Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! (30259 Views)

Facebook User Exposes New Format ATM Fraudsters Use To Scam People. / New ATM Scam Alert Fraudsters Use And Can Put You In Serious Trouble / Cook Who Specializes In Forex Scam And Cloning Of ATM Cards Arrested (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Ishilove: 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
I always reply their messages...to lay curses on them angry

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by gift3d(f): 8:23pm On Apr 26, 2016
eldino44:
"your name is" NOT "your names are" unless u are possessed. Even if you are possessed " your name is legion".
*back to d matter. sorry 4 d lost in this time of hardship. always be careful incase of next time
Epic! grin
eldino44:
"your name is" NOT "your names are" unless u are possessed. Even if you are possessed " your name is legion".
*back to d matter. sorry 4 d lost in this time of hardship. always be careful incase of next time
Epic!
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by JoeBlocks(m): 8:27pm On Apr 26, 2016
Ishilove:
I always reply their messages...to lay curses on them angry
I do exactly the same. Lol.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Teechawa: 8:29pm On Apr 26, 2016
thurpee:
And you called yourself a student? So sad you fell for this cheap scam.

Reminds me how my first phone was stolen. I was cooking in another room in the hostel since my room had electrical socket issue. i was alone in the room. So, i go check my food and return. After a while i serched for my phone and could not get it. When I called my line it was switched off. Student ooooo!
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Teechawa: 8:30pm On Apr 26, 2016
A lecturer was also scammed of hundreds of thousands by someone who claims to be his former student and wants to reciprocate his gesture. The lecturer fell flat. The scamming thing no know any level. Make God just help us.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Ishilove: 8:31pm On Apr 26, 2016
JoeBlocks:
I do exactly the same. Lol.
We are many grin
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by musicwriter(m): 8:33pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empredboy:
»»ALERT ALERT ALERT»»
Beware of ATM fraudsters.

I, BenjaminZion is a VICTIM.
Read till the end Ooh:
Since last week Wednesday till yesterday, I frequently receive an SMS from this phone number: 234 803 413 8959. and the message read thus:
"Dear Customer, due to the BVN validation in compliance with CBN directives, your ATM card has been deactivated. Call our helpline on 08034138959 now.
My people, at first, I ignored it severally knowing that if truly its from First Bank, the SMS should've bear FIRST BANK name.
Then on Sunday, someone visited my house, so I decided to go withdraw but the ATM machine displayed that I've exceeded 5times of withdrawal which I haven't.
Now, I believed the SMS I got might be from the Bank Manager of the branch where I opened my account @ Onitsha.
Then today, around 12:17pm, I got same SMS and I decided to call because I'll be attending a seminar tomorrow here in Enugu which I need to withdraw money that will aid my transport and other expenses.
When I called, the number picked up & said "This Is FBN helpline, I'm speaking with Mr Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu" I replied "Yes". He called out my account number & the last two digits of my ATM card. I was shocked then, I now believed it was from First Bank.
Throughout the dialogue, he was calling me Sir, Sir, Sir. I was convinced coz that's how bankers treat customers.
He asked me to call the 19digit pin on my ATM card, which is the Serial number & I dis exactly.
Within 4mins, I got this five code (28506) which I sent back to them as instructed. They told me to call Back after 40mins.
My people, within 25mins, I got an alert of #10.000, five times, which is 50.000naira.
I called back the number & complained; they say, they'll refund the money within the remaining 15mins. That they're testing the pin.
Then, I began suspecting the whole transaction.
I called a staff @ FBN Onitsha, the branch where I opened the account, her line was switched off.
I suspended the lunch I was preparing, switch off the gas cooker, dressed up like a mad man and made my way out of the house.
I stopped a Keke (tricycle), I even wore my belt and shirt inside the Keke.
When I got to the bank, I went straight to the Bank Manager's office (My new friend), I complained to him. He was mad @ me & blamed me for not calling him to confirm since I have his contact. I also blamed him for not informing me hitherto coz he knows such info & didn't informed me earlier.
He took me to the "Customer Service Unit", I was given a form where I penned down my Acc name & number. They blocked the ATM card & pin immediately.
Still @ the spot, I got a withdrawal alert of #30.000naira, summing it #80,000.
Many people came for same purpose; a lady was lamenting that after giving them her ATM Serial pin, within 30mins, she got an alert that she transferred 200.000 two times i.e 400.000naira. To one Mr Jude Okonta. Then, my anger was lessened, I began to thank God for making me notice on time & acted fastly.
I went outside & test the ATM card and it was blocked truly.
I called back the line, and the man/guy said "Sorry sir, for the inconvenience, we're trying to refund the money but there's poor network. I quickly lay curse upon the man, and gave him 1week to refund my money or he'll meet his waterloo.
How can a student like me lose such amount to nothing good.
Though I'm burning with ANGER & GRUDGES but
I decided to write an article on this, so that none of my friend will fall victim as I did today.
Kindly share this to others.

My names are: Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu.
{Deo-Gratias}.

If they mentioned your name and account details even before you spoke to them, then first bank staffs are behind it. They're the only people who have such info.

Besides, I have had my own bad experience with first bank just last week. I wanted to purchase something online, something of just about $200. And as I usually do I didn't want to use my main account online. So, I paid in N70,000 and opened a new card account. Account was opened after after 3 days. I checked the account and N2,100 was missing, immediately.

I talked to the customer service, he was busy and said I should dial 111 ''with the bank's phone'' just a few feet away. I called the number and the person at the other end collected every info about me and card; including first 6 digits and last 4 digits. This did't look right to me, but I gave him anywhere since I was calling from the bank's phone and there wasn't a lot of money in the account as well.

Later, I made my online purchase and withdrew N5,000 from ATM. I was hoping I would have little more money since I expected to be charged at N199 to $1 as Buhari and Mr. Emefiele is telling us. So, I tried making just one more small payment of $30 and it declined. When I visited an ATM days later, I was shocked nothing was left in the account. As I speak I just feel I ''dashed'' them money.

In hindsight; I believed that phone was hacked and I shouldn't have given my details to whomever was on the other side. I'm quite sure the guy removed some money from my account, cause there's no way N70, 000 would amount to $200 and N5,000.

SOLUTION for you and other readers:

1. Get an account you'll never use online.

2. Don't activate internet use on all your cards, unless the one you want to use for that purpose.

3. Only put money to your internet card above when you want to order something online.

4. Get account that have neither ATM nor internet banking (where you keep your main money).

5. Have different accounts/cards for different purposes!.

I have cards I could give the details to anybody, but he/she can't do anything with it because there's no money therein. The only time I'll put money there is when I want to use it. Imagine if I had lots of money in said account.

Be wise!.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by goldenceo1: 8:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
someone from d bank has already sold out your details. D fraudster who trick you was just a third party.

sorry for d lost man. 80k get hand n leg dis period oh.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by SIRKAY98(m): 8:37pm On Apr 26, 2016
Dexter247:
@OP Am confused, how did they get your Account Number and the last two digits of ur Card in the first place??

Well i think the people that initiates this scam will have an insider in the Bank to perpetrate this act

Firstly i ever wonder how they got his mobile number which is very much possible with the help of an insider in the bank or anywhere else .then they might have gone to the bank to act as if they want to pay in money for him and ask of his account number!

But i think the last 2 digit of his card was just been tried bybthe scammer and it worked
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by toseman(m): 8:42pm On Apr 26, 2016
D's ATM fraud is too common with first bank,I have a bro that lost over 750grand due to this ATM fraudster stuff.first should check the porous security flaws
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Mythinghot(m): 8:43pm On Apr 26, 2016
If people like una no dey guy men no go dey chop. Upon all the warning you still Waka with your two legs enter trap. Ukpana okpoko gburu, nti chiri ya.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by myssmee: 8:48pm On Apr 26, 2016
They did same to my friend we acted like we were playing along and insulted the guy afterwards like some people are so myopic kai
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by olutunde12(m): 8:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
donbenedict:
Eya. Too bad

We are the ones that still keep fraudsters in business. Are we really educated?

~ received the same text though from a diff number and i sent this to the number i was asked to call " I dont know why i saved this number with THEIF"
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by fortune1968: 8:54pm On Apr 26, 2016
Im much suprised that somebody could fall victim of a cheap scam like this .I got such a message on my two phone lines bout 2weeks ago.I didnt read it twice b4 i deleted it .
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by buchai: 8:56pm On Apr 26, 2016
I got same message today with a different phone number i called them and rudely reply them with series of questions they were fustrated with my qustions at the end i told them that i do not use ATM i suspecting the banker i mean the cashier that paid me today for disclosing my phone number to frudulent people.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by dania30(f): 8:57pm On Apr 26, 2016
#Random thought
People should learn to dispose tellers after payment. Most times numbers are written including account numbers.
@op, this kain austerity you lose that kain money cry cry

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by maxwell767(m): 9:08pm On Apr 26, 2016
I got the same message and I called back, wat I asked the guy was, have u seen or heard a criminal steals from a criminal b4??, lolz... He paused for a while and then ended the call..... grin grin my dear NL's till now the idiot refused to pick my calls....... Lord have mercy..cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 26, 2016
I believe they can be caught. The introduction of Bank Verification Number (BVN) allows all accounts to be linked up. Since the transferred money to another account, go to ur bank, make the illegal transaction known to them, request for your statement of account and take it to any branch of the bank that the money was transferred to (go to the police station and make a report)
The bank should be able to get details of the account holder, address, phone numbers, picture, etc. the bank knows what to do from here...
Secondly, if u have a facebook account, trace that name and see if the name exist (that's if they can b careless enough to have such), U know these thieves can be dull atimes, they could post pictures of events, parties they've bin to, from there u should be able to know their location per adventure the address given to the bank is false.
Lemme stop here.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2016
INFACT A SECTION OF MY CHURCH'S SUNDAY BULLETIN CARRIES THE BANK FRAUDSTERS WARNING NOTF...FRAUD DON REACH SOTE FATHER DEY HIDE ORDINARY ACCOUNT NUMBER FROM WIFE AND KIDS.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Debbime(f): 9:34pm On Apr 26, 2016
This is a very common trick,

Here is another number that I get the text from,

Please note it in case

08060564385[size=8pt][/size][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by maasoap(m): 9:35pm On Apr 26, 2016
Who programmed op's atm card to display that he had withdrawn 5 times? His account number and the last two digits of his card, how did they know it? Definitely, someone is collabo from within with the fraudsters outside.
But @op,why did you keep the message and the number that sent it to you on your phone? You kept the earlier messages on your phone, that was why it was easy for you to contact that number for help.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 9:41pm On Apr 26, 2016
I also received this sms alert from a fraudster pls people beware of the number you see in the SMS and no bank will call you or send an SMS requesting you to update your profile via the sms , phone call or e-mail address.

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Meesquared(m): 9:47pm On Apr 26, 2016
sorry for the loss. they sent mee twice last week. buh how did they get the last 2 digits on your pin. and coincidentally u couldn't withdraw. maybe u opened up wen u were trying ta withdraw one of the past days. u have to be careful at the ATM machine next time. sorry tho
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by islandmoon: 9:49pm On Apr 26, 2016
check the sms alert you got, I'm presently trying to help a woman retrieve her money , sometimes, these boys use the money to buy VTU online.
when it happened to that lady, she showed me the SMS Alert of the transaction and it indicated it was used to purchase MTN VTU online to a particular MTN number, the number the fraudster used in sending these fraudulent SMS, to the tune of N46,000 , I asked the bank to print out the statement of account immediately, 'there in her presence, took it to MTN office, though they wanted police Extract, but I showed the bank statement and the SMS alerts, he checked it on his computer and confirmed it did happened, I then beg the MTN guy to just block the guy from using VTU service as to deny the fraudster access to the airtime purchased with this woman money, so, he couldn't sell the airtime, while we proceeded to the police station to get police extract, the 46,000 Airtime is still there blocked 4days ago with him having no access to it for 3days, though we have not been to MTN office to check the airtime again in the past 4days as they assured us they have blocked him but they said she would need to go to court and then the police will sign , then the 46,000 will be transferred back to her , but the problem now is that after the police signed, this is where we are presently having problem, the guy at the MTN said the letter must be signed by someone in the rank of not less than the assistant commissioner of police, so we are still waiting for them to sign, and its over 4 days now!

i will tell the woman to go to MTN office tomorrow to confirm the line remain blocked from VTU and also check if the police has done the needful

these 3 numbers recently sent me the same sms

i will add the last number when i charge my other phone

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by wiringdpt(m): 9:59pm On Apr 26, 2016
Sorry bro. Street smart in different from book smart.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Wyse1: 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2016
sorry my guy they send the same message to my wife but I told her to delete it
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 26, 2016
phone conversations is not good. my banks diamond bank &ZENITH they always informed there customers.
even if they use your love one's phone numbers to send u sms try call to confirm their voice.

although first bank like d one ketu.Lagos

respect to their staff's
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Jarus(m): 10:07pm On Apr 26, 2016
Empredboy:
»»ALERT ALERT ALERT»»
Beware of ATM fraudsters.

I, BenjaminZion is a VICTIM.
Read till the end Ooh:
Since last week Wednesday till yesterday, I frequently receive an SMS from this phone number: 234 803 413 8959. and the message read thus:
"Dear Customer, due to the BVN validation in compliance with CBN directives, your ATM card has been deactivated. Call our helpline on 08034138959 now.
My people, at first, I ignored it severally knowing that if truly its from First Bank, the SMS should've bear FIRST BANK name.
Then on Sunday, someone visited my house, so I decided to go withdraw but the ATM machine displayed that I've exceeded 5times of withdrawal which I haven't.
Now, I believed the SMS I got might be from the Bank Manager of the branch where I opened my account @ Onitsha.
Then today, around 12:17pm, I got same SMS and I decided to call because I'll be attending a seminar tomorrow here in Enugu which I need to withdraw money that will aid my transport and other expenses.
When I called, the number picked up & said "This Is FBN helpline, I'm speaking with Mr Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu" I replied "Yes". He called out my account number & the last two digits of my ATM card. I was shocked then, I now believed it was from First Bank.
Throughout the dialogue, he was calling me Sir, Sir, Sir. I was convinced coz that's how bankers treat customers.
He asked me to call the 19digit pin on my ATM card, which is the Serial number & I dis exactly.
Within 4mins, I got this five code (28506) which I sent back to them as instructed. They told me to call Back after 40mins.
My people, within 25mins, I got an alert of #10.000, five times, which is 50.000naira.
I called back the number & complained; they say, they'll refund the money within the remaining 15mins. That they're testing the pin.
Then, I began suspecting the whole transaction.
I called a staff @ FBN Onitsha, the branch where I opened the account, her line was switched off.
I suspended the lunch I was preparing, switch off the gas cooker, dressed up like a mad man and made my way out of the house.
I stopped a Keke (tricycle), I even wore my belt and shirt inside the Keke.
When I got to the bank, I went straight to the Bank Manager's office (My new friend), I complained to him. He was mad @ me & blamed me for not calling him to confirm since I have his contact. I also blamed him for not informing me hitherto coz he knows such info & didn't informed me earlier.
He took me to the "Customer Service Unit", I was given a form where I penned down my Acc name & number. They blocked the ATM card & pin immediately.
Still @ the spot, I got a withdrawal alert of #30.000naira, summing it #80,000.
Many people came for same purpose; a lady was lamenting that after giving them her ATM Serial pin, within 30mins, she got an alert that she transferred 200.000 two times i.e 400.000naira. To one Mr Jude Okonta. Then, my anger was lessened, I began to thank God for making me notice on time & acted fastly.
I went outside & test the ATM card and it was blocked truly.
I called back the line, and the man/guy said "Sorry sir, for the inconvenience, we're trying to refund the money but there's poor network. I quickly lay curse upon the man, and gave him 1week to refund my money or he'll meet his waterloo.
How can a student like me lose such amount to nothing good.
Though I'm burning with ANGER & GRUDGES but
I decided to write an article on this, so that none of my friend will fall victim as I did today.
Kindly share this to others.

My names are: Benjamin Zion Arinzechukwu.
{Deo-Gratias}.

How on earth can you fall for this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 26, 2016
mtn & banks de du collabo.
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by edorhe14(m): 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2016
I got the same message yesterday I knew it was a scam and I played along all the way and gave them fake details..
They have been calling me and wasting their precious time and credit..lol
Them wan defraud me wey be street?
Their father
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by Engrr(m): 10:27pm On Apr 26, 2016
I am really surprise that a student(as u claim to be) like you can fall to this cheap scam
....this na old scam nah!!!....

If ever u try to read the message that displays at ATM machines, you could have seen it writtem clear that "your bank can NEVER ask you for your pin or card No"
Re: Beware Of Atm Fraudsters!!! by chuzero(m): 10:28pm On Apr 26, 2016
Hu u epp?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

School Proprietor Caught Defiling 11-year-old Pupil / Teenager Collapses After Rape By 60- Year-old Lagos Landlord / Man Who Dresses In Hijab To Steal Female Pants Caught In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.