Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,847 members, 7,844,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? (8494 Views)

Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? / Pls Muslims Defend This, And Convince Me That Islam Doesn't Condone Violence / Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

And what do you base your moral judgment on? Are you saying you are morally righteous? If so take this test. www.NeedGod.com

What part do you object to here? is it the moral bankruptcy or the lack of conscience displayed by those defending heinous actions? Where have I claimed a moral righteousness? I am not the one defending a vengeful bloodthirsty deity who exhorts its followers to "dash the heads of babies against rocks".

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by PastorAIO: 7:00pm On May 13, 2016
tartar9:

You are EVIL! *spits*

His own is just obvious. There are many of them, and they are usually more subtle and they know how to form holiness to the point that you will think that they're the only good and decent people on this planet.

Luckily we have Olaadegbu to expose the true repulsiveness of it all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:43pm On May 14, 2016
sweetcocoa:

You and that your god are crazy.

Who then do you worship since it appears we do not worship the same God? undecided
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:47pm On May 14, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Sounds like he and Satan are pretty much on the same page then?

The nature of the holy God and the sinful nature of human beings are like a burning fire and dried leaf respectively. It is natural for fire to consume any dry leaf because if its nature. God is a consuming fire and it will do you good to come under the covering of our Lord Jesus Christ who prevents burning. The Son prevents burning. smiley
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On May 14, 2016
Muafrika2:

Or are satanists kidnapping and killing people in hidden places. Or just murder because they are witches.

God avenges the sword with His.

I've discovered that many of these folks accusing God are actually on the other side of the spectrum. They are enemies of the Cross.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:50pm On May 14, 2016
orisa37:

Thanks. Atheists cases are handled specifically by Satan. They will perish without warning.

They have been warned.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53pm On May 14, 2016
tartar9:

lol after you just openly quoted and gleefully defended the genocide that xrist committed.

There is no comparison. Judgment is not genocide. God judges and it is ISIS/BH that commit genocide.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by sweetcocoa(f): 1:56pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Who then do you worship since it appears we do not worship the same God? undecided
Why would I need to worship anyone or thing in the first place?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by cloudgoddess(f): 1:57pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

The nature of the holy God and the sinful nature of human beings are like a burning fire and dried leaf respectively. It is natural for fire to consume any dry leaf because if its nature. God is a consuming fire and it will do you good to come under the covering of our Lord Jesus Christ who prevents burning. The Son prevents burning. smiley
Yeah, no thanks.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:57pm On May 14, 2016
specimenC:

Shut the f*k up and get the message. Who asked you all these? God of bla bla bla...u knw how u sound to me? Beh beh beh beh beh beh!!!fanatic oshi.

Do you want to know the difference between the Christian fanatic and Muslim? undecided

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:01pm On May 14, 2016
Akdegreat:

Dust, Soil, earth, ground, grave...

So you agree that you are also under the death sentence, so what is the hullabaloo about the OP? undecided It is given unto man once to die then Judgment.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:03pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

What part do you object to here? is it the moral bankruptcy or the lack of conscience displayed by those defending heinous actions? Where have I claimed a moral righteousness? I am not the one defending a vengeful bloodthirsty deity who exhorts its followers to "dash the heads of babies against rocks".

What do you base your moral values on? Why don't you come out and tell us who you actually worship in secret before you start pointing accusing fingers at your Creator? undecided
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:10pm On May 14, 2016
PastorAIO:

His own is just obvious. There are many of them, and they are usually more subtle and they know how to form holiness to the point that you will think that they're the only good and decent people on this planet.

Luckily we have Olaadegbu to expose the true repulsiveness of it all.

Why are you ashamed to reveal who you actually worship? Why do you deceive the gullible with the username of a pastor? If there's one thing this thread has achieved it is the revelation of the enemies of Christianity who are now creeping out of the woodwork in droves. cool
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:11pm On May 14, 2016
sweetcocoa:

Why would I need to worship anyone or thing in the first place?

Do you worship yourself? Man is bound to worship something or someone.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:13pm On May 14, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Yeah, no thanks.

Then fire must consume any dry leaf in its path.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by sweetcocoa(f): 2:13pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you worship yourself? Man is bound to worship something or someone.
No, man is not bound to worship anyone or thing, you just obviously think it ought to be that way.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What do you base your moral values on? Why don't you come out and tell us who you actually worship in secret before you start pointing accusing fingers at your Creator? undecided

hehehe.....leading yourself down the garden path...again. It is not my moral values being queried here, rather it is yours, perhaps you care to explain to us all why you see fit to worship a deity with genocidal tendencies who commands its followers to dash the heads of little babies against rocks so they don't "grow up to be like their sinful parents"?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

hehehe.....leading yourself down the garden path...again. It is not my moral values being queried here, rather it is yours, perhaps you care to explain to us all why you see fit to worship a deity with genocidal tendencies who commands its followers to dash the heads of little babies against rocks so they don't "grow up to be like their sinful parents"?

He that comes to equity must come with clean hands. Are your hands clean?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On May 14, 2016
sweetcocoa:

No, man is not bound to worship anyone or thing, you just obviously think it ought to be that way.

We are created to love God with all of our being. If you don't love God then something else must take His place. Is it addiction to sex, booze, the love of money, your appearance, position, prestige or power? What do you love above your Creator?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

He that comes to equity must come with clean hands. Are your hands clean?

Well, let's see now. Last time I checked I have neither committed genocide nor instigated ethnic cleansing, I have not advocated slavery nor demonised homosexuality. More importantly I do not venerate a deity who commands these things.

You see, when you are in a hole the first thing you do is to stop digging. You need only admit that the practices enshrined in the OT were abhorrent practices of a bye-gone era and have no direct emphasis on the message of Christianity today. Simpler said than done for you literalist blind-faith types.

What moral imperatives could possibly exist for you to maintain your ridiculous position that the violence in the OT remains justified?

3 Likes

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by cloudgoddess(f): 2:54pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Then fire must consume any dry leaf in its path.
Ok. Poetic threats don't really hold any weight when their basis has still not been proven to be anything other than human imaginations gone haywire.

And your "all consuming fire" metaphor could easily be used to represent the affect of religious brainwashing on healthy human minds. At least then it would actually be substantiated.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:58pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

Well, let's see now. Last time I checked I have neither committed genocide nor instigated ethnic cleansing, I have not advocated slavery nor demonised homosexuality. More importantly I do not venerate a deity who commands these things.

You see, when you are in a hole the first thing you do is to stop digging. You need only admit that the practices enshrined in the OT were abhorrent practices of a bye-gone era and have no direct emphasis on the message of Christianity today. Simpler said than done for you literalist blind-faith types.

What moral imperatives could possibly exist for you to maintain your ridiculous position that the violence in the OT remains justified?

You spoke too soon. Answer these moral questions and lets see where you stand on your moral high chair:

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength? ____YES ___NO
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself? ____YES ___NO
Have I ever used God's name in vain? ____YES ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy? ____YES ___NO
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly? ____YES ___NO
Have I murdered (God also considers hatred as murder)? ____YES ___NO
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)? ____YES ___NO
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)? ____YES ___NO
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)? ____YES ___NO
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)? ____YES ___NO

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 3:14pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I've discovered that many of these folks accusing God are actually on the other side of the spectrum. They are enemies of the Cross.

Some shadowy people in here,
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You talked too soon. Answer these moral questions and lets see where you stand on your moral high chair:

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength? ____YES ___NO
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself? ____YES ___NO
Have I ever used God's name in vain? ____YES ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy? ____YES ___NO
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly? ____YES ___NO
Have I murdered (God also considers hatred as murder)? ____YES ___NO
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)? ____YES ___NO
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)? ____YES ___NO
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)? ____YES ___NO
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)? ____YES ___NO

Such a sly fox, In truth you would have made a great Pharisee of the day. A card carrying member of the clan who wore their observances on their sleeves with empty hearts, and what does my answering your infantile questions prove? Your best case scenario is to deem me totally immoral to which I say fine. So now, you can perhaps answer my original question.

What is the moral imperative for your devotion to the brutal genocidal one true jealous God who visits the iniquities of the Father on to the Son and even up to the fifth generation? we await your answer.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 3:50pm On May 14, 2016
Muafrika2:

Some shadowy people in here,

Why don't you feel free to contribute properly instead of hiding behind the pink petticoats of OLAADEGBU?.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:57pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

Such a sly fox, In truth you would have made a great Pharisee of the day. A card carrying member of the clan who wore their observances on their sleeves with empty hearts, and what does my answering your infantile questions prove? Your best case scenario is to deem me totally immoral to which I say fine. So now, you can perhaps answer my original question.

What is the moral imperative for your devotion to the brutal genocidal one true jealous God who visits the iniquities of the Father on to the Son and even up to the fifth generation? we await your answer.

Good. Since you admit that your hands are not clean then you are not qualified to sit on a moral high throne to judge the holy and righteous living God. cool
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Good. Since you admit that your hands are not clean then you are not qualified to sit on a moral high throne to judge the holy and righteous living God. cool

Really? and what about those who speak with a forked tongue? You're such a sly fox, I asked what is "your" moral imperative for worshipping such a brutal deity, or perhaps you don't consider the brutal actions in the OT reprehensible?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:14pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

Really? and what about those who speak with a forked tongue? You're such a sly fox, I asked what is "your" moral imperative for worshipping such a brutal deity, or perhaps you don't consider the brutal actions in the OT reprehensible?

That is begging the question. Who told you He is a brutal deity? God kills billions not millions if you must know. The Scriptures reveal that He is the ultimate Judge. Every human being will die because He proclaimed the death sentence on the entire race. It is His Word that says "the soul that sins shall die." Do the maths. Ten out of ten die, and our death is proof that in His eyes the best of us are wicked criminals, justly deserving capital punishment.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by UyiIredia(m): 4:16pm On May 14, 2016
I'm ambivalent about the answer on one hand it seems good. OTOH I think it rubber-stamps great evils done by God in the OT.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by specimenC: 4:20pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you want to know the difference between the Christian fanatic and Muslim? undecided

In your mind now you have made sense, and about to convert a non believer. You probably thinking you have to touched a heart with your cartoon. Now take ur cartoon and get the fck out of my mention.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:21pm On May 14, 2016
cloudgoddess:

Ok. Poetic threats don't really hold any weight when their basis has still not been proven to be anything other than human imaginations gone haywire.

And your "all consuming fire" metaphor could easily be used to represent the affect of religious brainwashing on healthy human minds. At least then it would actually be substantiated.

Do you believe in the existence of God?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:22pm On May 14, 2016
UyiIredia:

I'm ambivalent about the answer on one hand it seems good. OTOH I think it rubber-stamps great evils done by God in the OT.

Do you think God did evil in the OT?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

"For Better For Worse" Is It Supposed To Be Used During Vow? / Checkout Bishop David Oyedepo’s Luxurious House, Cars And Private Jet / FAKE MIRACLES!! Reverend Father Modestus Chiedozie Chilaka – Watch Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.