Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? (22798 Views)

Daddy Freeze To Pastor Adeboye: "Pope Drinks Beer And Doesn't Pay Tithe" / What Is Tithe? / "Don’t Bring Stolen Money To My Church As Offering!" - Sarah Omakwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by killsmith(f): 10:30am On May 08, 2016
haywire07:

Its not a one-man church . It has branches worldwide and am certain this tithes are used to pay the large number of pastors and missionaries in the field.
I don't have problem how the tithe is spent . I leave that to God .
My only problem is why do they have to keep records of how much I've been paying ?
so you're more concerned about the welfare of your pastors and missionaries than the helpless?...the motherless and orphans?.....pls stop thinking like a nigerian....think like a human being....

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by bomsilaga(m): 10:31am On May 08, 2016
The special prayers for tithers made me stop tithing. Giving should not be broadcast no matter the name and purpose.
haywire07:
I don't really need to start explaining the importance of tithing.
Of course we all know paying tithe of every income is necessary but I attend a church where every tithe you pay is recorded in a tithe book with a your name boldly written on it .
The motive behind it is definitely not for show off but I don't feel convenient with the fact that the deacons who will count the money would know how much and how regularly I pay my tithe.
Secondly, we tithers are asked to come out every with our tithe book for prayers before dropping it in d tithe box. I feel shy doing that , especially when I think of those girls who will be like "hmmmm, haywire don dey pay tithe , d guy don get money b dat" .. I feel so inconvenient.
The truth is, I've been unable to pay my tithe for a while now, though the cash is intact .

Today is Sunday again and am still bothered.

Thanks
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by afroxyz: 10:36am On May 08, 2016
okoi001:
The reason why your tithe is recorded on the tithe book is for you to have record of your progress. If God is increasing you financially or static or decreasing. It makes you feel and know God is working in your life well

coming out is just and additional blessing poured to you by the pastor.
So God is now a business man that you balance account with. You correlate how much he blesses you based on how much you sow. Chai!

5 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Caracta(f): 10:38am On May 08, 2016
Yeah. I know that church.

So alien to me. I was visiting in a new town and it was my host's church. I didn't last two months in that church. I refused to pick a tithe card even after the pastor called me out. I was paying my tithe elsewhere (without card). The pastor even recommended me for deliverance grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by uboma(m): 10:39am On May 08, 2016
okoi001:
The reason why your tithe is recorded on the tithe book is for you to have record of your progress. If God is increasing you financially or static or decreasing. It makes you feel and know God is working in your life well

Your submission is baseless Mr.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Praktikals(m): 10:42am On May 08, 2016
XXLDICK:
Not to talk down your belief, but people need that money more, stop giving it to already rich pastors.

Give the less privileged. Thanks
I thank God for my kind of person. No pastor can push me around. If you like, carry fire for head, na my mind I go follow.
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by uboma(m): 10:43am On May 08, 2016
bomsilaga:
The special prayers for tithers made me stop tithing. Giving should not be broadcast no matter the name and purpose.

You are so on point.

The Church these days give special attention to those who pay their tithes. The more tithe you pay, the more attention one gets.

This is simply a scam

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by dubaiprince: 10:48am On May 08, 2016
Tithing card I guess is basically used to keep record to prevent pilferage on the part of those counting. Monies without cards are recorded under anonymous tithers which stands a risk of being understated. It's just a pity churches now use tithe cards to monitor people's finances. My own take.
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Nobody: 10:48am On May 08, 2016
okoi001:

you are getting it wrong. Maybe you are just a christian for its sake. Read your bible well, get to know what it speaks about paying your tithe. Read the book of Malachi.
It is between you and God, not with your pastor. Be smart since you went to school.

Leave him be. He said he prefers to help the needy and nt an already made pastor. He ain't giving them anything. There's nothing like paying tithe while the payment is between him and God.

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by dindaron(m): 10:48am On May 08, 2016
Am sure dat church sud b methodist
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Nobody: 10:50am On May 08, 2016
okoi001:

Dumb, sheepy and extremely lame comment.

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by einsteino(m): 10:50am On May 08, 2016
I dont tithe. I have read my bible and refused to be confused by wealth seeking pastors and priest. When the church makes the needy its primary concern, i would consider tithing. For noe they can go on competiting amongst themselves on who builds the biggest edifice
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Nobody: 10:53am On May 08, 2016
Babzilla:
Creflo dollar was quoted as saying that ig ue had his way he will shoot any christian that doesnt pay tithe
so sad that Tithing has become a matter of life and death for greedy ravenous pastors like Mr. dollar.
His verbiage gives him away as a gangster, not one filled with the holy spirit.
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Nobody: 10:57am On May 08, 2016
worlexy:
Most of what is practised in churches today are not Biblical and non-Christlike. Tithe booklets are just there so that the pastors can monitor your "faithfulness" at paying your tithes. if what I give is between me and God, why should I be monitored by any pastors after all God loves a cheerful giver not those that are compelled to give by pastors chasing you around with Tithe booklets every Sunday or pastors always blackmailing you with Malachi 3:10. Malachi 3 is applicable to churches whom pastors aren't being paid salary by the church and pastors who are not busy buying exotic properties all over the place. The levites are the ones that ought to receive tithes on behalf of God cos even though they are part of Israel, they were not allowed to inherit piece of land in Israel hence there's no way they could farm and eat, their job is solely to serve God and they live within the temple, the only way God could bring food to their tables is to command other tribes of Israel to pay tithe so that his priests could eat( that is why Malachi 3 says bring all the tithes so that there can be FOOD in my house). But nowadays that pastors get paid, buy jets, build mansion, while the church members are impoverished, who should tithes be paid to? And what should tithes be used for? Is it even justifiable to pay tithes? There was mention of tithe in the new testament, mind you.

In practice if you pay your tithes faithfully God will bless you and if you don't pay bible says that person have robbed God. In the past, I have the same thought as you, I don't pay or pay a very small amount but then I suffer some immense losses in my finances and my health. Since then I pay my 10% and everything changed.
The key is to find a bible believing church that stand on the truth of the word and attend there and pay your tithes. Watch the lifestyle of the ministers there. Tithes are meant to pay for the admin and running of the church and organise programs to win souls to the kingdom

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by 1miccza: 10:58am On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

So alien to me. I was visiting in a new town and it was my host's church. I didn't last two months in that church. I refused to pick a tithe card even after the pastor called me out. I was paying my tithe elsewhere (without card). The pastor even recommended me for deliverance grin

Lolz at the way Churches making it look like without tithing,a man is completely dead physically and spiritually...
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Nobody: 10:58am On May 08, 2016
einsteino:
I dont tithe. I have read my bible and refused to be confused by wealth seeking pastors and priest. When the church makes the needy its primary concern, i would consider tithing. For noe they can go on competiting amongst themselves on who builds the biggest edifice
a great error which may cost you
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by stainlex(m): 11:05am On May 08, 2016
haywire07:
Of course we all know paying tithe of every income is necessary but I attend a church where every tithe you pay is recorded in a tithe book with a your name boldly written on it .
The motive behind it is definitely not for show off but I don't feel convenient with the fact that the deacons who will count the money would know how much and how regularly I pay my tithe.
Secondly, we tithers are asked to come out every with our tithe book for prayers before dropping it in d tithe box. I feel shy doing that , especially when I think of those girls who will be like "hmmmm, haywire don dey pay tithe , d guy don get money b dat" .. I feel so inconvenient.
The truth is, I've been unable to pay my tithe for a while now, though the cash is intact .

Thanks

Assemblies of God church! Lmsao

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by saintneo(m): 11:07am On May 08, 2016
haywire07:

Thanks

I don't subscribe to public display of tithe~ing. Ever since I passed through a very challenging period in my life, after which, God delivered me; I never failed to pay my tithe. I simply do a bank transfer to the church account. However my church (I am a Catholic BTW) chooses to use the money is non of my concern.

God is awesome!
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by OShepherd: 11:09am On May 08, 2016
IMHO, it's unfair! I experienced it b4 & quite unpalatable. Had a tithe card & paid regularly but I lost my job, tinz changed & I couldn't meet up only 4 Mr Pastor 2 throway face but wit time I got over dat stage; got anoda offer & him now expecting As usual: I changed Church immediately & has since kept dese pastors @ a moderate distance- I no come Lagos 2 enrich 1 pastor!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by AreaFada2: 11:15am On May 08, 2016
cynosure489:
There is alternative

EAT IT!

Deut 14:22 Each year, you shall separate the tithes out of all your crops which spring forth from the earth.
23 And you shall eat these in the sight of the Lord your God, in the place which he will choose, so that his name may be invoked there: the tenth part of your grain and wine and oil, and the firstborn from the herds and your sheep. So may you learn to fear the Lord your God at all times.

There is nothing like tithes. UNLESS you are a farmer!

Some brainwashed people will say "oh, give 10% of whatever you earn since we're not farmers now. Wrong. Over 70% of Nigerians live in rural areas and most still farm. It is NOT biblical to tithe non-farmers.

Don't assume what you think you should do to replace the Bible's instruction. Follow The Bible. We're not better than Bible writers.

In biblical times, there were lawyers, Physicians, clergy, soldiers etc. They were not asked to pay tithes.

Non-farmers can financially support the church, widows, orphans and so on in other ways. NOT tithes. It's clear in the Bible.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Elebiju: 11:22am On May 08, 2016
haywire07:

Its not foursquare but one of the Pentecostal churches that has been in existence for ages . So u will understand that such practice has also been in existence as a doctrine . I was in fact born in the denomination but still I find it hard to agree with them about the tithe idea
The answer is that tithing is not the New Testament standard for giving. Perhaps more than any other factor, giving reflects the condition of our hearts: “Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Matt. 6:21). You can fake some things, but you can’t fake giving your money! You may get mad at me, but I’m going to give it to you straight: If you give ten percent or less of your income to the Lord’s work, in most cases it reflects a lukewarm heart toward God. I used to give ten percent and thought I was doing fine. Then I made the mistake of preaching on giving! I discovered that God’s Word teaches that ...

We should not tithe because God wants us to give generously, and tithing is the bare minimum.

Our God is a generous, giving God who so loved the world that He gave that most precious gift, His only begotten Son. “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sake He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich” (2 Cor. 8:9). As God’s people who are to be like Jesus, we are to be generous givers.

The Bible teaches that God, who richly has supplied us with all good things, wants us “to be generous and ready to share” (1 Tim. 6:18). But what does generosity mean? Isn’t giving 10 percent of my income to the Lord’s work being generous? If not 10 percent, how much should I give?

1. Tithing is not the New Testament standard for giving.

Many churches promote a concept called “storehouse” tithing, based on Malachi 3:10, where God tells Israel to “bring the whole tithe into the storehouse.” They teach that the local church is the storehouse, the tithe belongs to God, and His blessing is conditioned upon faithfulness in tithing. One pastor in a church near me in California preached that if his people weren’t giving ten percent to that church, they were in sin and needed to go home and repent!

Before I critique this view, let me point out that there are some commendable points regarding tithing:
(1) Those who tithe are often acting in obedience to what they believe God has commanded.
(2) Tithing gets some to increase what they give.
(3) Tithing helps consistency and discipline in giving. But consider these seven reasons why tithing is not God’s standard for Christians:

A. TITHING WAS A PART OF THE LAW OF MOSES; BELIEVERS ARE NOT UNDER THE LAW.

Romans, Galatians, and other New Testament passages make it clear that Christians are not under the law of Moses. That does not mean that we are lawless, because we are under the law of Christ (1 Cor. 9:20-21; James 1:25; 2:8, 12; Rom. 13:8-10). Those aspects of the Mosaic law that reflect the moral character of God are valid under the New Covenant and are repeated as commands in the New Testament. But the church is never commanded to tithe.

Those who argue for tithing point out that Abraham and Jacob both tithed prior to the Mosaic law (Gen. 14:20; 28:22). Thus tithing supersedes the law, they argue. If the New Testament gave no further guidelines, that might be a valid point. But it does, as I will show. But there are other practices, such as circumcision and sabbath-keeping which pre-date the Law and yet are not binding on us.

If you examine the references to Abraham’s and Jacob’s tithing, you will see that God did not command them to tithe and there is no indication that this was their regular practice. On one occasion after a victory in battle, Abraham tithed the spoils from that battle, but nothing is said regarding his other possessions or his regular income (Gen. 14:20). To follow Jacob’s example would be wrong, because he was making a conditional vow before God, promising that if God would keep him safe and provide for him, then he would give God a tenth (Gen. 28:20-22). That’s hardly a good example to follow in giving! Tithing was required under the Mosaic Law, but believers are not under the Law.

TO BE CONTINUED....
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by heffem(m): 11:23am On May 08, 2016
I am getting tired of this Tithe thing, I must confess... Must it be in monetary form? , and if yes... Must it be in the Church? Haba!
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by ngaal7: 11:29am On May 08, 2016
Friend, Go back and read the word of God (BIBLE). Follow the guideline.
Summary:
First step will be to Obey Matt.6:33 Afterward, you make up your mind to do what the lord says.
You cannot bribe God. Your life must first be accepted by God.( Holy living).
The spirit of God will lead & guide you into all truth.
I hope this helps.
But you do have a choice whether to consider or reject.
Cheers!
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Funjosh(m): 11:29am On May 08, 2016
Caracta:

And you disappear without going for the deliverance, chai Diaris God o grin

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Mcowubaba: 11:29am On May 08, 2016
The Tithe card is for record keeping, financial accountability on the part of the Church....

But.... I don't pay tithes though !!!, I hope to start paying soon ....

People say we should give our 10% to charity, but that's contrary to what is obtainable in Malachi 3:8-12
Charity is different from Tithe oooo.....
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by OShepherd: 11:29am On May 08, 2016
I won't 4get d day members were asked to roll on d bare floor & apologize to God for failing in regular tighting-This really pissed me off d more & began 2 make me doubt Xtianity & som doctrines sef! May GOD deliver us in dis End time!

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Elebiju: 11:32am On May 08, 2016
haywire07:

Its not foursquare but one of the Pentecostal churches that has been in existence for ages . So u will understand that such practice has also been in existence as a doctrine . I was in fact born in the denomination but still I find it hard to agree with them about the tithe idea
B) TITHING WAS AN INVOLUNTARY TAX TO SUPPORT ISRAEL; BELIEVERS ARE NOT A PART OF THE THEOCRATIC NATION.

In the Old Testament, there was both required and voluntary giving. The tithe was required. It was commanded for every Israelite to fund national worship and help the poor. In actuality, there was not just one tithe, but rather two or three ([1] Lev. 27:30-33, Num. 18:20-21; [2] Deut. 12:17-18; [3] Deut. 14:28-29), so that the total was not 10 percent, but more like 22 percent (see Charles Ryrie, Balancing the Christian Life [Moody Press], p. 86). Thus if we are required to bring the whole tithe into the storehouse today, we had better up the percentage from 10 to 22 percent!

C. TITHING IS NOT MENTIONED IN ANY INSTRUCTIONS TO THE CHURCH, ALTHOUGH MUCH IS SAID ABOUT GIVING.
If tithing is to be practiced by the Christian church, it seems strange that Paul did not mention it when he wrote of giving, especially to the predominately Gentile churches which would not be familiar with the Old Testament.

D. TITHING IS NOT MENTIONED IN ANY WRITINGS OF THE EARLY CHURCH FATHERS.

By itself this is not decisive, but it lends weight to the biblical arguments. If the early church practiced tithing, then the concept should surface somewhere in the writings of the church fathers of the second and third centuries. But it does not, even though giving was an important part of early Christian worship.

G. TITHING IS BURDENSOME FOR SOME AND TOO EASY FOR OTHERS.

If a man with a family of five makes #2000000 a year and tithes, he has #1800000 (apart from taxes) to support five people. If a childless couple makes #1000000 a year and tithes, they have #900000 (apart from taxes) to support two people. That would be burdensome to the man with five mouths to feed, but ridiculously easy for the couple.

You seem to be enjoying akwa ibom than the rest of us.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Horlufemi(m): 11:32am On May 08, 2016
[size=50pt]No[/size]
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by jmann2(m): 11:32am On May 08, 2016
XXLDICK:
Not to talk down your belief, but people need that money more, stop giving it to already rich pastors.

Give the less privileged. Thanks

Nice one bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by Nobody: 11:34am On May 08, 2016
Its not so much to show your love for God by supporting his work with 10 percent of your income undecided
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by ladyverere(f): 11:41am On May 08, 2016
worlexy:
Most of what is practised in churches today are not Biblical and non-Christlike. Tithe booklets are just there so that the pastors can monitor your "faithfulness" at paying your tithes. if what I give is between me and God, why should I be monitored by any pastors after all God loves a cheerful giver not those that are compelled to give by pastors chasing you around with Tithe booklets every Sunday or pastors always blackmailing you with Malachi 3:10. Malachi 3 is applicable to churches whom pastors aren't being paid salary by the church and pastors who are not busy buying exotic properties all over the place. The levites are the ones that ought to receive tithes on behalf of God cos even though they are part of Israel, they were not allowed to inherit piece of land in Israel hence there's no way they could farm and eat, their job is solely to serve God and they live within the temple, the only way God could bring food to their tables is to command other tribes of Israel to pay tithe so that his priests could eat( that is why Malachi 3 says bring all the tithes so that there can be FOOD in my house). But nowadays that pastors get paid, buy jets, build mansion, while the church members are impoverished, who should tithes be paid to? And what should tithes be used for? Is it even justifiable to pay tithes? There was mention of tithe in the new testament, mind you.
Re: Is Tithe Card Necessary Like We Can Find In My Church? by jmann2(m): 11:41am On May 08, 2016
OShepherd:
IMHO, it's unfair! I experienced it b4 & quite unpalatable. Had a tithe card & paid regularly but I lost my job, tinz changed & I couldn't meet up only 4 Mr Pastor 2 throway face but wit time I got over dat stage; got anoda offer & him now expecting As usual: I changed Church immediately & has since kept dese pastors @ a moderate distance- I no come Lagos 2 enrich 1 pastor!!!
Thank God bro.
You learned the lessons of life in a hard way but God opened your eyes that those guys are fair-weather friends.
He discarded you when u lost your job, discard him too when u get another job.

Hold on to the Lord Christ, no one can love you better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Thousands Of Churches Differ In Doctrine Yet They Read The Bible - Freeze / Kemi Olunloyo Begs For Forgiveness As She Testifies In Church (Video) / 6 Powerful Prayer Points For MMM Participants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.