Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (17583 Views)

RCCG Female Worker Sent Back Home For Wearing This To Church (Photo) / Is It Right To Be A Christian And Join Secret Society?; Pastor Shares Photos / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by beyondwalls: 11:43am On May 08, 2016
Support of, as in?

quote author=emilil post=45424201] so who are u in support of[/quote]
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by bongolistik(m): 11:44am On May 08, 2016
kvnqDavie:
Yup..
One can be a christian without going to church.A church is a christian house of worship..now its not a moral code of conduct that you must go to one to be a christian.
Is it a moral code of conduct that as a sailor that you must travel across sea and ocean?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by bongolistik(m): 11:46am On May 08, 2016
uchennaq:
Your statement cannot be used to compare what we are discussing. Like someone stated Church is important but not a prerequisite in making heaven.
But the OP never mentioned prerequisite to making heaven na
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Toluwani95: 11:50am On May 08, 2016
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian but can you be a Christian and not fellowship with others? I think it isn't possible, it's an holier-than-thou attitude, God might want you to be a change agent in the corrupt church out there. Even Jesus who was the holiest yet fellowshipped with others who weren't as half as holy as himself, so as to show us an example to follow. We are not to isolate ourselves from the world, we are to separate ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 11:50am On May 08, 2016
YungMike:

Smilez.... Go to church, preach to the masquerades and you win more souls. Your reward will be great in Heaven.
Do that at your OWN RISK
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by kvnqDavie: 11:52am On May 08, 2016
bongolistik:
Is it a moral code of conduct that as a sailor that you must travel across sea and ocean?

Dunno..
You tell me.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by adelee777: 11:53am On May 08, 2016
going to church is not a must, but it helps. ''do not forsake d assembly of d bretheren'' is a piece of advice, not a command. What is most important after being born again is found in james 1:27: ''pure religion undefiled before God n d Father is dis, to visit d fatherless n d widows in their affliction, n to keep himself unspotted from d world''. I.e, show love, n keep urself from being worldly. Thanx.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by emilil(m): 11:53am On May 08, 2016
beyondwalls:
Support of, as in?

quote author=emilil post=45424201] so who are u in support of
face front
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 11:56am On May 08, 2016
bongolistik:
can you be a sailor and not go across sea and ocean?
Mr Bongolistick.. The prerequisite I used wasn't from OP statement. Try and read between the lines and stop spamming with can you be a sailor and not cross ocean and sea. Your answer is YES. A sailor can be commissioned today and he dies tmr without crossing sea and ocean. [sub][/sub]

3 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by adelee777: 11:57am On May 08, 2016
n by d way, serving God or worshipping Him is not attached to particular places. God is a spirit, n those dat worship Him must do so in spirit n in truth. Ur body is d temple of d Lord. Serve Him there by living ur life to please Him. Thanx.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Elebiju: 11:59am On May 08, 2016
matrix199:

....He the same yesterday, today, and forever more.

The God who struck uzzah death just because he tried holding on the ark of covenant is the same God who did nothing to armed robbers who robbed a church in Benin.

Hmm
that's why He is God, I was there when the ox lost balance and uzzah tried to support the ark, you need to see it live and direct when he was struck dead because no man can support God. King david ordered the ark to be taken to the house of that wretched man Obededom though he was a levite, God blessed him in just three months and the king was forced to take the ark to Jerusalem.... I was there.

The building is not the church, all those gigantic buildings that gives you joy ain't the church. When two are gathered in His name He will surely be there, my cousin attends one church on the island just to mingle with rich folks and I'm sure they will fix a meeting for Friday at a club or elegushi beach..... Who are we deceiving?

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by christisreal: 12:02pm On May 08, 2016
Even Jesus went to church even when the religious folks tried to kill him.Peter with all his anointing still went to church.The book of Hebrews chp 10:25 tells us not to neglect the gathering of the brethren.If he is truly a christain then he will not disobey God's word.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by jamace(m): 12:04pm On May 08, 2016
Can one be going to church and be corrupt? Stealing peoples money, lobbying, bribing, showing partiality, nepotism etc.

If yes, then the spirit of God has departed from such a one. The person is on his own.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by edelweiss(f): 12:09pm On May 08, 2016
For me i sin more when i go to church (sunday services or Mass) all i see is pretenders. Fashion paraders , pastors trying to enrich themselves, buying building in posh areas . 1 million acres on whose name?its just so distracting. I went and served in church when all was well. Nothing pressuring me simply because i loved to be in the congregation, but when i grew in my church my perception changed .na something dey pursue MOST people go church. And they will now be making the rest see God as they do. So messed up for me . The bible tells me I'M HIS TEMPLE so im my own church. Dont get me wrong i rather go bible studies , hear people preach when evangelizing, or 6Am mass, crusades , u know not their sunday services. And i know and keep the commandments. As i human i sway but always conscious of it always. Mind u i dont pay my tithe to any church they have more than enough i give it to petty traders on the street. Hawkers . I feel they need it and between me and God , him know i don pay my tithes . #abeg my opinion and open to constructive advises or suggestion# aside that #lane Maintanace #

5 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by JubalTheophilus: 12:18pm On May 08, 2016
The church has lost its value. The old church were christians gather was to encourage each other spiritually and provide for their physical needs. Everything was brought into the house of and distributed among the needy. The story of Acts 5:1-10 - Ananias and Sapphira showed us what the early church was like. Its not the same today. Seek 1st the kingdom of God everything that has to do with it.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Justycxx(m): 12:20pm On May 08, 2016
laurel03:
The best church is in your heart.... Going to church does not make you a christian... Which church Jesus attends every sunday in the Bible? Accept Jesus and leave holiness life.. Shikena
you are not totally right my dear. I once lived that life, my parents, relatives, friends and other well wishers tried their best to see that i start going to church, all to no avail because i was viewing the church as a den of corruption where people run to so that they can hide their sins. But who am i to judge the church? In the end someone was able to talk me into going to church, it was then that i realised that in this heavenly race we all need the fellowship of bethren, someone who can motivate you when the devil triples his attack and moreover you can only get to hear the word from different perspective which has the potential of strenghtening the faith. Theres strenght in unity, being alone in the race is not adviceable, devil can take advantage

2 Likes

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by symbianDON(m): 12:30pm On May 08, 2016
Yes!! you can be a student and not go to class
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 08, 2016
Buharism:
Judging a christian by going to church to me is invalid, as for serving one another their are many ways that can be done e.g
1. Joining a christian fellowship group
2. joining a home to home bible study group e.g Jehovah witness
3. Sharing the gospel of salvation with people around you.
4. Living a life worthy of emulation.
Of what use will it be going to church when u knw ur life style is an opposite to your religion, and also remember that Jesus and the apostles preached more and were more successful outside the synagogue than inside it.
must u use Jehovah's witnesses,why u no use olumba or cherubim n seraphim?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Aden777(m): 12:30pm On May 08, 2016
Can you be a student without going to school?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ojabel(m): 12:31pm On May 08, 2016
sammyomal:
From my own personal pespective, i dont think its possible.
Now being a Christian means you are christlike and born again,you are now part of the brethren and
The bible also enjoins us not to forsake the assembly of the brethren.
Also remember the psalmist once said i am glad when they say we should go into the house of the Lord.
So once someone profess to be a christian,there is that inward push in you that makes you see fellowshiping with the brethren as a must.
[color=#006600][/color]

Wherever 2 or 3 are gathered in His name is the assembly of the brethren not necessarily a church or organization.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by zubixhitechno: 12:34pm On May 08, 2016
The bible says we should not forsake the assembly of brethrens. Is a command from God,so any person that calls himself a christian must go to church. Also not going to church means you are ashemed of being called a born again christian. And Jesus says if u are ashemed of me before men I will be ashemed of U before his father.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by 1Dray(m): 12:34pm On May 08, 2016
matrix199:

....He the same yesterday, today, and forever more.

The God who struck uzzah death just because he tried holding on the ark of covenant is the same God who did nothing to armed robbers who robbed a church in Benin.

Hmm

Maybe you should be asking, is that church really God's church or the founder's family investment?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by kvnqDavie: 12:35pm On May 08, 2016
Bombs have kill-radiuses; churches should have love-radiuses--anyone within twenty miles of a church should know it.I'm just saying..
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Ifeconwaba(m): 12:36pm On May 08, 2016
if you a good christian, you will know that going to church is not only an obligation but a necessity anyone who claim to be a christian, for me it has been a long time now that i havent attended church service. but today i broke the history of not going to church for the past eight months now
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by upnext(m): 12:36pm On May 08, 2016
imposicant
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by CioAngels(f): 12:45pm On May 08, 2016
He could be more of a christian than those of us that goes to church every sunday.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 08, 2016
I am not awestruck at the number of modified personalized Christian beliefs flying all over here. The knowledge of the Scriptures prepares you for weirder days. How you can be a Christian and at the same time disregard church fellowship meetings is an unearthly miracle!
Only in Heaven will church (temple) built by humans cease to exist (Revelation 21:22).

If church wasn't necessary, GOD would never have specifically instructed Moses to build one for Him where He would meet His people constantly. Didn't they all have houses where GOD had been meeting them? (Exodus 25:1-8. ).

Why was JESUS CHRIST whom you claim is your role model a frequent worshipper at the temple (church)? (Matthew 9:35) After condemning the actions of depraved church leaders, He still didn't stop going to church. From childhood till His Ascension He was a regular in church meetings (Luke 2:42-49). After he had whipped those who turned church to market place, he immediately went into the same temple to preach and pray for the sick who received Him with so much joy (Matthew 21:12-15). He never advised His followers afterwards to boycott church meetings because of some deviant Christian leaders.

If church didn't matter as many of you claim, why were the apostles so concerned about starting up many local churches across the world? (Acts 2:46-47; 3:1; 13:1-5; 14:21-23).

Sometimes I wonder how many Christians actually read the Holy Bible. The kind of putrid opinions some Christians express as Biblical truths could drive sane believers mad. However, I am not unaware that some have chosen to join the generation that the Scripture below vividly captures.

2 Timothy 4:3 KJV
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears..."

Where you will spend eternity has absolutely nothing to do with that church leader in whom you are disappointed. If you think it's a butter ride being a church head, then you need a veteran exorcist! You should be more concerned about the moth in your eyes than that of your pastor in order to better your chances of an eternal life in Heaven. Let pastor worry about his journey!

Are you saved?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ivyy(f): 12:48pm On May 08, 2016
bongolistik:
sweetheart can you be a sailor and not go across sea and ocean?

Dear it is necessary to go to church but it doesn't totally determine the authenticity of being an ideal Christian tongue
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by sinto5(m): 12:49pm On May 08, 2016
worshipping God in truth and in spirit is just a mere saying among Christians.
my question now is
WHO IS A CHRISTIAN??

[/quote]
A christian is someone who is saved by the blood of Jesus becos of his/her believe in the resurration and power in Christ, and someone who fellowship with the house of faith.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by bodee(m): 12:49pm On May 08, 2016
uchennaq:
The question should be, is there a part in the Bible that said not going to church every Sunday is a sin?
is there a part in the bible that says masturbation is a sin; Gal 5 says and such sins like this; simply means sins are endless. Disobedience to God's spirit leading is a sin which could be very very personal. The young prophet sinned cos he disobeyed God who told him not to eat... The bible points us to Christ and the spirit reveals our sins to us.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by sammyclassics(m): 12:54pm On May 08, 2016
Good News Translation
John 9:4 As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me; night is coming when no one can work.

If Jesus had stayed at home without preaching in the temple would you have known Christianity ...

Good News Translation
Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up the habit of meeting together, as some are doing. Instead, let us encourage one another all the more, since you see that the Day of the Lord is coming nearer.

If you are a christian and you are not going to church, you just need to rethink and take a stand to attend church.

Your going to church is your major duty as a Christian mind you not only Sunday service.

To conclude a pagan can pay his tithe and God will bless him but that does not mean he will make heaven at the end. God blessing him is because he is obeying the law of prosperity. Therefore knowing God and not going to church is wrong because its our christian duty to attend church.

Thanks just sharing what I know
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ibarapa(m): 12:56pm On May 08, 2016
Have u ever see a brilliant student that ever attend any lectures, grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Skeleton Of Goliath Found...pics / Why Does GOD Allow tragic death? / Do Catholics In Nigeria Actually Confess To Their Priests?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.