Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,817 members, 7,820,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (17581 Views)

RCCG Female Worker Sent Back Home For Wearing This To Church (Photo) / Is It Right To Be A Christian And Join Secret Society?; Pastor Shares Photos / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by smexy(m): 12:56pm On May 08, 2016
Buharism:
Yes u can be a christian without going to church, what makes u a christian is the attribute of living a christ-like life like jesus-christ, which include:
1. Praying
2. Giving alm to the poor
3. Avoiding excessive intake of alchohol
4. Abstainance frm premarital sex
5. Respecting the govt
6. Respecting ur elders
7. Reading the scriptures
8. Loving ur neighbour as u love ur self.
The churches of nowadays are nt helping matters by always choosing to preach PROSPERITY instead of SALVATION.
Lastly if the atheist can make heaven by just obeying the moral commandment in the holy bible, How much more a christian by faith.
You're sooo wrong mahn
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by lordyugo: 1:02pm On May 08, 2016
sammyomal:
From my own personal pespective, i dont think its possible.
Now being a Christian means you are christlike and born again,you are now part of the brethren and
The bible also enjoins us not to forsake the assembly of the brethren.
Also remember the psalmist once said i am glad when they say we should go into the house of the Lord.
So once someone profess to be a christian,there is that inward push in you that makes you see fellowshiping with the brethren as a must.

the idea of church is to reaffirm ur faith in christ through the help of fellow Christians incase u falter as a human being, its not a pre requisite of being a Christian or makn Heaven cos its only U dat can take urself to heaven
be it a moslem ,Christian, atheist , monk etc as long as u love ur neighbor as urself nd always forgive u r christ like.
some pple will say wat of offering and tithes.
tithes is meant for d jews but d pastors wont preach that and offering could translate to helpn d less privileged, motherless babies etc.
church is meant to create dat holistic atmosphere to reaffirm ur faith in christ.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by smexy(m): 1:05pm On May 08, 2016
NDdking:
YES! COS EVRYONE MUST NOT BE A PRETENDER.
so everyone that goes to church is a pretender?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Gabrendo(m): 1:05pm On May 08, 2016
One Q For Your Friend. Are You a Footballer When You don't Play Football? Are You a Surgeon When You don't Perform Surgery? How Can You Be a christian When You don't Go to a Christian Place Of Worship? This Is Purely Deception. There are Atheists Who Live Moral Upright Life. You don't Need to Be a Christian to Be Moral. Religion aids Morality. Morality is not an offspring of Religion. However, In other not to judge, Since Christianity is main focused on Mind. He Could be a Christian In His Mind. But Bible says. Faith without works is death. And Brethren Do not forsake the gatherings of other brethrens. As Iron sharpens iron. Don't Forget Jesus Christ also worshipped in The Temple.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nasiruddeen(m): 1:06pm On May 08, 2016
To a christian, God had to take human form to understand temptation and human suffering, but the concept is not based on any clear words of Jesus. In contrast, God does not need to be tempted and suffer in order to be able to understand and forgive man’s sins, for He is the all knowing Creator of man. This is expressed in the verse:
‘And the Lord said: ‘I have surely seen the affliction of My people that are in Egypt, and I have heard their cry because of their taskmasters; for I know their pains.’ (Exodus 3:7)
God forgave sin before Jesus’ appearance, and He continues to forgive without any assistance. When a believer sins, he may come before God in sincere repentance to receive forgiveness. Indeed, the offer to humble oneself before God and be saved is made to all humankind.
‘And there is no God else beside Me; a just God and a Savior; there is none beside Me. Look to Me, and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is none else.’ (Isaiah 45:21-22, Jonah 3:5-10)
Biblically, people can receive forgiveness of sins through sincere repentance sought directly from God. This is true at all times and in all places. There has never been a need for the so-called inter cessionary role Jesus plays in attaining atonement. The facts speak for themselves. There is no truth to the Christian belief that Jesus died for our sins and salvation is only through Jesus. What about the salvation of people before Jesus? Jesus’ death brings neither atonement from sin, nor is it in any way a fulfillment of biblical prophecy.
Christians claim that in the birth of Jesus, there occurred the miracle of the incarnation of God in the form of a human being. To say that God became truly a human being invites a number of questions. Let us ask the following about the man-God Jesus. What happened to his foreskin after his circumcision (Luke 2:21) ?
Did it ascend to heaven, or did it decompose as with any human piece of flesh? During his lifetime what happened to his hair, nails, and blood shed from wounds? Did the cells of his body die as in ordinary human beings? If his body did not function in a truly human way, he could not be truly human as well as truly God. Yet, if his body functioned exactly in a human way, this would nullify any claim to divinity. It would be impossible for any part of God, even if incarnate, to decompose in any way and still be considered God. The everlasting, one God, in whole or in part, does not die, disintegrate, or decompose: ‘For I the Lord do not change.’ (Malachi 3:6)
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by dissybling(f): 1:08pm On May 08, 2016
going to church and being a Christian go together, dere are some mystery behind the Holy book dat one might not know,one ought to go to church in order to gain understanding abt dis tins
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by cardoctor(m): 1:10pm On May 08, 2016
Of course.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by iamkingzlee(m): 1:10pm On May 08, 2016
Yes. of course!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Obynolee(f): 1:11pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:
Good morning nairalanders, happy Sunday, happy new month, happy workers day.

Now to the topic, I have a pal who does not attend church at all, but believes he's a christian because he prays and believes Jesus is Lord. He doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't commit sexual sin. But the only issue is he doesn't attend church. People say he is deceived and not a christian at all. I'm confused can you actually be a christian and not go to church?

Going to Church doesn't make you a Christian, what is the name of the Church Christ or his disciples established?,Biblically, going to Church doesn't automatically guaranteed you a place in heaven and your not going to Church does not automatically denied you a place in heaven. In fact, the Bible made us to understand that our body is God's temple not the physical structure that's meant to protect us from harsh weather (sun and rain).Why pastors makes us feel guilt if we don't go to Church is because that is their "shop", the people in a Church, the more offerings and tithes (more money) not that they are really consigned about your eternal life.Yes your friend can be a better Christian by not going to Church
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by smexy(m): 1:13pm On May 08, 2016
lordyugo:

the idea of church is to reaffirm ur faith in christ through the help of fellow Christians incase u falter as a human being, its not a pre requisite of being a Christian or makn Heaven cos its only U dat can take urself to heaven
be it a moslem ,Christian, atheist , monk etc as long as u love ur neighbor as urself nd always forgive u r christ like.
tithes is meant for d jews but d pastors wont preach that and offering could translate to helpn d less privileged, motherless babies etc.
church is meant to create dat holistic atmosphere to reaffirm ur faith in christ.
he never said church going is a pre requisite to making heaven. All he said is that there is this inexplicable urge of wanting to fellowship with other brethren.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Gabrendo(m): 1:14pm On May 08, 2016
lordyugo:

I Do not agree With You On the Issue Of Tithes and Offerings. Tithes is Not for Jews Only. Except Christianity Is for Jews Only And Christianity is Not Judaism by the Way. Tithe Is Givin God a Portion (10 Percent) of Your income. If You Believe God made provision for that Income. Offerings are to foster the progression of the church. And All are not Compulsory. Out Of Your Volition and Sympathy You could give to the needy. Its has notin to do wit the Church.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by fromnigeria(m): 1:14pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:

Now to the topic, I have a pal who does not attend church at all, but believes he's a christian because he prays and believes Jesus is Lord. He doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't commit sexual sin. But the only issue is he doesn't attend church. People say he is deceived and not a christian at all. I'm confused can you actually be a christian and not go to church?
Just like being a native doctor and not having or visiting your shrine.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by donbabajeff(m): 1:23pm On May 08, 2016
This question is a very vast one because the bible talks about not forsaking the gathering of brethren and also the sabath day.But nowadays I don't think we still have brethren in church,when talking of occult men/believing unbelievers are now in the church.The ministers are now after enriching themselves,the truth is no more told!! But I feel the best church is in your heart,do the right thing!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by smexy(m): 1:25pm On May 08, 2016
ibarapa:
Have u ever see a brilliant student that ever attend any lectures, grin
weird analogy

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by j64real(m): 1:26pm On May 08, 2016
emilil:
remove number 3, even jesus turn ed water into wine
it reads excessive intake......
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by bukkielee(m): 1:34pm On May 08, 2016
emilil:
remove number 3, even jesus turned water into wine
wine with low alcoholic content(%).
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by victorjoe(m): 1:34pm On May 08, 2016
Buharism:
Yes u can be a christian without going to church, what makes u a christian is the attribute of living a christ-like life like jesus-christ, which include:
1. Praying
2. Giving alm to the poor
3. Avoiding excessive intake of alchohol
4. Abstainance frm premarital sex
5. Respecting the govt
6. Respecting ur elders
7. Reading the scriptures
8. Loving ur neighbour as u love ur self.
The churches of nowadays are nt helping matters by always choosing to preach PROSPERITY instead of SALVATION.
Lastly if the atheist can make heaven by just obeying the moral commandment in the holy bible, How much more a christian by faith.

How about paying your tithe? Where does "he" pay to?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Olasam12(m): 1:38pm On May 08, 2016
What is church?
To my own understanding, i believe church is people of God coming together to study his word and get developed spiritually and in all areas of life.God says where two or three gather in his name, there he is. Church is the gathering where preaching of salvation is paramount.
The place where earthly things is taken above heavenly things is not church.
A gathering where you do not feel saved from the sins is not church. A place where the rich are intentionaly taken away from poor is not church.It is funny and contradicting when a nation with high number of churches experiences harsh poverty.Church is place where you are make whole in God. What is christianity?
Christianity simply means living your life the way christ lived his life on earth.Are you a true chrisitian?Do you know that going to synagogues(church) was part of Jesus Christ our saviour? (read Matt. 4:23, Mark 1:21, 3:1-5)
Look at the man with withered hand who was heal by Jesus.Assume he is in his closet, will he be healed?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Tonymic4life(m): 1:42pm On May 08, 2016
For me. Church is d gathering of two or more people to achieve a common purpose ( to serve God). Church is never a building or structure of any sort. We make up d church. We can decide to gather under a tree to worship God dats d church. It we christains dat confuse it. God never comissioned any building rather he commissioned humans (Peter). Even b4 d pentecost d apostles gathered in a room which can b likened to a church cos of d persons nt d building. Buijdings 4 churches r just there to house brethrens against harsh whether conditions like rain,harmattan and sun and also to make worship kinda comfortable. To ur question @op. U c, i believe people saying church is in d heart r just deceiving themselves, if u investigate dem properly, u wud find out dat some were disappointed at one point or d other by their churches wen dey were needed d most. Yes, it hurts so much if after working in a house of God and d persons in positions there refuses to help. It's bad. Buh, u can't justify an evil by doing a greater one. If we have d notion dat it's God we r serving nt some man or woman den we wud see things differently. I want to ask, if we say church is in d heart and 4 dat refuses to fellowship in d church,den where is education @, where is success @,etc. Cos these also shud b somewhere in our body, mayb our mind,eyes,brain,or even heart self yet we go to school to b educated,we work hard in our work place to b successful. U knw something about Nigerians,we fine tune situations to suit us and 4get d ideal thing. Church (nt d building) is very necessary to help us live a Christlike life. Some members might b weak in their faith, so d stronger ones help dem wit their faith so dey can journey together to their common destination. D bible told us to fellowship together, also d Bible said wen 2 or more r gathered in my name, i'm in their midst. Remember iron sharpens iron. Choi my hand don dey pain me, make i stop hia abeg. Pls, 4give any grammatical errors, or misspelt words. Just get d message. Happy sunday!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Kelvinkipler(m): 1:47pm On May 08, 2016
A question like this comes up and people start blasting the church and stating how much they have deviated from the gospel. Please people,i suggest we should endeavor to stick to the topic. Better still, if you have complaints about the church, go open yours.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ewizard1: 1:54pm On May 08, 2016
CCC - Christians Contradicting Christians!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by solreb: 1:55pm On May 08, 2016
Buharism:
The pope said it nt me, that atheists can make heaven provided they love their neighbour as they love theirself. http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ssf/2015/12/pope_francis_offers_hope_to_fa.html.
http://www.bustle.com/articles/131998-pope-francis-says-atheists-can-go-to-heaven-so-you-can-breathe-a-sigh-of-relief

It is not what the pope or pastor or prophet or a GO says that a Christian should live by but what is written in the Word of God (Bible). How can an atheist make it to heaven (kingdom of God) when he does not believe in God! Now one of the ways to develop our Christian life is by going to church (listening to sermons, Bible study, etc). The Bible says iron sharpens iron. Stay blessed
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by emmasege: 1:58pm On May 08, 2016
Can you be a fish and not live in a water body?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Shikena(m): 1:58pm On May 08, 2016
What if I fellowship solely by watching and participating in church service online or on TV while I give back to God simply by giving a chunk of my income to the poor, the needy and charities?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ewizard1: 1:58pm On May 08, 2016
I read some comments and wonder if the commenter has got any brain!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by emilil(m): 1:59pm On May 08, 2016
bukkielee:
wine with low alcoholic content(%).
why are u alive till now if u were alive the time it happened to say whether it was low on alcoholic content or not
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by femi4: 2:01pm On May 08, 2016
Christian = Christ like
Did Jesus observe the Sabbath?
Answer: yes, he did. Infact he healed on the Sabbath day in the synagogue and called himself Lord of the Sabbath
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by tomakint: 2:05pm On May 08, 2016
sammyomal:
From my own personal pespective, i dont think its possible.
Now being a Christian means you are christlike and born again,you are now part of the brethren and
The bible also enjoins us not to forsake the assembly of the brethren.
Also remember the psalmist once said i am glad when they say we should go into the house of the Lord.
So once someone profess to be a christian,there is that inward push in you that makes you see fellowshiping with the brethren as a must.
You lost me completely does that mean "Church" is the only place you can meet "assembly of the brethren"?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by paxonel(m): 2:10pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:

as a matter of fact, Jesus never wanted us to be christians in order for us us to be going to church.
The wanted us to be christians so that we will have eternal life.
John 4:21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain(a place of worship for samaritans in those ), nor yet at Jerusalem(a place of worship for the jews where Solomon's temple was located), worship the Father.
This also applied to the place of worship for christians which are church buildings today.
John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
so, your friend who don't go to church is a typical example of a person who worship God in spirit and in truth, not in buildings called church.
God seek such people
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Fabulous7(m): 2:18pm On May 08, 2016
2kaybiel:
Going to church every Sunday doesn't make one a Christian. the Bible is Christian standard which many churches have deviated from. believing Jesus Christ is the fundamental thing in every person that called himself a Christian. churches of these days are fulled and filled with moral decadence. many girls dressing provocatively to church and pastors in charge will not send them back just because of what they want. all kinds of association you will find in churches. songs sang in these days churches are not glorifying God again. Jesus Christ said "seek ye first the kingdom of God and it's righteousness and all other things shall be added onto you " .
the other things here is what churches /pastors/church members are seeking first, winning souls is not their priority.

money, fame, position etc are what people are looking for these days.

worshipping God in truth and in spirit is just a mere saying among Christians.
my question now is
WHO IS A CHRISTIAN??

A christian is an individual that is born again with the word of God and the holy spirit john 3:5
A christian is an individual that shows he accepted the gospel by getting baptized mark 16:15-16
A christian an individual that God is in control of his life prov.23:26
A christian is an individual that his body is under the control of God roman 12:1

Back to the topic the bible say we should not neglect the fellowship of brethren; so there is no need for a Godly christian not go to church.AFTER ALL CHRIST DO WORSHIP IN THE SYNAGOGUE AND ALSO HIS DISCIPLE FOLLOW SUIT WHEN THEY WERE ON EARTH.READ THE BOOK OF THE GOSPEL IN THE BIBLE TO GET MORE OF THIS.
S H A L O M.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by mysteryman2014: 2:20pm On May 08, 2016
No. Heb. 10:25, says otherwise, do not forsake gathering of fellow believers.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by paxonel(m): 2:22pm On May 08, 2016
2kaybiel:
Going to church every Sunday doesn't make one a Christian. the Bible is Christian standard which many churches have deviated from. believing Jesus Christ is the fundamental thing in every person that called himself a Christian. churches of these days are fulled and filled with moral decadence. many girls dressing provocatively to church and pastors in charge will not send them back just because of what they want. all kinds of association you will find in churches. songs sang in these days churches are not glorifying God again. Jesus Christ said "seek ye first the kingdom of God and it's righteousness and all other things shall be added onto you " .
the other things here is what churches /pastors/church members are seeking first, winning souls is not their priority.

money, fame, position etc are what people are looking for these days.

worshipping God in truth and in spirit is just a mere saying among Christians.
my question now is
WHO IS A CHRISTIAN??

a Christian is anybody in Christianity and not in any other religion.
And what qualifies a person to be in the Christian religion?
1. by birth: that is, if the person is born into a Christian family.
2. the moment the person believe that Jesus is the Christ(assuming he was in other religions like islam or athiesm or whatever ), from that moment his believe has made him join the christian religion in his heart, he may not necessarily be going to church, at that point he is saved automatically .
Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Common Words In *speaking In Tongues* / The Skeleton Of Goliath Found...pics / Why Does GOD Allow tragic death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.