Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,543 members, 7,819,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

Love Don't Cost A Thing. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love Don't Cost A Thing. (32560 Views)

It Costs A Thing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 8:00am On May 07, 2016
****CONTINUATION****

[b]He was called John Agabus. He was twenty four, and only two years older than me then. Being so close to his own age, he made me feel that i had a brother in Ilogbo village.

Later in the evening when i invited him to my house i asked him the questions i had been dying to ask him.

"Who are the people staying in the house up there on the hill, and why do they appear more privileged than people like us who live under the hill?."

It was a question that made John sigh first before answering me.

"Richard, my friend. I am not surprised that you ask such a question. I myself asked that questions many times, but never got any satisfying answer. The legend is that, the government built that house on top of the hill during the first republic as a sort of hideaway for aching presidential limbs".

"You don't mean it, John," i interrupted.

"I know of the presidential retreat at Lagos, but nothing like this here in Ilogbo village."

John looked up pitifully at me as if to say[/b] you don't know anything. "i had never heard of any such place in Ilogbo village myself, but when i came here last year, i had reason to believe it.

Anyway if you keep interrupting me like that, i might never finish telling you the story about this place".

"I am sorry John," I apologised to my teacher friend.
"Go on."

"Like i was saying, that house was constructed as a presendential retreat and has all the modern facilities. A big generator that supplies electricity, a water treating plant that takes water from the stream here and processes it for the use of the inhabitants. Indeed, every facility that you could find in a modern house in a city is up there."
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 4:15pm On May 07, 2016
****CONTINUATION****

[b]"I see," I could not hide my surprise.

"For some reason," John continued, "the government decided that it would no longer use the building for the purposes it was initially built and earmarked for. A whole string of people therefore started coming to live there for only brief periods of time. They included government ministers, company heads, directors, business magnates or tycoon, and what have you".

"And as we poor people languished in abject hardships, sufferings and poverty down here, they enjoyed themselves up there, shinning their lights at us".

"But why hasn't any of the inhabitants of Ilogbo village gone up there to find out things for himself?" I asked.

"Who dares go up there? The place is guarded by a policeman at all times. An armed policeman! And as we hear, there are more armed policemen in there - guarding what only God knows."

" A story was told of how a young man decided to see what the buildings was made of. He took his father ten years old suzuki motorcycle and off he went up the hills. After waiting for two days, the villagers wait in anxiety for him to come back. After the third day, he came back looking like a mad man."

"He said the policemen manning the gate question him on where he was coming from? Where he was going? And his mission. When he can't give a tangible explanation, he was punished."

"And warned never to come up again. After he had mount on his bike, He cursed the policemen.
Starting the bike, the bike didn't start on time. The policemen gave him a hot chase. He kept on running inside the bush.

Unfortunately, he could not retrace back his steps. He lost his way, only to re-surface back on the third day looking like a mad man."

"We understand it is now being occupied by one grand old lady, although nobody knows for sure what the truth is."

"This is very intriguing John, I told my friend. Honestly i would like to know who stays in there, and just what goes in there."

"I would advise you to forget those ideas Richard. I had similar urges when i came here first last year, but those fantasies have all disappeared."

"The place is just not for people like us. Would you believe that sometimes, a police Helicopter, comes to pick up the lady to God knows where for long periods, and then returns them?"

"A police Helicopter!?" I gasped. "Are they that important?"[/b]
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 4:19pm On May 07, 2016
Jaytoy topzywazzy joshuamoses101 ritababe berhdo whizkidefe linobrown9 nickymezor missmossy.

Oya show. Update don land

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 4:34pm On May 07, 2016
SimpleBea:
Jaytoy
topzywazzy
joshuamoses101
ritababe
berhdo
whizkidefe
linobrown9
nickymezor
missmossy.

Oya show. Update don land
confam. Nothing do you.

1 Like

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 8:57pm On May 07, 2016
So, bro. Whats ur opinion on the story so far?.
WHIZKIDEFE:
confam. Nothing do you.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by joshuamoses101(m): 10:54pm On May 07, 2016
Ride on sir
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by berhdo: 1:50pm On May 08, 2016
oya carry dey go bro joshua i dey feel u jere

1 Like

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Missmossy(f): 3:27pm On May 08, 2016
Keep it coming cheesy
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:29pm On May 08, 2016
Bro.... Na you get mouth pass ooo
joshuamoses101:
Ride on sir

1 Like

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:30pm On May 08, 2016
Missmossy:
Keep it coming cheesy
Yeah, i will. Thanks.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:31pm On May 08, 2016
berhdo:
oya carry dey go bro joshua i dey feel u jere
lool.... No lele bro.
Na u get mouth pass.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by topzywazzy(m): 9:49pm On May 08, 2016
nothing do u boss.. Am following u
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 7:45am On May 09, 2016
No pee bro.
topzywazzy:
nothing do u boss.. Am following u
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by joshuamoses101(m): 11:05am On May 10, 2016
Where update na?
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 4:58pm On May 10, 2016
Bro, am sorry for not updating, My exam is coming soon. I will continue when i am through with it.
Thanks for your understanding.
joshuamoses101:
Where update na?
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 5:02pm On May 10, 2016
joshuamoses101:
Where update na?
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 5:10pm On May 10, 2016
Dear friends.
Thank you for following this story right from its inception.
I am sorry for not updating frequently again. My exam is coming up soon. I will update when i am through. Thanks once again.
cc: joshuamoses101 topzywazzy whizkidefe missmossy jaytoy ritababe linobrown9 berhdo nickymezor
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by ritababe(f): 5:13pm On May 10, 2016
SimpleBea:
Dear friends.
Thank you for following this story right from its inception.
I am sorry for not updating frequently again. My exam is coming up soon. I will update when i am through. Thanks once again.
cc: ritababe lor
read.well

1 Like

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Botaflica(m): 1:34am On May 12, 2016
Wow, this is really good. Please update. More ink to your pen oooooo
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 6:17am On May 16, 2016
Hian!. Am back.
Thanks to everyone who stood by me. Your messages and comments was highly appreciated.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 6:19am On May 16, 2016
@botaflica. Welcome on board.

Typing.........
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Botaflica(m): 6:45am On May 16, 2016
@SimpleBea, thanks so much. I really apprec8 u calling on board. More wisdom bro.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:53pm On May 16, 2016
CHAPTER FOUR

[b]"You can ask that again. That is why the poor people of Ilogbo town mind their own business and allow those affluent but mysterious people up that hill to mind their own business too.
If you would take my advice you would just concentrate on your work here, get a quick transfer, or get a good and well paid job in the city and say goodbye forever to Ilogbo town and it many secrets."

Hmm, i sighed. "Maybe i would take your advice John, but tell me , don't any of the house helps come down here to buy or ask anything at all?."

"A few of the maids there come to buy vegetables, replied John, but they are as tight-lipped about the major occupants of that building as the occupants themselves are.
If they say anything at all, what they say are all things we already know of. Either the hands at the mansion themselves do not know much or have been commanded by some intimidating authorities never to say anything to anybody. Or it could be both."

We talked late into the night, and i bade him good night.

I cannot sleep that night, i keep on thinking about what John told me.

To while away time, i decided to put a call through to my girlfriend. On the third ring, she picked up. But after hearing my voice, she ends the call. I tried and tried calling her again, but she didn't picked the call. Later, she switched off her phone.

I decided to call Daniel, a good friend of mine back home to help me to check on her.

But, i received my greatest shock when i heard Titi, my girlfriend is going to have her introduction ceremony the following month.
Well, not so soon. Next week is going to be the third week since i left home. What is really wrong with girls of nowadays? She pulled a fast one on me. Her attitude left me brooding till the first cock crow. I quickly composed a text message wishing her "happy introduction and happy married life in advance."

I had expect this to come, but not so soon.

I decided to stop thinking about her issues, but concentrate on the matters at hand.

I still had a mystery to solve, as i drifted into a good sleep.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:58pm On May 16, 2016
Viewing this topic: shakyroh320, simplebea, olibboy
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Missmossy(f): 6:04pm On May 16, 2016
Keep it coming,captivating story. Kudos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 6:58pm On May 16, 2016
***CONTINUATION***

[b]From the day my friend John Agabus spoke to me about the magnificient yellow mansion on the top of the hill at Ilogbo town, i became even more curious to find out more about the place.

There was a wide road that led to the mighty strong gates through which the four wheelers in which the maids came to the market drove in.

Anyone who was not authorised to go to the place could be seen from far off and be asked questions. And the story of the man that was punished is still fresh in my mind. Without proper authority, the strong guards at the gates could manhandle you.

I was told there was a secret pathway that led through the almost impenetrable forest to the other side of the mansion.

But people did not risk that path often because it was inhabited by dangerous and poisonous reptiles.

Besides, even if one made it that close to that fortress, how could he or she even enter without alerting the vigilant guards whose job it was to protect the place and its many secrets?

My phone battery had ran down, if not for the king of Ilogbo town who had a generator and switched it on every three days. I would not had the privilege of calling my friends and my parents.

One Saturday, i decided to make a secret trip up the dangerous pathway to see and learn what i could about the people staying in that place. Prior to that, i had been watching the place from a secret spot atop a mango tree which grew behind my house.

The first day my landlord, one of the smaller chief of Ilogbo town saw me on the tree, he marvelled at this strange habit of mine. But i told him i was only studying the view, and besides i liked mangoes, especially if they were eaten from the tree on which they were plucked.

The chief looked at me curiously, shook his head and went away. I am sure he was thinking what a queer character this new teacher who had been brought to their village was.

Even if he had words of admonition for me, i knew he would not dare uttering them, and risk having me leave the village. And thus denying the people of their village the much needed formal education.[/b]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 7:06pm On May 16, 2016
@missmossy. Thanks. More updates soon.

@botaflica. Updates don drop.

@ritababe. Where are thou? Updates don drop.

@Joshuamoses101. Updates don drop.

@topzywazzy. Updates don drop. I am back for good.

@whizkidefe. Where av u been?

@nickymezor. @linobrown9 @jaytoy @berhdo. Where are you?
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by ritababe(f): 8:37pm On May 16, 2016
SimpleBea:

nice update but much typo error
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 9:39pm On May 16, 2016
ritababe:

nice update but much typo error
i dint av d time for the proof reading... Thanks for pointing out the flaws.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by linobrown9(m): 10:32pm On May 16, 2016
more ink to ur pen...
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Botaflica(m): 11:04pm On May 16, 2016
SimpleBea:
thanks bro. More wisdom and knowledge. Amen
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Olibboy: 9:41am On May 18, 2016
I dey gbadun u... lebooooooo!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Village Prince And I / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.