Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

Lets Talk About Swimming. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lets Talk About Swimming. (21075 Views)

Jude Ighalo, His Wife And Kids Go Swimming (Photos) / Fans React As Cristiano Ronaldo Shares Swimming Pool Photo With Black "Friend" / Fikayo Idowu Is Dead. Drowns While Swimming With Friends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:25am On May 02, 2016
Swimming is the self-propulsion of a person through water or another liquid, usually for recreation, sport, exercise, or survival. Locomotion is achieved through coordinated movement of the limbs, the body, or both.

Swimming is consistently among top public recreational activities, and in some countries, swimming lessons are a compulsory part of the educational curriculum. As a formalized sport, swimming features in a range of local, national, and international competitions, including every modern summer Olympics, which takes place every four years.
Here are some fun facts about swimming we probably don't know.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:25am On May 02, 2016
1. In Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Estonia and Finland, the curriculum for the fifth grade (fourth grade in Estonia) states that all children should learn how to swim as well as how to handle emergencies near water. Most commonly, children are expected to be able to swim 200 metres(660)ft of which at least 50 metres(160 ft) on their back after first falling into deep water and getting their head under water. Even though about 95 percent of Swedish school children know how to swim, drowning remains the third most common cause of death among children.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_swimming?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2561313325

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:25am On May 02, 2016
2. Your ability to float is determined by your body composition. In other words if you are lean and muscular and have a low or even normal body fat percentage, you will more than likely sink. If you have a higher body fat percentage then you will more than likely float. Human muscle is denser and therefore less buoyant than fat. Fat contains water and oil and is less dense and therefore floats well. Also your upper body will float better and for longer because your lungs contain air which helps keep it up, whereas your legs will be there first part to sink.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:47am On May 02, 2016
3. The most popular freestyle stroke is the crawl, considered the fastest stroke.

4. The bikini swimsuit was named after a U.S. nuclear testing site in the South Pacific called Bikini Atoll.

5. 65% of people in the U.S. don’t know how to swim.

6. An hour of vigorous swimming will burn up to 650 calories. It burns off more calories than walking or biking.

7. Swimming strengthens the heart and lungs.

8. Swimming works out all of the body’s major muscles. Swimming helps reduce stress.

9. Most swimmers at the highest levels of competition train from four to five hours per day and five to seven days per week. They will typically swim about six to twelve miles per day along with weight training and flexibility training.

10. An Olympic size pool depending on its size (50 meters X 25 yards or meters) can hold from 700,000 to 850,000 gallons of water.

11. Florida is the only state with legislation on who can teach swimming. Life guards and swimming instructors must, by law, be certified.

12. As with any other type of exercise you need to stay hydrated while swimming and you need to drink water. Your core body temperature can rise as the activity increases. Your body also produces sweat as it does with other physical activity, but it is not as apparent since you arealready wet.

13. Swimming first became an Olympic event in 1896, but women were able to participate starting in 1912.

source: http://www.swimmingpool.com/games-safety/pool-fun/fun-facts

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by ObiOkpor(m): 6:49am On May 02, 2016
Me, swimming,water are enemies. Explorer.catch you later in your next thread. Am outta here.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:50am On May 02, 2016
14. Ancient drawings and paintings found in Egypt depicting people swimming date back to 2500 BCE.

3 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:53am On May 02, 2016
15. Swim fins were invented by Benjamin Franklin.

5 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Oche211(m): 6:53am On May 02, 2016
I am Here. Let's explore together

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:53am On May 02, 2016
ObiOkpor:
Me, swimming,water are enemies.
Explorer.catch you later in your next thread. Am outta here.

Lol.
Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 6:59am On May 02, 2016
16. The Titanic was the first ocean liner to have a swimming pool and a gym.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by 7footre(m): 7:07am On May 02, 2016
Try as much as I have to learn how to swim, the fear of drowning won't let me... I would love to learn it though

3 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 7:08am On May 02, 2016
17. Swimming is a good way to lose weight. This form of exercise will stimulate your entire body and could lead to an increase in metabolism over time. If you are trying to lose weight, swim for at least twenty minutes three or four times each week.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 7:17am On May 02, 2016
7footre:
Try as much as I have to learn how to swim, the fear of drowning won't let me... I would love to learn it though

Driving is scary if you cant. But the moment you conquer your fear and start learning, you realise there's nothing in driving. If you really want to learn, you have to face the fear and start from a shallow pool.

15 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by ichommy(m): 7:28am On May 02, 2016
Signing On.
*Open Notepad*

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 7:30am On May 02, 2016
18. More than 17% of swimmers pee in pools.

19. 85% of swimming pools are sanitized using chlorine.

20. More than 35% of people jumps in the pool without showering first.

5 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 7:30am On May 02, 2016
21. Children can take swim lessons as early as 12 months.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 7:35am On May 02, 2016
22. Freedivers can hold their breath for more than 10 minutes.

How long can you hold your breath? If you are like most people, you start to feel panicked at about 30 seconds. People in good health and with proper training can hang on for at least 2 minutes. Freedivers take the cake. A freediver can hold his/her breath for as long as 10 minutes. The world record for breath-holding is 22 minutes, which is currently held by Stig Severinsen.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Houseofglam7(f): 7:35am On May 02, 2016
This is front page worthy but since it ain't about Tiwa and Tee Billz, I ain't so sure

9 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by donephi(m): 8:06am On May 02, 2016
Houseofglam7:
This is front page worthy but since it ain't about Tiwa and Tee Billz, I ain't so sure
Informative

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by surestakes: 8:13am On May 02, 2016
Explorers:
2. Your ability to float is determined by your body composition. In other words if you are lean and muscular and have a low or even normal body fat percentage, you will more than likely sink. If you have a higher body fat percentage then you will more than likely float. Human muscle is denser and therefore less buoyant than fat. Fat contains water and oil and is less dense and therefore floats well. Also your upper body will float better and for longer because your lungs contain air which helps keep it up, whereas your legs will be there first part to sink.

I disagree with this. To float, all you need to be able to do is control your breath. If you doubt, let's meet up with one of your skinny friends and I will teach him/her to float.

grin

4 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 8:17am On May 02, 2016
surestakes:

I disagree with this. To float, all you need to be able to do is control your breath. If you doubt, let's meet up with one of your skinny friends and I will teach him/her to float.

grin

Let me come for the lesson myself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 8:20am On May 02, 2016
23. Swimmers can flex their toes to the ground.

Foot and ankle flexion is important for swim performance, which means swimmers work hard on increasing the toe-point. Swimmers can sit down with their legs stretched out in front of them and point their toes all the way down to the ground.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by surestakes: 8:22am On May 02, 2016
Explorers:

Let me come for the lesson myself.

I thought you already know how to swim.

Explorers:

If you really want to learn, you have to face the fear and start from a shallow pool.

Why you come dey give advice?

Oya, time and place?
Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 8:22am On May 02, 2016
24. On average 1850 swimmers will make it to the Olympic trials. Of those swimmers, nearly 50 of them will actually make the Olympic swim team.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 8:31am On May 02, 2016
surestakes:

I thought you already know how to swim.

Why you come dey give advice?

Oya, time and place?

Because no matter how perfect you are in anything, someone somewhere is better. We learn everyday.

The picture below, if you believe you can can swim, these girls are "Winch" in swimming. They call it synchronized.

9 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by surestakes: 8:33am On May 02, 2016
Explorers:

Because no matter how perfect you are in anything, someone somewhere is better. We learn everyday.

The picture below, if you believe you can can swim, these girls are "Winch" in swimming. They call it synchronized.

Ogbeni, those girls do it for the money. I just LOVE swimming though. Once I am in the pool, I can't get out

7 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 8:37am On May 02, 2016
25. The world’s youngest internationally competitive swimmer is only 10.

In 2015, at the age of 10, Alzain Tareq became the world’s youngest competitive swimmer in a World Championships. The Bahrainian girl competed against swimmers who were twice her age. She finished her 50-meter butterfly meet in 41.13 seconds.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/15-weird-swimmer-facts/?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C1934409015

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Explorers(m): 8:51am On May 02, 2016
26. Diana Nyad swam from Cuba to Florida.Then 64-year-old Diana Nyad became the first person ever to swim the 103-mile from Cuba to Florida. Nyad had attempted the swim at least six times prior to her record-breaking swim.

Endurance-swimming grandmother Diana Nyad finally reached shore following her record-breaking journey of 103 miles from Cuba to the Florida Keys. The 64-year-old achieved her life-long dream after four failed attempts(1978, 2011, 2012) completing the grueling swim in 52 hours, 54 minutes and 18.6seconds, to tell her millions of fans: 'Never evergive up.' Looking dazed and sunburned, Ms Nyad walked on to the Key West shore on Monday, becoming the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida without the help of a shark cage. As she approached, spectators surrounded her in the shallow waters, taking pictures and cheering her on as she limped on to Smathers Beach.Once on the beach, she was put on a stretcher and received medical treatment, including an IV. Her lips were swollen.

*.President Obama tweeted: 'Congratulations to @DianaNyad. Never give up on your dreams'

source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408478/Diana-Nyad-64-set-break-record-103-mile-swim-Cuba-Florida-shark-cage.html

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Nobody: 9:00am On May 02, 2016
When the explorers strike again!..... grin

#fflwing

1 Like

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by tk4rd: 9:24am On May 02, 2016
How I wish I can swim like professionals.
Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by pamcode(m): 9:49am On May 02, 2016
I love swimming but i havent had the opportunity to learn it.

2 Likes

Re: Lets Talk About Swimming. by Funjosh(m): 9:52am On May 02, 2016
I love swimming cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NFF Plans To Snatch Saka From England / Joseph Yobo: Why We Visited To Buhari / Serie A: Oliseh Advises Osimhen To Quit Napoli Over Tiktok Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.