Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,799 members, 7,844,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? (8489 Views)

Who Is The GOD Of The Old Testament? / Pls Muslims Defend This, And Convince Me That Islam Doesn't Condone Violence / Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by UyiIredia(m): 4:25pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you think God did evil in the OT?
Didn't he? Killing people is evil and God commanded lots of it.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:27pm On May 14, 2016
specimenC:

In your mind now you have made sense, and about to convert a non believer. You probably thinking you have to touched a heart with your cartoon. Now take ur cartoon and get the fck out of my mention.

You are free to go back and worship your allāh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:32pm On May 14, 2016
UyiIredia:

Didn't he? Killing people is evil and God commanded lots of it.

Murder is evil I expected you to know the difference. cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

Why don't you feel free to contribute properly instead of hiding behind the pink petticoats of OLAADEGBU?.
Would love to, but....

I see nothing of worth arguing about here. You conquer a nation, you exterminate it conclusively. Nations have been doing it, Europe did it in South America, and with some African tribes, US did it with Hiroshima, and God willing, we'll be doing it to someone else at the end of this age. ..

Rev 19:17...Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

PS/
Why is it that the NL hardcore Anti Christs find this concept more offensive that any other group. Oh, I know, you do good with your "gift" And most know the truth. People who have eyes but have chosen to live blind. (If you can't relate, this isn't for you, wizards only wink )

Am noticing that those who contest with God the hardest have the highest expectations of Him. - - - You never know, the story of the prodigal son may just come true undecided

I preach to witches more that any other people, and there is a place in the coming age for a significant number who should be having that moment of turnaround any time from now. Three out of four nations. Its the foirth nation that needs to be worried. And for which that supper up there ^^^^^ is spoken of. If God wanted to destroy all sinners there would not be any of your likes. It's just annoying that we have to endure your and your brethren's uniquely "gifted" and blasphemous antics for a whole age. Thank God the end is near. I hope it finds you on the right side.

** tired sigh**
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

That is begging the question. Who told you He is a brutal deity? God kills billions not millions if you must know. The Scriptures reveal that He is the ultimate Judge. Every human being will die because He proclaimed the death sentence on the entire race. It is His Word that says "the soul that sins shall die." Do the maths. Ten out of ten die, and our death is proof that in His eyes the best of us are wicked criminals, justly deserving capital punishment.

Yes, it is appointed unto man to Die. No matter what. Therefore lets condone Yahweh's bloodthirst since we are all going to die, that is your warped reasoning.

Look, not even the most hardened, flea bitten Christian would describe Yahweh as a “benevolent compassionate God”, so irascible, so bloodthirsty was this deity that even Christians in the NT had to virtually disavow Yahweh, is it any wonder you now say Jesus is God?

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by UyiIredia(m): 4:38pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What's the difference?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by specimenC: 4:43pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You are free to go back and worship your allāh.

Bla bla bla....you are wasting ur time posting all these to me. I refuse to indulge in religious argument with u that may result to serious insult. In the end, you will go back to telling me I will burn in hell. You think you re refering to a newbie who's seeing this for the first time. I have seen worst, I have read worst. So do you yourself a favour, build a church and feed on tithes. Thanks.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by UyiIredia(m): 4:48pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What's the difference?
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 14, 2016
Muafrika2:

Would love to, but....

I see nothing of worth arguing about here. You conquer a nation, you exterminate it conclusively. Nations have been doing it, Europe did it in South America, and with some African tribes, US did it with Hiroshima, and God willing, we'll be doing it to someone else at the end of this age. ..

Rev 19:17...Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;
18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

PS/
Why is it that the NL hardcore Anti Christs find this concept more offensive that any other group. Oh, I know, you do good with your "gift" And most know the truth. People who have eyes but have chosen to live blind. (If you can't relate, this isn't for you, wizards only wink )

Am noticing that those who contest with God the hardest have the highest expectations of Him. - - - You never know, the story of the prodigal son may just come true undecided

I preach to witches more that any other people, and there is a place in the coming age for a significant number who should be having that moment of turnaround any time from now. Three out of four nations. Its the foirth nation that needs to be worried. And for which that supper up there ^^^^^ is spoken of. If God wanted to destroy all sinners there would not be any of your likes. It's just annoying that we have to endure your and your brethren's uniquely "gifted" and blasphemous antics for a whole age. Thank God the end is near. I hope it finds you on the right side.

** tired sigh**

You should have remained in slumber-land. So your apologetic is rooted in the fact that nations have been plundering nations for ages therefore it is a justification for Yahweh’s blood-lust. I think you should go back to bed.

You clearly have issues with an over-preening faux self-righteousness, you should get over yourself.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by PastorAIO: 6:14pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Why are you ashamed to reveal who you actually worship? Why do you deceive the gullible with the username of a pastor? If there's one thing this thread has achieved it is the revelation of the enemies of Christianity who are now creeping out of the woodwork in droves. cool

Now you're flailing about desperately. What has who I worship or my moniker got to do with what we are discussion on this thread?

Where did you see me condoning Violence in the bible? Is that not you, supported by your imaginary god?

Why are you bringing up the issue of shame when you are so shameless? At least the person who would have shame can recognise some wrong doing in himself. But you can stand and say (and probably do) the most repulsive things that humans can imagine and you will big up your chest and declare it with pride, supported by your nasty thought-form of a pathetic god, the repository of all of your vilest thoughts and feelings.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by PastorAIO: 6:16pm On May 14, 2016
Sarassin:

You should have remained in slumber-land. So your apologetic is rooted in the fact that nations have been plundering nations for ages therefore it is a justification for Yahweh’s blood-lust. I think you should go back to bed.

You clearly have issues with an over-preening faux self-righteousness, you should get over yourself.

No o! Don't send him back to bed. Let him post and post and post. It is all getting exposed.

His tacit admission is that Yahweh is no better than the nations of history. Nasty people did it so it's okay for yahweh to do it. The measure of Yahweh is the lowest depths of human depravity.

Please Muafrika, continue.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by tartar9(m): 8:08pm On May 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I hope you didn't spit on your screen. grin
No,I spat on your bald head. cheesy
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:54pm On May 17, 2016
Sarassin:

Yes, it is appointed unto man to Die. No matter what. Therefore lets condone Yahweh's bloodthirst since we are all going to die, that is your warped reasoning.

Look, not even the most hardened, flea bitten Christian would describe Yahweh as a “benevolent compassionate God”, so irascible, so bloodthirsty was this deity that even Christians in the NT had to virtually disavow Yahweh, is it any wonder you now say Jesus is God?

"And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter" (Revelation 8:11).

Yahweh didn't just confine His Wrath to the Canaanites read up on what happens in the book of revelation. Yahweh has proclaimed the death sentence upon the whole of the human race and because we have broken God's Law we deserve to die.

Everyone of us is waiting on death row and instead of you standing or sitting in moral judgment over the Almighty God you need to first judge yourself according to the Law of God I put forth in my earlier post. If you conscientiously do that you will find out that you have a multitude of sins and are therefore deserving of punishment.

Yet Yahweh, out of love, paid the penalty for your sin so that you will not have to suffer it eternally.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On May 17, 2016
UyiIredia:

What's the difference?

There is a difference between murder and killing. Go figure. cool
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:02pm On May 17, 2016
tartar9:

No,I spat on your bald head. cheesy

Your case reminds me of a road rage scene where the offended reacted by spitting at the offender forgetting that his window was wound up. shocked
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 12:55pm On May 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

"And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter" (Revelation 8:11).

Yahweh didn't just confine His Wrath to the Canaanites read up on what happens in the book of revelation. Yahweh has proclaimed the death sentence upon the whole of the human race and because we have broken God's Law we deserve to die.

Everyone of us is waiting on death row and instead of you standing or sitting in moral judgment over the Almighty God you need to first judge yourself according to the Law of God I put forth in my earlier post. If you conscientiously do that you will find out that you have a multitude of sins and are therefore deserving of punishment.

Yet Yahweh, out of love, paid the penalty for your sin so that you will not have to suffer it eternally.

You twist and turn like a leaf in a gust of wind yet you will not answer simple questions. Your pusillanimous apocalyptic pronouncements of Yahweh’s death sentence on mankind is rather pointless, nothing lives forever, we live and we die, it is the natural cycle of things, we die so that others may live.

Here you are again bleating about “sitting in moral judgement of the almighty”, There is not the chance of a snow-ball in hell that I would hold myself in judgement to the laws of your gratuitously violent, brutal warmongering and bloodthirsty deity, further, I don't see how any right thinking person with an ounce of humanity can condone let alone ...propagate such heinous acts as being justified. What is your justification? let us hear it?

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:15pm On May 18, 2016
Sarassin:

You twist and turn like a leaf in a gust of wind yet you will not answer simple questions. Your pusillanimous apocalyptic pronouncements of Yahweh’s death sentence on mankind is rather pointless, nothing lives forever, we live and we die, it is the natural cycle of things, we die so that others may live.

Here you are again bleating about “sitting in moral judgement of the almighty”, There is not the chance of a snow-ball in hell that I would hold myself in judgement to the laws of your gratuitously violent, brutal warmongering and bloodthirsty deity, further, I don't see how any right thinking person with an ounce of humanity can condone let alone ...propagate such heinous acts as being justified. What is your justification? let us hear it?

Do you even believe God exists? undecided
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Do you even believe God exists? undecided

Nowhere on these pages have I ever stated that I am an atheist.

You are still wriggling around like a worm on a hook. Now, why don't you answer your own questions? Why does your deity Yahweh, condone, instigate and propagate mass genocidal killings, gratuitous violence and brutal acts against little babies? do you have opinions of your own or are you just a mass regurgitator of Christian apologetics?

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:14pm On May 18, 2016
Sarassin:

Nowhere on these pages have I ever stated that I am an atheist.

You are still wriggling around like a worm on a hook. Now, why don't you answer your own questions? Why does your deity Yahweh, condone, instigate and propagate mass genocidal killings, gratuitous violence and brutal acts against little babies? do you have opinions of your own or are you just a mass regurgitator of Christian apologetics?

I have answered your question. Now answer mine. Do you believe in the existence of God? undecided
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 18, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I have answered your question. Now answer mine. Do you believe in the existence of God? undecided

I have answered your question but for the sake of clarity, here it is, I believe in the Divine, the Logos, the reason to be if you will.

Here are the questions I asked you, my eyesight is not what it used to be, perhaps you can point out your answers to me. Be mindful that I am asking your opinion.

What moral imperatives could possibly exist for you to maintain your ridiculous position that the violence in the OT remains justified?
What is the moral imperative for your devotion to the brutal genocidal one true jealous God who visits the iniquities of the Father on to the Son and even up to the fifth generation? we await your answer.

Let us see the degree of humanity that the devotion to your warmongering deity engenders.

1 Like

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On May 23, 2016
Sarassin:

I have answered your question but for the sake of clarity, here it is, I believe in the Divine, the Logos, the reason to be if you will.

I can see that you have broken the first commandment in God's Moral Law and you want to climb the moral judgment throne to accuse your Maker?

Sarassin:

Here are the questions I asked you, my eyesight is not what it used to be, perhaps you can point out your answers to me. Be mindful that I am asking your opinion.

Let us see the degree of humanity that the devotion to your warmongering deity engenders.

If you knew the nature and attributes of your Creator you will not be begging the question and sinning against God as you have done here.

Sin is the transgression of God's Law.  Just as we have natural laws we also have Moral Laws and God is the Law giver who we are accountable to.  Below is a list of the Moral Law of God that I gave you earlier, which also corresponds with our conscience and it is only us who are created by the only true God that can sincerely answer whether we have broken them or not.  Sin is an action or thought that is in disobedience to God and we are accountable to Him.

I reiterate the Moral Law again for you to see how you have fallen short of God's Moral standard.

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I ever used God's name in vain?   ____YES  ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I murdered (God considers hatred as murder)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)?  ____YES  ___NO 
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)?  ____YES  ___NO 

If you have even broken one Law, then you have sinned against God and therefore will "surely die," for the "wages of sin is death."  (Death is the separation from God, either temporary or permanently)

We are all guilty of breaking the Commandments.  Listen to the voice of your conscience, and let it remind you of some of the sins of the past.  We are not perfect as we are commanded to be (Matthew 5:48), neither is our heart pure.  On Judgment Day our transgressions will be the evidence of our shame.  Think of it: God has seen every sin we have ever committed.  We share our thought-life with Him.

We are guilty of violating His Law a multitude of times, yet if we repent, God can forgive us because Jesus stepped into the courtroom 2,000 years ago and paid the fine for us.  His death on the cross satisfied the Law we so blatantly transgressed, and at the same time demonstrated how much God loves us—

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." 

His shed blood on the cross can make you clean in the sight of a holy God, as though you have never sinned.

God doesn't want you to go to Hell.  Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath.  Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible daily and always obey what you read; Safe yourself from imminent pain.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 24, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I can see that you have broken the first commandment in God's Moral Law and you want to climb the moral judgment throne to accuse your Maker?

You always were a bit of a clown. So it is I a non-Christian who has broken the first commandment? What about you? Can you tell me what supposed Jewish cultic god you worship? Is it the vengeful, wrathful, toddler head-smashing Yahweh of the OT, is it the compassionate forgiving Jesus of the NT or is it the second century apostle Paul contrived invention of the heavenly Jesus/God?

If you knew the nature and attributes of your Creator you will not be begging the question and sinning against God as you have done here.

Sin is the transgression of God's Law. Just as we have natural laws we also have Moral Laws and God is the Law giver who we are accountable to. Below is a list of the Moral Law of God that I gave you earlier, which also corresponds with our conscience and it is only us who are created by the only true God that can sincerely answer whether we have broken them or not. Sin is an action or thought that is in disobedience to God and we are accountable to Him.

I reiterate the Moral Law again for you to see how you have fallen short of God's Moral standard.

Have I always loved God my Creator with all my heart, mind, soul and strength? ____YES ___NO
Have I made a god in my own image? a god to suit myself? ____YES ___NO
Have I ever used God's name in vain? ____YES ___NO
Have I kept the Sabbath holy? ____YES ___NO
Have I always honoured my parents implicitly? ____YES ___NO
Have I murdered (God considers hatred as murder)? ____YES ___NO
Have I committed adultery (including premarital sex and lust)? ____YES ___NO
Have I stolen (the value is irrelevant)? ____YES ___NO
Have I lied (including fibs and these questions)? ____YES ___NO
Have I coveted (been greedy or materialistic)? ____YES ___NO

If you have even broken one Law, then you have sinned against God and therefore will "surely die," for the "wages of sin is death." (Death is the separation from God, either temporary or permanently)

We are all guilty of breaking the Commandments. Listen to the voice of your conscience, and let it remind you of some of the sins of the past. We are not perfect as we are commanded to be (Matthew 5:48), neither is our heart pure. On Judgment Day our transgressions will be the evidence of our shame. Think of it: God has seen every sin we have ever committed. We share our thought-life with Him.

We are guilty of violating His Law a multitude of times, yet if we repent, God can forgive us because Jesus stepped into the courtroom 2,000 years ago and paid the fine for us. His death on the cross satisfied the Law we so blatantly transgressed, and at the same time demonstrated how much God loves us—

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

His shed blood on the cross can make you clean in the sight of a holy God, as though you have never sinned.

God doesn't want you to go to Hell. Please, forget your arguments, repent and put your trust in Jesus and be saved from God's wrath. Make Psalm 51 your prayer, then read your Bible daily and always obey what you read; Safe yourself from imminent pain.

You typed out this diatribe simply to avoid answering a simple question. Here is my question again, for the last and the repeated time. What are your moral imperatives for worshipping a vengeful wrathful toddler head smashing deity?

A. I think dashing babies heads against rocks is great sport.
B. No, I do not think dashing babies heads against rocks is great sport
C. I don't know

Answer on a post card please.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:52am On May 25, 2016
Sarassin:

You always were a bit of a clown. So it is I a non-Christian who has broken the first commandment? What about you? Can you tell me what supposed Jewish cultic god you worship? Is it the vengeful, wrathful, toddler head-smashing Yahweh of the OT, is it the compassionate forgiving Jesus of the NT or is it the second century apostle Paul contrived invention of the heavenly Jesus/God?

God's Moral Law is bound on all His creatures and you will be morally accountable to Him on the Day of Judgment carry on as you have also broken the third law by committing blasphemy. shocked

Sarassin:

You typed out this diatribe simply to avoid answering a simple question. Here is my question again, for the last and the repeated time. What are your moral imperatives for worshipping a vengeful wrathful toddler head smashing deity?

A. I think dashing babies heads against rocks is great sport.
B. No, I do not think dashing babies heads against rocks is great sport
C. I don't know

Answer on a post card please.

D. None of the above. cool

You will rue typing the bolded above on Judgment Day unless you repent and believe the gospel. I'll advise you to check up the suggested link for help. ==> www.Needgod.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 11:03am On May 25, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I hope this helps those accusing God of the immorality of killing the 'innocents'. smiley

Also see why atheists take the stand that they take against God. ==> https://www.nairaland.com/3024312/what-does-it-mean-when
Because that's how humans made Him. See, I'm not an atheist because these stories don't necessarily lap well with me but because I don't see/have/know any genuine reason to believe in a god.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 12:33pm On May 25, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

God's Moral Law is bound on all His creatures and you will be morally accountable to Him on the Day of Judgment carry on as you have also broken the third law by committing blasphemy.

Where exactly is the blasphemy here? Is it the “vengeful”, “wrathful” or “toddler bashing” parts you find blasphemous? All descriptive terms of Yahweh contained in your infallible, incorruptible “good book”. Why don't you just admit your God of the OT was a God of clay feet with human characteristics.

You will rue typing the bolded above on Judgment Day unless you repent and believe the gospel. I'll advise you to check up the suggested link for help.

You venerate and worship a vengeful wrathful deity who amongst other atrocities, instigates smashing in the skulls of little babies, who by the way, and by your admission are this same deity's very own creation, and you are here moralising to me feeling cool? do you get irony? I can't stop laughing at your comedy of absurdities.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by TrajansKong: 9:35pm On May 25, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

God's Moral Law is bound on all His creatures and you will be morally accountable to Him on the Day of Judgment carry on as you have also broken the third law by committing blasphemy. shocked

You will rue typing the bolded above on Judgment Day unless you repent and believe the gospel. I'll advise you to check up the suggested link for help. ==> www.Needgod.com

OLAADEGBU, you are a cosmic clown grin grin grin

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54am On May 27, 2016
Julianyao:

Because that's how humans made Him. See, I'm not an atheist because these stories don't necessarily lap well with me but because I don't see/have/know any genuine reason to believe in a god.

You don't have to believe in God's existence for you to know He exists. All it takes is the use of your physical senses. The evidence is all around you.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:58am On May 27, 2016
Sarassin:

Where exactly is the blasphemy here? Is it the “vengeful”, “wrathful” or “toddler bashing” parts you find blasphemous? All descriptive terms of Yahweh contained in your infallible, incorruptible “good book”. Why don't you just admit your God of the OT was a God of clay feet with human characteristics.

You venerate and worship a vengeful wrathful deity who amongst other atrocities, instigates smashing in the skulls of little babies, who by the way, and by your admission are this same deity's very own creation, and you are here moralising to me feeling cool? do you get irony? I can't stop laughing at your comedy of absurdities.

God's grace is still available for you, use it before it gets too late.
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:24am On May 27, 2016
TrajansKong:

OLAADEGBU, you are a cosmic clown grin grin grin

Thank God you are wrong. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:25am On May 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

I hope this helps those accusing God of the immorality of killing the 'innocents'. smiley

Also see why atheists take the stand that they take against God. ==> https://www.nairaland.com/3024312/what-does-it-mean-when

Suggested answer to those who are not contented with the OP:

Why did the Israelites destroy cities and kill all of the people inside?

"And the Lord our God delivered him over to us; and we defeated him with his sons and all his people. So we captured all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, women and children of every city. We left no survivor" (Deuteronomy 2:33-34).

The command by God to kill all inside a city is seen by many to be immoral and a demonstration that the Bible is not true. But, we must examine the issue in light of its context--its Biblical context--not in light of present-day, non-Christian assumptions. If we want to see if it is moral or not, we must know which morals are in question.

First of all, the context of this verse is dealing with the wickedness of the Amorite king Sihon of Hesbon, a city of the Amorites (Num. 21:25). They were a wicked people (Gen. 15:16, 2 Kings 21:11). When the Israelites wanted to pass through their land during their exodus from Egypt, the Amorites refused them safe passage and attacked the Israelites. However, they were soundly defeated by Israel (Num. 21:21-31). It is in this context that God delivered them over to the Israelites, that is, in the context of the battle.

Why would the decision of the Amorites be so serious to God that He would have all their people wiped out? The answer is simple. God tells the Israelites why the people were destroyed. It was because of the wickedness of the Amorite people.

"It is not for your righteousness or for the uprightness of your heart that you are going to possess their land, but it is because of the wickedness of these nations that the Lord your God is driving them out before you, in order to confirm the oath which the Lord swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob," (Deut. 9:5).

God has declared that the Amorite people deserved to die because of their sins. They remained unrepentant (unlike Nineveh), and the righteous wrath of God fell upon them via the Israelites. Since all are sinners, all deserve to die. They were no exception. Nevertheless, God is merciful by allowing them to live. In the case of the Amorites, God was gracious to them by letting them live and enjoy life with its generic blessings from God (provision of rain, sun, water, etc.,) while He encouraged them to repent of their sins. They refused to turn from their immorality and were finally wiped out.

Also, the death of a child might be a very merciful thing because had the child grown up in the sin of the Amorite culture, it would surely have suffered the eternal wrath of God. If the "age of accountability" notion is correct, then God delivered them into His hands, and it is possible that by this they were spared eternal damnation.

The final and most important reason for their destruction is that God needed to keep the messianic line pure so that Jesus could be born, and thereby redeem His people so that believers could go to Heaven. Without Jesus' sacrifice, all would be damned. If the Amorites were allowed to live, surely they would have influenced the Jewish nation in a harmful way, thereby threatening the arrival of the Messiah. Therefore, God in His righteous judgment executed judgment upon them.

https://carm.org/bible-difficulties/genesis-deuteronomy/why-did-israelites-destroy-cities-and-kill-all-people-inside
Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Unequalled and unrivalled barbarity, justified by religious fanaticism and the morally bankrupt. ISIS would be proud of you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did God Condone Such Terrible Violence In The Old Testament? by Brigance(m): 2:41pm On May 27, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Indeed, All that is required to be an atheist is definitely, to read the bible.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Unbelievably Good Reasons To Read Your Bible / Why Are Africans The Only People Who Does Not Worship A God How Looks Like Them / Christian Tattoos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.