Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer (9967 Views)

Where Did Closing Eyes During Prayer Mentioned In The Bible? / Why Do Christians Close Their Eyes When Praying? / Is Closing Eyes While Praying Biblical? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by dannytoe(m): 7:50am On May 08, 2016
When i was a child. they usually tell us in church, to close our eyes during prayers. or we wil recieve a slap from an angel...
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by menxer: 7:53am On May 08, 2016
It does not matter, but it helps reduce distractions (especially in church) and allow your inner eye to see "things not seen", see the manifestation of your request.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by vchykp(m): 7:54am On May 08, 2016
[size=15pt]yeap, it is not necessary, but it is good to avoid distrction, and it helps you connect easily spiritually[/size]
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by dalambusu(m): 7:54am On May 08, 2016
It is not really necessary but in order to be fully concentrated in the spiritual exercise I think it is right
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by swaggzo(m): 7:57am On May 08, 2016
lopjohnny:
Closing of the eyes while praying, does it really matter or is it even biblical that you must close your eyes when praying

YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO PRAY MAN, NO ONE HEARS NOR ANSWERS THAT SHIIT! undecided
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Qabt(m): 7:57am On May 08, 2016
Christians myt tink its necessary,but its nt necessary 4 muslims
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by ybalogs(m): 7:58am On May 08, 2016
Totally unnecessary
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by victorazy(m): 7:59am On May 08, 2016
ironben:
No sir, it is not.

If you disagree, try that while driving in traffic. grin

grin I tried that one day and nearly had accident
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by cagey123(m): 8:01am On May 08, 2016
gentlesoul196:
I open mine most time so I can see the spirit descending on me
In your dreams, buddy. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Ebukaokeke5: 8:02am On May 08, 2016
Its a means of keeping the mind and intuition focus only on your God,while u pray.Prayer is a fellowship between one and his/her God, so it demands all the sharp imagery and projections and finally switching of effecting them with sound connotations(d prayer's speech).These are all the technologies needful to make great powers and energy available to mk ones God effect answers to his/her prayers.These works if one is in tone n has a good connection with his or her God.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by ebig21(m): 8:03am On May 08, 2016
it is not compulsory but most close eye to avoid distraction
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Nobody: 8:06am On May 08, 2016
lopjohnny:
Closing of the eyes while praying, does it really matter or is it even biblical that you must close your eyes when praying
to avoid distraction and it aids that heavenly connection you don't get when you open your eyes especially in church,you may say a short prayer anywhere and may chose to not close your eyes
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by phemolala07(m): 8:06am On May 08, 2016
fireforfire:
If u like pluck out ya eyes while praying. Who cares
cheesy grin grin
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by biz9ja(m): 8:07am On May 08, 2016
Why will you open your eyes, don't you know prayer is a communion undecided undecided
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by lastpage: 8:07am On May 08, 2016
lopjohnny:

Its not compulsory.

Just that when you pray, you want to "focus" your mind and spirit on God.

What you are seeing with your eyes at that moment may cause a distraction for your mind, without you even knowing it.
undecided undecided

So, closing your eyes is just a way of focusing your mind.

Lastpage!
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Daraph(m): 8:08am On May 08, 2016
I don't know.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Nobody: 8:12am On May 08, 2016
Best ways to imagine existing or non existing things is to close your eyes like Christians do Or to concentrate like Muslims embarassed
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by 4ward(m): 8:16am On May 08, 2016
lopjohnny:
it really depends on situations ooooo.

watch and pray atimes
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by weleprof: 8:18am On May 08, 2016
Is just to avoid distraction.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Chazzyboy: 8:20am On May 08, 2016
castroevans:
Sometimes u see clearly with ur eyes closed.
hi
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Dharnchuks(m): 8:36am On May 08, 2016
Whenever I close my eyes while praying I tend to yawn in the course of the prayer but this doesn't happen when I leave my eye open
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by WhyNa: 8:38am On May 08, 2016
Hmmm, when I'm speaking in tongues, I open my eyes most times but I don't see cheesy

Closing your eyes while praying helps you focus more though
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by ebyoma(f): 8:51am On May 08, 2016
Its not a must neither is it a sin but you could easily get distracted with your eyes opened while praying.
And in some cases get possessed if the MOG is casting out demons and you're busy looking instead of praying.

where it will be considered a sin is if the pastor ask everyone to close their eyes for prayers and you ignore him.. you've disobeyed him and disobedience is a SIN
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Strawman: 9:17am On May 08, 2016
cold:
Shutting your eyes whilst praying is just another relic of colonial conquest. The early missionaries made the gullible African convert to shut his eyes in the course of praying to his new god. And whilst he was at it, his land was exploited, pillaged and plundered. These are well worn traditions still used today by the so called men of god to fleece the gullible.

Bullshit

Do you know how long it takes to exploit, pillage and plunder a plot of land? So the colonial masters were telling the locals to close their eyes throughout hour-long prayer sessions or...what are you saying?

Don't European and American Christians close their eyes too while praying? Are they exploiting land from themselves in the process?

Your post was severely uneducated mehn

3 Likes

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by cold(m): 9:25am On May 08, 2016
Strawman:

Bullshit

Do you know how long it takes to exploit, pillage and plunder a plot of land? So the colonial masters were telling the locals to close their eyes throughout hour-long prayer sessions or...what are you saying?

Don't European and American Christians close their eyes too while praying? Are they exploiting land from themselves in the process?

Your post was severely uneducated mehn
The statement was metaphorical. But i don't expect a well educated person like you to get it.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Strawman: 9:36am On May 08, 2016
cold:

The statement was metaphorical. But i don't expect a well educated person like you to get it.

"Metaphorical" my ass.

There's no single metaphor in that post. You just proved to be uneducated once again cheesy

1 Like

Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Nobody: 9:38am On May 08, 2016
Lexusgs430:
The Bible says be watchful and prayerful. How can you be watchful if you close/shut your eyes?
watch here doesn't mean eyes open but being watchful of our lives,any time the rapture can take place
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by UjSizzle(f): 9:49am On May 08, 2016
It's necessary to avoid distraction, but not mandatory.
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Lexusgs430: 10:07am On May 08, 2016
ginagold01:
watch here doesn't mean eyes open but being watchful of our lives,any time the rapture can take place

Was it whispered into your ears?
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Oshege(m): 10:12am On May 08, 2016
Closing of eyes while praying is delusional practice. Even it doesn't determine your concentration, you can close eyes and find yourself thinking about other things. The focus of praying is beded in your mind not your eyes
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by Empredboy(m): 10:24am On May 08, 2016
tripplephi:

There is no scripture to this effect of closing eyes... Just like there is no scripture for kneeling down or wearing scarf to pray... Hence if you can stay FOCUSED with your eyes open then pray that way... The main point is prayer must be without ceasing. Bless ya
for ladies to cover their hair read 1 cor 11:2-16, about kneeling down read luke 22:41-44
Re: Closing Eyes When Praying :how Necessary It Is To The Prayer by ReachHard: 10:45am On May 08, 2016
@OP DON'T WORRY... WHEN ONE-CHANCE PEOPLE THIEF YOUR PURSE INSIDE CHURCH, YOU GO KNOW WEDA NA RIGHT OR WRONG cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Gods Big Picture For This World He Created, To Rapture Man To Heaven? / What Is God? / Why Am Leaving Christianity For New Age

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.