Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! (22830 Views)

Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? / MSc In UK Versus N183k Job Offer: Advice Please / I Can't Accept A Job Offer That Pays Below 100k/month ( Keke Rider) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by gotousa2013: 3:52pm On Apr 23, 2016
Hello
I would love to meet a talented like programmer like you. Pls send me a mail adexfem2010@gmail.com
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by JABB(m): 4:03pm On Apr 23, 2016
Frankicent:

choi.. Undergraduate bro I"l love to learn from oo 100% or 89%.. Am a Computer science student.. Pls shoot me a mail if you see this comment.plzzzzzz #software developing #website developing.....
Ehennn,Abuja wey sweet die with good road,No traffic ,you wake up eat morning food for house before you leave.Na im you wan come lagos...Bros, No come Lagos come old quick o, stay where you dey.

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Electroweb(m): 4:58pm On Apr 23, 2016
germyu:
I am a software developer, I create amazing things for companies; I have a good portfolio of projects I have developed, my applications are used my hundreds of thousand of Nigerians. I prefer to keep a low profile and my identity hidden.
I'm presently working for a start-up company that has a very huge prospect. This is my Six(6) months of employment and I developed an amazing web portal for the company in the said time. Truth of the matter, no one believed the web portal was ever done in Nigeria because businessmen/employer in the business or domain underestimate local talents; their believe so much in Indian/US software developers. I stopped the company from paying $68,000 to software development company in India. The web portal is now LIVE. grin and we're having huge traffic and good remark about the website.
My CHALLENGE
My currently earning about N200K monthly, and our competitor is offering me a N350K monthly. My boss found out about the offer and call me to a man-to-man private meeting and offer me a N50K salary increment, housing allowance of N500K yearly and 2Week vacation to Dubai.

I presently work in Abuja, while the offer is in Lagos. I love Abuja, but I have feelings for the N350K offer. grin grin
Am afraid of moving to Lagos due to family problems, however it can be prevented If i stay away. Also am still an undergraduate, although I can transfer my study centre to Lagos.

PLS ADVICE
Should I stay with my current employer or move with the new offer?

Pls ignore my typos. Thanks.

Right now the economy can be said to be unpredictable (remember the budget has not been signed). Therefore moving from the known to the unknown is not advisable. The grass might not be greener on the other side. They are trying to poach you. When you get there, you will now see that their working conditions is somehow.
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by 9inches(m): 5:45pm On Apr 23, 2016
You seem to have confidence, why not become a boss yourself?
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by sorepco(m): 6:58pm On Apr 23, 2016
Stay with ur present boss. He respects you...thus all what he did to tetain you. The other job might just neef your talent for a while n after u don show them..tgem go 8fire u. But ur present oga will grow with u .... u evensaid tho a startup there is potential.

germyu:
I am a software developer, I create amazing things for companies; I have a good portfolio of projects I have developed, my applications are used my hundreds of thousand of Nigerians. I prefer to keep a low profile and my identity hidden.
I'm presently working for a start-up company that has a very huge prospect. This is my Six(6) months of employment and I developed an amazing web portal for the company in the said time. Truth of the matter, no one believed the web portal was ever done in Nigeria because businessmen/employer in the business or domain underestimate local talents; their believe so much in Indian/US software developers. I stopped the company from paying $68,000 to software development company in India. The web portal is now LIVE. grin and we're having huge traffic and good remark about the website.
My CHALLENGE
My currently earning about N200K monthly, and our competitor is offering me a N350K monthly. My boss found out about the offer and call me to a man-to-man private meeting and offer me a N50K salary increment, housing allowance of N500K yearly and 2Week vacation to Dubai.

I presently work in Abuja, while the offer is in Lagos. I love Abuja, but I have feelings for the N350K offer. grin grin
Am afraid of moving to Lagos due to family problems, however it can be prevented If i stay away. Also am still an undergraduate, although I can transfer my study centre to Lagos.

PLS ADVICE

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 23, 2016
Hi poster....it is nice reading posts like yours and I am glad you are good at your job, so good a competitor noticed you with a job offer and your current boss appreciates you with bonuses...really cool

I know nothing about your job field and associated development pathways, so I cannot tell you which to choose. However should you choose the one that has a trip attached to it, please tell your boss you want to go to Senegal, The Gambia, Tanzania or any touristy or cultural place in Africa. Dubai is beautiful no doubt, but represents total nothingness, IMO. It will not add anything to your cultural saavy and CV, lol. Well, this is just my opinion but consider it as you move on. Also like one poster said, think about branching out on your own. As you work, save, and make the necessary adjustments needed to do this if you ever want to tow the self-ownwership business path.

Good luck! I see you touching the stars cool
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by dammytosh: 7:06pm On Apr 23, 2016
yomalex:
Germyu Stay where you are for now and plan in the next 6 months of starting your consultancy, you can get jobs from various companies you start up on your own and employ people.

consultancy on top 1 portal ?

he go hear ween.
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by yomalex(m): 7:19pm On Apr 23, 2016
dammytosh:

consultancy on top 1 portal ?

he go hear ween.
na today he just start?
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by cajet: 7:53pm On Apr 23, 2016
You are like a footballer so make hay while the sun shines. The decision lies with you bro.
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by AMADU77: 7:54pm On Apr 23, 2016
[size=15pt]Listen[/size] bro

Ur r growing....... u r gifted .....

Both ur [size=15pt]Boss[/size] n [size=15pt]competitors[/size] are [size=15pt]Ba$tards[/size]

U saved ur company from paying 20 million naira and ur boss is talking about 250k !!! Wazzafakk.....in US u will be his partner n share holder

Ur competitor knows ur capacity. ..he wanna swallow u before u grow n swallow him....n maybe hes will catch u wt 350k to destroy u gradually

My advices :
1- no offence please.....leave this country...just give it a try...who know where will u end...u can still come back
2- or kick ur boss n competitor n start ur own firm

All d best
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Rings: 1:06am On Apr 24, 2016
anochuko01:
START YOUR COMPANY! BE A FREE LANCER!
you would earn millions in a month, have more time than you think, you would have the comfort of working from your home, you would be an employer of labour. my brother think! don't allow those people use you to make money and give you peanuts! think!

That was just what i wanted to say. I hail u
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Rings: 1:57am On Apr 24, 2016
germyu:
My CHALLENGE

PLS ADVICE

My Friend, if what your are saying is true then you are just lucky.
I suggest you go with your current boss, he really knows your worth, but remember, they are using you, you are their slave! Since he can pay more to keep you, he can still pay more if he sees someone Better than you.

But my guy, as they use you, use them too. Learn the business don't just be an employee. In business you have to use your IQ.

Now this Is the main gist, stay in the company and finish your school then go ahead and create your own business or company(unless you don't have a big dream).

redcliff:

stuopid advice.. is that what they asked you for? ITK

Ppl like you were born to serve others forever, I guess? I understand.

But you should know that the person that co founded whatsapp , Brian Acton, Had this kind of issue. He worked at Apple, Adobe, Yahoo etc, later went looking for a Job at a larger companies like fb, but fb turned him down. He quitted being an employee and co founded whatsapp with his Friend Koum . It gave him more than $800 000 a year.

Mark bought it because he was afraid, he paid up to that $19B because he knows it worth it.

My Friend, just like that commenter have said the best, he said "think!". Use your brain. Every programmer is known to be smart!
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Bossman(m): 3:23am On Apr 24, 2016
I am surprised to see people doubting your story. I am a software developer myself (though based in the US). There is great potential salary wise if you are very good at what you do. Up here, $70 hr and up is the norm for consultants. And I know consultants in Nigeria making a whole lot more than 350K naira a month. Now, as for you staying or moving on. It depends. If you feel comfortable where you are, you can use it to get more experience, and then move on to much better things afterwards.

For those asking about how to break into software development. I am assuming you are talking about developing/programming some specific programming language. My suggestion is to decide what language you want to program in, and then just master it! Read and program as much as you can. There are tons of resources online. I personally do Java btw.

1 Like

Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by LePrezident(m): 11:43am On Apr 24, 2016
Stay at your current job.

*and considering that this is my first ever comment on Nairaland, you should take my view seriously*
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by SaintChukz(m): 1:50pm On Apr 24, 2016
germyu:
My CHALLENGE

PLS ADVICE

Well I don't know why I'm thinking this maybe a marketing ploy being used by you and your company to sell yourselves. Anyway, whatever it is, I have already sent you a PM because I have some kind of job/project for you to execute that you will be very interested in. So, kindly revert on the PM asap, let's have a business discussion if you're really good as you claim.
Re: Should I Accept This Big Job Offer? Pls Advice! by Ileriahur(m): 9:50am On Apr 25, 2016
germyu:
My CHALLENGE
My currently earning about N200K monthly, and our competitor is offering me a N350K monthly. My boss found out about the offer and call me to a man-to-man private meeting and offer me a N50K salary increment, housing allowance of N500K yearly and 2Week vacation to Dubai. Your current job seems pretty ok with improved package, pls just stay put and pls what is the web portal lets check it out na grin grin grin

PLS ADVICE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Workers Are Ripping Me On Site / Peter Tabichi, Kenyan Teacher Wins $1M Global Prize / How Do You Determine Seniority With Staff On The Same Level And Step?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.