Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,412 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Love Don't Cost A Thing. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Love Don't Cost A Thing. (32542 Views)

It Costs A Thing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:49pm On May 21, 2016
Am sorry for the break-in-transmission.

Ama updatin soon.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by joshuamoses101(m): 4:35pm On May 21, 2016
Ur updates arent long enough nd u dnt update on time...pls do something abt dat
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 5:27pm On May 21, 2016
CHAPTER FIVE

[b]That Saturday. I woke up very early in the morning, even before the farmers set off on their ways to their farms, some of them farmed several kilometres away from the village.

I took the second path to the mansion and began to climb the hill steadily. Being very much a city man and not used to the sights of snakes, and reptiles in general, I was very much on the lookout for the slightest sign of one of them. At the slightest disturbance of the dry leaves on the fround, i would jumped up and look critically at the place and see what had disturbed the foliage that way.

After i had seen my second snake slithering dangerously away from the grass, i decided that the trip was not worth taking, so i turned back. No amount of curiosity merited death. And as the saying says "Curiosity killed the cat".

Well, i am not a cat,i'm Richard!.

If i didn't know of the people who stayed in that house, what would i stand to lose? And if i did, what would i stand to gain?

As i turned back, i told myself that i had been foolish to undertake the venture in the first place. Even if i had been able to go up there, what would i have told the people in there if they asked me of my mission? Would my curiosity be a good enough answer for the severe guards to accept?

As i was walking back, a flash of sunlight swept across my face as if someone had reflected the sunlight on a mirror to blind me. I looked around desperately to see if someone close enough to me had done that. But i could not see anybody i stood still, my heart beating fearfully, waiting to hear if anybody would disturb the foliage and betray his presence. But i heard no such sound.

I waited for a while longer to see if the flash of sunlight would come again. For five minutes, nothing happened. That was when i heard that hissing sound above me and looked up at the tree under which i stood.

Two evil eyes glinted at me from on top of the short tree, as the forked tongue of a black cobra flicked in and Out of that venomous mouth at me.i didn't need a second invitation to take to flight and began reciting Psalm 23."The Lord is my shepherd, i shall not want.........."

Indeed, i didn't know how i stumbled and tumbled my way down to the village and down to my room.

Nobody had known of that my early morning adventure and misfortune, and i was determined that nobody would know. Not even my friend John Agabus.[/b]
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 5:45pm On May 21, 2016
joshuamoses101:
Ur updates arent long enough nd u dnt update on time...pls do something abt dat

considerin the long updates, smtin wld be done abt it.
@bolded.sorry,I have been busy lately.

2 Likes

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Botaflica(m): 6:54pm On May 21, 2016
Wow, thats indeed a narrow escape despite not knowing how you got to ur base.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 7:11pm On May 21, 2016
What do u expect? Even, if u got no leg.God wld surely provide one.
Botaflica:
Wow, thats indeed a narrow escape despite not knowing how you got to ur base.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 7:29pm On May 21, 2016
Thanks sir.... Ur comments inspire me.
linobrown9:
more ink to ur pen...
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 7:31pm On May 21, 2016
Sir. Where have you been?
Updates don land.
Olibboy:
I dey gbadun u... lebooooooo!
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 6:53am On May 22, 2016
We make Front Page.

Thanks to all the people that have been following the story from its inception and to the new followers; I say Welcome on board.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by sasquareT(m): 7:17am On May 22, 2016
SimpleBea:
We make Front Page.

Thanks to all the people that have been following the story from its inception and to the new followers; I say Welcome on board.
yeah we made it to front page
oya update asap
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by janway(f): 7:23am On May 22, 2016
anxiously waiting for d continuation
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by eitsei(m): 7:32am On May 22, 2016
Good story you have but the updates are too short, why don't you combine the short updates together and make it long
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by wmoruf(m): 7:38am On May 22, 2016
fire on pls,,,,I dey gbadun ur tori d way oyinbo dey gbadun coffee
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by oceanp(f): 7:38am On May 22, 2016
hope it won't end half way or I could come bk next year to read d complete story . but more ink to ya pen
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by eamon360(m): 7:55am On May 22, 2016
Bros, we dey wait nah.... Contunu
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by ajaxtea(m): 8:36am On May 22, 2016
Yeah, we made front page!!!!

Oya kontinu
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by fineyemi(m): 8:58am On May 22, 2016
Am following
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Brymose(m): 10:15am On May 22, 2016
Good stories no dy last on nairaland, I hope u wil finish ur own. Great story bro keep it Up
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by anyamterzagwa(m): 11:18am On May 22, 2016
Nice story o,bt ba the updates too short na.try d end dem 4 where we go dey more curious to read.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by smartec: 11:41am On May 22, 2016
more grease to you albow
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Skygirl38: 11:43am On May 22, 2016
Nice one
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by muhamadnur: 11:50am On May 22, 2016
very very poor updates.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Omotayor123(f): 12:01pm On May 22, 2016
SimpleBae you should update the full story as soon as possible. Before followers lost interest.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by otodeluxe(m): 1:13pm On May 22, 2016
Am enjoying your tale. Keep it up
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Galacious1: 1:50pm On May 22, 2016
Nice piece ''Even if he had words of admonition for me, i knew he would not dare uttering them, and risk having me leave the village. And thus denying the people of their village the much needed formal education.'' Simplebea

How I wish writing is as easy as reading.

2 Likes

Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 2:57pm On May 22, 2016
***CONTINUATION***

[b]I would never bother myself about the mysterious inhabitants of the hill top mansion again, i told myself. I had even learnt my lesson. Moreover,John had been right.

After a short time of not having your curiosity about the hill people satisfied, you tended to forget about them.

I had decided to forget about the people on the hill top of Ilogbo town, but i was never to know that, what i had set in motion by my rash action to go on foot to the house on the hill top would trail me.

I was in school a week later when i had a strange visitor. A four wheeler Toyota Landcruiser with a small flag of NIgeria on a pole on the bonnet, came to the school. It had the Nigerian Police Force plate number. In the front seat was a police man and the driver.

I wonder how the Landcruiser got here, with no pliable road.

Probably, they must have brought it in by air. Or so i thought.

Almost shaking in his pants the headmaster invited the visitors to the office. I would never blame him as the story of the man who was beaten by the police still lingered on. Apparently he thought they were high government education officials. I never suspected that it had anything to do with me. But in a short time, the school's prefect came to call me that i was wanted in the principal's office.

When i entered, the principal spoke first.

"These gentlemen have a letter for you, Mr Richard."

"I, sir?" My surprise showed. "I don't know them." i was afraid it was a trick to kidnap me or something.

The policeman who had brought the letter spoke. And his voice contained a note of deference not that of command.

"Sir, this letter is for you. It is from the Ministry of Education."

"Wha- What have i done?" I stammered.

"Nothing wrong, i suspect, sir," said the policeman more politely.

"If i were you I would read it first."

I took the letter, it was addressed to me and on top of the envelope a Federal Republic Of Nigeria logo was embossed on it and also the coat of arms of Nigeria. My curiosity was activated again, as it grew at this strange message. I tore the envelope and read it.[/b]

Dear Mr Richard,
A very important person who lives where you teach has asked us to give him a qualified graduate teacher to teach her grandchild privately at her residence at Ilogbo town.
Since you are the most qualified of the teachers there, having had your education at the country's University, i recommended you.
If you will go with the messengers of this note, they would take you to see the lady, and discussions on remuneration would be made. I suggest you take advantage of this offer, since it could open the doors of opportunity for you.
The Secretary to the Minister

Ministry of Education.

After reading the letter, i turned to the policeman-messenger:

"Who is this person who wants to engage my services?"

"I don't know of the contents of the letter, sir", the policeman replied, "but i am to take you to the residence on top of the hill."

And he pointed to the house which had aroused my curiosity from the first day i arrived at Ilogbo town.
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:01pm On May 22, 2016
Thanks sir. I don update.
sasquareT:
yeah we made it to front page oya update asap
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:14pm On May 22, 2016
Ma. Ayaff update
janway:
anxiously waiting for d continuation
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:15pm On May 22, 2016
I don't have a system. I am using phone to type.
But, i will improve the short updates.
eitsei:
Good story you have but the updates are too short, why don't you combine the short updates together and make it long
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by SimpleBea(m): 3:17pm On May 22, 2016
Galacious1:
Nice piece ''Even if he had words of admonition for me, i knew he would not dare uttering them, and risk having me leave the village. And thus denying the people of their village the much needed formal education.'' Simplebae

How I wish writing is as easy a reading.

thanks bro. It aint easy at all.

But, you mispelt my monicker. I am simplebea
Re: Love Don't Cost A Thing. by Nazareth10: 3:22pm On May 22, 2016
I dey here, abeg update shaperly!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Village Prince And I / Novel: Caught In The Moment (house Of Earl Fashion) Written By: Onyeneke Abel / Chimamanda Adichie Makes Vanity Fair List Of International Best Dressed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.