Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,957 members, 7,810,650 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) (4805 Views)

Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? / Absolutely Shocking News About the NIV Bible! All Must Know! / Shocking Discovery About NIV Bible. (a Must-read For True Believers) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 2:41pm On Aug 10, 2009
Recognise,
   I didn't want to continue off-topic on the other thread so I thought to start a new one. Can we discuss what exactly the problems are with the NIV bible compared to the KJV?

Now I have had this debate with a few others in the past and my conclusion was that the 'differences' or 'omissions' to me are not nearly enough to dismiss the NIV hence why I still continue to use it. I attribute those problems to translational or transcriptional errors or shortcomings - not necessarily a conspiracy to water down the word of God and I don't see how the NIV presents a different or manipulated gospel from the KJV.

All other christians your input is more than welcome.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 2:53pm On Aug 10, 2009
Recognise:

@JeSoul

- JeSoul

Why would anyone use the NIV and use it exclusively for that matter?

I don't use it exclusively - just mostly. I frequently use others like the NASB, NLT, KJV etc

Jay, grin am not quite sure how to gently drop this . . .

lol . . . whatever you have to say I'm sure I've heard it before, I've had this debate in the past.

What Zondervan Publishers won't DARE tell you is that they are OWNED by Harper Collins,

who also publishes The Satanic Bible and The Joy of Gay Sex. 

Doesn't it seem odd to anyone and a love for Christ that the world's largest Bible publisher (Zondervan) is owned by the same company, HarperCollins, that publishes The Satanic Bible and The Joy of Gay Sex." 

Every pastor and Christian using the NIV are supporting these demonic publications. 

Why does it matter who 'prints' the bible? The same catholic/RCC church that most of us other christians believe to be evil are the ones who 'compiled' the bible. Yet we don't reject the scriptures just because of who had their hands on it at one point do we?

For an idea of the perversions of NIV (i.e. the New International perversion) Click here

I will submit very quickly that the KJV is the BEST and most ACCURATE and PURE and UNADULTERATED of versions.

That being said, I looked at a few of the 'NIV' errors in the link and while I do see what the author is saying - they are mostly sensationalized. When you move from one version to another you WILL have differences! you will omit and change certain phrases or words etc. This to me does not amount to damning evidence that the NIV is a conspiracy to water down the word of God.

I personally switched to the NIV becos oftentimes I'd read something in the KJV, it'd make little sense, until I read it in the NIV and then go "oh! so that's what it was trying to say!". The KJ was translated using the language of another time, the NIV was translated using today's language. And I believe for the greatest chance of understanding they are both equally important.

Kay aint got your addy
 ..... kiss  I'll take it off when you reply.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2009
Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

By: Daniel B. Wallace
Download Word Doc
First, I want to affirm with all evangelical Christians that the Bible is the Word of God, inerrant, inspired, and our final authority for faith and life. However, nowhere in the Bible am I told that only one translation of it is the correct one. Nowhere am I told that the King James Bible is the best or only ‘holy’ Bible. There is no verse that tells me how God will preserve his word, so I can have no scriptural warrant for arguing that the King James has exclusive rights to the throne. The arguments must proceed on other bases.

Second, the Greek text which stands behind the King James Bible is demonstrably inferior in certain places. The man who edited the text was a Roman Catholic priest and humanist named Erasmus.1 He was under pressure to get it to the press as soon as possible since (a) no edition of the Greek New Testament had yet been published, and (b) he had heard that Cardinal Ximenes and his associates were just about to publish an edition of the Greek New Testament and he was in a race to beat them. Consequently, his edition has been called the most poorly edited volume in all of literature! It is filled with hundreds of typographical errors which even Erasmus would acknowledge. Two places deserve special mention. In the last six verses of Revelation, Erasmus had no Greek manuscript (=MS) (he only used half a dozen, very late MSS for the whole New Testament any way). He was therefore forced to ‘back-translate’ the Latin into Greek and by so doing he created seventeen variants which have never been found in any other Greek MS of Revelation! He merely guessed at what the Greek might have been. Secondly, for 1 John 5:7-8, Erasmus followed the majority of MSS in reading “there are three witnesses in heaven, the Spirit and the water and the blood.” However, there was an uproar in some Roman Catholic circles because his text did not read “there are three witnesses in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit.” Erasmus said that he did not put that in the text because he found no Greek MSS which had that reading. This implicit challenge—viz., that if he found such a reading in any Greek MS, he would put it in his text—did not go unnoticed. In 1520, a scribe at Oxford named Roy made such a Greek MS (codex 61, now in Dublin). Erasmus’ third edition had the second reading because such a Greek MS was ‘made to order’ to fill the challenge! To date, only a handful of Greek MSS have been discovered which have the Trinitarian formula in 1 John 5:7-8, though none of them is demonstrably earlier than the sixteenth century.

That is a very important point. It illustrates something quite significant with regard to the textual tradition which stands behind the King James. Probably most textual critics today fully embrace the doctrine of the Trinity (and, of course, all evangelical textual critics do). And most would like to see the Trinity explicitly taught in 1 John 5:7-8. But most reject this reading as an invention of some overly zealous scribe. The problem is that the King James Bible is filled with readings which have been created by overly zealous scribes! Very few of the distinctive King James readings are demonstrably ancient. And most textual critics just happen to embrace the reasonable proposition that the most ancient MSS tend to be more reliable since they stand closer to the date of the autographs. I myself would love to see many of the King James readings retained. The story of the woman caught in adultery (John 7:53-8:11) has always been a favorite of mine about the grace of our savior, Jesus Christ. That Jesus is called God in 1 Timothy 3:16 affirms my view of him. Cf. also John 3:13; 1 John 5:7-8, etc. But when the textual evidence shows me both that scribes had a strong tendency to add, rather than subtract, and that most of these additions are found in the more recent MSS, rather than the more ancient, I find it difficult to accept intellectually the very passages which I have always embraced emotionally. In other words, those scholars who seem to be excising many of your favorite passages from the New Testament are not doing so out of spite, but because such passages are not found in the better and more ancient MSS. It must be emphatically stressed, however, that this does not mean that the doctrines contained in those verses have been jeopardized. My belief in the deity of Christ, for example, does not live or die with 1 Timothy 3:16. In fact, it has been repeatedly affirmed that no doctrine of Scripture has been affected by these textual differences. If that is true, then the ‘King James only’ advocates might be crying wolf where none exists, rather than occupying themselves with the more important aspects of advancing the gospel.2

Third, the King James Bible has undergone three revisions since its inception in 1611, incorporating more than 100,000 changes. Which King James Bible is inspired, therefore?

Fourth, 300 words found in the KJV no longer bear the same meaning—e.g., “Suffer little children…to come unto me” (Matt 19:14). “Study to shew thyself approved unto God” (2 Tim 2:15). Should we really embrace a Bible as the best translation when it uses language that not only is not clearly understood any more, but in fact has been at times perverted and twisted?3

To read all the text go here
http://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-think-king-james-bible-best-translation-available-today

Definately KJV is dangerous in Nigeria. I've just got back and I met a pastor who quoted "Suffer not a Witch to Live". For a start he kept quoting it wrong and saying "Suffer a witch to NOT live". For him Suffer meant that we had to torture witches and make them suffer in the modern sense of the word. He was one of those Mountain of Fire guys. I saw that to explain the original meaning of suffer to him would take too much time and effort and he still probably wouldn't get it.

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 10, 2009
JeSoul:

Why does it matter who 'prints' the bible? The same catholic/RCC church that most of us other christians believe to be evil are the ones who 'compiled' the bible. Yet we don't reject the scriptures just because of who had their hands on it at one point do we?

this is grossly untrue. These scriptures were being read by the ancient church way before the RCC came on the scene. We know that copies of the old testament were kept in the temple and read in the synagogues. The gospels provide evidence of Christ reading from the book of Isaiah (no RCC existed then) and he also quoted from Deuteronomy and the book of Psalms.

Paul talks about his writings being copied and read among the churches too. Peter quotes some of the old testament writers too. Brother Jude also quotes the book of Enoch which is strangely missing from our copies of the bible.

1 Like

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 5:44pm On Aug 10, 2009
davidylan:

this is grossly untrue. These scriptures were being read by the ancient church way before the RCC came on the scene. We know that copies of the old testament were kept in the temple and read in the synagogues. The gospels provide evidence of Christ reading from the book of Isaiah (no RCC existed then) and he also quoted from Deuteronomy and the book of Psalms.

Paul talks about his writings being copied and read among the churches too. Peter quotes some of the old testament writers too. Brother Jude also quotes the book of Enoch which is strangely missing from our copies of the bible.
David I didn't say the RCC wrote the scriptures nor did I insinuate it began with them and I'm not sure how you read that into my post. I simply said they had a hand in compiling the bible as we know it today, finish.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2009
I believe what she said is that they 'compiled' the bible. The various texts in the bible existed way before the bible existed. And yes, there were numerous texts considered scripture that did not make it into the bible.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2009
Pastor AIO:

http://bible.org/article/why-i-do-not-think-king-james-bible-best-translation-available-today

Thanks for the link Pastor! Fascinating article with lots of things I wasn't aware of. Let me do some more reading and comment on them later. Thanks again.

Definately KJV is dangerous in Nigeria. I've just got back and I met a pastor who quoted "Suffer not a Witch to Live". For a start he kept quoting it wrong and saying "Suffer a witch to NOT live". For him Suffer meant that we had to torture witches and make them suffer in the modern sense of the word. He was one of those Mountain of Fire guys. I saw that to explain the original meaning of suffer to him would take too much time and effort and he still probably wouldn't get it.
 shocked  shocked  shocked
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 10:00pm On Aug 10, 2009
JeSoul taken from What Is A Familiar Spirit? on August 08, 2009, 10:13 PM:

. . . But I wouldn't trade the ease of understanding & simplicity of versions like the NIV for the KJV.

Is The NIV Bible Corrupt?

Yes it is and the evidences are abound

Someone has to say it if no one else yet, is prepared to admit it

Having said that incidentally, it doesnt stop me using it grin

since I use it with caution; Aye, extreme caution.

Oddly enough, back in the days when I couldnt come to grips with KJV

it was NIV that I used to blitz the Bible through back to back.

So in fairness,  NIV put me in good stead & prepared me to grasp KJV afterwards

The ". . . wouldn't trade versions like the NIV for the KJV . . ."

gave the impression that NIV is what you exclusively use

The unawareness of familiar spirits fuelled further the presumption

KJV, once gotten the hang off, is a doodle

The key is to use it inconjunction & in parallel with other translations

Whenever the bones are about to choke, dont hesistate, just spit them out literally grin . . .

grin Pastor AIO? wink grin

Jay dont let the title or office razzmatazz you. Thats all I'll say about that grin. . .

By the way, those in the know, understand that "Suffer little childre to come unto me” and the likes

means "Tolerate, allow endure or permit little children to come unto me"

Trust me NIV is corrupt and perverted

It is lethal and dangerous if in the hands of those that dont know or are naive smiley
Am tired men. Need to hit the sack . . .
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 12:48am On Aug 11, 2009
Recognise:

[size=12pt]

grin Pastor AIO? wink grin

Jay dont let the title or office razzmatazz you. Thats all I'll say about that grin. . .

I'm left wondering what you mean by the above. I see my name in there but what are you saying?
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 11, 2009
davidylan:

Why don't you start quoting from books of Enoch,Jubilees,and other writings that were not canonised.

The fact remains that not less than 100 scrioptural writings existed before the Bible came into existence.

The RCC you so much hate brought the Bible into existence,if you don't like that fact go and hang yourself
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by richjohn1(m): 1:12pm On Aug 11, 2009
true talk chukwudi the RCC gave the bible that's why its filled with contradictions, inconsistencies and some will say errors. Its a true resemblance of what the RCC is
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by FBS: 2:42pm On Aug 11, 2009
@Topic:
Food for Thought.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2009
From the book of enoch:
VI-XI. The Fall of the Angels: the Demoralization of Mankind: the Intercession of the Angels on behalf of Mankind. The Dooms pronounced by God on the Angels of the Messianic Kingdom-- (a Noah fragment).

And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto
them beautiful and comely daughters. And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men
and beget us children.' And Semjâzâ, who was their leader, said unto them: 'I fear ye will not
indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.' And they all answered him and said: 'Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations
not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.' Then sware they all together and bound themselves
by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn
and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Samîazâz, their leader, Arâkîba, Râmêêl, Kôkabîêl, Tâmîêl, Râmîêl, Dânêl, Êzêqêêl, Barâqîjâl,
Asâêl, Armârôs, Batârêl, Anânêl, Zaqîêl, Samsâpêêl, Satarêl, Tûrêl, Jômjâêl, Sariêl. These are their chiefs of tens.

And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms
and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. And they
became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells: Who consumed
all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against
them and devoured mankind. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and
fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones.

And Azâzêl taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all
colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they
were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjâzâ taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, 'Armârôs the resolving of enchantments, Barâqîjâl (taught) astrology, Kôkabêl the constellations, Êzêqêêl the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiêl the signs of the earth, Shamsiêl the signs of the sun, and Sariêl the course of the moon. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven,

http://www.heaven.net.nz/writings/thebookofenoch.htm
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by duduspace(m): 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2009
@Jesoul,

Is this some sort of segregation yu're starting on Nairaland? do yu mean non christians should not contribute? Anyway's my two pence contribution is simply that god does a disservice to christians when he can't even come down to solve the issues having to do with the adulteration of his supposed words. We aren't talkin about people doubting him here but people who genuinely have faith like you. Bloke is definitely the author of confusion.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Nobody: 5:55pm On Aug 11, 2009
@pastor aio
Nice post,the scripture you quoted from the book of enoch is verified in genesis 6:1-5 albeit in lesser detail. It is also very interesting and thought provoking as it throws up a lot of questions our preachers would find embarassing.i.e could the angels in that passage be described as etra terrestrials or aliens since they were obviously physical beings contrary to spiritual beings which our preachers say today.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
Pastor AIO:

I'm left wondering what you mean by the above. I see my name in there but what are you saying?
I think he meant in a light-hearted fashion not to take your title as a "pastor" seriously  smiley.

Recognise:

Yes it is and the evidences are abound
Alright I will go to that website and cull a couple of the 'evidences' they cite and discuss them here.

The ". . . wouldn't trade versions like the NIV for the KJV . . ."

gave the impression that NIV is what you exclusively use

The unawareness of familiar spirits fuelled further the presumption
   Given the choice btw the NIV or KJV, I'm going with the NIV. The KJV may be closer in kinship to the original texts, but what would that matter if one cannot understand it?

KJV, once gotten the hang off, is a doodle
Perhaps for you, not all of us can be as smart and dandy with Kings English  smiley

By the way, those in the know, understand that "Suffer little childre to come unto me” and the likes

means "Tolerate, allow endure or permit little children to come unto me"
  Unfortunately those "in the know" are not always the majority. The average person on the streets of naija I am willing to bet does not know "suffer" in that verse meant something else as evidenced in the anecdote told by PastorAIO.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 7:37pm On Aug 11, 2009
PastorAIO,

just a quick question. What is your opinion of the "Book of Enoch" you quoted? how do you treat/use such extra-biblical texts personally? What do you think is its importance/significance to us christians today? Thanks.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2009
duduspace:

@Jesoul,
Is this some sort of segregation yu're starting on Nairaland? do yu mean non christians should not contribute?
   Segregation was not the intention and I'm sure you know that  kiss. I wanted to have a discussion with viewpoints from christians only for two reasons:

1. because they obviously are the only ones who judiciously & honestly read the bible can can give their opinions on the different versions
2. because many atheists here are known for gate-crashing christian threads and going off-topic and the essence of the thread gets distorted and lost. For example the thread is about the NIV bible version but you have gone in this direction:
Anyway's my two pence contribution is simply that god does a disservice to christians when he can't even come down to solve the issues having to do with the adulteration of his supposed words. We aren't talkin about people doubting him here but people who genuinely have faith like you. Bloke is definitely the author of confusion.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2009
JeSoul:

PastorAIO,

just a quick question. What is your opinion of the "Book of Enoch" you quoted? how do you treat/use such extra-biblical texts personally? What do you think is its importance/significance to us christians today? Thanks.

To be honest, I haven't read much of it.  I've tried a few times but it doesn't really grip me or speak to me in any way.  I don't really use it personally, neither do I use much of the old testament.  That is not to say that someone else might not find in it a rich source of inspiration.  It's importance/significance to us as christians will vary from christian to christian.  For me it has mainly historical significance.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 8:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
Pastor AIO:

To be honest, I haven't read much of it.  I've tried a few times but it doesn't really grip me or speak to me in any way.  I don't really use it personally, neither do I use much of the old testament.  That is not to say that someone else might not find in it a rich source of inspiration.  It's importance/significance to us as christians will vary from christian to christian.  For me it has mainly historical significance.

Okay thanks. I always find myself somewhat unsure on how to handle or approach extra-biblical texts. Can it be trusted? does it stand in opposition or contradiction to the current bible? if not, does it have any significant application for today's believers? and for that reason I myself don't read or use any of them. I would agree with you though about their historical significance, but beyond that  undecided

Anyways, slightly off-topic but care to explain more why you don't really use the OT?
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2009
Here's a website that is a great resource for anyone who really wants to study the bible deeply by looking at the various original manuscripts in Greek, Latin, Aramaic and Hebrew:

http://biblos.com/

This is what it has to say about Mark 10:14

All you have to do is put your cursor over a greek word and it will give you it's various meanings.  

http://biblos.com/mark/10-14.htm
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by PastorAIO: 8:43pm On Aug 11, 2009
JeSoul:

Okay thanks. I always find myself somewhat unsure on how to handle or approach extra-biblical texts. Can it be trusted? does it stand in opposition or contradiction to the current bible? if not, does it have any significant application for today's believers? and for that reason I myself don't read or use any of them. I would agree with you though about their historical significance, but beyond that  undecided

Anyways, slightly off-topic but care to explain more why you don't really use the OT?

It is off topic but I'll answer briefly. Save for the psalms proverbs and a couple of others it doesn't really speak to me and there is not much that I can apply to my life in them.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 8:54pm On Aug 11, 2009
Now addressing "evidence" purporting the NIV bible presents a perverted gospel as outlined by Terry Watkins on www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/niv_exposed.htm

#1. In dispute: NIV perverts the deity of Christ.
      Really? 1 Tim 3:16
KJV -
And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:
    God was manifest in the flesh,
     justified in the Spirit, seen of angels,
   preached unto the Gentiles,
    believed on in the world,
    received up into glory.

NIV -
Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:
  He[a*] appeared in a body,[b*]
     was vindicated by the Spirit,
  was seen by angels,
     was preached among the nations,
  was believed on in the world,
     was taken up in glory.

The bone of contention is that "He" instead of "God" and "Body" instead of "Flesh" is used in the NIV. I doubt I need to point out the ridiculousness of such an assertion that this supposedly "perverts the diety of Christ".

But the bigger point which the author shamelessly fails to point out is that in the NIV bible it clearly makes this observation in the footnotes on the same page in its bibles (linked by the [a*][b*] markers in the verses):

[a*]-1 Timothy 3:16 Some manuscripts God
[b*]-1 Timothy 3:16 Or in the flesh

so if the NIV is truly trying to change 'God to Him' and 'Flesh to Body' why would it include that footnote on the same page as the verse to guide readers?
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Here's a website that is a great resource for anyone who really wants to study the bible deeply by looking at the various original manuscripts in Greek, Latin, Aramaic and Hebrew:

http://biblos.com/

This is what it has to say about Mark 10:14

All you have to do is put your cursor over a greek word and it will give you it's various meanings.

http://biblos.com/mark/10-14.htm

Thanks for the link, most appreciated!

Pastor AIO:

It is off topic but I'll answer briefly. Save for the psalms proverbs and a couple of others it doesn't really speak to me and there is not much that I can apply to my life in them.

hmm, intresting. I find the OT bursting at the seams with stories of very practical applications. I would like to discuss this more sometime with you. I shall open a topic at some point. Thanks & Cheers!
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 9:06pm On Aug 11, 2009
JeSoul:

. . .  Can we discuss what exactly the problems are with the NIV bible compared to the KJV?

. . .  had this debate . . .  in the past and my conclusion

was that the 'differences' or 'omissions' to me are not nearly enough to dismiss the NIV

hence why I still continue to use it.

I attribute those problems to translational or transcriptional errors or shortcomings

- not necessarily a conspiracy to water down the word of God

and I don't see how the NIV presents a different or manipulated gospel from the KJV.

. . . christians your input is more than welcome.

grin I like the manner you selectively quote and chose your responses grin

How did you manage to miss the below and not address it as well grin

[center]" . . . Trust me NIV is corrupt and perverted

It is lethal and dangerous if in the hands of those that dont know or are naive"
[/center] 

Have you not noticed that no one has grasped the bull by the horns

and come out to prove or refute Is The NIV Bible Corrupt?

I'll reiterate or paraphrase that the NIV Bible is corrupt because it is dishonest.

It contains undesirable changes in meanings and/or blantant outright errors

It introduced misleading and deliberate ommissions,

an example is "familiar spirits" albeit inspite of it, you are now familiar with the phrase, excuse the pun grin

We've heard that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God"

One would have thought, yeah a trivial thing such as familiar spirits would be in HIV grin Sorry NIV

Jay please can you publish here what  the following verses say from your NIV:

1) Matthew 18:11
2) Matthew 17:21
3) Mark 15:28
4) John 5:4
5) Acts 8:37
6) Romans 16:24

Disclaimer! Weather check, you're due for a disappointment because you wouldnt find such verses in HIV NIV.

You think KJV is Kings English grin What you gonna say if you were reading Chaucers

As I say I used NIV, with caution, extreme caution for that matter . . .

I walk on water and dont sink because I know where the stones are  wink grin an old Joke about the Pastor, Padre & Rabbi fishing on a lake . . .

NIV is a loaded gun left in the wrong hands, its lethal and can be fatal . . .  
KISS- keeping it short & simple wink
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 9:19pm On Aug 11, 2009
Alleged Perverison #2: The NIV perverts the virgin birth. Luke 2:33

KJV-
And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.

NIV-
The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him.

Bone of contention? NIV says "Father" KJV says "Joseph. Quote from the website:http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/niv_exposed.htm
The King James Bible reads, "And JOSEPH and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him." The NIV reads, "The CHILD'S FATHER and mother marveled at what was said about him." The "CHILD'S FATHER"? Was Joseph Jesus's father? Not if you believe the virgin birth! Not if you believe John 3:16, that Jesus Christ was the Son of God! A subtil, "perversion" of the virgin birth.
 Seriously? I'll let the readers judge for themselves if this is a serious enough offense by the NIV.

By the way, we should also chastise Mary for refering to Joseph as Jesus's father in yes the KJV:
Luke 2:48
And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 9:21pm On Aug 11, 2009
Spot the difference game . . .

Revelation 1:10-11:

New International Version (NIV)
10 On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,

11 which said: "Write on a scroll what you see and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia and Laodicea."

King James Version (KJV)
10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

Still awaiting you to publish here what  the following verses say from HIV NIV:

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 9:26pm On Aug 11, 2009
Recognise:

grin I like the manner you selectively quote and chose your responses grin

How did you manage to miss the below and not address it as well grin

[center]" . . . Trust me NIV is corrupt and perverted

It is lethal and dangerous if in the hands of those that dont know or are naive"
[/center]  

Okay so are you saying the NIV is okay for some people but not for others? I don't want to misunderstand you.

Have you not noticed that no one has grasped the bull by the horns
 ah ah see dis wayo boy  cheesy didn't you see AIO's response and my first response to the website you presented as evidence? Don't make me come over there  grin

an example is "familiar spirits" albeit inspite of it, you are now familiar with the phrase, excuse the pun grin
 hehe Jesoul is not 'familiar' with every phrase in the bible. I will miss and forget certain ones especially the ones I don't use or hear often or are not used in the version I use often.

Jay please can you publish here what  the following verses say from your NIV:

Disclaimer! Weather check, you're due for a disappointment because you wouldnt find such verses in HIV NIV.
  Don't worry homeboy  smiley I will get to those in a little bit. I'm busy pointing out the sensationalized ones on http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/niv_exposed.htm  grin
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 9:35pm On Aug 11, 2009
Recognise:

Still awaiting you to publish here what  the following verses say from HIV NIV:

Let me give you one response to this particular verse to wet your appetite, then I have to be out in a minute.

KJV, Matthew 18:11 "For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. You're right Matt 18:11 does not 'exist' in the NIV bible.
   BUT before you smile in false victory the NIV CLEARLY states this after verse 10:
" For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven[b].[a][/b]

the[b] [a] [/b] directs readers to the bottom of the page in the footnotes section where it says this clearly:
Matthew 18:10 Some manuscripts heaven. 11 The Son of Man came to save what was lost.

There. Where's the conspiracy and deliberate omission by the NIV to pervert the bible? why did they include it in the footnote eh? I am willing to bet for every "omitted" verse in the NIV, there is a clear, concise, easily visible at the bottom of the page footnote stating that exact same thing as in the KJV.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 9:50pm On Aug 11, 2009
JeSoul:

. . . Okay so are you saying the NIV is okay for some people but not for others?

I don't want to misunderstand you . .

@JeSoul

- JeSoul

Its OK for all and sundry to use

as in, if all and sundry are aware it's dodgy and arent naive enough to think its harmless . . .

Its akin to carrying a bag full of explosives,

Its either you'll be careful with the bag once you're aware of the explosives in it or let go off it

We havent covered grounds at all, in fact we haven't even scratched the tip of the iceberg yet

This is a can of wriggly rotten worms, it aint goody two-shoes . . . grin

You said ". . . I will miss and forget certain ones especially the ones I don't use or hear often or are not used in the version I use often . . ."

Funningly enough thats one of the agendas and objectives of NIV and Rubert Murdoch the owner achieved grin

to remove phrases such as familiar spirits from the Bible to suck the non suspecting public to psychics, mediums etc

PS
JeSoul today 10t Aug 2009:

You're right Matt 18:11 does not 'exist' in the NIV bible. BUT before you smile in false victory  . . .

@^ Muwhahaha . . .  grin grin

We're anxiously awaiting your findings & the outcome of the other verses . . .  smiley
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 10:35pm On Aug 11, 2009
JeSoul:

Alleged Perverison #2: The NIV perverts the virgin birth. Luke 2:33

KJV-
And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.

NIV-
The child's father and mother marveled at what was said about him.

Bone of contention? NIV says "Father" KJV says "Joseph. Quote from the website: http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/niv_exposed.htm 

Seriously? I'll let the readers judge for themselves if this is a serious enough offense by the NIV.

By the way, we should also chastise Mary for refering to Joseph as Jesus's father in yes the KJV:

Luke 2:48
And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

@JeSoul

Jay! Please!!

Stop, you've stepped in it again and am hurting . . .

I keep re-writing my responses because I dont want to come across as brash

Are you trying to pull wool over our eyes, hmm?

or recklessly and desperately looking for cheap pot shots without any regard to caution?

You called to chastise Mary for refering to Joseph as Jesus's father, yeah?

Why didnt read and study Luke 2 in context and properly instead of zeroing on Luke 2:33 and Luke 2:48 alone

grin Mary hadnt a clue, and Jesus corrected her already grin

Didnt you notice that Jesus corrected his Mum in Luke 2:49-51 and they still werent the wiser . . .

Luke 2:49-51:

48And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

49And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?

50And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.

51And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 4:07pm On Aug 12, 2009
hehe see this yeye boy refusing to accept the plain, simple truth  cheesy

any verse or section that has been "omitted" in the NIV from the KJV can be found clearly stated in a footnote at the bottom of the same page of the same NIV bible being read from. and the glaring refusal of the author of the so-called perversions to recognise (pun intended smiley ) this is highly suspect.

You don't have to worry about coming across as 'brash'  kiss  I can handle it  cool.  I see no need to go thru the rest of the so-called perversions listed on that website - they are all sensationalized. As far as I'm concerned the NIV bible preaches the unadulterated gospel of Christ, a few word differences here n there do not have any significant effect on its message at all.

By the way you did not comment on this article:

Why I Do Not Think the King James Bible Is the Best Translation Available Today

By: Daniel B. Wallace
  Download Word Doc
First, I want to affirm with all evangelical Christians that the Bible is the Word of God, inerrant, inspired, and our final authority for faith and life. However, nowhere in the Bible am I told that only one translation of it is the correct one. Nowhere am I told that the King James Bible is the best or only ‘holy’ Bible. There is no verse that tells me how God will preserve his word, so I can have no scriptural warrant for arguing that the King James has exclusive rights to the throne. The arguments must proceed on other bases.

Second, the Greek text which stands behind the King James Bible is demonstrably inferior in certain places. The man who edited the text was a Roman Catholic priest and humanist named Erasmus.1 He was under pressure to get it to the press as soon as possible since (a) no edition of the Greek New Testament had yet been published, and (b) he had heard that Cardinal Ximenes and his associates were just about to publish an edition of the Greek New Testament and he was in a race to beat them. Consequently, his edition has been called the most poorly edited volume in all of literature! It is filled with hundreds of typographical errors which even Erasmus would acknowledge. Two places deserve special mention. In the last six verses of Revelation, Erasmus had no Greek manuscript (=MS) (he only used half a dozen, very late MSS for the whole New Testament any way). He was therefore forced to ‘back-translate’ the Latin into Greek and by so doing he created seventeen variants which have never been found in any other Greek MS of Revelation! He merely guessed at what the Greek might have been. Secondly, for 1 John 5:7-8, Erasmus followed the majority of MSS in reading “there are three witnesses in heaven, the Spirit and the water and the blood.” However, there was an uproar in some Roman Catholic circles because his text did not read “there are three witnesses in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit.” Erasmus said that he did not put that in the text because he found no Greek MSS which had that reading. This implicit challenge—viz., that if he found such a reading in any Greek MS, he would put it in his text—did not go unnoticed. In 1520, a scribe at Oxford named Roy made such a Greek MS (codex 61, now in Dublin). Erasmus’ third edition had the second reading because such a Greek MS was ‘made to order’ to fill the challenge! To date, only a handful of Greek MSS have been discovered which have the Trinitarian formula in 1 John 5:7-8, though none of them is demonstrably earlier than the sixteenth century.

That is a very important point. It illustrates something quite significant with regard to the textual tradition which stands behind the King James. Probably most textual critics today fully embrace the doctrine of the Trinity (and, of course, all evangelical textual critics do). And most would like to see the Trinity explicitly taught in 1 John 5:7-8. But most reject this reading as an invention of some overly zealous scribe. The problem is that the King James Bible is filled with readings which have been created by overly zealous scribes! Very few of the distinctive King James readings are demonstrably ancient. And most textual critics just happen to embrace the reasonable proposition that the most ancient MSS tend to be more reliable since they stand closer to the date of the autographs. I myself would love to see many of the King James readings retained. The story of the woman caught in adultery (John 7:53-8:11) has always been a favorite of mine about the grace of our savior, Jesus Christ. That Jesus is called God in 1 Timothy 3:16 affirms my view of him. Cf. also John 3:13; 1 John 5:7-8, etc. But when the textual evidence shows me both that scribes had a strong tendency to add, rather than subtract, and that most of these additions are found in the more recent MSS, rather than the more ancient, I find it difficult to accept intellectually the very passages which I have always embraced emotionally. In other words, those scholars who seem to be excising many of your favorite passages from the New Testament are not doing so out of spite, but because such passages are not found in the better and more ancient MSS. It must be emphatically stressed, however, that this does not mean that the doctrines contained in those verses have been jeopardized. My belief in the deity of Christ, for example, does not live or die with 1 Timothy 3:16. In fact, it has been repeatedly affirmed that no doctrine of Scripture has been affected by these textual differences. If that is true, then the ‘King James only’ advocates might be crying wolf where none exists, rather than occupying themselves with the more important aspects of advancing the gospel.2

Third, the King James Bible has undergone three revisions since its inception in 1611, incorporating more than 100,000 changes. Which King James Bible is inspired, therefore?

Fourth, 300 words found in the KJV no longer bear the same meaning—e.g., “Suffer little children…to come unto me” (Matt 19:14). “Study to shew thyself approved unto God” (2 Tim 2:15). Should we really embrace a Bible as the best translation when it uses language that not only is not clearly understood any more, but in fact has been at times perverted and twisted?3

Cheers! cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

An Atheist's Interpretation Of Deuteronomy 25:11-12. / More Than 50000 Errors In The Bible / How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.