Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG (32462 Views)

Release Nnamdi Kanu Now, Ekweremadu Tells FG, Says He Has No Problem With Buhari / Take A Look At Breakdown Of Buhari Key Appointments So Far From 6 Zones / Look Beyond APC - Ekweremadu Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Proudlyngwa(m): 11:52am On Apr 26, 2016
holocron:

How? I would have thought it is a step towards regional government!

It is not easy to abolish tribalism. To achieve it, the first step is to acknowledge it - not denial. Henceforth we urge further cooperation for mutual interests. And then to increased integration.

The worldwide trend is towards greater regional integrations, but Africa started the statehood project on false premises of colonial shell states. What must be done is to step back. Recognise your component ethnic groupings and then forge strong integrated states whose peoples are bound by shared cultural values and interests.

I know it might sound like a step backwards. But, just like a man on the edge of a precipice, we need to step back a little, in order to make a better leap forward to the other side.

We already acknowledge Tribalism. Unfortunately we can't deal with it. Most Nigerians are products of socio-cultural traits and regionalism will enhance that. Nigeria needs grassroots participation in everything. We are currently building our house from the roof.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Greenback: 12:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
coolitempa:

The problem is that this same man is not consistent. One minute he is for the present inoperable system and next minute when his position is weakened, he is for regionalism but having said that, this is the right way to go about Biafra. Like someone else pointed out, it took Britain at least twenty five years before they called a referendum on whether to leave the European Union or stay within it. Same goes for Scotland. Let Biafra supporters get real and get their ideological backers into positions of power and then move towards their ultimate goal. Not all these myopic chest beating which we all know will not get them anywhere.

quit derailing this topic,u dis aged tribal bigot,ilugunboy/gurnam/ctrlaltdel/boar/eledan....this discourse,if it sails thru,is gonna be the catalyst to greatness and regional rediscovery which we all need..we all know no zone in the south doesnt wanna pull out of this land of darkness where the retrogressive north wanna parasite and lord it upon everybody,we all about sw COSEG,etc,only the se are bold enuff..and its no crime anywhere.. U are very free to attach ur arsse anywhere u like and be led by ur ancestors,dont just bother or discourage or insult others who wants out to freedom,u tribal punk_arsse.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by cuboncutis(m): 12:43pm On Apr 26, 2016
We know our problem, but we are profoundly unwilling to solve it.
The fear of true/fiscal federalism, has left our vibrant minds engraved. We no longer think. Our endowed intellects have eroded. We survive, we no longer live.
Let's for once be true to ourselves. NIGERIA under the present federal structure will collapse/disintegrate. It's only a matter of time.
We can still get it right- TRUE FEDERALISM is the answer!
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 12:43pm On Apr 26, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

I'm for federalism with regionalism, not confederalism.
I am for any of them. They are all better than this one
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Greenback: 12:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
coolitempa:

see am,i knew it....grand papa old roger hiding under woman moniker... grin grin
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Lastine: 12:52pm On Apr 26, 2016
Better said than done grin
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Babacele: 12:58pm On Apr 26, 2016
Nature129:

Ewu! Does he look like your president? He's only "suggesting" it in his book. Maybe you should read it again for a better understanding.

Obviously, he had followed the structure of govt he met and realised itz not working that's why he's suggesting this
OK ....we shall think abourit.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Babacele: 1:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
Oz4realsss:

But he is still in power
yes but had the opportunity to sell it to his party but did he if it were easy
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Babacele: 1:00pm On Apr 26, 2016
Vongsama:

Why are u always quick to announce ur illiteracy and ignorance?
Can't someone have an idea overnight? Is it every opinion u hold now, u held since d beginningof ur life? So if he didn't conceive it den he shldnt conceive it again?
Some people r so d.umb they shld be fed to termites
brb
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by gidgiddy: 1:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
Cvesta:

you neednt bother yourself with this thought process festered by primordial affiliation..division via regions were mentioned,certainly not division by tribes or ethnic group..the South South is already a region on its own

The SS is not a region because it is not backed up by any law. I do not remember any time the Efik man sat down with the Bini Man and agreed to form a region. Any region being formed must be on the basis of the agreement of the indigenous tribes and not because some half illiterate general sat down in an Abuja office and said so. There is no SS or SE region.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Okekeni90(m): 1:17pm On Apr 26, 2016
Musiwa419:
Ekweremadu would be the first ibo man that I would vote for, if he contest and places this as his campaign manifesto.
Without regionalism and true federalism, the progrees and development of Nigeria would remain elusive
But unfortunately some pple will not support dis great idea just becoz oil is not in dia state as if dey cant succeed without oil. I can assure u, if will go back to regional system, 75% of our problems will be solved, by den each region will be responsible for hw to generate dia income and not dis feeding bottle system we r practicing wie some state can hardly pay salaries.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Lionsclaw: 1:46pm On Apr 26, 2016
babs01:
Good, then we can have only 18 senators 3 from each zone to cut d cost on NAS, each zone have to be independent of others in decision making, law and order, development etc. given 20 yrs we shall see the fastest growing zone.
You made sense until your last line.
It is about synergy and not competition. Did you know that there is provision for bailout for struggling nations in the EU if such nations so desire? But here you are already nursing the idea of "I better pass my neighbour.
That little last sentence you may not realize could be lurking as a new foundation for future conflict in the hearts of many who read it.
It seems to me over the years the heart of the average Nigerian has become devilish

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by 982ABU(m): 1:46pm On Apr 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
Naturally, most Southern Nigerians would want the 36 states collapsed into 'zones' or regions. The North will be against it because it will end their political domination of Nigeria. But as an Igbo man, what I'm sceptical against is what the zones will look like, particularly in the area sometimes called SS/SE. I want know what happens to Igbo elements such Igbos of the lower Benue, Delta Igbos, Rivers Igbos and the Abi Igbo speaking people of Cross River. I also want to know if the Efik/Ibibio nation and the Ijaw/Edoid people can actually be in one zone or are they going to be two separate zones or would they prefare to join their Igbo neigbours as one zone? These questions need answering and that is why a referendum has to be conducted before the creation of any zone so that the people can decide which zone they want to belong to.
all your hatred is on north and let me remain you that it is only your zone will be in trouble becouse you don't have anything in your zone to offer your masses you would end up fighting yourselves becouse of leadership tribalist reason with your sense he talking about zone not tribe SS is a zone by itself likewise SE is a zone too if he is talking about tribe that you will bring your useless idea of triberlism and all our three zone we are well organize than your's politicaly economicaly and all aspect of life
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by ekefre4(m): 2:26pm On Apr 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
Naturally, most Southern Nigerians would want the 36 states collapsed into 'zones' or regions. The North will be against it because it will end their political domination of Nigeria. But as an Igbo man, what I'm sceptical against is what the zones will look like, particularly in the area sometimes called SS/SE. I want know what happens to Igbo elements such Igbos of the lower Benue, Delta Igbos, Rivers Igbos and the Abi Igbo speaking people of Cross River. I also want to know if the Efik/Ibibio nation and the Ijaw/Edoid people can actually be in one zone or are they going to be two separate zones or would they prefare to join their Igbo neigbours as one zone? These questions need answering and that is why a referendum has to be conducted before the creation of any zone so that the people can decide which zone they want to belong to.
Well i can answer 1 of your questions. The efik/ibibio people will neva agree to join the igbos in one zone

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by mikolo80: 2:26pm On Apr 26, 2016
babs01:
Good, then we can have only 18 senators 3 from each zone to cut d cost on NAS, each zone have to be independent of others in decision making, law and order, development etc. given 20 yrs we shall see the fastest growing zone.
you can't grow with 36 zones,how will six zones epp?
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by mikolo80: 2:29pm On Apr 26, 2016
gidgiddy:
these questions have been answered.we have 774 "zones",we simply are not willing to move forward,only interested in looting at all levels.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by arcnomec(m): 2:29pm On Apr 26, 2016
Djbaka:
The problem of Nigeria is Nigerians.

We are tribalistic, sentimental about every little thing. We are more interested in the messenger than the message.
We don't care about the sense and wisdom in a message, so far the messenger is not someone who appeals to us, we rubbish and discard it. Talk about throwing away the baby with the bath water.

This man, though of questionable/controversial character (as most people have been implying) has made sense with his proposition, instead of analysing the loopholes and charting the way forward, all I see is ranting and arguments about who first made the proposition, who is the nationalist, who is the tribalist, who is this, who is that.

Fate has brought Nigeria together, we can only channel a way to live together peacefully in it. Enough of blame games. Way forward.

May God reward you with more wisdom for your rapt analysis on this thread.I have been reading with keen interest to see I can get someone who will eventually see the sane-ness in the message rather than cast myopic and ethnic aspersions on it.

People fail to argue rationally and logically on issues that borders on nationalism rather they will resort to tribe,hate,ethnicity and religion and names calling just to buttress their selfish point.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by mikolo80: 2:31pm On Apr 26, 2016
Luckylife:
For all this years they have been deceiving and fooling themselves. For how long can we accept the truth that this system is not working? Is only a country that have more fools that reasonable citizens will keep on doing the same things for years. Let try regionalism . For regionalism click like while against click share for analysis.
nothing wrong with the system.if you like make 1 zone,as long as it these same foolish ppl in charge we wll get same result
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by mikolo80: 2:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
opalu:
All these Media Senators get me tired!
If you have a great idea like this very one, don't announce on media. Sell it to 3/4 or at least 2/3 of your colleagues and make it a law and also lobby the Executive arm to buy it.

Nigeria can develop faster in regions not in states with galaxies of SSAs and SAs
sas who?why can't govs develop states or lga chairmen develop lgas?the people not the system are the problem
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by arcnomec(m): 2:47pm On Apr 26, 2016
[quote author=clintwine post=45054410]Please my People, How do we start championing this cause of reducing Nigeria to just 6 states
can we the people of Nigeria have a referendum on this

The Nigerian state at large is grossly mismanaged and has a lot of overheads and loop holes resulting in a lot of inefficiencies

The creation of multiple states and local governments are just channels for corruption
I believe that we can become a more efficient state by collapsing the 36 states into the 6 States, based on the Geo-Political zones
This will increase our productivity as a nation

6 states(We can call them all different names) :

North Central
North-Eastern
North-Western
South-Eastern
South-Southern
South-Western

And create a law where each state will have a maximum of 30 districts (total of 180 districts -- with district mayor(head) and a Lawmaker representative)
And grant each state autonomy on loads of things and core issues like Army etc be handled by federal government, this way we have a true Federal government

On who should become Head of state, I am of the opinion that we have a President and a Prime Minister with various roles, and it should be rotational.

Where the President/Prime Minister come from 2 different states and after 8 years (2 tenures) , the next president/prime minister is gotten from another state. (-- This will reduce the high Tribalism and ethnicity problem)

The order of Rotation must also be known, so each state knows when it is their turn to produce the president or prime minister ( Similar to how some Igbo communities select the Kings from villages that make up the community in a rotational way).

The Democrazy as we have it is a sham, it does not favor the Nigerian Populace
I am of the opinion that when you see someone wearing a beautiful dress and u like how it so fits and people comment on it, you don't pick the same dress and try to force it on yourself (it is madness), you go pick what will look good on you and fit you as no 2 sizes fits all.

Thumbs up bro.This is what I called rational thinking at work and not all this hate message that has characterized this floor

I keep asking,what makes the traditional stool in our respective communities works in terms of administration than the so called system of government will practice?

We need to have a debate on this,let's see the merits,demerits and ways of implementation of this collapse of states into zones,so as to coexist with each other.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by mikolo80: 2:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
Juxtified:
What is the guarantee that this will work?

If development cannot even get to the grassroots under the much smaller geographical area of the states, how then do we trust it will with the large regions?

How does Regionalism address our biggest problem as a nation, which is the hydra headed monster called corruption?

I'm of the opinion that the fact that the regional system seemed to have worked a little before, was a s a result of the people at the helm, not the system.

I doubt can anyone prove that wrong
pls help me tell them o
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Syphax(m): 3:18pm On Apr 26, 2016
Super1Star:

Keep quiet.

Tell your lies to Ironsi that derailed the regionalism.

Tell your lies to your myopic Zik that opposed secession clause in the Nigerian Constitution.
Shut the f**k up! We Igbos brought up the issue of confederation during the Aburi meeting but your kinsmen decide to act against it.
Next time check history before blaming the Igbo nation for your mistakes.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Achuwa1(m): 3:28pm On Apr 26, 2016
Babacele:
why didn't Ekweremadu's PDP do it for all their 16 years in power? mtcheeeew...nonsense noise!

coz Nigeria has become worse in this regime but better of under pdp rule
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Super1Star: 3:38pm On Apr 26, 2016
Syphax:

Shut the f**k up! We Igbos brought up the issue of confederation during the Aburi meeting but your kinsmen decide to act against it.
Next time check history before blaming the Igbo nation for your mistakes.

Lol. Who told you that lie?

Nigeria had a regional system of governance before your blood thirsty coupists killed the leaders of other regions and told us angel Gabriel protected theirs from being killed.

To add salt to injury, the benefactor of the coup, Ironsi, by decree centralised power by abolishing devolution of power the regions, in the bid of Igbos to lord it over others. They wanted to achieve what they were too politically lazy to achieve through the barrel of gun.

When Gowon took over after the counter coup, he solidified the centralisation of power by dividing the regions into states.

You wanted to go back to the regional govt you abolished after you lost out in the counter coup. Hence, your insistence on it at Aburi.

If you have not abolished it, perhaps there won't be anything to insist on.

Igbos and their greed led us to where we are today.

2 Likes

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by gidgiddy: 3:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
ekefre4:
Well i can answer 1 of your questions. The efik/ibibio people will neva agree to join the igbos in one zone

Since when were you elected Efik/Ibibio national spokesman?
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by NobleG1(m): 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2016
It's a good suggestion.
It will encourage development and save billions of dollars.
It will cut number of governors, senators, reps. and useless government institutes.

But corrupt senators and reps. won't let it happen because they will lose their jobs and opportunities to loot.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by NobleG1(m): 4:24pm On Apr 26, 2016
It's a good suggestion.
It will encourage development and save billions of dollars.
It will cut number of governors, senators, reps. and useless government institutes.

But corrupt senators and reps. won't let it happen because they will lose their jobs and opportunities to loot.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 26, 2016
Super1Star:
You are all gradually coming back to the proposition of the Yorubas. We told you when you are all tired of call for secession, resource control and one Nigeria maxim, you will come back to Regional Integration as th only peaceful and viable alternative to this current wasteful, corrupt, inefficient structure that promotes mediocrity over excellence.

That is the only way forward, a smooth and peaceful path to final disintegration.

It will also bring unimaginable progress in all parts of the country as a whole, due to healthy or unhealthy competition.

At least we can have regional police that will protect us from the menace of the fulanis instead of hopelessly and endlessly waiting for the FG.

Shut up. your Yoruba kindred are the one thwarting that effort of SS and SE On regional government because oof Oil, you are happy sniffing the balls of an average Northerner.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Super1Star: 5:16pm On Apr 26, 2016
GreatSE:

Shut up. your Yoruba kindred are the one thwarting that effort of SS and SE On regional government because oof Oil, you are happy sniffing the balls of an average Northerner.

It is our choice to decide whatever we want sniff. You have been sniffing same from 1960 till date -- Zik sniffed that of Balewa, Ekwueme did same with Shagari and GEJ did same with Yar Adua.

We have it all in SW, whether oil or industrialization or agriculture or solid minerals etc .

It is SE that does not have anything to offer this country apart from crime.

1 Like

Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 26, 2016
uduak2016:

Great analysis...sounds like you know more about the pyschology of Akwa Ibom and Cross River with respect to the artificially crafted SS. I assure as that if the country is divided into Zones, Akwa Ibom and Cross River will prefer to be in SE.
Its soley their decision and its beta everyone stays independent.
Re: Collapse 36 States To 6 Zones, Ekweremadu Tells FG by Nobody: 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2016
tjay007:
truth be told, with the current arrangement, true federalism with each of the 36 states having control of their resources and a progressive tax regime for them to remit to the federal government at the centre looks good. this coupled with untainted transparency, accountability, autonomy and judicial reforms(proper justice system) from top(FG) to bottom(LG), will see the country's development rapid amidst healthy competition among states; which will bring about a high level of creativity and wealth.
thank u.ppl are thinking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Video Of The Full Military Welcome Ceremony For President Tinubu In Qatar / Seriake Dickson Leads With 25, 415 Votes / Shekau Missing As Boko Haram Releases New Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.