Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,610 members, 7,813,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (34962 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 8:41pm On May 08, 2016
grin grin
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 8:42pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

The federal character policy was introduced to unite the country which is an heterogeneous one but the federal character failed to unite us and that is why we always see eachother as different even after amalgamation

You haven't gotten the point, have you? Federal Character has not been fully implemented in Nigeria because the government can choose to forgo it based on its non-justiciability nature. If the non-justiciability nature is removed, if the government fail to implement such, they will be sued. Equal representation will be used in Nigeria if it is made justiciable. Nigeria has not practiced Federal Character as it is supposed. Federal Character as practiced in Nigeria is on the paper because of its non-justiciability nature.

Can a car work without engine ? Federal Character is the car, Justiciability nature is the engine
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 8:43pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

Open to section 6(6C) of the 1999 constitution, you will see that it is made non-justiciable. The government cannot be sued if he fails to use it.

Good! That makes the policy irrelevant. If the government didn't make use of this policy, there is nothing any one can do about it. Which implies that a president can just wake up one day and fill all the agencies with people from his region, sabotaging the other regions.

What are we then say here my friend?

Can't we just neglect this policy since no one can castigate the government for appointing from any region he so desire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 8:43pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

Is there any part in the federal character that says we should sabotage ethnic and religious diversity, even when we have someone who is more competent than the appointed person in the other region, that is not yet their turn to fill the post?

It remains a fact that federal character lay more emphasis on ethnic and religion diversity than merit.
Is there any region of Nigeria that has a monopoly of the stated standards and benchmarks used alongside the federal character?
How would you feel if only Igbos are the one controlling the military?
Do you the dangers of a single ethnic group controlling government and security structures of a country with a very diverse and agitated ehnic composition as Nigeria?
Remember the Rwanda genocide?
Remember the Sudan civil war?
Concentration of state structures in one ethnic group was the major reason the above wars happened.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by graciousolo(m): 8:43pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:
FEDERAL CHARACTER SHOULD MATTER IN PUBLIC OFFICES APPOINTMENT.
Omirin Emmanuel (Emaculate Ife)

Position: Support

School: OAU

For a Federation that was coerced together, lack of equal representation of the federating units is the greatest threat to the national integration of such country. This bores down to the 1914 mistake when Nigeria was coerced together without any recourse to the people's feeling. Instead of breaking up, national integration was chosen. In a bid to maintain the national integration and development, the government was faced with two options federal character: a principle of equal representation of the federating units or meritocracy: a principle that cares not for the equal representation of the federating units. If lack of equal representation is the greatest threat to national integration of a coerced country, then which out of federal character and meritocracy is a threat?

Constitutionally, appointment into public offices is expected to reflect federal character in order to aid integration. Sadly, this provision was made non-justiciable, that is, the government can forgo federal character while appointing without facing the wrath of law. Its non-justiciability has brought feelings of marginalisation in the face of visible dominance of office by some regions. This feeling has been known to have fuel protests and the fight for emancipation of the aggrieved region. If care is not taken, national insecurity and division will set in. In a bid to stop this callous consequence, federal character should be made justiciable.

Naturally, no sane person can work efficiently in an unfriendly environment. A product of marginalisation is protest. Most times, protesters prevent workers from going to their place of work thereby slowing down the productivity of the workers which in turn affect the nation's economy negatively. There might be a change of event, they might go violent by vandalising properties. But will there be any development if workers are prevented from working or properties are being vandalised? For the sake of the economy and development, federal character should be considered.

Moreover, anyone conversant with the world will note that federal character is not alien. It is the quota based form of affirmative action that is given full force of law in UK, US, India, Canada, South Africa among others. The love the government of these countries have for their people necessitated their choice of not sacrificing integration on the altar of meritocracy. If these countries practice affirmative action for the purpose of integration, why then should Federal Character not matter in appointments?

On the 5th day of May, 2016, Mr drtwist, a south-southerner, took to Nairaland to explain how being from the richest region in the country had not helped him secure a place in the military after years of "searching" while his "brothers" from the north were easily recruited - feeling neglected. This was how Niger Delta Militancy started. It comprised of young men in the region who were dissatisfied with their inability to find jobs, destruction of their lands and rivers (which served as means of survival) without any intervention from the government. Suffering and poverty became the order of the day. If care is not taken, Mr Drtwist and the rest, can be turned into readymade tools in the hands of the Niger Delta militants.

Analogically, democracy is a government based on majority's wish and not merit. Just like democracy, Federal Character is based on the wish of not being marginalised. Wish of the people is a driver for the two concepts. It is apparent that people's wish is given great esteem in the world. If that is not the case, aristocracy should have been more popular than democracy since it gives room for the best to rule. Federal Character is our democracy, it should matter in our appointment.

Legally, the safety of the people is the supreme law; all good laws must guarantee the safety of the people directly or by implication. In a country like Nigeria where protest which might lead to chaos can spring out at the slightest scent of marginalisation like the Biafra agitation which is fuelled by their feelings of being marginalised. Which law do you think will guaranty the safety of the people more when implemented? Meritocracy that will allow marginalisation of some regions or federal character that will give no room for marginalisation? You choose!

My Daddy is a man that stands between chaos and the citizens. Each day, he cheats death and listen to the music played by gunshots on the battlefield because he wants to protect the country. He sees his friends being killed beside him but he keeps praying for God's protection as he fights for the country's unity. If you were my Daddy, would you rather choose to protest a law that will protect the country's unity which your teammates died for? I believe you would go for that which will protect the country's unity.

Meritocracy might be good but Nigeria is not yet ripe for it. Nigeria will be ripe for it when fear of marginalisation and domination is removed. She can also be ripe for it if this forced marriage is broken into pieces and ethnicity becomes a thing of the past. Till then, Nigeria should make Federal Character matter in appointments into public offices.

REFRENCE:

Biafra agitation: a bedrock to protest injustice, marginalisation.
www.elombah.com/index.php/opinion/3679-biafra-agitation-a-bedrock-to-protest-injustice-marginalisation

Southeast one of the Richest Region After Southsouth NBS report 2016- evidence
www.nairaland.com/3088004/southeast-one-richest-region-after#45339723

1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2011 as amended.

Federal Character And Quota System in Nigeria A Good Public Policy
http://www.gamji.com/article8000/NEWS8640.htm

I am not sure you wrote that with thorough consideration. Could you please tell me the correlation of that with federal character?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
My brother this is about public office appointment and not universities admission.
You are trying to play on the emotions of the Judges.
This is off topic and not relevant to issues here.

It will sound myopic and incomplete to defined Federal character like that. It encompasses four things which are admission, promotion, appointments and recruitment. If you think that way, then, beyond doubt, you don't have good picture and appreciation of Federal character. I will subject you to do more investigation on this topic at hand.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 8:46pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

I am not sure you wrote that without any influence of inebriation. Could you please tell me the correlation of that with Federal character? It's seem you are out of words or words are definitely out of you.

First of all, this is an intellectual debate, we need to be mindful of our language and respect one another.

If Federal Character is not used, regions will not have equal representation and they will be marginalised. Marginalisation brings fight for the emancipation of a particular region which leads to protest and vandalism when it reaches its peak. Have you gotten my point now?
graciousolo:

I am not sure you wrote that with thorough consideration. Could you please tell me the correlation of that with federal character?
Neyoor:

I am not sure you wrote that without any influence of inebriation. Could you please tell me the correlation of that with Federal character? It's seem you are out of words or words are definitely out of you.

First of all, this is an intellectual debate, we need to be mindful of our language and respect one another.

If Federal Character is not used, regions will not have equal representation and they will be marginalised. Marginalisation brings fight for the emancipation of a particular region which leads to protest and vandalism when it reaches its peak. Have you gotten my point now?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 8:47pm On May 08, 2016
We are ending the Rebuttals stage by

9pm. (Take note. Neyoor, graciousolo, OAUTemitayo, Emaculate99)

While
Judges post questions to debaters either on what the debater has posited or revolving around the debate topic starting from 9pm. Judges please take note.

Obinoscopy
Caracta
Ishilove
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 8:50pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

It will sound myopic and incomplete to defined Federal character like that. It encompasses four things which are admission, promotion, appointments and recruitment. If you think that way, then, beyond doubt, you don't have good picture and appreciation of Federal character. I will subject you to do more investigation on this topic at hand.
The topic says "Should Federal Character matter in the appointment of people into public offices and not universities!
Stop digressing from the basic foundation of the topic.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 8:51pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

Good! That makes the policy irrelevant. If the government didn't make use of this policy, there is nothing any one can do about it. Which implies that a president can just wake up one day and fill all the agencies with people from his region, sabotaging the other regions.

What are we then say here my friend?

Can't we just neglect this policy since no one can castigate the government for appointing from any region he so desire.

If that is the case, then meritocracy will be more irrelevant as it is not mentioned in our constitution at all in terms of appointment. For the fact that Federal Character could enter into our constitution means that its importance is recognised than meritocracy.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by graciousolo(m): 8:51pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Is there any region of Nigeria that has a monopoly of the stated standards and benchmarks used alongside the federal character?
How would you feel if only Igbos are the one controlling the military?
Do you the dangers of a single ethnic group controlling government and security structures of a country with a very diverse and agitated ehnic composition as Nigeria?
Remember the Rwanda genocide?
Remember the Sudan civil war?
Concentration of state structures in one ethnic group was the major reason the above wars happened.
What if the Igbos are the most skilled and qualified for that position? Are you saying merit shouldn't matter?

If we have the progress of the country at heart then we will make progressive policies that will drive growth and positive competition.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 8:53pm On May 08, 2016
8 mins to the end of rebuttals.

undecided

Neyoor
Graciousolo
OAUTemitayo
Emaculate99
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

Is marginalisation hapenning in Nigeria or not? YES.

I will tell you this.
We have three main tribes in Nigeria just as they have in Bosnia

"
According to 2012 United States factsheet, Nigeria
has 250 ethnic groups. The most populous and
politically influential include: Hausa and Fulani 29%,
Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%,
Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%"

Bosnia and Herzegovina is home to three ethnic
"constituent peoples": Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats.
Ethnically, according to data from 2000 cited by the
Central Intelligence Agency, Bosniaks constitute 48% of the population, Serbs 37.1%, Croats 14.3%, and others form 0.6%.

In Bosnia

House of People (Senate) With 15 Seats
Bosniaks: 5 Seats
Croats: 5 Seats
Serbs: 5 Seats

House of Representative With 42 Seats
Bosniaks: 14
Croats: 14
Serbs: 14

But in Nigeria, the Northerners have more representation in the National Assembly than every other tribes.

Is there now marginalisation in Nigeria or not?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 8:55pm On May 08, 2016
graciousolo:

What if the Igbos are the most skilled and qualified for that position? Are you saying merit shouldn't matter?

If we have the progress of the country at heart then we will make progressive policies that will drive growth and positive competition.
Are you joking?
Is there any tribe in Nigeria that have the monopoly of knowledge?
There are people who are qualified for all this public offices from every single tribe in Nigeria?
On what basis do you think people who don't have the same language and root are still seeing themselves as Nigerians?
The basis of equity
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Ishilove: 8:56pm On May 08, 2016
Interesting
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 8:56pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:
8 mins to the end of rebuttals.

undecided

Neyoor
Graciousolo
OAUTemitayo
Emaculate99

5mins. To go.

undecided
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 8:57pm On May 08, 2016
graciousolo:
Should Federal Character Matter In Public Offices Appointment?

Even though it was created to answer the question of our nationhood and national integration, this is one of the reasons why Nigeria's status as a nation is still debated till date. I wonder why people who should see themselves as one and, should have similar goal of improving the country are bothered with the principle of federal character even though it has been proven to be detrimental to the nation's progress and development.

Before I proceed further, I am using this opportunity to thank the organisers of this wonderful debate; it's been a long ride. Greetings to the incorruptible judges, my friends and opponents, my dogged teammates, not forgetting the amiable Nairaland audience. I am graciousolo, representing the great citadel of learning, the University of Ilorin and, I am here to state unequivocally that, “Federal character should not be considered when appointing public office holders.”

For the sake of clarity I will give an insight into what the principle of federal character is. The federal character principle became officially recognised in the 1979 constitution. This policy was aimed at addressing the issues of ethnic representation in the public sector. The implication of this was that issues of admission, recruitment, promotion and appointment became based on this principle.

I will also explain what a public office is or who a public office holder is. A public office refers to offices or parastatals under the government where services are rendered to the public. A public office holder is someone who holds a position in a government parastatal and is saddled with serving the public.

According to wikitionary, a public office is a position or occupation established by law or by the act of a government body, for the purpose of exercising the authority of the government in the service of the public. Therefore a public office holder is a person who holds this position. Should people in such positions be appointed based on anything less than merit? I don't think so.

[b]To start with, since the colonial epoch through the independence, Nigeria has sort to fashion out a socio-political mechanism or structure that will foster positive social interaction, development, curb or at least reduce minority exploitation in a pluralistic society such as hers'. The idea of federal character principle is on of such mechanism. Unfortunately, this idea has been saddled with impunity and bias.

The idea of the principle of federal character must sound nice and pleasing to the ear based on its intent but, some factors has flawed this principle especially in Nigeria of today. For instance, the inappropriate application of the federal character principle aids mediocrity, inequality, corruption, lack of transparency and/or competition and above all tribal dominance by the major ethnic groups. Federal character ordinarily protects minorities, but under the constitution it is operated to protect the majority ethnic groups, lack of will of competitiveness and open-mindedness.[/b]

In 2009, the Chairman of the Federal Character Commission (FCC), Prof. Oba AbdulRaheem, was quoted as saying, “18 states are not currently benefitting from the ‘federal character principle’ of the 1999 Constitution”. The states were described as having low representation in appointments into Federal Ministries and Agencies. According to the Prof. AbdulRaheem, each of the 36 states is expected to have about 2.5 % and 3.0% representation in appointments made by Federal Ministries and Extra-Ministerial Departments. A source from the FCC was also quoted as saying “the implication of the current irregularity is that these states may not have civil servants from their states in the hierarchy of the Federal Civil Service in the next few years”.

Furthermore, this principle is supposed to foster equal public office appointments across the ethnic groups but, this is obviously not the case in Nigeria. For instance, as at 2014 about 70% of Nigeria Foot-soldiers were from Hausa-Fulani. About 80% of all Permanent Secretaries in Federal Ministries were from Hausa-Fulani. About 80% of those given Oil Wells presently in the Oil from Niger Delta Region were from Hausa-Fulani. About 60% of Generals in the Nigerian Military were from Hausa-Fulani. About 60% of the Heads of Parastatals were from Hausa-Fulani. About 60% of the Top Ranks in Nigerian Police Force were from Hausa-Fulani. About 70% of Nigerian State Security Services (SSS) officials were from Hausa-Fulani. About 60% Top Posts in each of: Nigerian Prison Services, Nigeria Immigration and Nigerian Ports Authority were from Hausa-Fulani. Not much has changed today. We ask ourselves questions like what has the application of federal character helped us achieve? Has it lead to further National integration? Has it proven to be an adequate tool for national development? I'll let you be the judge.

On the 25th of June 2015, the Vice President Professor Yemi Osinbajo, was reported to have called for the scrapping of the federal character principle and the Federal Character Commission established to implement it. This report was later refuted but, in refuting it, the vice president said he only urged that merit came first before any consideration of ethnic background. His reply has only helped to validate the premise that federal character might trample merit.

Conclusively, Federal character shouldn't matter in the appointment of public officers because this will lead to appointing individuals who don't have the right skill and experience and individuals who don't have the zeal for such offices. I strongly believe based on observable facts that applying federal character to appointing public office holders will definitely lead to mediocrity and merit will be forgone. This will lead to unfavourable socio-economic policies, socio-political policies and inappropriate implementation of good policies.

Once again, should federal character principle be applied when appointing public officers? No, this principle has been flawed. Merit, Passion should always be the pivotal element. Thank you.

Reference(s):
***http://m.covenantuniversity.edu.ng/Profiles/Olanrewaju-Ilemobola/Quota-System-Federal-Character-Principle-and-Admission-to-Federal-Unity-Schools-Barriers-to-Learning-in-Nigeria

***public office - Wiktionary en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/public_office
http://www.focusnigeria.com/federal-character.html

***http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/index.php/columns/friday-columns/58963-on-federal-character-i#Kc9TCR5DjcMKLArm.99

***http://chrisdonasco..co.ke/2014/02/federal-character-princinple-and-in.html?m=1

***http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/75111-what-federal-character.html

1. Federal Character was made to correct the mistake of the British who joined us together without any recourse and thereby making each group to be scared of being dominated by a particular group.

2. You only mentioned the fact that it breeds bias without mentioning how. How can a beautiful Federal Character that is made to correct the British mistake and to give everyone a sense of belonging breed bias?

3. Federal Character can only work in a country that has the law that back it up. Nigeria only operates Federal Character on paper and in not in reality. If such is the case, we won't be here debating.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 8:58pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

If that is the case, then meritocracy will be more irrelevant as it is not mentioned in our constitution at all in terms of appointment. For the fact that Federal Character could enter into our constitution means that its importance is recognised than meritocracy.

Change is constant and possible in all facet of lives, infact it is the most common thing that every tribe is endowed with.

That is why I said federal character is archaic and old fashioned. We are now in a civilized world. Merit should be the yard stick and not federal character for appointment to public offices

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by graciousolo(m): 8:58pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

The fact that something is done over time doesn't make it right. We all know that our constitution's review is long over-due. I don't believe you are trying to downplay meritocracy. Would you employ people to your firm (if you had one) based on nothing less than merit? I guess not. If you wouldn't do that, then Nigeria deserves better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 8:59pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

Is marginalisation hapenning in Nigeria or not? YES.

I will tell you this.
We have three main tribes in Nigeria just as they have in Bosnia

"
According to 2012 United States factsheet, Nigeria
has 250 ethnic groups. The most populous and
politically influential include: Hausa and Fulani 29%,
Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%,
Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%"

Bosnia and Herzegovina is home to three ethnic
"constituent peoples": Bosniaks, Serbs and Croats.
Ethnically, according to data from 2000 cited by the
Central Intelligence Agency, Bosniaks constitute 48% of the population, Serbs 37.1%, Croats 14.3%, and others form 0.6%.

In Bosnia

House of People (Senate) With 15 Seats
Bosniaks: 5 Seats
Croats: 5 Seats
Serbs: 5 Seats

House of Representative With 42 Seats
Bosniaks: 14
Croats: 14
Serbs: 14

But in Nigeria, the Northerners have more representation in the National Assembly than every other tribes.

Is there now marginalisation in Nigeria or not?

In the Nigerian house of Senate, we have 3 senators from each sate and 1 from the FCT. There is equal distribution of office if I am to follow your logic.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:01pm On May 08, 2016
[size=18pt]TIME UP [/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 9:01pm On May 08, 2016
graciousolo:

Nobody has the monopoly of knowledge.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:01pm On May 08, 2016
Judges any question? If yes kindly drop them.

Ishilove
Obinoscopy
Caracta
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 9:02pm On May 08, 2016
graciousolo:

The fact that something is done over time doesn't make it right. We all know that our constitution's review is long over-due. I don't believe you are trying to downplay meritocracy. Would you employ people to your firm (if you had one) based on nothing less than merit? I guess not. If you wouldn't do that, then Nigeria deserves better.

The fact that something enters the constitution makes it right. Yes! the constitution needs review and one of the things that needs review is the removal of the non-justiciability clause in section 6(6c) of the constitution.

The fact that it is a provision in the constitution makes it supreme. Going by section 1(3) of the 1999 constitution. "When any of the provision of this constitution is in conflict with any law (principle or opinion) this provision shall prevail and such law will by the extent of its inconsistency be null and void." The principle of Federal Character is supreme compared to meritocracy.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 9:03pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

In the Nigerian house of Senate, we have 3 senators from each sate and 1 from the FCT. There is equal distribution of office if I am to follow your logic.

That is far from equal distribution my brother.

We have three main tribes, our states and representatives at the NASS should be balanced if we are not practising a system of government that favours one tribe than the other. Should I tell you the no of representatives every tribes is having at the NASS? Perhaps, you would be aware of the inequality and gross marginalisation
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by graciousolo(m): 9:04pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

1. Federal Character was made to correct the mistake of the British who joined us together without any recourse and thereby making each group to be scared of being dominated by a particular group.

2. You only mentioned the fact that it breeds bias without mentioning how. How can a beautiful Federal Character that is made to correct the British mistake and to give everyone a sense of belonging breed bias?

3. Federal Character can only work in a country that has the law that back it up. Nigeria only operates Federal Character on paper and in not in reality. If such is the case, we won't be here debating.

Yes, our inability to effectively practice it is the main reason we should stop pretending about it. Did you see my report on the amount of public offices dominated by Hausas and Yorubas?

Merit cannot be over-emphasized when it comes to progress and that where every Nigerian wants to be.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:05pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

Ishilove
Obinoscopy
Caracta

ANY QUESTIONS SIR

ANY QUESTIONS MAS
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by graciousolo(m): 9:05pm On May 08, 2016
OAUtemitayo, You are saying that Federal character rests strictly on merit? Get your fact right. Federal character is based main on region to avoid tribal domination and unequal distribution of public opportunities. And if I will tell you what is obvious, that primary focus of the principle and its commission are still prevalent.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Ishilove: 9:05pm On May 08, 2016
Fynestboi:

Ishilove
Obino.scopy
Cara.cta
None for now, sir. I'm still reading through.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 9:06pm On May 08, 2016
Ishilove:

None for now, sir. I'm still reading through.

Ooooo OK ma.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The State Of Hostels In Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo / Adu Iyanu: FUTA Student Builds 100wh Laptop Power Bank, Power Station & Lamp / Bad Things You Did In The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.