Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,227 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (81973 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:55pm On Aug 25, 2009
FunmyKemmy:

Hi My Peace,

How did you arrive at $93.

Thanks

l registered as professional member and membership at large category (read to know the meaning of different categories of membership)

Membership dues 78dollars
Registration fee 15dollars

Ojurere:

Fellow colleagues,

I have carefully read the recent trends on IAAP but am also getting the necessary information from IAAP and like MYpeace said, the payment we should try and make it straight to IAAP rather than going through anyone.

I assume IAAP should have registered members in Nigeria and they can put us all through to get registered. Anyone with better understanding we shall appreciate it.

Regards'

As he said, lets see if we come accross concrete info on DIRECT registration, b4 anybody make a move.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2009
Thanks so much mypeace.

At all,

Keep me posted if there is any vacancy for Secretary in your establishments.

Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by olugbenga4(m): 5:23am On Aug 28, 2009
Any gist about any experience again, I read the posted ones and it was really interesting, I will love to hear more, it gives one a lot of understanding and preparation.

let us keeping ourselves updating, it is good
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by gb4sure: 10:52am On Sep 02, 2009
Any body in the House, how is work and your bosses,

please always remember our motto

RESPONSIBILITY AND MAILIABILITY

it is well
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:02am On Sep 02, 2009
amen, amen and amen.

@ all,

Have a GREAT day.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:32pm On Sep 02, 2009
gb4sure:

Any body in the House, how is work and your bosses,

please always remember our motto

RESPONSIBILITY AND MAILIABILITY

it is well

hahaha, which one be MAILIABILITY grin
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:39pm On Sep 02, 2009
at All,

l want to a career in Human Resources.  Does anybody have idea in CIPM - Chartered Institute of Personnel Management.   How to go about writing their qualification exams?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2009
It all depends on your qualification
For graduates the Stages - Intermedate 1-PE 11
If your course is not related to HR, you will be advised to start from
INT 1
But if it you will be Exempted from INT 1 then You start from INT 11
If you ve got Masters Degree, you will be exempted from INT1 and 11
The exam is twice in one year, Feb and Aug diets
Visit their website for more details
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:57am On Sep 07, 2009
Chy thx.  Are u doing it, or have u done it?   l hv gone thru their site  and even called one of the tutorial centres on the website.  have printed the form, my problem now is my Transcript, going to ogun state wont be that easy for me. Tutorials start in October.  l read Business Education, and l did a handful of HR courses, l believe l will get exemption, if am able to get my transcript.

Thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:26am On Sep 07, 2009
l have gone thru the site again and called another tutorial centre, was told the transcript is not compulsory.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 10:39am On Sep 09, 2009
Yes i am
Am in the final stage

Cheers
Please mypeace am looking for job my coy is about
relocating out of lagos
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:01pm On Sep 09, 2009
Thx.

Pls how long did it take you to be at the final stage? And are u encouraging me to go for it?

l will be on the lookout for u as par job.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 2:10pm On Sep 10, 2009
Chy,

who signed the Sponsor Columns for you?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by imiofeh(f): 2:15pm On Sep 10, 2009
My peace!

That is a good piece for you, As secretaries we are image makers and as such we are expected to be discret,cautious and hype-sensitive to everything and anything around us cos that's part of our training, thumb up, i appreciate u alot
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 3:49pm On Sep 10, 2009
Unh, Unh
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 10:52am On Sep 11, 2009
U can finish it in 3yrs or 2
That is if u are lucky to scale through each diet
without reference
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2009
at All,

l need serious career advice.

As posted earlier, l have a desire for a career change to Personnel. l work as Sec/Admin Exec in my office with good pay, and dont have the mind of job change for now. My boss just called me that he wants me to also function as IT support staff. l must confess apart from the normal IT skill of a Secretary, l dont know any other thing.

Do you guys advice me to still pursue the career in personnel, or start an IT training to help me function well in the new job? What area of IT do l go for training to really work well as an IT support staff of a company. l am just confused.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by obijack: 11:07am On Sep 14, 2009
Hello MyPeace,

I have read with great interest how u've turned the thread into something to talk about.

When u talk of good pay in your present job, i advice u give a range of what ur pay (not the exact amount ). This will help in whatever advice u want.

For me, I have been following the thread with great interest. I work as PA in a firm that provides logistics services. My pay is a a little over N600,000 per annum. I am very good in IT but have recently had very serious thought for the future. I am in my mid 30s, married with a family to fend for. About a month ago I applied for Registration with CIPM though I have not gotten a reply from them yet. What informed my choice of CIPM against CIBN which has always been what I wanted was that I can always start my own HR consultancy when the need to work on my own arises. This is because if I were to be a professional Banker, I believe there will come a time when I will become too old to work there (that is if I am not already too old)

My advise, go for the HR thing because IT is too wide and very competitive apart from basic computer knowledge which every one has.

HR is like LAW in which u can either work for someone or u start ur own no matter how small u want to start.

Blessing to u all.

Have a lovely working week.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by chy(f): 11:20am On Sep 14, 2009
Yeah My Peace Go for HR Course
Going through your career trend, it means that your admin inclined
Maybe you can just go for training for the IT skills for that Position but
CIPMN would help you in future
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:14pm On Sep 14, 2009
Thank you my good people. l will go for the HR. Still about to submit the form, a member of this forum promised to help me out with the signing of the Sponsor Column of the form, thats what is delaying my application.

@obijack

If they answer you, kindly get in touch with me. Maybe we will arrange to attend same tutorial centre. As par the pay, my coy is really trying maybe because of the industry.

@Chy
Thanks for all ur input.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 9:50am On Sep 15, 2009
Mypeace and the good PA's in the room, i salute you all.

I would like to express my opinion in respect to to CIPM and other professional certifications. I feel we should have it behind our minds where we intend to end our careers and what we would like to do at the end of our retirements. I strongly feel that we need to communicate on these issues and other before we take the next step.

Mypeace i salute your courage to have thrown it open to everyone to advise you on the way to go. I must say you have no other reason than to succeed in this your new responsibilities.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 10:23am On Sep 15, 2009
@ MyPeace,

Going for the HR course is the best.

May God continue to order the steps of His people amen.

@ all,

I would like to go for my Post graduate studies. I need ideas/suggestions from good people of this forum especially those who have been there and done that. I have HND (Secretarial Studies). Mail to ayokemi2003@yahoo.com.

Thank you.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:02am On Sep 16, 2009
FunmyKemmy:

I would like to go for my Post graduate studies. I need ideas/suggestions from good people of this forum especially those who have been there and done that. I have HND (Secretarial Studies). Mail to ayokemi2003@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

What area of study do u want ur Pgd? l usually like professional courses instead of following the crowd. l have not been there anyway, but applied for Masters with Unilag in 2008, but didnt get admission.

l wish u all the best!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:52am On Sep 16, 2009
MyPeace,

Thanks for your prompt response. I feel Administration/Management courses would do.

As touching professional courses, my interest lies in ICSAN but like I wrote earlier, I will welcome suggestions/ideas from willing people. A member of this forum has informed me about CBAN and IAAP personally.

Thanks so much.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2009
l see Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Nigeria (ICSAN) as more of COMPANY SECRETARY stuff than ADMIN SECRETARY.  For me, it favours lawyers than admin secretary like us (personal opinion), however, admin secretaries are doing it.  The CBAN, u wan become banker?  lf you are in the industry thats good.  For the IAAP that should be for every one of us, may not likely create another niche for us, but consolidate our existing profession.

Your proposed course of study is cool,  But there is this charterd Institute of Administrators of Nigeria school at Badagry, Lagos.  Incase u want to become a chartered administrator, combined with your Pgd in your proposed course of study, that will be sellable in the labor market.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:16pm On Sep 16, 2009
@ MyPeace

I appreciate you. What is the CIAN about pls?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 1:28pm On Sep 16, 2009
Sorry l made a mistake in the name its Chartered Institute of Administration (CIA) to became a Chartered Administrator

l search for it and got this https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-73830.0.html click and read more about it
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 2:19pm On Sep 16, 2009
Thanks again
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by ChichiAda: 2:52pm On Sep 18, 2009
My peace

you truly a God sent. I was promoted to be my MD's PA at 5th January, 2009 this year. since this upliftment i have been facing a lot of challenges;

1. i don't know if the PA's job is related to Administrative Work. I will be the one to called those supplying the company water,,,,,i will still be the one to call the korea express for mail delivery, please advice me on this

2. Does PA serve tea every morning to an AGM,, i expect him to get his own coffee and if need be get his own mug for tea every morning but for me not to be looked as a disobedience person i will have to boil hot water for him and give it to him to make his coffee. Any day i took permission from my MD to go for my registration in school and i did not resume on time in the office it a questiona dn answer from this AGM of our in coy, pls advice

3. when there is no tissue in the toilet and the kitchen is untidy by those who finish eating and did not wash their plates, my name will be the first thing that will be pronouced from my colleages even my AGMs, please advice

4. I want to know when the PA is suppose to prepare coffee for MD's meeting (i.e when he has an eternal visitors) or the PA is to prepare meeting any time any body is having a meeting pls advice,

I was forced to tell my MD that i am been treated as an office assistance and which is not suppose to be. please my peace i believe you will be the right person that will tell me what to do and my next step in the career of mine, to add to this am an undergraduate student studying Accounting am happy working in an organisation that is showing another part of experienc in life i mean- being an up coming accountant, an experience computer operator with the following Microsoft ware, Access control, Excel and Powerpoint.

my peace i wish i can continue telling you this but please tell me wat to do because i will resign and stay at home for a while( but not with an empty head) and come back with the great blessing of God!!!!!

God bless you,
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:18pm On Sep 18, 2009
ChichiAda welcome to the forum

Wow!!! the job functions they subject you to seem really like that of an ice assistant as u said.

1. Yes the work of a PA is purely administrative in nature. In a very small office, you may work as an office assistant, front desk, secretary/PA (as seems in ur case). In a very organised office, they supposed to have an office assistant, departmental secretaries. Seems u are the only administative assistant they have in the office. If your coy doesnt have office assistant request for one.

2. In an organised office, he supposed to have a department secretary or an office assistant, who should be responsible for that. But in the absence of that, you just have to do it for the sake of the job. Get a water flasks, everying morning boil water and put there, he can use without distubing u.

3. This is purely office assistant job. They should get one, they cant call u PA still have u do that. lf u have office assisant, hè/she will report to you, so u still answer query if she fails to do the right thing.

4. lf the meeting in ur office, its ur duty to get the tea ready. You can delegate ur office assisant to do that.

Pls dont quit ur job, winners dont quit and quitters dont win. As u said, u are still an undergraduate, you are there to gather experience, after ur education, l beleive u will get a job that will place u where u rightly belong.

Make urself happy and enjoy ur job the best u can, afterall doing those things, does not take anything from you!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 10:14am On Sep 23, 2009
Hi all,

I need urgent information about Institute of Chartered Economists of Nigeria.  How relevant is it to Secretarial line? 

Thanks.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by olugbenga4(m): 2:10pm On Sep 28, 2009
Great Secretary/PA

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (26) (Reply)

Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.