Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,120 members, 7,814,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) (42925 Views)

Say NO To Casual Sex!!! WARNING VERY Graphic pix!!! / NMA Releases Identity Of 6 Ekiti Doctors / How 6 Ekiti Doctors Died, Survivor Recounts - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by GogetterMD(m): 8:29am On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

grin you blew your top so easily.

Apparently you were trained by an equally close minded backwards physician.

Trauma surged is who you want to talk to, not mundane autopsies.

But thanks for the silence suggestion. I'll pass though cheesy
Seatbelt-related injuries

Despite that seatbelts restrain the body to the car seat; the deceleration of the body may cause seatbelt-related injuries. The seatbelt sign is the bruising of the chest or abdominal wall with the diagonal or horizontal strap of the seatbelt. The two point lap belts cause injuries to the abdomen, pelvis, and lumbar spine. With the 3 point restrains, the above injuries also occur with possible added injuries to the chest, heart, lung, brachial plexus and major vessels.

Following a RTC, the presence of a seatbelt sign should raise the suspicion of an intra-abdominal injury. In the presence of a seatbelt sign, the incidence of intestinal injury will increase. In a study of 117 RTC injured patients, 12% had seatbelt sign, of which 64% had abdominal injury. Those without seatbelt sign had fewer abdominal injuries (8.7%). Seatbelt syndrome is defined as a seatbelt sign associated with lumbar spine fracture and bowel perforation. This is caused by hyperflexion of the spine around the lap strap in sudden deceleration leading to crushing of intra-abdominal contents between the spine and the seatbelt. Fixed portions of the bowel such as proximal jejunum and distal ileum are more susceptible to injury than mobile portions. Mobile segments are more capable to escape the high pressure and resultant damage. Functional closed loops may sustain single or multiple blow-out perforations of the anti-mesenteric border of the gut due to raised intra-luminal pressure. Similarly, esophagus and rectum may perforate with the same mechanism. Intestinal strictures were reported as a seatbelt injury, where direct crush injury or contusion to the bowel wall can cause ischemia that ends in fibrosis. Strictures may involve more than one segment if the bowel was injured in more than one site. "Chance fracture" which is a horizontal splitting of the vertebra that begins with the spinous process or lamina and extends anteriorly through the pedicles and vertebral body was first described by Chance GQ in 1948. This fracture has a strong relation with hollow viscus injury associated with lap belt injuries. A seatbelt caused a chronic intermittent intestinal obstruction due to adhesions seven years following trauma. Thoracic duct rupture and chylothorax as a complication of a seatbelt was reported after sudden increase in intra-abdominal pressure. Similarly pancreatic transection at the neck may occur. Intra-peritoneal rupture of distended urinary bladder may occur when the horizontal strap of the seatbelt increases the intra-vesical pressure. Blunt traumatic aortic rupture, sternal fractures, clavicle fractures and shoulder dislocations were also reported as a complication of seatbelts. Cervical spinal injuries were noticed to be higher in restrained children than non-restrained children

Moral of the story: wear your seatbelt at all times, but it doesn't preclude you from fatal injuries
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
GogetterMD:

Seatbelt-related injuries

Despite that seatbelts restrain the body to the car seat; the deceleration of the body may cause seatbelt-related injuries. The seatbelt sign is the bruising of the chest or abdominal wall with the diagonal or horizontal strap of the seatbelt. The two point lap belts cause injuries to the abdomen, pelvis, and lumbar spine. With the 3 point restrains, the above injuries also occur with possible added injuries to the chest, heart, lung, brachial plexus and major vessels.

Following a RTC, the presence of a seatbelt sign should raise the suspicion of an intra-abdominal injury. In the presence of a seatbelt sign, the incidence of intestinal injury will increase. In a study of 117 RTC injured patients, 12% had seatbelt sign, of which 64% had abdominal injury. Those without seatbelt sign had fewer abdominal injuries (8.7%). Seatbelt syndrome is defined as a seatbelt sign associated with lumbar spine fracture and bowel perforation. This is caused by hyperflexion of the spine around the lap strap in sudden deceleration leading to crushing of intra-abdominal contents between the spine and the seatbelt. Fixed portions of the bowel such as proximal jejunum and distal ileum are more susceptible to injury than mobile portions. Mobile segments are more capable to escape the high pressure and resultant damage. Functional closed loops may sustain single or multiple blow-out perforations of the anti-mesenteric border of the gut due to raised intra-luminal pressure. Similarly, esophagus and rectum may perforate with the same mechanism. Intestinal strictures were reported as a seatbelt injury, where direct crush injury or contusion to the bowel wall can cause ischemia that ends in fibrosis. Strictures may involve more than one segment if the bowel was injured in more than one site. "Chance fracture" which is a horizontal splitting of the vertebra that begins with the spinous process or lamina and extends anteriorly through the pedicles and vertebral body was first described by Chance GQ in 1948. This fracture has a strong relation with hollow viscus injury associated with lap belt injuries. A seatbelt caused a chronic intermittent intestinal obstruction due to adhesions seven years following trauma. Thoracic duct rupture and chylothorax as a complication of a seatbelt was reported after sudden increase in intra-abdominal pressure. Similarly pancreatic transection at the neck may occur. Intra-peritoneal rupture of distended urinary bladder may occur when the horizontal strap of the seatbelt increases the intra-vesical pressure. Blunt traumatic aortic rupture, sternal fractures, clavicle fractures and shoulder dislocations were also reported as a complication of seatbelts. Cervical spinal injuries were noticed to be higher in restrained children than non-restrained children

Moral of the story: wear your seatbelt at all times, but it doesn't preclude you from fatal injuries

No you're behaving like a medical doctor. Nothing precludes you from a fatality in automobile accident but seat belts should be worn at all times and it's professionals like you that needs to lead it.

Hopefully you can also do some research to understand that airbags are supplemental restraint system and secondary to and reliant on seat belts.
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by GogetterMD(m): 3:11pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

No you're behaving like a medical doctor. Nothing precludes you from a fatality in automobile accident but seat belts should be worn at all times and it's professionals like you that needs to lead it.

Hopefully you can also do some research to understand that airbags are supplemental restraint system and secondary to and reliant on seat belts.
And you my friend, is behaving like a retard.
Now go back to read my argument from the beginning in a chronological order
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 26, 2016
GogetterMD:

And you my friend, is behaving like a retard.
Now go back to read my argument from the beginning in a chronological order

Sure you can call me names but the reality is that you should be advocating the use of seatbelts instead of trying to say that they are not 100% safe.

Are all surgeries safe? Nothing is safe in this world.

So go ahead and call me names, it simply shows the level of your intellect.
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Sure you can call me names but the reality is that you should be advocating the use of seatbelts instead of trying to say that they are not 100% safe.

So what exactly do you want? You want him to be saying seatbelts are 100% safe right? Does anybody say surgeries are 100% safe? Smh
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by GogetterMD(m): 3:52pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

And where in all of what I said did I mention that the use of seatbelts should stop? All I'm saying is realities associated with SCIENTIFIC findings, but you just keep twisting the facts and misquoting me.
BTW, you assumed I called you names when you questioned my intellect as a doctor, but you really are acting like a slowpoke in trying to put up a flawed non-subtiantative argument with someone more knowledgeable than you are in that regard
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by GogetterMD(m): 3:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
sarzy:

So what exactly do you want? You want him to be saying seatbelts are 100% safe right? Does anybody say surgeries are 100% safe? Smh
As in I give up on the guy men.
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2016
GogetterMD:

And where in all of what I said did I mention that the use of seatbelts should stop? All I'm saying is realities associated with SCIENTIFIC findings, but you just keep twisting the facts and misquoting me.
BTW, you assumed I called you names when you questioned my intellect as a doctor, but you really are acting like a slowpoke in trying to put up a flawed non-subtiantative argument with someone more knowledgeable than you are in that regard

Again, you are free to make any medical allegation upon my person. You made an unintelligent diagnosis because you haven't conducted any medical test to ascertain if I am a slowpoke or not. Maybe this is how you treat your patients in Nigeria.

Listen, you are nothing but a medical Doctor in Nigeria of all places, don't even try to be pompous to me cheesy I've forgotten more about automotive safety than you'll ever learn in three lifetimes.

Simply, as a medical Doctor (something that I'm doubting) 100% advocacy of seatbelt use is what you should be after.

Try as might as you want but I won't go into the gutter with you and instead will continue to stay the true course of the debate.

Some more readings for you. In case you have both data and power grin

http://www.jabfm.org/content/5/5/483.full.pdf
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 4:02pm On Apr 26, 2016
sarzy:

You can shake your head until it falls off, it doesn't concern me.

You are a non-entity to this conversation and just a noise maker and not on my radar.
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
EgunMogaji:

You can shake your head until it falls off, it doesn't concern me.

You are a non-entity to this conversation and just a noise maker and not on my radar.

Not your fault. I quoted you at first because I thought you were polite and mature. Clearly I was wrong! *sigh*
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by Nobody: 5:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
sarzy:

Not your fault. I quoted you at first because I thought you were polite and mature. Clearly I was wrong! *sigh*

The feeling is very mutual grin

Have a pleasant day.
Re: 6 Ekiti Doctors Die In Accident (graphic pix) by EreluY(f): 8:57pm On Apr 26, 2016
RIP to the dead and may the victims' families have the fortitude to bear the loss. Nigeria itself is a death trap. Until traffic laws are kept in that country these things would continue to happen. No amount of fasting and prayers would prevent it. Why? In saner climes cars go through annual MOT checks when they're thoroughly examined and either passed or failed. Speed limits are in place, and speed cameras installed to catch offenders, and of course drivers can't take booze before getting behind the wheels. In Nigeria none of these traffic rules apply. Nigeria is, in every sense of the word, a FAILED STATE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can Methylated Spirit Grow Your Beard? / Benefits Of Garden Egg Leaf / White Men Who Fell Sick In Nigeria (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.