Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,750 members, 7,820,587 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:42 PM

Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (17575 Views)

RCCG Female Worker Sent Back Home For Wearing This To Church (Photo) / Is It Right To Be A Christian And Join Secret Society?; Pastor Shares Photos / Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Goshen360(m): 2:30pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:
Good morning nairalanders, happy Sunday, happy new month, happy workers day.

Now to the topic, I have a pal who does not attend church at all, but believes he's a christian because he prays and believes Jesus is Lord. He doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't commit sexual sin. But the only issue is he doesn't attend church. People say he is deceived and not a christian at all. I'm confused can you actually be a christian and not go to church?

The church is NOT the building according to the word of God. The church is the "called out" ones. You are called out from the world into the family of God when your repent and believe the Lord Jesus.

You can't call out a building and a building can't repent. When you're called out, you are supposed to fellowship with other called out one and that could be one or two according to the word of God.

The meaning of "church" today is loosed and lost that's why you're told to come to church. YOU, BEING A CHURCH CANNOT GO TO A CHURCH. YOU, BEING A CHURCH CAN ONLY FELLOWSHIP WITH OTHER CHURCHES.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by jamace(m): 2:31pm On May 08, 2016
Why is it that brothers/ brethren in leadership positions steal money and deny the same brothers and brethren what is rightfully theirs?

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by just2okworld(f): 3:01pm On May 08, 2016
Jamb kweshion
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Rushtec(m): 3:04pm On May 08, 2016
WHAT I CAN DEDUCE IS THE EACH EVERY XTAIN HAS UNIQUE WAYS OF BELIEVE. SINCE THE BIBLE CAN BE DIVIDED INTO OLD AND NEW AND THE SAME BIBLE SAID THE WORD OF THE LORD STANDS FOREVER...... TO THE JEHOVAH, WITNESS, WHO ARE CHRISTIANS cry cry cry cry
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ademi87(m): 3:29pm On May 08, 2016
Going to church and/or staying at home to study the Bible is like.... Calling ur girlfriend on phone and/or going to her place to spend time with her
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Ritajovy(f): 3:43pm On May 08, 2016
As a Christian.......U re supposed to go to church...D church, physically may be a building.....buh we re actually d church....Jes lyk d bible says, we are members/parts dat make up d whole unit.....So if ur friend doesn't wnt to go to church, He is depriving d system frm bcoming a whole unit; cos he is a part dat makes up d system..
Going to church is essential!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by damocool(m): 3:46pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:

Now to the topic, I have a pal who does not attend church at all, but believes he's a christian because he prays and believes Jesus is Lord. He doesn't drink alcohol, doesn't commit sexual sin. But the only issue is he doesn't attend church. People say he is deceived and not a christian at all. I'm confused can you actually be a christian and not go to church?

Read your Bible bro, and I don't think it's right for you asking just anyone opinion about going or not going to fellowship as a Christian ( GENUINELY BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN THOUGH )
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by skywalker001(m): 3:48pm On May 08, 2016
It's very possible. Like me now am a good xtian bt I dnt go to church because av neva seen a church dat always preach about salvation and how someone can make heaven. All they do preach about is breakthrough and how you can make millions of naira. Church has now turn to business school... I rest my case
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by damocool(m): 4:08pm On May 08, 2016
skywalker001:
It's very possible. Like me now am a good xtian bt I dnt go to church because av neva seen a church dat always preach about SALVATION and how someone can make heaven. All they do preach about is breakthrough and how you can make millions of naira. Church has now turn to business school... I rest my case
your assertion isn't right bro, how many churches/denominations have you being to in the country.. Mind you no church can force you to part with your money if you're not interested in giving out, so you've got no justification of not worshiping with your fellow Christians. Mind you letters written by Paul were directed to church and not individuals... Being a good Christian as you professed! You need to read your Bible brotherman..
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by zyzxx(m): 4:11pm On May 08, 2016
The cahnce is very slim
So it looks Imposible
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by ayo527(m): 4:24pm On May 08, 2016
orunto27:
God is a Spirit. Go to any Corner of your House, speak to him in Secret and you will get His Response. That secret corner is your meeting Place with God and is a Church.

nice one jhor!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by harsysky(m): 4:27pm On May 08, 2016
There is a way that seemeth right to a man but the end is death. Your friend is could learn a lot more going to church. He would learn the art of fellowshipping with brethrens, helping a brethren whose faith is diminishing. There are a lot of things he could do with other same-minded people like himself.

It may or may not be a criteria to making heaven. It's God's to judge but when you have love in you, you will see the need to go out there to help your fellow christians and other unbelievers.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 4:34pm On May 08, 2016
zubixhitechno:
The bible says we should not forsake the assembly of brethrens. Is a command from God,so any person that calls himself a christian must go to church. Also not going to church means you are ashemed of being called a born again christian. And Jesus says if u are ashemed of me before men I will be ashemed of U before his father.

This is not from the 10 commandment. By the way I rather avoid the gathering of wolves in sheeps clothing these days.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Image123(m): 4:36pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:

It's a dicey question, like saying can one be educated without going to school, or can one be treated/well without going to the hospital? Best practice is not to forsake the assembling of ourselves. There are however cases where it may be a tough choice like if one is in prison or incapacitated by sickness for instance, can such follow Christ? They can but those are exceptional cases and not best practices.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by bee444: 4:39pm On May 08, 2016
YungMike:

Nice one bro. Buh don't you think becoming a Christian simply means being a part of God's family?
The Christian life was never meant to be lived solo, God has gifted each member of his church to serve one another, you can’t do that solo.

Don't you think God's family are meant to be family who can help you in time of needs? Beothers in Church are the worst when it comes to helping other people. They would rather give tithes and offering to the service of men than helping that brother who haven't eaten for two days.

I believe I am a good Christian. I attend Church once in a while. I dont like the politics in our modern Churches.

A brother recently went to his previous church and ask to be helped. He needed money to add to the one he already had to buy flight ticket to the US. This brother served this Church since he was a baby, and moved to a more youth friendly church recently. The Pastor of the Church refused him the money he asked for saying that since the brother doesnt attend the Church anymore, he wont help. The brother cried uncontrolable in the pastors presence, yet, the pastor remain defiant and refused the brother the money. The Church is a very big Church with branches all over the world.

Now tell me, if outsiders could buy the ticket for this brother, what more is the need of todays Churches?

WWJD in this brother's case? Of course he would give him the money. Eye service is what is left in today's churche, and I am too sane to be deceived.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 4:40pm On May 08, 2016
bodee:
is there a part in the bible that says masturbation is a sin; Gal 5 says and such sins like this; simply means sins are endless. Disobedience to God's spirit leading is a sin which could be very very personal. The young prophet sinned cos he disobeyed God who told him not to eat... The bible points us to Christ and the spirit reveals our sins to us.

I quote you very very wrong, stop deceiving people. Masturbation is not even totally wrong depending on how you see it. Masturbation is caused by sinful lust of the flesh which makes one engage in such act, which can be tagged a sin because the person is not married. Masturbation can be done with your wife to kick start your sexual activity or life with your wife(partner) ordained by the church. IS THIS A SIN?

Go and read the 10 commandment God gave us. keep to it. Even I doubt if smoking is a sin.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 4:42pm On May 08, 2016
zyzxx:
The chance is very slim
So it looks Impossible[b][/b]

LIES..
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by brajy(m): 4:43pm On May 08, 2016
can u be a farmer without having any farming instrument? NEVER!
Therefore there is no how u can call ur self a Christian without going to church.
D bible says; remember d Sabbath day and make it holy. how can u make it holy by just sitting down at home? u can only make it only by going to church to worship our lord Jesus Christ. listen to sermon,nd contributing money to d church.
so,if u ar having this mentality of being a xtian without going to church you are simply deceiving yaself. PERIOD!
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by zyzxx(m): 4:46pm On May 08, 2016
uchennaq:

LIES..
truth

The more u knw God d more
Go to Church bro
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 4:48pm On May 08, 2016
LETS SAY, I FIND MYSELF IN A COUNTRY WERE CHRISTIANITY IS NOT ALLOWED LET ALONE ATTENDING CHURCHES, BUT IN MY HEART I AM A CHRISTIAN, I LOVE GOD AND OBEY HIS 10 COMMANDMENT. DURING JUDGMENT DAY, HOW WILL GOD JUDGE ME THAT DIDN'T HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY OF GOING TO CHURCH AND THE PEOPLE THAT ALSO LIVE A CHRISTLIKE LIFE BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO ASSOCIATE THEMSELVES WITH THE CHURCH?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by jokymoon(m): 4:59pm On May 08, 2016
Hebrew 10 vs 25 says it all..i quote "" do not neglect the assembling of d brethren""
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 5:10pm On May 08, 2016
jokymoon:
Hebrew 10 vs 25 says it all..i quote "" do not neglect the assembling of d brethren""

Good it did not say YOU MUST NOT ELSE YOU WON'T MAKE HEAVEN
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 08, 2016
How many times will i see this kind of thread??
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Austin234(m): 5:19pm On May 08, 2016
U cannot be a christian and yet u do not attend church. If u are a christian, u must behave like Christ by attemding church. The Bible said, as it was in His custom, he entered into d synagogue.

Frm here, it can be deduced that Jesus went to church because its one of his custom. U shud form it as a habit

Buharism:
Yes u can be a christian without going to church, what makes u a christian is the attribute of living a christ-like life like jesus-christ, which include:
1. Praying
2. Giving alm to the poor
3. Avoiding excessive intake of alchohol
4. Abstainance frm premarital sex
5. Respecting the govt
6. Respecting ur elders
7. Reading the scriptures
8. Loving ur neighbour as u love ur self.
The churches of nowadays are nt helping matters by always choosing to preach PROSPERITY instead of SALVATION.
Lastly if the atheist can make heaven by just obeying the moral commandment in the holy bible, How much more a christian by faith.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by orunto27: 5:23pm On May 08, 2016
Yes
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by uchennaq(m): 5:25pm On May 08, 2016
Austin234:
U cannot be a christian and yet u do not attend church. If u are a christian, u must behave like Christ by attemding church. The Bible said, as it was in His custom, he entered into d synagogue.

Frm here, it can be deduced that Jesus went to church because its one of his custom. U shud form it as a habit

Oga sorry.. Christlike life doesn't have anything to do with going to church.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by Shafiiimran99: 6:01pm On May 08, 2016
Did Jesus go to church?
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by oluadedamola: 6:12pm On May 08, 2016
Do not forsake the gathering of the brethren its in the bible
Buharism:
Yes u can be a christian without going to church, what makes u a christian is the attribute of living a christ-like life like jesus-christ, which include:
1. Praying
2. Giving alm to the poor
3. Avoiding excessive intake of alchohol
4. Abstainance frm premarital sex
5. Respecting the govt
6. Respecting ur elders
7. Reading the scriptures
8. Loving ur neighbour as u love ur self.
The churches of nowadays are nt helping matters by always choosing to preach PROSPERITY instead of SALVATION.
Lastly if the atheist can make heaven by just obeying the moral commandment in the holy bible, How much more a christian by faith.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by oluadedamola: 6:14pm On May 08, 2016
Its in the bible....Do not forsake the gathering of the brethren. The gathering of the people of God, the place is the church
uchennaq:

Oga sorry.. Christlike life doesn't have anything to do with going to church.
Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by udoh2k: 6:18pm On May 08, 2016
I hv gone thru comments on this thread, and appears majority hv lost confidence in today's churches and pastors; but the truth still remains that there are real pastors and churches.

You may not go to Church to become a Christian or make heaven. But you should go to bible-believing church to continue as Christian. Heb 10:25 commanded we should not forsake fellowship.

Fellowship or church or assembly means d same thing because there must a leader.. pastor or evangelist or prophet or apostle... they are not all fake. The bible said they are for perfecting (maturing) the saints (Christians) Eph 4.11.

As a Christian you may not attend fellowship if u want to remain an immature Christian! It is like saying you can stay at home to study instead of enrolling in school to be taught by experienced lecturers.

At least I hv not found elements of falsehood in Kumuyi or Adeboye. You can join dem.

1 Like

Re: Can You Be A Christian And Not Go To Church? by oluadedamola: 6:21pm On May 08, 2016
The church are the people, they gather in a place. Thats why the bible tells us not to forsake the gathering of the people
Goshen360:

The church is NOT the building according to the word of God. The church is the "called out" ones. You are called out from the world into the family of God when your repent and believe the Lord Jesus.

You can't call out a building and a building can't repent. When you're called out, you are supposed to fellowship with other called out one and that could be one or two according to the word of God.

The meaning of "church" today is loosed and lost that's why you're told to come to church. YOU, BEING A CHURCH CANNOT GO TO A CHURCH. YOU, BEING A CHURCH CAN ONLY FELLOWSHIP WITH OTHER CHURCHES.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why Do Young People Dance Like Maddog In Club & Parties But Act Cool In Church? / Commercial Driver Prays As A Muslim, Christian And Traditionalist Before A Trip / Disobedience To Husband And Issue Of Attending Different Churches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.