Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,060 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:12 AM

Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG (32455 Views)

Release Nnamdi Kanu Now, Ekweremadu Tells FG, Says He Has No Problem With Buhari / Take A Look At Breakdown Of Buhari Key Appointments So Far From 6 Zones / Look Beyond APC - Ekweremadu Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Oz4realsss: 10:05am On Apr 26, 2016
Juxtified:
What is the guarantee that this will work?

If development cannot even get to the grassroots under the much smaller geographical area of the states, how then do we trust it will with the large regions?

How does Regionalism address our biggest problem as a nation, which is the hydra headed monster called corruption?

I'm of the opinion that the fact that the regional system seemed to have worked a little before, was a s a result of the people at the helm, not the system.

I doubt can anyone prove that wrong
Why are you contradicting yourself?
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by coolitempa(f): 10:06am On Apr 26, 2016
[quote author=solash post=45051642][/quote]

Senegal, they are the only West African country practicing confederacy and till date the only ones who have never experienced a coup. They have multi-party democracy. In Europe you have Belgium to a certain extent and Switzerland who are one of the richest. Think before you write. Let us fashion our way according to our strengths...and not according to the dictates of Lord Lugard.. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by AreaFada2: 10:07am On Apr 26, 2016
janellemonae:

I have to say awolowo was right. A few years after he said dt the north wanted seccession. A few more years after that the SE wanted seccession. This is 2016 and we are still not ethnically integrated. I think the discontent nigerians have at this point is not even with corruption, its a tribal problem as it has always been. undecided

Of course he was.
And he decided to focus on improving the West anticipating the scenario of "God for us all, everyman for himself".

Today East laugh at brown roofs in the West, West laugh at erosion gullies in the East, all laughing at Talakawa/Almajiris up North.

All happening before our very own eyes.

2 Likes

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by RELEASEUS: 10:08am On Apr 26, 2016
byrron:

So because his pdp didn't do it then it shouldn't be done right? Just imagine how people reason cry cry cry cry cry
I have tried to imagine the way ppl reason but Cldnt just understand the rational behind their very poor reasoning ability just like the Buffon you quoted...so because PDP didn't do it so APC shldnt? Na wa o...

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Kingspin(m): 10:10am On Apr 26, 2016
Super1Star:
You are all gradually coming back to the proposition of the Yorubas. We told you when you are all tired of call for secession, resource control and one Nigeria maxim, you will come back to Regional Integration as th only peaceful and viable alternative to this current wasteful, corrupt, inefficient structure that promotes mediocrity over excellence.

That is the only way forward, a smooth and peaceful path to final disintegration.

It will also bring unimaginable progress in all parts of the country as a whole, due to healthy or unhealthy competition.

At least we can have regional police that will protect us from the menace of the fulanis instead of hopelessly and endlessly waiting for the FG.
Regionalism, lagos come to mind.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Super1Star: 10:12am On Apr 26, 2016
Krismart:
Everybody knows and is hearing of Ekweremmadu, how come we never hear of ur father(cardiologist)?

Who is your father ,I repeat?

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by eph12(m): 10:13am On Apr 26, 2016
faaz24:

But he should at least give it a try, u never know it may pass all the readings
Majority of the senators or reps come from the North. Majority of them won't even entertain this thoughts. They are united in this.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Nature129(m): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2016
Babacele:
why didn't Ekweremadu's PDP do it for all their 16 years in power? mtcheeeew...nonsense noise!

Ewu! Does he look like your president? He's only "suggesting" it in his book. Maybe you should read it again for a better understanding.

Obviously, he's followed the structure of govt he met and realised itz not working that's why he's suggesting this

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by eph12(m): 10:14am On Apr 26, 2016
divineappo:
Proactively judging ekweremadu, i think his ultimate game plan is biafra. If 36 states is collapsed into 6 geo-political zones, then biafra has crossed d 1st bridge towards actualizing d biafra state. It will be more easier for them to disintegrate unlike presently. Well, if biafra will be a great country, let them go. But can they really stand as a nation? Dats one big question
So we are doing them a favour by insisting they remain with Nigeria?
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by coolitempa(f): 10:15am On Apr 26, 2016
divineappo:
Proactively judging ekweremadu, i think his ultimate game plan is biafra. If 36 states is collapsed into 6 geo-political zones, then biafra has crossed d 1st bridge towards actualizing d biafra state. It will be more easier for them to disintegrate unlike presently. Well, if biafra will be a great country, let them go. But can they really stand as a nation? Dats one big question

The problem is that this same man is not consistent. One minute he is for the present inoperable system and next minute when his position is weakened, he is for regionalism but having said that, this is the right way to go about Biafra. Like someone else pointed out, it took Britain at least twenty five years before they called a referendum on whether to leave the European Union or stay within it. Same goes for Scotland. Let Biafra supporters get real and get their ideological backers into positions of power and then move towards their ultimate goal. Not all these myopic chest beating which we all know will not get them anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 26, 2016
Super1Star:
You are all gradually coming back to the proposition of the Yorubas. We told you when you are all tired of call for secession, resource control and one Nigeria maxim, you will come back to Regional Integration as th only peaceful and viable alternative to this current wasteful, corrupt, inefficient structure that promotes mediocrity over excellence.

That is the only way forward, a smooth and peaceful path to final disintegration.

It will also bring unimaginable progress in all parts of the country as a whole, due to healthy or unhealthy competition.

At least we can have regional police that will protect us from the menace of the fulanis instead of hopelessly and endlessly waiting for the FG.

How can anyone argue against this?

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Super1Star: 10:17am On Apr 26, 2016
eph12:

Majority of the senators or reps come from the North. Majority of them won't even entertain this thoughts. They are united in this.

Says who?

All we need to do is to build a collaborative coalition between SW SS SE and Middle belt. Just like we did in 2011 for the election of GEJ.

It is possible, if we set our hearts to it and we set our differences apart momentarily.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by donmoz(m): 10:18am On Apr 26, 2016
anetuno:
When is that my certificate-less friend from daura ever going to write a book? grin

You that have certificate whr is your book
Certificate or not he is your president and he may not write a book but ppl will write about him but who kwn you

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Kingspin(m): 10:20am On Apr 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
Naturally, most Southern Nigerians would want the 36 states collapsed into 'zones' or regions. The North will be against it because it will end their political domination of Nigeria. But as an Igbo man, what I'm sceptical against is what the zones will look like, particularly in the area sometimes called SS/SE. I want know what happens to Igbo elements such Igbos of the lower Benue, Delta Igbos, Rivers Igbos and the Abi Igbo speaking people of Cross River. I also want to know if the Efik/Ibibio nation and the Ijaw/Edoid people can actually be in one zone or are they going to be two separate zones or would they prefare to join their Igbo neigbours as one zone? These questions need answering and that is why a referendum has to be conducted before the creation of any zone so that the people can decide which zone they want to belong to.
The useless thing Nigerian government does is creating states, regional or zonal using tribe, language and religion rather than developmental or economic plan. Today, language, tribe and religion remain the reason why the country is down without hope. Everything tribalise or under religion.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Greenback: 10:25am On Apr 26, 2016
Super1Star:

must you always try to paint the se and ss in bad light? You made cynical mentions of resource control and secession (right to self determination),aint those part and parcel of a true and fiscal federalism the ss and se as well has always been drumming for? Is ekweremadu now a yoruba? Look,when you folks continue this way-when the entire south has gotten one real enemy-you southerners are gonna be taken advantage of and for a smooth ride by the ever parasitic and retrogressive north..
The sw,ss and se gotta come together in one accord now and fix the drawback retrogressive drags,the north...whatever differences can then be sorted out later..
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Greenback: 10:28am On Apr 26, 2016
Super1Star:

must you always try to paint the se and ss in bad light? You made cynical mentions of resource control and secession (right to self determination),aint those part and parcel of a true and fiscal federalism the ss and se as well has always been drumming for? Is ekweremadu now a yoruba? Look,when you folks continue this way-when the entire south has gotten one real enemy-you southerners are gonna be taken advantage of and for a smooth ride by the ever parasitic and retrogressive north..
The sw,ss and se gotta come together in one accord now and fix the drawback retrogressive drags,the north...whatever differences can then be sorted out later...
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Juxtified(m): 10:30am On Apr 26, 2016
Oz4realsss:
Why are you contradicting yourself?
Always read well and understand before you comment - online or offline.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Proudlyngwa(m): 10:31am On Apr 26, 2016
holocron:

What you suggest makes great sense, albeit, its very difficult to achieve with the present dispensation, given our lawless culture of corruption.

If regions of central Government are made smaller with resource control, it is believed that greater government accountability will result, because masses now have more access and control of Government than before. Then what you recommended will be achieved.

The powers that control Nigeria hesitate to implement this because it will end the massive looting and mismanagement of the country's resources which they practice for the benefit of their class.

Unfortunately the creation of geopolitical zones killed any hope of regional government. Unless we detribalize this country forget, regionalism.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by mars123(m): 10:32am On Apr 26, 2016
rexzqcom:

Regionalism is the "Real Change" Nigeria need.
Every other change is cosmetic tinkering.
The national foundation must return to pre-independence to 1966 structures to maximize the productive capacity the country.
the current system of government could be productive also but politics overtook governance. now how are we sure it won't rear it's ugly head again once we regionalise? I think regionalisation though is necessary but it has to come during a clean up and not before a clean up. because it is the same leaders we will get managing the same resources.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by ransomed: 10:52am On Apr 26, 2016
He should first sponsor a bill to collapse the bicameral house to unicamera , there after, lobby for 37 members house. Then, i will know he loves Nigerians. Legislooters are enemies of progress.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by eph12(m): 10:55am On Apr 26, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

It makes the component parts (i.e. states) more powerfully than the states. The states will have to reach a common decision (which is practically difficult because of ethnicity) before the centre can take a stand on any international matter.
With rapid growth and developments our orientations will change. So also will our way of reasoning and views of life. And i strongly believe that these developments will come quicker with regionalism. Maybe if we see it as a sort of competition to "out-develop" our neighbors.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by tsdarkside(m): 11:01am On Apr 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
Naturally, most Southern Nigerians would want the 36 states collapsed into 'zones' or regions. The North will be against it because it will end their political domination of Nigeria. But as an Igbo man, what I'm sceptical against is what the zones will look like, particularly in the area sometimes called SS/SE. I want know what happens to Igbo elements such Igbos of the lower Benue, Delta Igbos, Rivers Igbos and the Abi Igbo speaking people of Cross River. I also want to know if the Efik/Ibibio nation and the Ijaw/Edoid people can actually be in one zone or are they going to be two separate zones or would they prefare to join their Igbo neigbours as one zone? These questions need answering and that is why a referendum has to be conducted before the creation of any zone so that the people can decide which zone they want to belong to.

scrap the idea....

we move back to the setup of 1960......northern region and southern region,finish.......separate the senate and parliarment in two......work independent from each other but meet once in a year to give report to your elders and kings,that will hold the ol nigeria toghether,much easier.....

1 president for each region,that divide the responsibilities between each other.....

president only means someone that represents you...realy nothing special.....

this setup would boost the nigerian micro-economie...because problems are solved localy and not federal......
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by akanbiaa(m): 11:06am On Apr 26, 2016
opalu:
All these Media Senators get me tired!
If you have a great idea like this very one, don't announce on media. Sell it to 3/4 or at least 2/3 of your colleagues and make it a law and also lobby the Executive arm to buy it.

Nigeria can develop faster in regions not in states with galaxies of SSAs and SAs
The Idea will make most of his Colleagues Jobless, Governors, House of reps and even ministers
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by tsdarkside(m): 11:11am On Apr 26, 2016
akanbiaa:

The Idea will make most of his Colleagues Jobless, Governors, House of reps and even ministers

dont mind am......you can not just sack someone just like that...they worked hard to reach their possitions....respect the sweat of others....
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by wanimo: 11:20am On Apr 26, 2016
Juxtified:
What is the guarantee that this will work?

If development cannot even get to the grassroots under the much smaller geographical area of the states, how then do we trust it will with the large regions?

How does Regionalism address our biggest problem as a nation, which is the hydra headed monster called corruption?

I'm of the opinion that the fact that the regional system seemed to have worked a little before, was a s a result of the people at the helm, not the system.

I doubt can anyone prove that wrong
u must come from the north
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by holocron: 11:33am On Apr 26, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

Unfortunately the creation of geopolitical zones killed any hope of regional government

How? I would have thought it is a step towards regional government!

It is not easy to abolish tribalism. To achieve it, the first step is to acknowledge it - not denial. Henceforth we urge further cooperation for mutual interests. And then to increased integration.

The worldwide trend is towards greater regional integrations, but Africa started the statehood project on false premises of colonial shell states. What must be done is to step back. Recognise your component ethnic groupings and then forge strong integrated states whose peoples are bound by shared cultural values and interests.

I know it might sound like a step backwards. But, just like a man on the edge of a precipice, we need to step back a little, in order to make a better leap forward to the other side.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by clintwine(m): 11:35am On Apr 26, 2016
Please my People, How do we start championing this cause of reducing Nigeria to just 6 states
can we the people of Nigeria have a referendum on this

The Nigerian state at large is grossly mismanaged and has a lot of overheads and loop holes resulting in a lot of inefficiencies

The creation of multiple states and local governments are just channels for corruption
I believe that we can become a more efficient state by collapsing the 36 states into the 6 States, based on the Geo-Political zones
This will increase our productivity as a nation

6 states(We can call them all different names) :

North Central
North-Eastern
North-Western
South-Eastern
South-Southern
South-Western

And create a law where each state will have a maximum of 30 districts (total of 180 districts -- with district mayor(head) and a Lawmaker representative)
And grant each state autonomy on loads of things and core issues like Army etc be handled by federal government, this way we have a true Federal government

On who should become Head of state, I am of the opinion that we have a President and a Prime Minister with various roles, and it should be rotational.

Where the President/Prime Minister come from 2 different states and after 8 years (2 tenures) , the next president/prime minister is gotten from another state. (-- This will reduce the high Tribalism and ethnicity problem)

The order of Rotation must also be known, so each state knows when it is their turn to produce the president or prime minister ( Similar to how some Igbo communities select the Kings from villages that make up the community in a rotational way).

The Democrazy as we have it is a sham, it does not favor the Nigerian Populace
I am of the opinion that when you see someone wearing a beautiful dress and u like how it so fits and people comment on it, you don't pick the same dress and try to force it on yourself (it is madness), you go pick what will look good on you and fit you as no 2 sizes fits all.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Nature8(m): 11:43am On Apr 26, 2016
Yes! I love this and you have my 100% support on this.. Just like USA..
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Cvesta(m): 11:45am On Apr 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
you neednt bother yourself with this thought process festered by primordial affiliation..division via regions were mentioned,certainly not division by tribes or ethnic group..the South South is already a region on its own

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Amaechi Inspects Port Harcourt International Airport - Photos / Cooking Gas Price Rises By 45% / IPOB Should Allow Us Bury Nnamdi Kanu’s Parents In Peace – Kinsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.