Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81996 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by mission08: 6:27pm On Aug 03, 2010
Tank God I saw this thread.

To every1 who has added value to this topic, I say u av done a good job. I was actually searching nairaland to c if i could get anytin on being a PA. This is my situation.

I have a degree in business admin and a professional certificate in strategic management. Ijoined my present organisation(an NGO) last year,Oct 2009 as an admin officer. I tell u, d orgnisation is doing real good with physical presence in most of nigerian states. I've been offered a position to work with the CEO as his PA. Mind u he is a PROFESSOR. The offer is a WOW monetary wise, job content is very rich and broad. My concern is d wide gap between our qualification and profession. He is in the medical field. From wat i heard i may be called to make presentations on his behalf. From what i know of him, he's a perfectionist who doesnt tolorate mistakes. He believes you should be abreast of all happenings. Moreso, he told me he doesnt want a learner but a person to get on the job fast. Funny enough, he hand picked me himself.

I am yet to start the job but in a couple of weeks time, i'll resume. Please, I'll appreciate any advice on aw to take off this new role.

Thanks for ur anticipated advice
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by SmashingM(f): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2010
Hi everyone,

I really appreciate the good work being done by you all on this forum and especially this thread. I'm an Admin Assistant/Office Secretary and a Personal Secretary to the MD in a private company. I joined this company a year ago as a receptionist and got promoted to my current status. Initially i didn't like the work because of its challenges (which i thought i couldn't meet) and I not being a trained secretary. Moreover i have a degree in one of the basic sciences though i'm yet to go for my NYSC (which will be in March next year).

I've come to enjoy this profession and would like to be a trained (professional) secretary. Please how do i go about it? I've read about the MBA, Certified exams and all others. For someone like me who's science oriented, i'm i going to start from the beginning (ie arts subject, jamb and degree)? Please help a sister out.

Thanks so much for your anticipated response.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 2:01pm On Sep 02, 2010
@ all.

I still need a change of job (SECRETARY) in Ibadan, Oyo State. Kindly keep me posted of any vacancy through ayokemi2003@yahoo.com.

Thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 14, 2010
Good day everyone.
Am a new memeber.I got so interested in this topic that i read thru the 22 pages.Am currently working as a PA to a group head in an insuarance coy.
Although, i  have always been working as a secretary where a lot of responsibilities were assigned to me and i loved doing them.But here ,since i joined in Aug, i hv not really  been doing anything and i dont like it cos am not a lazy person.As u can see i dont hv anything to do that is why i was able to read thru a 22 page topic.
I  have planned to resign but something keeps telling me to hold on.I  have discussed wit  my boss asper my sitting down and not doing anythg.All he could tell me was to make the list of what i culd do. I did this for like 2 wks now and we hv not talked abt it.Each time i remind him, he will fix time again.It now looks as if am pestering him.He said he didnt hv time to involve me in his schedules right now.
Please what shld i do.I hv b een trying to go online to check what PA does but he is not helping matters cos i cant do anythg witout him.
Asper the IAAP,i hv tried to register online and i think am interested in the association  but i stumbled on  a problem whn trying to fill the form so i culd not finished and it is not possible i register as new member again.I hv my ID already but no chapter number.
Please what shld i do.
@ peace please r u able to pay their money and hw did u do that.Am planning to write the CIPM exam but that will be Feb again since i missed the Aug diet.I really  need to upgrade myself but just help me with info.What abt the NIPS?Can i still meet up with the Sept induction?
thank you.If u need to send mails to me  my id is nikkyair@yahoo.com
Hope to read from u soonest
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:10am On Sep 15, 2010
@ nikkykay
Calm down, you are barely one months old in ur new coy. your boss has to know and trust you before he can involve you in his sechdule. All you can do now is to let him know that u can be trusted with info. and also let him see the l can do attitude in you. Secretarial job does not really involve much of your boss's job, but a PA position involves his job. Take it easy he will unfold with time. Dont come here to tell us that work is killing you oo grin

l wasnt able to pay for the IAAP, it was one of the members OJURERE that brought the idea. Someone later come up that we should pay the money to him, that he will help us to pay, bla bla bla. I have forgotten about that.

I dont believe in NIPS, l dont see much credibility in the institute.

CIPM - l wrote my PE 1 exam last August, l believe God to pass all the papers, so l will be writing the final stage next Feb.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2010
@ my peace
Thank u very much for ur response.
I was even thinking of moving to another unit but i think i will hve to be patient with him like u said.
asper the issue of CIPM, by HIs grace i will start from PE2 cos i am an associate member of NIM.
I sent a mail to IAAP and i was told i will have to write exams in May 2011 for me to be certified but that they dont have their branch in Nigeria.I dont knw how to go abt that for now.
I hope to get in touch again when i hv any issue and i hope i will able able to count on u and the other respondents of the section then
Thank you once again.
Please can u send ur mail to my email so that i can alway reach u directly cos it took like 24hrs be4 this my post was replied?My id again is nikkyair@yahoo.com
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 3:05pm On Sep 15, 2010
I must say i have not been faithful in this forum in the last 6months.

Mypeace, on the issue of IAAP, the only Country they are in Africa is South Africa and if anyone would have to pay i feel it is better they pay directly to any of their foreign accounts than to use anybody in Nigeria. The guy i was speaking to the other time, i felt he was just interested in reaping us off.

Nikki @ the advise mypeace gave you kindly stick to it and am certain you would have a swell time in your new job.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by SmashingM(f): 10:09am On Sep 18, 2010
SmashingM:

Hi everyone,

I really appreciate the good work being done by you all on this forum and especially this thread. I'm an Admin Assistant/Office Secretary and a Personal Secretary to the MD in a private company. I joined this company a year ago as a receptionist and got promoted to my current status. Initially i didn't like the work because of its challenges (which i thought i couldn't meet) and I not being a trained secretary. Moreover i have a degree in one of the basic sciences though i'm yet to go for my NYSC (which will be in March next year).

I've come to enjoy this profession and would like to be a trained (professional) secretary. Please how do i go about it? I've read about the MBA, Certified exams and all others. For someone like me who's science oriented, i'm i going to start from the beginning (ie arts subject, jamb and degree)? Please help a sister out.

Thanks so much for your anticipated response.

@ my peace and others, please i still need your views on the above. Help a sister out. Thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by vinna(f): 1:30am On Oct 13, 2010
Hello all. I was a formerly a p.a to d regional manager of one of d sanusi-troubled banks. I need another job. Anyone with contact or link pls send a mail 2 nomsiano@yahoo.com. Help a sista out pls.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by kehnie: 6:25pm On Nov 22, 2010
Hello everyone,
I need your advise,i have worked as a front desk executive in an organisation for 2 yrs now without been promoted only dat my salary has been increase,I will like to pursue a career in PA/SECRETARY but most organisation i have apply to always says they cant take me cos i work as a front desk even though i also double as a PA.presently I am undertaking my MBA in Human Resources Management,I will really appreciate your advise cos i really need a career change,thanx.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by peelovee(f): 11:46am On Nov 23, 2010
Never knew this forum exist, cool i'm so happy now that i know.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 4:36pm On Nov 23, 2010
You are welcome peelovee

@ all,

Let's keep this thread alive.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by vinna(f): 1:40pm On Nov 24, 2010
I agree with fummkemmy. Lets keep the forum lively. Mypeace, Ojurere, and Co where are u guys?!!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by peelovee(f): 2:26pm On Nov 24, 2010
FunmyKemmy:

You are welcome peelovee

@ all,

Let's keep this thread alive.

Many thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by mission08: 11:16am On Dec 17, 2010
It's a pity that this tread is thinning out, i pray it wont.

I earlier wrote about being offered a position of a PA to the President of my organisation. Well, It's been two months and i'v experienced ups and down in this new role. The first hurdle is dat d position made me relocate to Abuja which i took to my stride - new position, new environment, new colleagues, new office, new boss, e.t.c. Adapting to these changes was my first task. Thank God, I'm now settled.

As some people earlier commented, colleagues expects me to know everything going on especially at the management level, including information I dont have access to.

The same thing goes for my boss; he once told me that I should be very inquisitive cos i'm his hears in the organisation. He expects me to have a ready answer to any question. Apart from being his PA, I still find myself handling admin matters. Presently we dont have an Admin manager in our Abuja office but dr are admins officers on different projects. Therefore, I find myself coordinating the general admin matters like interviews, general staff meetings, management meetings, writing memos, coordinating junior staff e.t.c The truth is I am not more qualified or experienced than other admin officers but d position itself comes with high expectation. Thank God for the little experience I had as an admin officer.

One of the major challenges i have is trying to be abreast of the organisation's activities. Like I said in my earlier post, I work with an NGO and we have different projects we are implementing. I dont have programs background, therefore sometimes i seem kind of lost. For instance, I take minutes when the president is in a meeting with say an implementing partner. Covering such meeting could be a bit difficult as I'm not conversant with most issues. Although, I'v been reading alot about our project and I believe that with time I will overcome this.

Another challenge is handling other logistics while in a meeting. I am expected to cover a meeting at the same time organise the logistics like tea, lunch, payment of sitting allowance (if necessary) e.t.c If the tea does not come on time- wahala, d lunch is late- trouble. I would be blamed for those lapses even if it is obvious that someone else didnt act on time. For example, there was this interview I organised, I had told our domestic staff to get lunch for the interview panel while I went in to cover the interview process. When it was time for lunch, I expected him to be back but that was when I was told that he just left cos there was no vehicle on ground. My boss was angry and he told me that next time I should be the one to get the lunch myself. Tell me, how am I to divide myself, one part at d interview, d other part buying lunch.lol

One thing I have realized is, If you are not careful and assertive; your desk will be a dumping ground or you might end up being an errand girl. I have a scanner, photocopier, printer e.t.c in my office, If the domestic assistant is not around some staff expects me to help with such tasks. Well, sometimes I do at other times I tell them to wait for assistant. Again, another task i dont really like is the idea of making tea for visitors. I'm expected to do it is our assistance is not around and there are visitors. ( Hmmm, may God help me o)

I believe this position is a stepping stone. If one is open to learning, d sky is just d begining. To my fellow secretaries and PAs in the house, do have a merry Xmas and a prosperous New Year.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:45am On Jan 19, 2011
Thanks for sharing that mission08.

The tea stuff is funny and boring (especially where and when you have to make tea for a junior staff somehow) but we are getting there with God.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by otilowaju(f): 12:30pm On Jan 25, 2011
FunmyKemmy:

Thanks for sharing that mission08.

The tea stuff is funny and boring (especially where and when you have to make tea for a junior staff somehow) but we are getting there with God.

Boring? It's most annoying!! (, yes, for junior staff and sometimes for folks much younger than you,  guys that were still in kindagarten when you were writing jamb! , and them mumu will be telling you their specification , '"pls give me coffee, not tea"!!! God, my kids would not tread this path o, by your grace!!!

Greetings to you all fellow Secretaries/PAs in the house. May the good Lord reward us all and take us to greater heights in Jesus name.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by otilowaju(f): 12:35pm On Jan 25, 2011
Please o, I have an experienced male Secretary that's seeking employment as Sec/PA/Admin Officer.
Help from anyone would be appreciated. Pls email petalsart@yaho.com.  One Love
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:48pm On Jan 25, 2011
God bless you Otitolowaju for giving a better analysis of the issue.

We believe God for divine placement soonest.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by otilowaju(f): 2:21pm On Jan 25, 2011
Amin o undecided
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ninapha(f): 4:52pm On Mar 11, 2011
Like mypeace has always said on this forum, its all dependent on the structure and size of the company youa re working in. Yes there are always there is reason for that clause"and any other duty as assigned by my boss" Sometimes its could be so annoying but the beauty of it is that we are all moving higher.

@otilowaju: In the case of performing multi functions, all you need to do is delegate, monitor and inspire. Before the meeting time, make arrangement with the food vendour, delegate a staff to get the but be on the phone 24/7 to make sure u are in control. dont rely on the staff to make arrangements for u, sometimes its difficult as well dont get ur timing wrong. the food should be ready, the tea and everything u can go out to get must be in place so that all u would do is make calls at intervals to ascertain situational stability. I know how it feels but as a PA, u should also get rooted with event planning.

Wishing u better days in that office.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by mummy3(f): 5:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
Nobody will come and announce here that she has been sleeping with her boss. How sure are we with all this testimonies. I disagree with what you people talked about having an affair with your boss.  In this our Nigeria that your boss will ask you out and you disagree, and he will now watch you sitting comfortably to work in his office (lie lie), immediately you disagree, you'll become his enermy and he'll look for a way to throw you out of that company and get another secretary that will become his sex tool then promotions follows.

Except you are working with a real man of God that has the fear of God. Because men can be so terrible. Majority of men can frautrate ladies using job opportunites. And woman will fall due to economic of our country. You'll see some woman fying about with cars, occpuying big positions in big companies, do you think it's by that woman's power? no it's because she's decided to mingle sexually with his or boss to enable her fly very high in the company, else she'll be thrown out.

You may be telling me false stories pretending to be a righteous secretary while you are out there flying high in your company with your boss browsing you right, left and centre. Then i'll listen to your stories and decide to do what you advice me and im dying silently or may even loss my job.

Please let us not deceive ourselves.
Trust yourself, let me trust myself
We are all adult, we all know the righteous things to do according to our faith (christian or muslim)
Who no like better to come her way

Goodluck to all of you
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ericok(m): 1:22pm On Mar 12, 2011
mummy3:

Nobody will come and announce here that she has been sleeping with her boss. How sure are we with all this testimonies. I disagree with what you people talked about having an affair with your boss. In this our Nigeria that your boss will ask you out and you disagree, and he will now watch you sitting comfortably to work in his office (lie lie), immediately you disagree, you'll become his enermy and he'll look for a way to throw you out of that company and get another secretary that will become his sex tool then promotions follows.

Except you are working with a real man of God that has the fear of God. Because men can be so terrible. Majority of men can frautrate ladies using job opportunites. And woman will fall due to economic of our country. You'll see some woman fying about with cars, occpuying big positions in big companies, do you think it's by that woman's power? no it's because she's decided to mingle sexually with his or boss to enable her fly very high in the company, else she'll be thrown out.

You may be telling me false stories pretending to be a righteous secretary while you are out there flying high in your company with your boss browsing you right, left and centre. Then i'll listen to your stories and decide to do what you advice me and im dying silently or may even loss my job.

Please let us not deceive ourselves.
Trust yourself, let me trust myself
We are all adult, we all know the righteous things to do according to our faith (christian or muslim)
Who no like better to come her way

Goodluck to all of you

One thing I have discovered in life is that most people equate themselves with others. Mummy3 for the fact that you are sleeping with your boss does not mean that every other person is doing it. Secretaries are professionals who know how to handle situations diplomatically without causing frictions. This does not mean that we do not have bad eggs among them.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:45am On Mar 14, 2011
ericok:

One thing I have discovered in life is that most people equate themselves with others. Mummy3 for the fact that you are sleeping with your boss does not mean that every other person is doing it. Secretaries are professionals who know how to handle situations diplomatically without causing frictions. This does not mean that we do not have bad eggs among them.
Thank you for ur contribution. You really said my mind.
That you are doing something doesnot mean everybody is doing it. I have a good friend that married at 29yrs as a virgin! We dont have to follow multitude to do evil. Life is all about choice, you have a choice to climb the coporate lader with ur womanliness or to climb with hardwork, dedication and determination. Its all depends on you. Life is what you make out of it. If you believe that your life depends on a single boss or a company, thats up to you! Many people are looking for job and many are selecting jobs! Be the best you can, and no boss can hold you down! If it doesn't work out fine in company A, company B will be there to receive u with open arms, because of ur intellectual endowment and not because of womanly endowment. Educate urself as much as you can, then job will be running after you and not you after jobs!

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by kehnie: 4:19pm On Mar 14, 2011
Please fellow colleagues,
Whats the difference between front desk executive and front desk secretary?urgent reply will be highly appreciated.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ufobabe(f): 5:36pm On Mar 14, 2011
My peace, thanks 4 dis idea. I am new on dis job, say 3month. There is wat we call 30 days rule in my organization. In 30 days u must create something new or fine tune an existing idea. I hav changed my office arrange, acted on existing idea & there is nothing else 2 do. Last month i didnt create anything & attracted a query, dis month is almost gone. I need d full house to help me. As a secretary,what can i do? What idea do u have 4 me? Thanks
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:52am On Mar 15, 2011
kehnie:

Please fellow colleagues,
Whats the difference between front desk executive and front desk secretary?urgent reply will be highly appreciated.

The difference is in the name.

The first, u work purely as a front desk (Receptionist). The second you function as a front desk and a secretary.

ufobabe:

My peace, thanks 4 dis idea. I am new on dis job, say 3month. There is wat we call 30 days rule in my organization. In 30 days u must create something new or fine tune an existing idea. I hav changed my office arrange, acted on existing idea & there is nothing else 2 do. Last month i didnt create anything & attracted a query, dis month is almost gone. I need d full house to help me. As a secretary,what can i do? What idea do u have 4 me? Thanks

How do you handle your incoming and outgoing mails?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 11:14am On Mar 15, 2011
Whatever we make out of our profession is what we shall live by. Generalising and making reference to ladies in this forum as not being truthful is also saying that the " I do not believe anyone syndrome has overtaking you mind".

We have reputable ladies and guys in this forum, and in case anyone has done this in time past that is gone. Yes some ladies sleep around to get good job, but i can tell you lots of others who through hard work and dedication to work got better job offers.

Please do not come to the forum to accuse any of our personalty.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ufobabe(f): 5:09am On Mar 16, 2011
@ my peace. Thanks 4 dis information.
But, my boss is a female and so demanding. She gave us 30 days rule, meaning dat in one month u must create something new in ur office.i hav changed my office pattern many times. I didnt create anything and attracted a query. March is here again.
I work wit a religious firm as secretary.
I need d full house to help me with an idea.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 9:14am On Mar 16, 2011
ufobabe:

@ my peace. Thanks 4 dis information.
But, my boss is a female and so demanding. She gave us 30 days rule, meaning dat in one month u must create something new in your office.i hav changed my office pattern many times. I didnt create anything and attracted a query. March is here again.
I work wit a religious firm as secretary.
I need d full house to help me with an idea.

Are you talking of innovation in terms of physical envrionment or in terms of work processes. You talked of changing your office pattern many times, do you mean chaning the furniture settings or what?
I asked about how u handle ur incoming and out going mail, it seems very simple, but you can do it in a better way, if l know how u handle it now. However, if the 30 days rules has to do with work processes, then we need to know ur job functions, and then think of how best you have do your job in a different and better way!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by marami: 11:51am On Mar 16, 2011
Please, NL, i really need a job as a secretary, if there is any opening on this, kindly contact me on megiszo@yahoo.com. Thanks and remain blessed.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ufobabe(f): 8:34pm On Mar 16, 2011
@ my peace
i record my incoming mails first,then send them to d office administrator, then finally, get to my boss. I also take records & remarks of outcoming mails then dispose them after 3wks.
Yes! I am talking abt physical innovation. Tell me something to create pls. my boss is a perfectionist

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.