Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,613 members, 7,813,008 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:47 AM

Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg (42904 Views)

Kanti Bello Says President Buhari Has Failed, Regrets Inviting Him To Politics / Aisha Buhari Takes A Walk With Her Grand Daughter (Pictured) / Buhari Takes Water As Osinbajo, Saraki And Chief Justice Take Juice (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by 989900: 5:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
Too many misconceptions here, my head hurts! embarassed
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by 9japrof(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2016
manny4life:
We're here arguing about devaluation which in my opinion isn't the problem, our economy is gravely affected because we lack inward fiscal directives. This is as a result of our political and ethnic differences, if different states are allowed to function on their own without handouts from Abuja, we wouldn't be asking ourselves what can we export. Nigeria is richly blessed in all sorts of human resource, financial capital, mineral resources, raw materials and what not which we can't even develop let alone export, and we're talking about devaluation. Until we change our process from a consuming to a producing nation, IMO, devaluation is NOT the solution at this point. Let's talk about devaluation when we get it right first.

Let buhari champion constitutional review, let him champion resource control and the decentralization of power. Give Nigeria ten years after that and see how it would blossom to a world economic giant.

Whatever buhari is doing now is a cosmetic effort to groom Nigeria, Nigeria has corruption problems but I think they have more structural problems than corruption.

Sometimes I wonder why these politicians would never think towards there. The federal government would believe that doing these would cede power to the states which they would not want to
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 21, 2016
NDPVF:
[s][/s]I av' been hearing this rubbish from Liar mohammad,and now you are regurgitating it. May i ask you, the investors and businesses that are running away from Nigeria now,(am not talking about those that are skeptical of investing here,the ones that were here before now that are folding up,as well as retrenching their workers),are they also portfolio investors?. Why is it hard for you people to understand that you are av' killed Nigerian economic already,and that their is widespread unemployment and poverty in the land already?.
Yes they are indeed! Take example of Unilever that have operated in Nigeria and yet import caustic powder for soap! They ought to have invested in making sure such raw material is produced locally, but they won't. Why because they must keep the status quo in other to maintain dependence with the parent company which translate to our economy depending on the west economy! Portfolio investors and pseudo colonial company are the same thing!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by laviecontinue: 5:22pm On Apr 21, 2016
Our oga @ the top be like "Nobody even care about your doller" in (lucky dube voice) tongue tongue tongue rain dey happy say him dey bit stone e no no say stone dey happy say rain dey wash am... The ONE who created us at this part of the world knows better and He has given us everything we need to survive. We only need good leaders and sound mind youths to make this nation work. Not some bleep doler. #helpouryouththetruthtoknow
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Awho(m): 5:22pm On Apr 21, 2016
those of you who are supporting this devaluation policy and saying it will increase our export the question here is what do we produce?

and what's our market share in the international market

let's try as much as we can to forget mare economic theories and accept practical examples.

Buhari should stand his ground. those people are just been jealous of our partnership with Republic of China and nothing else. i stand to be corrected
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by manny4life(m): 5:29pm On Apr 21, 2016
erico2k2:

You just answered the question yourself.But seriously you think all I listed are not exported? I can give you names of companies that export all them things listed. We as a people need govt to give us flexible economic policies to enable biz men xport more. Ie 5am breaks .reduced energy bills.sign trade agreements etc.open some other ports to export cargo.

We're talking about quantities large enough to offset our import bill. All these items you listed, I can bet my 1cent smiley that it doesn't add up to 5% of Nigeria's earnings, thus insignificant. In terms of export, I really don't think it's more of an economic policy, rather, I believe it's a fiscal policy (spending at all tiers of govt) to stimulate inward growth. This is why I asked, are you exporting something that you're self sufficient at OR just because it's the basic? Brings me back to my point: exporting right now is somewhat the least of our problems because we're not self sufficient, exporting what we have (especially raw materials) will cause shortage and really not add that much as opposed to finished goods. Let's have more than enough and more importantly, let's be able to afford it, then we export the remaining. You don't sell your food in exchange for less money when you're hungry. This is what's happening to Nigeria, you export logs of woods (solid state) say for $100/log and then import toothpick and pencil for $1,000 and you magically expect yourself to balance at the end of the day. When your pencil and toothpick arrive, they won't be affordable, which is the state Nigeria is in because we're consuming (makes it worse because it's foreign produce) more than we're producing.
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by omonnakoda: 5:29pm On Apr 21, 2016
Who are the investors in Nigeria. They are Indians Chinese and Lebanese. You will see them in the rough parts of Nigeria and they have been here for decades. Not briefcase investors who flee when there is small trouble

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by girlfriendsnatc: 5:35pm On Apr 21, 2016
NavierStokes:

Source:http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-20/nigeria-economics-loses-to-politics-as-buhari-takes-naira-stand

Having observed the issue of SAP and the IMF coming up repeatedly here on nairaland, I will be doing a thread with the true history of events that diacusses the SAP so some Nigerians can let go off the paranoia assoiciated with the IMF or western governments. If course they look out for their best interests and yours too. Because every time you run into problems you still come to bother them with your issues like Aid moneys and hangouts, immigration issues etc.

President Buhari should not and will never devalue the naira. Lagarde's IMF and allies can go to hell angry. The era of bowing to the economic terrorism of the West is over!!! I stand with Mr. President.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by girlfriendsnatc: 5:37pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
I don't know who is advising President Buhari but his insistence on not devaluing the Naira to reflect present reality is one decision he would live to regret. The false sense of value we are giving to the naira is not helping anybody neither is political consideration more important than the economy. The suffering we would experience through devalued naira won't be compared to the hopeless situation we are now. in fact, if the country is pragmatic enough, the devalued naira policy would turn to be a blessing.

Clearly, your brain is devalued and devoid of any significant intelligence of useful economic implications

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by dboss444: 5:42pm On Apr 21, 2016
I want to ask something oh, I'm hearing that american dollars is actually losing it's value as the day goes by. How does this affect world economy and if the dollars is losing it's purchasing power Y is it not reflecting here. I hear american paper and sell as dollars
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Nobody: 5:45pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

He didn't do any Economics @ all.... PhD holder or not angry angry
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by dboss444: 5:54pm On Apr 21, 2016
Any Nigerian that wants buhari to devalue is wicked. If the west and IMF couldn't convince buhari before he went to china then Buhari carry Go. We are an import dependent nation so what will be the benefit of devaluation.

CBN should do something about those hijacking and hoarding dollar @ black market
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Henryadaku(m): 5:55pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
I don't know who is advising President Buhari but his insistence on not devaluing the Naira to reflect present reality is one decision he would live to regret. The false sense of value we are giving to the naira is not helping anybody neither is political consideration more important than the economy. The suffering we would experience through devalued naira won't be compared to the hopeless situation we are now. in fact, if the country is pragmatic enough, the devalued naira policy would turn to be a blessing.

Excuse me sir......don't you get it countries that don't export can devalue haba.......its better this way make Una stop to complain abeg the naira being equal or stable with the dollar ain't gonna solve our problem
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Empredboy(m): 5:57pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The benefit are enormous though not immediate, it outweighs the suffering we are subjected to at present
tell us the future benefits. The Nigerian interest is higher than the IMF interest. Let's endure it for now
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by erico2k2(m): 5:58pm On Apr 21, 2016
manny4life:

We're talking about quantities large enough to offset our import bill. All these items you listed, I can bet my 1cent smiley that it doesn't add up to 5% of Nigeria's earnings, thus insignificant. In terms of export, I really don't think it's more of an economic policy, rather, I believe it's a fiscal policy (spending at all tiers of govt) to stimulate inward growth. This is why I asked, are you exporting something that you're self sufficient at OR just because it's the basic? Brings me back to my point: exporting right now is somewhat the least of our problems because we're not self sufficient, exporting what we have (especially raw materials) will cause shortage and really not add that much as opposed to finished goods. Let's have more than enough and more importantly, let's be able to afford it, then we export the remaining. You don't sell your food in exchange for less money when you're hungry. This is what's happening to Nigeria, you export logs of woods (solid state) say for $100/log and then import toothpick and pencil for $1,000 and you magically expect yourself to balance at the end of the day. When your pencil and toothpick arrive, they won't be affordable, which is the state Nigeria is in because we're consuming (makes it worse because it's foreign produce) more than we're producing.
I cnt type much as I'm at wrk and on mobile.anyway you seem to be focused on export via the FG I'm talking about you and me exporting and paying tax to the FG. The vast majority of exporters in china are non govt .they are biz men like you and me..The only thing that will drive up export is govt policies. Which also can attract investors.u keep asking what we export or can export. I ha e said MANPOWER. China's major export is MANPOWER. human robots. If any major industry perceive labour +overhead to be cheap in my village I'm sure they will like to come and explore the benefits
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by tuniski: 5:59pm On Apr 21, 2016
AZeD1:

This is probably one of the most stupi.d things i have read on here.

My 3 bedroom flat in the UK cost £600 a month which is £7200 a year, I have a 3 bedroom in Yaba for N600,000 a year use your formula there and give me the purchasing power of the Naira to the pound.
U certainly don't get it. Well I can't help u. The cost of production same item is never the same as your rent on accommodation in UK and ikoyi, u hear! Emphasis, the cost of producing same item! It is called purchasing power parity(ppp).

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by girlfriendsnatc: 5:59pm On Apr 21, 2016
Imagine as it is, going by official rates, a foreigner with $1m coming into Nigeria has N200m (approximately), then they buy up lands and take over key sectors of our economy that are highly profitable and kill off local competitors. Take your N1m to the US and let's see what can you buy? Almost nothing of substantial economic value. And yet, some people want to devalue further? Devaluation doesn't help Nigeria, and doesn't help the majority of the Nigerian citizenry. The more of the key sectors of our economy that is controlled by foreigners, the more foreigners can influence and control our government to formulate more policies and trade agreements that they can benefit from to the detriment of the country at large. When was the last time Nigeria had balanced trade with the West? Never!!! That's when. We're always in deficit. Those advocating for devaluation are the PDP zombies hellbent on misleading the country and fooling President Buhari to make the costliest mistake that they would campaign with to push APC out of Aso Rock in 2019. Devaluation will not only ruin Buhari's legacy in Nigeria's history but it would destroy the economic fabric of this country. No 3rd-world country ever became a first-world nation by devaluation. They can only transition by implementation of vigorous local industrialization, local technological advancement and strong economic treaties and sustained trade balances with foreign countries. The question is, since African countries have been devaluating their currencies, take Nigeria for example, from 50kobo = $1, to what it is today, are we any better off to have developed into a first-world country? Now is the time to put an end to the economic terrorism by the West on Nigeria and indeed the rest of Africa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Henryadaku(m): 6:00pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The benefit are enormous though not immediate, it outweighs the suffering we are subjected to at present

Sorry I don't speak horeshit....come again
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Empredboy(m): 6:00pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

SAP flopped because IBB mismanaged the whole thing for his selfish interest.

Already, businesses are operating on a value of the naira that is over 100% more than the official value. in fact, the naira is technically devaluated due to scarcity of the dollar. What we are saying is for the government to allow the naira to be officially devalued so that businesses can freely operated. This will even boost our export as our goods would be cheaper in the international market, and that would help local economy.

however, it will make import more expensive but we can't depend on import forever
tell us our export strength. What goods do we produce for export?
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by erico2k2(m): 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
Henryadaku:

Excuse me sir......don't you get it countries that don't export can devalue haba.......its better this way make Una stop to complain abeg the naira being equal or stable with the dollar ain't gonna solve our problem
Can I ask you a question. What do we have that we can't export?
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by 989900: 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
The frustration is real, no doubt.

The present frustration is largely due to our 'no-budget' situation.

Once the budget is passed and the government shows direction in implementation and other policies, things would ease up a bit -- only then can investors (foreign and domestic) make decisions, as it is, the country is in a state of perpetual limbo. And, it's making repatriation of funds much higher than investment of funds -- we have a problem!

Then we have energy issues: the less electric power served, the more fuel we consume/import, the more dollars we require for imports, the more dollar scarcity created = higher exchange rate as felt in the past 2 weeks . . . customers using their bank cards online or at ATMs outside the country can testify to this.

The recent massive import of fuel recently siphoned more dollars off the market!

'The decline in forex allocation to the banks by the CBN was attributed to the deal struck by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and international oil companies (IOCs) on direct dollar sales to oil marketing firms aimed at addressing the fuel shortage in the country.'
http://naija247news.com/2016/04/how-naira-yuan-currency-swap-deal-will-ease-pressure-on-nigerias-fx-market/

It's a shame we 'technically' do not have refineries . . . heard those should start working part time some time soon, but we've heard that a million times now.
However, we do have pipeline vandals who ensure we do not have power supply, and crude supply to the partially working refineries, nor product supply to the few resuscitated depots.

Then we have hoarders, racketeers and profiteers, aided by senior CBN and bank executives. Now this is the part I blame Buhari for (his stance would definitely create this kind of scenario, now, what are the checks and balances he had in place . . . forget CBN's autonomy . . .).
As for Emefiele and the other CBN deputy governors, they are as crooked as scoliosis -- they are part of the reason why the situation is amplified.

Now my questions are:

How will devaluation automatically put an end to all these, I mean it hasn't since 1986.

I want a quick fix, we all want a quick fix, we are all affected; apart from the temporary relief devaluation might bring, how does it solve the 'causes'?

Can anyone guarantee with the same oil prices, the same racketeers and saboteurs won't play their hands, and the black market/official rate wide gap resurfacing?

When do we put a kibosh to the causes?

Fine, pump prices are presently headed for N200/litre averagely albeit temporarily, are we ready to make that permanent -- devaluation guarantees that.

Inflation is presently @ 12.2% (which is an abomination), with devaluation comes agitation for wages increase, comes further inflation -- are we ready . . . ?

Nigerians appetite for foreign goods (which is actually just averagely 25% of the country's demand for forex) will not automatically die with devaluation, rather, there will be call for increase in wages, so we can continue where we left off! We've been doing that since time immemorial. BTW, who bought 36 Landcruisers?

We need to think outside the box to bring the BM rates closer to the CBN rates, some economists have suggested some alternative ways -- the government needs to look into those and get something started already -- a direction!
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by globatop: 6:01pm On Apr 21, 2016
Once beaten twice shy, we don't have to be economist to know that IMF, WORLD BANK, interest negates Nigerian interest, since devaluation of ibb regime and loan repayment of OBJ, naira has not moved up forex ladder.

We are passing thru a phase, let's endure it now so that we'll smile later. Naira will not appreciate when oil price move up after official devaluation.

Let foreign investors leave, Nigerian should take their place, it's high time we patronise locally made goods. Developed countries were giants because they patronise their products. The situation can't be worse than this, rather it will start to improve, thru adjustments.
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by adconline(m): 6:03pm On Apr 21, 2016
AbuMuhammad1:
And some say the price of goods are already at black market rate. if so then what is the point of devalueing when the prices have adjusted themselves?
because CBN is creating and minting millionaires over night by offering $1/N197 to them. They are depleting national reserves without bringing in equal value
If CBN and black market rates are tied, round tripping would be gone.
FDI can come into the country without fearing how to get forex when it wants to exit
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On Apr 21, 2016
Empredboy:
tell us our export strength. What goods do we produce for export?
Seriously? I think we have to look beyond oil. I as a person xport charcoal? *does that count? A friend of mine from lagos export palm oil and chemical starch. I know loads of others as well.
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Pavarottii(m): 6:06pm On Apr 21, 2016
dustmalik:
It's now evident that the west is furious over our deal with China.
U no hear say, dem no sign any deal?
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by AZeD1(m): 6:07pm On Apr 21, 2016
tuniski:

U certainly don't get it. Well I can't help u. The cost of production same item is never the same as your rent on accommodation in UK and ikoyi, u hear! Emphasis, the cost of producing same item! It is called purchasing power parity(ppp).
Did you factor in the same cost of production when you were using your formula in the first place?
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by erico2k2(m): 6:08pm On Apr 21, 2016
AZeD1:

This is probably one of the most stupi.d things i have read on here.

My 3 bedroom flat in the UK cost £600 a month which is £7200 a year, I have a 3 bedroom in Yaba for N600,000 a year use your formula there and give me the purchasing power of the Naira to the pound.
What city is that 3 bed for £600? Una dey grove there
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by Henryadaku(m): 6:13pm On Apr 21, 2016
erico2k2:

Can I ask you a question. What do we have that we can't export?

Fulani question?
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by hamzeiy: 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

really? oh.we must have seen the enormous benefits that came with the last time naira was devalued.
yet thesame imf is yet to tell the greeks and other western especially european countries to devalue their currency but rather they have be given bail outs. Africans like you need to come of age and overcome this mental slavery. you have the keys to the chains around your neck. use it
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by AZeD1(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
erico2k2:

What city is that 3 bed for £600? Una dey grove there
Coventry.
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by jinha(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2016
I don't want to imagine that we do not have good economist to help analyse this situation, than letting foreign media do the analyse and start preaching doom on us...
Nawa ooo

I am Jinha, just trying to make common sense...
Re: Nigeria Economics Loses To Politics As Buhari Takes Naira Stand – Bloomberg by hamzeiy: 6:17pm On Apr 21, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

really? oh.we must have seen the enormous benefits that came with the last time naira was devalued. isnt it
yet thesame imf is yet to tell the greeks and other western especially european countries to devalue their currency but rather they have be given bailouts funds. Africans like you need to come of age and overcome this mental slavery. you have the keys to the chains around your neck. use it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Okorocha Riding Bicycle This Morning, Followed By His Security Team / We will Declare Saraki,Melaye Seat Vacant-Akpabio Speak Fire / Fayose Smiling On Arrival At Lagos Court For His Bail Hearing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.