:19pm On Jun 09, 2008
Some of you amuse me - who told you it is votes that get politicians in??

Even when candidates win the nomination of their party through voting, the 'chairman' can just come and disqualify him and change the rules and impose another candidate. Then you have the 'elections' - apart from few cases, most of the so called 'elections' cannot be called such, where the 'winning party' gets over 100% turnout with 110% of votes cast?

Nigerians are not corrupt, but when out of fear for your life, properties, business or concern for your family, you refuse to participate in a polluted process, it is inevitable that the charlatans and the thieves will have free rein.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by deor03(m): 10:23pm On Jun 09, 2008
With all due respect , I totally disagree with with the topic. Corruption started in Nigerian  politics during the time of okotiebo ( first finance minister). At that time, an average Nigerian was not corrupt up till when Babangida took over as the head of state.

This spanned a period of over 2 decades, an when people saw their "rulers" ( they are not leaders as far as i am concerned) milking the treasury and making social security totally non-existent, people had to take care of themselves.

Corruption started from there since you have to provide all the basics for yourself. So Nigerians became corrupt as a result of their corrupt rulers

N.B:  Please let us be careful of not confusing the word "ruler" and "Leader"
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by SweetT1: 10:35pm On Jun 09, 2008
@Poster

Nigerian Politicians don't usually wait until the election day. They wait until all the votes are cast, then they figure out how many ghost voters they need.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by Nobody: 9:47am On Jun 10, 2008
I’m glad people are beginning to acknowledge the role of Citizen’s in the disorder in Nigerian system. It’s very easy to blame the leaders, but when you really come to think about it, we all have a hand in it.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by texazzpete(m): 12:18pm On Jun 10, 2008
Why do we take delight in lying to ourselves?
the common Nigerian is more often than not a corruption ridden fellow. Right from the people that sell fuel in filling station (tweaked meters, inflated prices) to the landlord that unfairly raises rent, to the policeman that takes bribes, to the motorists that give them.

Evil = Evil. so the market woman that uses the underside of a tin to measure a cup of rice for her unsuspecting customer is every bit as corrupt as Obasanjo et al.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by BigB11(m): 1:31pm On Jun 10, 2008
I’m glad people are beginning to acknowledge the role of Citizen’s in the disorder in Nigerian system. It’s very easy to blame the leaders, but when you really come to think about it, we all have a hand in it.
Thank you for this post.

As soon as we (Nigerians) realize this fact and accept the responsibility, Nigeria as a nation will be a better place for all.

Our materialistic, greedy, uncivilised culture and mentality must be reevaluated immediately. And this could only be possible if all of us are willing to change our ways.

Our ways are so intoxicated with dirtiness, graspingness and pure improbity, that many Nigerians today prefer not to have Nigerian friends. And why?

My friends, the root of our problems is bigger than just the leaders; we must look in the mirror and accept the responsibility.
The leaders (who happen to be products of our retarded society) would only treat us the way we've presented ourselves; and so far, most Nigerians have presented themselves are greedy pigs with very little self respect.

Sorry guys, we could only get better if we keep it real with one another!

This is the message Adebayo is trying to send to Nigerians. Do not hate the messenger just let us make adjustment to our ways and attitude. This would leave the leaders with no other choice, but to do what is right.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by amberella: 1:34pm On Jun 10, 2008
Sorry guys but this is not Nigerian nature - this is human nature.

When proper checks and balances are not in place to prevent corruption, it will happen.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by BigB11(m): 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2008
Nigerian style: we always have an excuse for everything.
Just keep in mind that "EXCUSE" is an enemy of progress; Nigeria as a nation will never move forward as long as we have excuse to throw into the bucket.

FYI:Many Countries today with less resource are doing way better than Nigeria.
Its all about the attitude of the citizens!
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by Blatant: 2:13pm On Jun 10, 2008
I praise the Lord God for this.

Many Nigerians are beginning to believe the truth about OURSELVES.

For several years, I have consistently told people to look at themselves rather than point at the leaders and they have never been willing to do so. If everyone of us decides to change ways and mentality while also discouraging anyone around us from being involved in evil (no matter what we stand to gain materially), Nigeria will see drastic changes for the better.
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by 2Legit: 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2008
Blatant:

I praise the Lord God for this.

Many Nigerians are beginning to believe the truth about OURSELVES.

For several years, I have consistently told people to look at themselves rather than point at the leaders and they have never been willing to do so. If everyone of us decides to change ways and mentality while also discouraging anyone around us from being involved in evil (no matter what we stand to gain materially), Nigeria will see drastic changes for the better.

Yes all of us na barawo. we just dey yab politicians.
Politicians no be our friends? Why we no disown dem if dem dey do bad things?
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by maxsiollun: 9:31pm On Jun 10, 2008
The Nigerian govt is a reflection of the Nigerian people. The leaders emerged from the same society as the governed. Nigeria's moral fibre was totally destroyed under the days of Babangida.

http://maxsiollun./2007/12/23/are-all-nigerians-corrupt/
Re: Nigerian Politicians Are Corrupt Becuase Nigerians Are Corrupt by BigB11(m): 2:32am On Jun 11, 2008
Here we go again! excuse! and excuse! and excuse!

This is from another topic "the most corrupt politician in Nigeria":
FYI: Corruption represents 95% of our problems in Nigeria
The crownsss go to all Nigerians.
Nobody is willing to accept the responsibility and we also tend to quickly point fingers at few folks when the subject "corruption" comes up.

I think we are all responsible; there is nothing one could accomplish successfully in our society (Nigeria) today without exercising the mighty unblushing bribery practise. (we see corruption in Nigerian schools, driving license office, immigration office, airport, port authority, police dept, dept of transportation, dept of agriculture, banks, hospitals etc). And I do not think OBJ or Abacha or IBB owns all these establishments.
I think corruption is directly embedded in our culture and blood. This is also why today many Nigerians come back home with great ideas to run things, but fall into the same trap (corruption) in just few months.
Hence, instead of seeking for an excuse by pointing fingers at few people, we ought to look closely in the mirror, address and reevaluate our infested culture; which continues to canonize corruption in Nigeria as the only way to make it to the top.

@topic:
Instead of competing in identifying the most corrupt politician in Nigeria, I think it would be more sensible for us to focus more on identifying the best solution to fight this terrible demon, called CORRUPTION.

There is one thing that remains constant with Nigerians; "as long as the sun shines, Nigerians will never run out of excuse"

(1) (2) (Reply)

Election Observers, Please Tell Us Your Views / Should Ismalic Dress Code Be Compulsory In School For Non Muslims? / U Agree Us Dollar Will Be Replaced With Amerio? Watch This Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.