Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,483 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage (60708 Views)

Life Before Marriage Vs Life After Marriage (photos) / Why Do Most Girls Gets So Fat After Marriage? / Women, Did You Change Your Signature After Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Donemmy(m): 6:01pm On Nov 19, 2017
go to any court of competent jurisdiction, swear change of name affidavit & publish your change of name in any national dailies, get a copy of the newspaper publication & keep for reference purpose.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 20, 2017
Adayoung:
Pls house is there limit to the number of names u are to assume ? Or is there a rule guilding the names u are to use?. Thks

No rule or restriction, just follow the due process.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Wizywiz(m): 11:48pm On Nov 20, 2017
Pls house my elder bro jus did his traditional marriage few months ago and they ain't doing white wedding. Pls how and where can he go for his marriage certificate.? They are both in portharcourt. Ur advise and suggestions including cost are welcomed. Tanx
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Donemmy(m): 5:15pm On Nov 22, 2017
Wizywiz:
Pls house my elder bro jus did his traditional marriage few months ago and they ain't doing white wedding. Pls how and where can he go for his marriage certificate.? They are both in portharcourt. Ur advise and suggestions including cost are welcomed. Tanx
let him go to marriage registry
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by woleoja: 10:14am On Dec 15, 2017
Please how much is it if I want to do for my wife with a marriage certificate and affidavit
Neyoor:

I can assist you with that via The Nigerian Tribune newspaper. Change of name are always published on Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday. You can contact me on 08066500655
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 15, 2017
woleoja:
Please how much is it if I want to do for my wife with a marriage certificate and affidavit

Either of the two cert. (marriage or affidavit) is okay

Price: 5k
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by excalibur(m): 6:38pm On Jan 03, 2018
Visit www dot namechange dot ng for your change of name concerns.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by excalibur(m): 11:53pm On Apr 23, 2018
For sworn affidavit, newspaper advert, complementary certificate of name change, online repository listing, and free delivery of documents to Lagos-based addresses, visit namechange. ng. All for a token fee, for the convenience.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Katier00(f): 3:36pm On Apr 24, 2018
Iranoladun:
I'm surprise at all the responses.  To the best of my knowledge, you cannot just go to a newspaper whether you are a man or woman and just declare that you want your name to be change. shocked

If you want to change your name for reason of being married under the Native law & custom i.e. traditional marriage, church or mosque (Customary act) or marriage act (i.e. marriage in a registry) the steps below is what you need to follow:

You need to do an affidavit (i.e. swear on oath) with a lawyer (Notary Public) or in front of a Commissioner for Oath in a Court before you then go to a newspaper for the purpose of widely circulating the notice of change of name.    

However, If you have a marriage certificate you will need to present it otherwise your lawyer or Notary Public may do a "Deed Poll" for you i.e. your husband will also need to sign the document to confirm that he has given his permission for you to be bearing his name.

Changing of name without a 'Mrs." simply involve an affidavit  & newspaper publication (i.e. if you are a man or you are a 'Miss"wink.
what of in the case of divorce, changing from my ex husband's name to my maiden name

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by excalibur(m): 12:19am On Apr 25, 2018
Katier00:
what of in the case of divorce, changing from my ex husband's name to my maiden name

It's the same process. You need an affidavit. You can include the reason as one of the statements in the affidavit if you want. Not compulsory.

Go to website namechange. Com for convenient processing.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Katier00(f): 7:53am On Apr 25, 2018
excalibur:

It's the same process. You need an affidavit. You can include the reason as one of the statements in the affidavit if you want. Not compulsory.

Go to website namechange.c Com for convenient processing.
thanks dear
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Cvesta(m): 11:30am On Jun 10, 2018
Donemmy:
go to any court of competent jurisdiction, swear change of name affidavit & publish your change of name in any national dailies, get a copy of the newspaper publication & keep for reference purpose.

How many copies does one needs to have of this publication just in case ?
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Donemmy(m): 4:56pm On Jun 11, 2018
Cvesta:

How many copies does one needs to have of this publication just in case ?
just one

1 Like

Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by Pharmjossy(m): 11:35pm On Dec 29, 2020
I will advice u get up to 10 copies of the newspaper considering that u may be required to attach your original cuttout to some CV especially overseas. Or in the case of lose, u have other safe copies
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by poshria(f): 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2022
Hi got married this month,how do I change my surname to my husbands own? and also know that my husband went to the US with our certificate due to processing so how can I change the name that it won’t affect my international passport.
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by culf: 2:52am On Nov 30, 2022
Re: How Do You Change Your Last Name After Marriage by culf: 3:06am On Nov 30, 2022
poshria:
Hi got married this month,how do I change my surname to my husbands own? and also know that my husband went to the US with our certificate due to processing so how can I change the name that it won’t affect my international passport.

Go and do newspaper publication and affidavit. he can scan and send the details to you to use.

congratulations

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Daughter Of 4+ Years Would Not Allow Me And Wife Have Sex At Night / They Want Me To Marry Her Corpse, I refused / ''if You Used This Go And Get Married''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.