Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,618 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University (34964 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Planning Chatroom / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 11:00pm On May 08, 2016
newpundit:
OAUtemitayoand emmaculate99. Do you think the use of federal character in appointing public officers has been justified on the long run judging by the state of the nation presently??

Neyor. Don't you think the total scrap of the principle of federal character from Nigeria is too drastic a step to take right now judging by how volatile the state of the nation is?

Using Nigeria as an example is a no-no. Nigeria has not started practicing Federal Character as it is supposed because of the inability of a court to force the government to use it. Can a car work without engine? No! it cannot. In Nigeria, if Federal Character is not used, you cannot take the federal government to court on it. And that means, government can choose to forgo it. This, they have done many times without number. Nigeria's Federal Character is just like a car that has no engine because the engine is the ability to sue the government if they refuse to use it. Nigeria has not started practicing Federal Character in reality but on paper it is practicing it. That's why we are arguing for it to matter in appointments.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Mojoy88(m): 11:02pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

More emphasis is placed on ethnicity than merit. Infact, I took my time to read through the constitution and all they keep emphasizing on was that appointments should be based on the fact that it cut across every region and tribes. Perhaps, they could modify that policy in such a way that merit would be incorporated as well.
That means we can achieve equal representation of all ethnics and merit. So the Federal Character should be encouraged.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:02pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Good you agreed it should be maintained. My brother merit is also used alongside this principle.
The problem is the politicians who allocate slots to themselves in federal agencies and ministries.
They usually circumvent the law.
You know what am talking about

It is very simple, they circumvent the law because there is no strict regulation or penalty for defaulters.

Let their be strict regulation and stiff penalty for them and let's see who will dare fill our public offices with mediocres and people that are not worthy of it
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Fynestboi: 11:02pm On May 08, 2016
[size=15pt]Thank you Thank you...

We have come to the End of Nairaland interschool Debate Third edition.

Results and Winner to be announced soon.
[/size]
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 11:02pm On May 08, 2016
Tourshaw:

I think you are incorrect o. Catchment areas are areas with little or no development academically, socially and economically. So, don't limit it only to education. By the way, you didn't say anything about the quota system??
In Nigerian public employment process there is nothing called catchment area. It is based on state by state.
Well the quota system said it should be shared equally among the states.
You are a contestant.
Don't you have any question for Unilorin.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by newpundit: 11:04pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
It's is justifiable considering the tension between the ethnic groups.
It is a stabilising principle in our polity.

If it is really justifiable why then do we still have uproars from different ethnic groups claiming marginalisation even with the presence of the federal character policy in play?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 11:04pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

It is very simple, they circumvent the law because there is no strict regulation or penalty for defaulters.

Let their be strict regulation and stiff penalty for them and let's see who will dare fill our public offices with mediocres and people that are not worthy of it
Who will punish the people in power. We don't have strong institutions.
It's an unfortunate situation we found ourselves.
Only a Sovereign National Conference can solve all this.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

To be objective, I will opine that Federal Character should be in place but it needs to be laced with merit-based system. Total scrapping will deteriorate the country further and leaving it without modification will never give a positive result, as we would always end up in the shambles of incompetent public officers. My candid submission is that Federal Character should be, but a strict regulation should be put in place to enforce the government to adhere to its' implementation. However, merit should be used in line with federal character policy.
newpundit:
OAUtemitayoand emmaculate99. Do you think the use of federal character in appointing public officers has been justified on the long run judging by the state of the nation presently??
Neyor. Don't you think the total scrap of the principle of federal character from Nigeria is too drastic a step to take right now judging by how volatile the state of the nation is?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 11:06pm On May 08, 2016
newpundit:

If it is really justifiable why then do we still have uproars from different ethnic groups claiming marginalisation even with the presence of the federal character policy in play?
Because human beings are insatiable
There will always be grouses, the most important thing is that such grouses must not be genuine to the extent of destabilising the country
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 08, 2016
Mojoy88:

That means we can achieve equal representation of all ethnics and merit. So the Federal Character should be encouraged.

Merit should always come first before federal character bro!

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 11:07pm On May 08, 2016
@emaculate99,

Another problem of federal character is particular tribal domination. When a federal parastatal is led by a particular tribe, that tribe dominates the parastatal. For instance, someone from Yoruba leads a parastatal, 80% of the parastatal will be Yoruba. And this is the trend in all the federal parastatals that is once a person in one tribe is appointed to a public office, he starts recruiting his family and friends into the sysytem. As seen in one Chief Ferdinand Anikwe and among others who recruited about 40 new staff members most of whom are his friends and family members in Ezeagu LGA of Enugu state.

Tell me I'm wrong

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 11:09pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

More emphasis is placed on ethnicity than merit. Infact, I took my time to read through the constitution and all they keep emphasizing on was that appointments should be based on the fact that it cut across every region and tribes. [b{Perhaps, they could modify that policy in such a way that merit would be incorporated as well.[/b]
in a nutshell, you mean meritocracy is good and the government should include meritocracy into the principle advocating Federal Character. Then that means you agree that Federal Character should matter even while using meritocracy to appoint people into public office.

This topic is "should federal character matter in public appointments? " and with this, you have said yes, it should matter.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
Who will punish the people in power. We don't have strong institutions.
It's an unfortunate situation we found ourselves.
Only a Sovereign National Conference can solve all this.

Nobody is above the law bro. If the law restraining them is put in place, we can always deal with the violators.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by kingjibe(m): 11:10pm On May 08, 2016
About 70% of Nigeria Foot-soldiers are from Hausa-Fulani. Is that Federal Character Principle? @Oautemitayo and @emmaculate

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by newpundit: 11:11pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

Using Nigeria as an example is a no-no. Nigeria has not started practicing Federal Character as it is supposed because of the inability of a court to force the government to use it. Can a car work without engine? No! it cannot. In Nigeria, if Federal Character is not used, you cannot take the federal government to court on it. And that means, government can choose to forgo it. This, they have done many times without number. Nigeria's Federal Character is just like a car that has no engine because the engine is the ability to sue the government if they refuse to use it. Nigeria has not started practicing Federal Character in reality but on paper it is practicing it. That's why we are arguing for it to matter in appointments.

Do you think the lack of a justiciable federal character policy is in oversight on the part of the policy makers
Or things are going the way they supposed it would be?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:13pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:
in a nutshell, you mean meritocracy is good and the government should include meritocracy into the principle advocating Federal Character. Then that means you agree that Federal Character should matter even while using meritocracy to appoint people into public office.
This topic is "should federal character matter in public appointments? " and with this, you have said yes, it should matter.

So, for the fact that you said our government are not working in conformity with the federal character policy means all what you said is futile and that it shouldn't be adopted?

Don't get this wrong. It all still lies down to merit. Merit should be used first, if atall federal character would be considered aftermath.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 11:15pm On May 08, 2016
kingjibe:
About 70% of Nigeria Foot-soldiers are from Hausa-Fulani. Is that Federal Character Principle? @Oautemitayo and @emmaculate
That statistics cannot stand the test of facts. It is a mere assumption that the debater himself failed to substantiate when the judges asked him to
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 11:16pm On May 08, 2016
Tourshaw:
@emaculate99,

Another problem of federal character is particular tribal domination. When a federal parastatal is led by a particular tribe, that tribe dominates the parastatal. For instance, someone from Yoruba leads a parastatal, 80% of the parastatal will be Yoruba. And this is the trend in all the federal parastatals that is once a person in one tribe is appointed to a public office, he starts recruiting his family and friends into the sysytem. As seen in one Chief Ferdinand Anikwe and among others who recruited about 40 new staff members most of whom are his friends and family members in Ezeagu LGA of Enugu state.

Tell me I'm wrong

We are not arguing that ethnicism should matter in appointments. If we are arguing that, this would have been OK. we are saying that it should matter. What you brought up there borders around ethnicism and not Federal Character. Federal Character allows for a particular percentage for each ethnic group. If that is the case, I wonder how such situation given above could happen.

You should know that the principle is not justiciable in Nigeria as a law student. That means the government can choose to forgo it or to use it. That's why those people up there could employ people of their regions. This will then bring marginalisation. But you know if it is made justiciable, such thing cannot happen without the wrath of law. As a constitutional law student, you know that principle is placed under Chapter 2 of the constitution which is considered to be our rights that are being hidden away from us with the non-justiciability clause.
Tell me if I am wrong. You should know better.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 11:16pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
In Nigerian public employment process there is nothing called catchment area. It is based on state by state.
Well the quota system said it should be shared equally among the states.
You are a contestant.
Don't you have any question for Unilorin.

Well, I believe you have done a great deal in whetting my appetite with your replies. Asking me if I have question for Unilorin is wrong na. l direct my questions to whomever l want. I'm only part of team Unilorin not a contestants in this final. But all in all. Kudos to you Sir. I've learned a handful from the wealth of your knowledge and doggedness.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 11:17pm On May 08, 2016
kingjibe:
That is not Federal character. That is why we want Federal Character to apply in public appointments. To allow all of us have a sense of belonging.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 11:21pm On May 08, 2016
newpundit:

Do you think the lack of a justiciable federal character policy is in oversight on the part of the policy makers
Or things are going the way they supposed it would be?
We cannot really say whether that's what they want or not because we weren't there when they were drafting the constitution. But, legal luminaries and Human Rights Activists are fighting for it to matter and this is what we are fighting for.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 11:23pm On May 08, 2016
Tourshaw:

Well, I believe you have done a great deal in whetting my appetite with your replies. Asking me if I have question for Unilorin is wrong na. l direct my questions to whomever l want. I'm only part of team Unilorin not a contestants in this final. But all in all. Kudos to you Sir. I've learned a handful from the wealth of your knowledge and doggedness.
Lol. You are still a Unilorin man

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
That statistics cannot stand the test of facts. It is a mere assumption that the debater himself failed to substantiate when the judges asked him to

That is what is far from the truth. This link below already substantiate his point and make it valid.

http://m.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/14994/98631/1

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by WizPrince1(m): 11:27pm On May 08, 2016
It's really impressive... seeing youths engaging themselves in things that can change the Nation. This is cool
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by walegee(m): 11:27pm On May 08, 2016
Regardless of the results we rep BBF TEAMUNILORIN

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 11:27pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:

We are not arguing that ethnicism should matter in appointments. If we are arguing that, this would have been OK. we are saying that it should matter. What you brought up there borders around ethnicism and not Federal Character. Federal Character allows for a particular percentage for each ethnic group. If that is the case, I wonder how such situation given above could happen.

You should know that the principle is not justiciable in Nigeria as a law student. That means the government can choose to forgo it or to use it. That's why those people up there could employ people of their regions. This will then bring marginalisation. But you know if it is made justiciable, such thing cannot happen without the wrath of law. As a constitutional law student, you know that principle is placed under Chapter 2 of the constitution which is considered to be our rights that are being hidden away from us with the non-justiciability clause.
Tell me if I am wrong. You should know better.

I am finding it hard to comprehend your legal term. Is that your justiciable synonymous with justifiable? Or what? please, I'm now a law student. I'm a student of Human anatomy. Clarify that Sir
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by emaculate99: 11:28pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

So, for the fact that you said our government are not working in conformity with the federal character policy means all what you said is futile and that it shouldn't be adopted?

Don't get this wrong. It all still lies down to merit. Merit should be used first, if atall federal character would be considered aftermath.

Smiles.... we are to make them see reasons why federal character should matter in public offices and not to say they should not use it again.

saying that the government are not conforming with it means that I identified the lapse on the part of the government that needs to be corrected by making Federal Character matter so that the government will always conform with it. Talking about non conformation of the government is not a negator to my argument but the recognition of what that needs to be corrected.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:28pm On May 08, 2016
emaculate99:
Bros! Are you from Ekiti state? That your surname rings a bell.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by shollarey(m): 11:28pm On May 08, 2016
Gets up from bed suddenly, ooh i've missed. Who is the winner of final and third place?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by OAUTemitayo: 11:29pm On May 08, 2016
Neyoor:

That is what is far from the truth. This link below already substantiate his point and make it valid.

http://m.thenigerianvoice.com/thread/14994/98631/1
How can we use the words of somebody on an anonymous forum as facts?
We need you to present how the compilation if the numbers were done. State by state, how the research was conducted and by whom?
The person you referenced is an activist of the Niger Delta.
You are an academician and must not argue based on mere assumptions

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Tourshaw: 11:30pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:

grin
OAUTemitayo:

of course I am. lol. And I'm reppin the team. We can be friends afterwards you know? But not now. lol
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University by Nobody: 11:33pm On May 08, 2016
OAUTemitayo:
How can we use the words of somebody on an anonymous forum as facts?
We need you to present how the compilation if the numbers were done. State by state, how the research was conducted and by whom?
The person you referenced is an activist of the Niger Delta.
You are an academician and must not argue based on mere assumptions

So, all what you used today are mere facts that have been proved to be right?

Why then do you have references?

It's a fact and not an assumption, only if we would shy away from it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The State Of Hostels In Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo / Adu Iyanu: FUTA Student Builds 100wh Laptop Power Bank, Power Station & Lamp / Bad Things You Did In The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.