Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland - Career (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland (82015 Views)

24 Federal Permanent Secretaries For Sack - TheEagleOnline / Why Do Most Female Secretaries Sleep With Their Bosses? / Icsan - Institute Of Chartered Secretaries And Administrators. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:18pm On Apr 15, 2010
Ojurere:

MYPEACE Congrat, we are very proud of you.

Everyone i got a new job as the PA/ Office Manager of a Manufacturing Company also and the role is very challenging, I give God the praise.

Congrats!! lts amazing that God visits his own, even in this time of job losses!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Bati2001: 5:03pm On Apr 20, 2010
The Administrator(s) Nairaland,

Gentle men or should i say man, am a regular contributor to the Sec/ PA forum my username is Ojurere. I posted some vacancies today 20th April 2010 and the next notice i got was that i could no longer post anything on Nairaland.

Personally i feel very disappointed with the whole thing because, i saw it as an opportunity to help someone or to help change someone's status. i shall appreciate it if i can be unban
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:56am On Apr 21, 2010
Maybe they felt you posted on the wrong section.  But thats bad, l hope they unban you, lts really bad!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 10:29am On Apr 23, 2010
Thank you Mr. Seun and the good people of Nairaland for unbaning me and for allowing me to be able to retain my posting rights.

Mypeace you are indeed a precious gem
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 11:52am On Apr 23, 2010
It is good to be UNBANNED. Congrats to you BATI. grin
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Ojurere(m): 7:55am On Apr 24, 2010
Thanks Fummy BATI2001 is still (Ojurere) and no matter what they do i would still be in this forum becos we are here to help our selves and to improve on our present jobs.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 10:27am On Apr 29, 2010
Thank God you are back!! : kiss
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by davidobire(m): 4:38pm On May 25, 2010
Hi guys. I am very happy that there exists a forum like this for the like minds. I just became aware of the forum some minutes ago.

I work in a law firm as a Secretary/PA to one of the Partners where I started as a Trainee Legal Secretary and move through the ladder. In total, I have put in 8 years in the chambers. Presently, I am pursuing a B.Sc. Bus. Admin (400L) at UNILAG. I am also Affiliate members of Chartered Management Institute, U.K and Global Association of Risk Professionals.

Once more, I am glad to be part of this forum.

Cheers.

God is able.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Angelmart(f): 7:47am On May 26, 2010
Ojurere thank God you are back and congrats to your new position.

OUR PEACE congrats, as it please God to lift high may he be praise as he continue to protect you and give you the desire wisdom.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by PRD(m): 11:23pm On Jun 04, 2010
Lets be clear, I am not a secretary or a personal assistant.
I am considering employing the service of a PA especially as I commence a new venture in the agricultural sector.

Can anyone give me an estimate salary for a PA.
Based on:
Entry level:
Experience 1 - 3yrs
Experience 3 - 5yrs

I would appreciate your response

Thanks
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by cleversecj: 3:37pm On Jun 18, 2010
PRD,

If you need a PA the first thing you consider is the experience as you have rightly done, also to put in consideration is the qualification, the location of your business as well.

A secretary with a good qualification like OND/NCE,HND,B.SC with 3-5 experience will be earning about N40,000-N70,000 PM it all depends on persons begaining ability also but if not you can get an OND/NCE for N40-N50,000.

But if your organisation can pay higher than this don't deny yourself the opportunity to put a smile on somebodies face so that you get the best for you new venture. Bless you
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 1:55pm On Jun 23, 2010
long time!!!   another thread is taking my time!

PRD:

Lets be clear, I am not a secretary or a personal assistant.
I am considering employing the service of a PA especially as I commence a new venture in the agricultural sector.

Can anyone give me an estimate salary for a PA.
Based on:
Entry level:
Experience 1 - 3yrs
Experience 3 - 5yrs

I would appreciate your response

Thanks

l think the national minimum wage law says N7,500.  There is no specific amount  attached to any position in the private sector as long as its above the minimum wage and the applicants accepts to collect it, then no wahala.  lt all depends on what you can aford to pay.  Again, salary differs from industry to industry.  What a secretary/PA collects in an oil industry will surely be different from Banking industry and this your Agric industry.
As l said there is no generic salary structure.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by beau1(f): 10:03am On Jun 25, 2010
l think the national minimum wage law says N7,500.
MyPeace:

long time!!! another thread is taking my time!

l think the national minimum wage law says N7,500. There is no specific amount attached to any position in the private sector as long as its above the minimum wage and the applicants accepts to collect it, then no wahala. lt all depends on what you can aford to pay. Again, salary differs from industry to industry. What a secretary/PA collects in an oil industry will surely be different from Banking industry and this your Agric industry.

Hello here, this minimum wage you are referring to is only applicable in the public sector (not private) where the workers enjoy some other privileges that are not available in the private sector. Besides, public workers everywhere are crying for wage review/increase; so I dont see why anybody should use N7,500 now.

I think what prd wants is for you guys in the private sector to give idea of remunerations in your offices depending on the years of experience pple have. Knowing fully well that entry level pay of N25,000 in 2006 is not applicable now in 2010.

Generally, I think prd should think of the economic situation and offer something that will encourage whoever gets the job at the end of the day as such will boost morale and in turn encourage productivity and better turnover.

Cheers all!
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by cleversecj: 3:05pm On Jun 25, 2010
[quote author=MyPeace link=topic=30720.msg6268292#msg6268292 date=1277297758]
long time!!!   another thread is taking my time!

l think the national minimum wage law says N7,500.  There is no specific amount  attached to any position in the private sector as long as its above the minimum wage and the applicants accepts to collect it, then no wahala.  lt all depends on what you can aford to pay.  Again, salary differs from industry to industry.  What a secretary/PA collects in an oil industry will surely be different from Banking industry and this your Agric industry.
[quote][/quote]

Just as beau1 has rightly said, are you suggesting a secretary be  paid N7,500 simply because the minimum wage is N7,500. My dear in organisations now (private sector) cleaners receive nothing less than N25,000 in my office and remember cleaners are unskilled workers not to talk of a secretary who is a skilled worker. The secretary we are talking here is not a casual worker but a full permanent staff.

I have worked  in the HR department close to six years and i made my sugestion from experience, there is no standard organisation that does not have a salary structure and so the salary of a secretary can also be determined from there, lets stop seeing our field as a common field , we are not beggers, if the secretary is not well paid before you know what is happening he/she will start attending interviews within six months she has gotten a better place and this is not good enough for any organisation especially a new one.

PRD, You might even be lucky to get somebody who is well experienced in the field but may not ask up to that amount. Pay your secretary well if you want the best hand.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 12:32pm On Jun 28, 2010
my people

l understand your points and l support them.   l dont even expect anybody to collect 40k in lagos for instance.  When you factor in transport, feeding, you will end up working for free.  lf he wants to pay 7,500, thats fine,thats if he finds somebody to collect that.  lf we concretely say 40k, it seems thats the generic salary structure for secretary.  He shd pay whatever he feels like (as long as theres no regulatory body for salary).  Whatever he pays, will be a function of the quality of person and work he gets.  ln my office a cleaner earns 41,750 gross salary per month, so why shd Sec earn 7,500 or 40K
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by cleversecj: 11:01am On Jun 29, 2010
My peace,

I appreciate your contribution, thank God we were able to drag you from the HR tread that is taking most of your time now but all the same you are doing well.

I have little challenge in my new place of work as a secretary to the MD, I don't have much to do, the only thing i can say I've done since I assume duty here is to make tea and type on one or two occassion. Even when he travelled when i joined the organisation, he never told me and i felt bad.

Please, should i always ask my boss what he wants me to do?

Secondly, he is always attending meetings outside the organisation should i ask him to allow me access to his dairy?

I know is too early to start complaining but the earlier the better.

House Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!am bored it's already one month.

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 11:51am On Jun 29, 2010
@cleversecj

Abeg cool down for Jesus grin. You are just one month there, he is studing you, calm down, when he gets used to you, he will unfold. l have worked with a boss, who will lock his office and go out with the key, until he got used to me.  However, if you can have access to the former Secretary, she/he will be in a better position to give u some winning tips to manage him.  Nevertheless, he could be among the secretive ones, which means u do what you see to do, and forget those he doesnt want to let out. With the hi-tech phones we have now, some bosses manage their dairies themselves.

In this new era, those TRADITIONAL secretarial roles have phased out, every employee is now a potential secretary, in my office for instance, we dont have any Secretary.  So,  instead of asking him what to do (it will look as if you are redundant) whenever he is too busy to attend a meeting/function, ask if you could attend on his behalf, not every meeting ooo, the ones you know that you could actually represent him, or if he is busy to attend to his client, offer to attend to them and give him feedback.  Or there a letter/report that needs to be written, ask to do a draft for him. lf there is a vacant Admin role, since u are less busy, tell them you will be glad to fill up the gap before they get a replacement.  Before you know it, he will build confidence in you, and you will come back here compaining of work overload grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by cleversecj: 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2010
mypeace,

[tt]whenever he is too busy to attend a meeting/function, ask if you could attend on his behalf, not every meeting ooo, the ones you know that you could actually represent him, or if he is busy to attend to his client, offer to attend to them and give him feedback. Or there a letter/report that needs to be written, ask to do a draft for him. lf there is a vacant Admin role, since u are less busy, tell them you will be glad to fill up the gap before they get a replacement. Before you know it, he will build confidence in you, and you will come back here compaining of work overload.
[/tt]

Thanks, really my boss is a very nice person is just that am not use to sitting idle maybe because am so use to the HR job kind of.

But i will want you to assist me since am still very new in this secretary to the MD stuff.

How will i know there are reports to write should i ask?
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by cleversecj: 2:50pm On Jun 29, 2010
mypeace,

[/code][tt]whenever he is too busy to attend a meeting/function, ask if you could attend on his behalf, not every meeting ooo, the ones you know that you could actually represent him, or if he is busy to attend to his client, offer to attend to them and give him feedback.  Or there a letter/report that needs to be written, ask to do a draft for him. lf there is a vacant Admin role, since u are less busy, tell them you will be glad to fill up the gap before they get a replacement.  Before you know it, he will build confidence in you, and you will come back here compaining of work overload.

[code]

[/tt]
Thanks, really my boss is a very nice person is just that am not use to sitting idle maybe because am so use to the HR job kind of.

But i will want you to assist me since am still very new in this secretary to the MD stuff.

How will i know there are reports to write should i ask?

Moreso, am always seen reading my books in the office because i have my exams  (CIPMN) to write in August. Is this safe though he doesn't complain and if i don't read in the office, is not always easy reading at home with children and  reading at midnight is not always easy too.

Please contributions.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 4:27pm On Jun 29, 2010
l know you receive letters on his behalf, as his secretary you are supposed to open the letters except ones marked confidential, or addressed personally to him.   From there you shd know letter that needs to be replied, or some acquiries that need to be answered.  When u get such docs that need attention, show it to him and request to make a draft for him.

Me oo, l read in my office too, l am also writing the august diet, which level are u writting? Mine is PE1.  But some offices frown at it ooo, if na me as a new person, l wont read when pple will see me, until you master the envrionment better.

do you have the contact of his last secretary? if yes call her for tips, she will know the man better than you, l usually do this.  But if you are comfortable meeting him face to face, you could  arrange for meeting, and  tell him, you wish to be busier than u are now.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Recruitoo: 4:15pm On Jun 30, 2010
@Mypeace, this is actually my first post on this thread and i would soon be gone, lol. I would like to ask you a number of questions and i am people shy(Dont mind me), is there a way i can get your personal email addy? By the way where are you receiving your lectures,  i am writing PE2 exams but reading at home, and pls dont be scared, i am also an HR professional.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 9:22am On Jul 01, 2010
@Recruit_oo
pls put your email addy l will get back to you immediately.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by Recruitoo: 2:34pm On Jul 01, 2010
@Mypeace, i am very sorry for asking you to disclose your private email in a public forum like this. My email addy is elelubo@yahoo.com.

Regards.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 3:20pm On Jul 01, 2010
l have got in touch
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by PRD(m): 10:45pm On Jul 02, 2010
I really appreciate all the contributions with respect to the possible wage of a PA/Secretary.

I recently asked someone who told me to hire and pay someone with similar level of qualification as myself (though not the same field).

Well, the company is in the agricultural industry. We are currently into crops but intend to embark on an expansion process.
I have successful ran it on part-time thus far and feel may not be able to handle the expansion in similar fashion.
This in my opinion necesitated for the recruitment of a PA. Do you think this is a good justification?

In addition, do you think approaching HR agencies could make the process easier?
Enlighten me on reliable HR agencies to approach for the recruitment of a suitable PA.

Nice thread,
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by FunmyKemmy(f): 1:08pm On Jul 06, 2010
Hi All,

I urgently need a change of job in Ibadan, Oyo State. I have HND in Secretarial Studies with distinction. I am an Associate Member (ACE) of Institute of Chartered Economists of Nigeria (ICEN). I have five (5) years working experience as Confidential/Personal Secretary.

Anyone who can be of help should contact me through my e-mail address: ayokemi2003@yahoo.com.

Thank you for your understanding and consideration.
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by PRD(m): 7:06pm On Jul 08, 2010
SOS Call Please!!!

Coincidentally while looking for a PA, my wife who is an educationist has been invited to write a test for a PA position to the head of a leading private educational institution.

What kind of test should she be looking at? Is it just the normal verbal and quantitative reasoning? Is there a brand name kind of test she could try online?
The test is tomorrow morning so, you quickest view will be appreciated.

Regards
Re: Secretaries (Or Personal Assistants) On Nairaland by MyPeace(f): 8:14am On Jul 09, 2010
PRD:

SOS Call Please!!!

Coincidentally while looking for a PA, my wife who is an educationist has been invited to write a test for a PA position to the head of a leading private educational institution.

What kind of test should she be looking at? Is it just the normal verbal and quantitative reasoning? Is there a brand name kind of test she could try online?
The test is tomorrow morning so, you quickest view will be appreciated.

Regards

l have written test on Gmat questions followed by verbal interview
l have also written test on office management and organisational behaviour questions, followed by interview
l dont think there is a unique test for PAs, and l am not aware of any online test.

She should know who a PA is. The duties and qualities of a PA. Most of oral interviews come in a case study. She would be asked what she would do under such condition. The first pages of this forum will be of a little help to her. wishing her all the best!

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (26) (Reply)

Salary Ranges Of University Lecturers In Nigeria? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria / Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.