Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,427 members, 7,822,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) (4814 Views)

Is The NIV Version Of The Holy Bible Anti-Christ? / Absolutely Shocking News About the NIV Bible! All Must Know! / Shocking Discovery About NIV Bible. (a Must-read For True Believers) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by alimat2(f): 5:33pm On Aug 12, 2009
Greetings,

As a non xtian who want to convert which bible will u recommend for me?
But i thought the bible is just one?

Thanks
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 8:51pm On Aug 12, 2009
[center]NIV BIBLE QUIZ[/center]
INSTRUCTIONS:
Using the New International Version Bible (NIV), answer the following questions.

Do not rely on your memory.

As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from the NIV Bible verse

(Not from footnotes but from the text. Footnotes are not the Bible.)

1. Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies, ________ them that curse you, _____________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."

2. According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of devil?

3. According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth?

4. According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name?

5. In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV.

6. In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out devils and to:

7. According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear?

8. According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name?

9. In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know?

10. In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do?

11. In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus?

12. According to Luke 23:38, in what three languages was the superscription written?

13. In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?

14. John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man?

15. What happened each year as told in John 5:4?

16. In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?

17. In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism?

18. What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6?

19. Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34.

20. Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command?

21. Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV.

22. First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh?

23. In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do?

24. Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7?

25. Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A__________ and O___________ , the _________ and the _______:"

Conclusion: Little spaces were provided for your answers, but it's much more than needed.

So now what do you think of your "accurate, easy-to-understand, up-to-date Bible" ?

These 25 questions show up NIV to be not up to scratch.

If you would like to improve your score, and in fact score 100%, you can take this test using the Authorized (King James) Bible

[center]"While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die."[/center]
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 8:58pm On Aug 12, 2009
Recognise:

[center]NIV BIBLE QUIZ[/center]
INSTRUCTIONS:
Using the New International Version Bible (NIV), answer the following questions.

Do not rely on your memory.

As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from the NIV Bible verse

(Not from footnotes but from the text. Footnotes are not the Bible.)

Wayo boy is back  cheesy. Whether you like it or not, footnotes are in every NIV bible including mine  cool. We NIV users are not 'missing' any scriptures.
and you still have not responded to this article https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-307915.0.html#msg4328145
cool we are patiently waiting.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 9:34pm On Aug 12, 2009
@JeSoul

- Jay

Daniel B. Wallace?

So you take your cue from Daniel B. Wallace?

Who the blankety blank is Daniel B. Wallace?

Check out what Daniel B. Wallace has to say of your treasured & beloved NIV

Daniel B. Wallace - Bible Translation]

New International Version (NIV)

The NIV was published in 1978. It may be considered a counterpart to the NEB - New English Bible
(The NEB is strictly a British product, while the NIV is an international product).

It is more of a phrase-for-phrase translation than a word-for-word translation.

The translators were generally more conservative than those who worked on the NEB.

I personally consider it the best phrase-for-phrase translation available today.

However, its major flaw is its simplicity of language.

The editors wanted to make sure it was easy to read.

In achieving this goal, they often sacrificed accuracy.

In the New Testament, sentences are shortened, subordination of thought is lost,

and conjunctions are often deleted.

for SOURCE: Click here

[/quote]

[quote author=Alimat 2:

Greetings,

As a non xtian who want to convert which bible will u recommend for me?

But I thought the bible is just one?

Thanks

@Alimat 2

- Alimat 2

Yup! You thought that right, yeah the Bible is just one

but the translations are more than one

Which Bible to recommend to/for you?

To that question I'll rephrase it and ask which translation

You can start with the easy-to-follow translations

such as the likes of NIV, Contemporary English Version, Amplified Bible etc

There is no single answer as you progress & grow in your christian faith

who'll likely end up studying & reading more than one translation

[center]"While I thought I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die."[/center]
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by duduspace(m): 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2009
JeSoul:

Segregation was not the intention and I'm sure you know that  kiss
Heaves a sigh of relief

JeSoul:

1. because they obviously are the only ones who judiciously & honestly read the bible can can give their opinions on the different versions
2. because many atheists here are known for gate-crashing christian threads and going off-topic and the essence of the thread gets distorted and lost. For example the thread is about the NIV bible version but you have gone in this direction: 

On point one, I beleive yu are wrong,  not only christians judiciously & honestly read their bible, from a point of commitment to reading the bible I would say most christians are lazy, choosing only to read supposedly specific promises for them (which unfortunately most of the time they don't even fully understand as they don't place them in the historical context of the times those words were written). a bible scholar however does not of a necessity have to be a christian. I've personally read the bible through twice (KJV version)

A scholar also has the obvious benefit of approaching the bible from an impartial point of view because he has no vested interests in the bible being the word of god or not. Perhaps if we had more people of atheistic or agnostic mindsets in the various councils  of those days rather than politicians seeking to control and subjugate, there wouldn't be so much dispute about some bible versions being corrupt or not.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 8:39pm On Aug 13, 2009
duduspace:

Heaves a sigh of relief
  lol you know me better than that now.

On point one, I beleive yu are wrong,  not only christians judiciously & honestly read their bible, from a point of commitment to reading the bible I would say most christians are lazy, choosing only to read supposedly specific promises for them (which unfortunately most of the time they don't even fully understand as they don't place them in the historical context of the times those words were written).
  You're right. It is a small percentage of professing christians who actually take the time to study the bible as a student would. 

a bible scholar however does not of a necessity have to be a christian. I've personally read the bible through twice (KJV version)
    True. But the problem with that is that such a scholar reads it a historical document, whereas we christians read it as the very words of God - what both sides get out of it will be very different. I'm impressed you've read through the entire bible, but distressed it didn't touch and move your heart so as to see the beauty of the gospel of Christ.

A scholar also has the obvious benefit of approaching the bible from an impartial point of view because he has no vested interests in the bible being the word of god or not.
   Impartial in a secular sense? yeah I can see your point. But in understanding the spiritual and deeper meaning of the scriptures - which is what the topic is geared towards - I would need the input of christians who reason with the help of the holy spirit - not from an 'academic' mindset.

Perhaps if we had more people of atheistic or agnostic mindsets in the various councils  of those days rather than politicians seeking to control and subjugate, there wouldn't be so much dispute about some bible versions being corrupt or not.
  I disagree. An atheist/agnostic is already prejudiced against the bible. How do you think they would be able to submit an objective analysis of the scriptures?

There isn't a big controversy of scriptural versions, as you can see from this topic not many people even know about these differences. Which is why I have called them "sensationalized", as you jump from the KJV to the NIV and NASB etc it is not a different message or gospel being presented, it just isn't. And NIV conspiracy theorists know deep down that all this is much ado about nothing. I have used the NIV for many many years - I would like to think I turned out okay smiley.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 8:48pm On Aug 13, 2009
Recognise:

@JeSoul

- Jay

Daniel B. Wallace?

So you take your cue from Daniel B. Wallace?

Who the blankety blank is Daniel B. Wallace?

Check out what Daniel B. Wallace has to say of your treasured & beloved NIV

smiley . . . how come you did not highlight this part of his quote too?
I personally consider it the best phrase-for-phrase translation available today

lol. look we can toss back n forth from now till the rapture. I agree the KJV is the best and most accurate of all the versions. However I also believe the NIV is just as important because it is easy to understand. Of what use is 100% word for word translation accuracy if you can't understand it?
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 8:58pm On Aug 13, 2009
JeSoul taken from What Is A Familiar Spirit? on August 08, 2009, 10:13 PM:

. . . But I wouldn't trade the ease of understanding & simplicity of versions like the NIV for the KJV . . .

@JeSoul

- Jay

Then just one line below

"I personally consider it the best phrase-for-phrase translation available today"

he pulled the rug under the proverbial feet and said

"However, its major flaw is its simplicity of language"

We are on the same side

It was your quotation up there,

that got my goat not in biggie way though  wink Just a rattle

The question was "Is it corrupt?"

Of course it is but it still doesnt stop us picking it up alongside or in parallel with other translations . . .

White flag? wink . . .

At least the cat has been let out of the bag

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 9:05pm On Aug 13, 2009
. . . and I stand by that quote. If I absolutely had to choose btw the NIV and KJV, I will pick the NIV. Again of what use is a 100% word for word translation accuracy if you can't understand it?

If it were the RSV or NASB I would drop the NIV for them but not for the KJV.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by No2Atheism(m): 9:13pm On Aug 13, 2009
grin me is supports

RNKJV - i.e. most of all the biblical names have been restored to their original pronunciation and spelling, instead of using english translatoin of the names (which brings up the question - can a name really be translated, even if its translated, is it not even supposed to sound and look like the original version)

A name is an important thing as far as spiritual issues are concerned, hence my reason for being careful about the name. For those who are interested in knowing what the RNKJV is really , think of it as a restoration of all the biblical names that were anglicised, hellenised and bastardised over the centuries.

Hence wen u quote the RNKJV is looks basically the same as the KJV except in the names themselves.

Cus in as much as "E ku ile" does not really have an appropriate translation in english, i prefer not to take the risk of using names the are starting to look a little bit suspicious to my liking. Hence my reason to stick with RNKJV wen i wan to say something that involves a biblical name.

grin grin grin grin

thank you
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by JeSoul(f): 9:17pm On Aug 13, 2009
No2Atheism:

grin me is supports

RNKJV - i.e. most of all the biblical names have been restored to their original pronunciation and spelling, instead of using english words.

A name is an important thing as far as spiritual issues are concerned, hence my reason for being careful about the name. For those who are interested in knowing what the RNKJV is really , think of it as a restoration of all the biblical names that were anglicised, hellenised and bastardised over the centuries.

Hence wen u quote the RNKJV is looks basically the same as the KJV except in the names themselves.

Cus in as much as "E ku ile" does not really have an appropriate translation in english, i prefer not to take the risk of using names the are starting to look a little bit suspicious to my liking. Hence my reason to stick with RNKJV wen i wan to say something that involves a biblical name.

grin grin grin grin

thank you

LOL grin comedian, you never fail to disappoint me except with gi joe. Well for the rest of us not on the level of 300AD old school 'english' comprehension abilities such as you have, we have to make do with more modern versions.  cheesy
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 9:17pm On Aug 13, 2009
100% word word accuracy?

Who was advocating for that? Wasnt me

Translations can never be the original

Translations  KJV inclusive can never and will never capture the genuine article

We both agree KJV is the closest to the Real McCoy, dont we?

With time you'll likely gravitate towards it . . .

Where there is a will there is a way  wink wink my sista from another mother

If we have the determination to do something,

with help of the Paraclete we can always find the path or method to do it.

Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by No2Atheism(m): 1:36am On Aug 14, 2009
JeSoul:

LOL grin comedian, you never fail to disappoint me [b]except with gi joe. [/b]Well for the rest of us not on the level of 300AD old school 'english' comprehension abilities such as you have, we have to make do with more modern versions.  cheesy

oops sorry , let us delete that it ever happen and just assume i never watch the GI Joe six pack grin grin grin
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by No2Atheism(m): 1:48am On Aug 14, 2009
JeSoul:

LOL grin comedian, you never fail to disappoint me except with gi joe. Well for the rest of us not on the level of 300AD old school 'english' comprehension abilities such as you have, we have to make do with more modern versions.  cheesy

see as jesoul dey yab me , wetin my john sabi for inside linguistics and pronunciation grin grin grin.

i no sabi fit blow grammar like u now , grin grin grin
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:35am On Aug 14, 2009
The Word of God has always been under attack right from the Garden of Eden.  Check the link below to see how this dastardly act is being carried in contemporary days, even as we speak.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0031/0031_01.asp
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

The Word of God has always been under attack right from the Garden of Eden. 

Check the link below to see how this dastardly act is being carried in contemporary days, even as we speak.

http://www.chick.com/tractimages33733/0031/0031_22.gif

@OLAADEGBU

- OLAADEGBU; peer and fellow lord

That website was very detailed & informative . . .

Couldnt help not noticing the below extracted snapshot;

its part of the website but its taken out to display here

http://www.chick.com/tractimages63936/0031/0031_22.gif

It actually touched on 1 John 5:7 and the famous footnotes grin
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 15, 2009
@recognise
Imagine addrtessing yourself and a deluded fellow like Olaadegbu as lords, that is actually very unchristlike and arrogant, I actually thought you were a more enlightened christian than that.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Recognise: 10:11pm On Aug 15, 2009
Jagoon:

@Recognise

Imagine addressing yourself and a deluded fellow like Olaadegbu as lords,

that is actually very unchristlike and arrogant,

I actually thought you were a more enlightened christian than that.

@Jagoon

- Jagoon

grin You sound like a pharisee "Far-to-see" grin

You certainly must be familiar with the phrase "Lord of Lords"

Who is Lord and who are the Lords?

Pot Kettle Black
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:43pm On Aug 16, 2009
@Recognise, fellow soldier in Christ (peer and fellow lord who shall reign together with Christ):

I am not surprised that Jagoon (also known as KunleOshob) hasn't got a clue of what you were talking about, he is a Saduccee sad-you-see, who doesn't believe in the deity of Christ. 

The link you suggested above could not be opened for some reasons, you could check the address to find out if there is anything you could do to make it work.  I found another link that shows the spirit of anti christ that is already at work.

http://www.chick.com/information/bibleversions/teeth.asp
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On Aug 18, 2009
Resources for the KJV Bible. Check this website out and discover some facts of how our Bible has been put together.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/1611_authorized_king_james.htm
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Pygru: 10:48am On Aug 16, 2013
obadiah777: THE ALMIGHTY KJV SIRE. ANYTHING LESS IS BLUNT grin . IT HAS BEEN TAMPERED WITH. THERE IS A REASON FOR THE NEWER VERSIONS. IT IS TO REMOVE ALL TRACES OF THE NEGROS BEING JEWS. IN THE NEWER VERSIONS ALL REFERENCES TO NEGROS HAS BEEN CHANGED TO PROMOTE WHITE SUPERIORITY

obadiah777: SURE WHY NOT SIRE. AND THE KING JAMES WAS TRANSLATED DIRECTLY FROM THE HEBREW AND GREEK SCROLLS. I KNOW PEOPLE WHO READ BOTH HEBREW AND GREEK WHO HAVE DONE COMPARISONS

LAMENTATIONS 5 VS 10 KJV Our skin was black like an oven because of the terrible famine

LAMENTATIONS 5 VS 10 NIV Our skin is hot as an oven, feverish from hunger
obadiah777: SONG OF SOLOMON 1 VS 6 KJV Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: <<< KING SOLOMON

SONG OF SOLOMON 1 VS 6 NIV "Do not stare at me because I am swarthy, For the sun has burned me << KING SOLOMON

obadiah777: TRUST ME SIRE, SOME BIBLES HAVE BEEN ALTERED. IN FACT CHECK THIS VIDEO IF YOU DONT HAVE BANDWITH RESTRICTIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zS45tDFHRo&list=PL51C8C2CF9119643C
https://www.nairaland.com/1398487/weapons-inspection-soldiers-lets-inspect
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 18, 2013
@op. I dont see how kjv is superior to NIV to me, especially as our age is concerned because there are little insertion in the KJV and mistranslations in it that will make an average reader of kjv misunderstand the flavour of the bible writers.

I do compare translations especially the modern bible versions so as to get the understanding than using the archaic grammar that fills the kjv. it was good in the past, but modern english demands a change. my brother NIV is better, though i dont know the error you are talking about.

I basically like using NW. some scholars prefare it to kjv. though it is true that preference vary from person to person.

the fact is this:

a) a strictly literal translation will make no sense to an english reader, there is always dynamism.

b) even when u are literal in ur translation, you may still not bring out the mind of the writers.

Overall knowledge of the bible is essential to produce a good translation because EVERY version MUST add something to the new language before a translation will make sense to an english reader.

I prefare New World Translation. but i compare other translations for clarifications. i personally think the NIV is better than kjv.

however, in discussing a controversial verse, i think the exegetic makeup should be observed before arriving at a believe instead of holding one translation as an authority. after all the bible was written in hebrew and greek and not english. atimes the english versions do not bring out the real flavour of the original language.
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by chiedu7: 7:16am On Jul 10, 2015
Re: Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians) by socrateez(m): 9:20pm On Jul 10, 2015
HERE IS AN OFFICIAL RESPONSE FROM NIV BIBLE PUBLISHERS! PLEASE REBROADCAST AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE TO SHAME THE DEVIL!!!

Thank you for checking on this before forwarding such false and misleading statements. It is good to see a Christian who uses their mind before simply believing such nonsense.

These statements are false and silly and promoted either by those who don't know any better or who are intentionally trying to mislead. They have been promoted by some people for the last 40 years or so, but were refuted by good conservative scholars from the very beginning.

First, the NIV does not remove ANY verses. Instead, like all good Bible translations, the NIV omits statements that were added later and WERE NOT PART OF THE ORIGINAL TEXT. When the KJV was translated, the translators had only a few manuscripts of the New Testament available to them and these were very late (mostly from the Middle Ages). We now have hundreds of earlier and more reliable manuscripts. Scholars today recognize that we have a Greek text today that is much closer to the original than the KJV translators had available to them. So all modern versions (except the NKJV) use these older manuscripts. Even the NKJV puts the better readings in the footnotes (look for the abbreviation NU, which refers to the earlier and better manuscripts).

Remember that the original books of the Bible had no chapter or verse divisions. These were added later. So to say that there are "verses" missing is wrong. What are "missing" are phrases or sentences that were added by later scribes and were not part of the original text. The NIV, like all modern versions, seeks to preserve what was originally there. Read the Preface to the NIV and some of this is explained.

As far as the homosexual statement is concerned, this is simply false. None of the translators of the NIV were homosexuals (or Satanists!). All were conservative evangelical Christians fully committed to the inspiration and inerrancy of the text. For the names of the present and past committee members, see

http://www.biblica.com/…/the-niv-bible/meet-the-translators/
http://www.bible-researcher.com/niv-translators.html

Just check passages on homosexuality in the NIV and you will see that the NIV is not "soft" on homosexuality. Here are the main passages:

Lev. 18:22 “ ‘Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

Lev. 20:13 “ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Rom. 1:26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

1Cor. 6:9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1Tim. 1:9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine

So you see, these accusations are false and slanderous. It is a shame that many Christians are out to attack others rather than to promote the good news.

Thanks again for your question.

Blessings,

Mark Strauss

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Was The Garden Of Eden Located? / I Need A Superior Argument To Convert To Christianity / Proof Of Evolution: Early Human Fossils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.