Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,198 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made (44896 Views)

Mike Ozekhome Vs Femi Falana On Ndume's Suspension / Time To End Senate Impunity – Falana On Ndume’s Suspension & Sagay’s Invitation / FG Replies Falana On ‘recover $200bn Looted Funds Advice’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by M4gunners: 6:20pm On May 09, 2016
May God bless this Igbo man.Oh i mean this yoruba man with Igbo heart. Always saying the truth, fearless man tell them.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Nobody: 6:34pm On May 09, 2016
bejeiodus:
Falana spoke the absolute truth. The police were very complicit in the attack that took place in Enugu. The GOC of the 82 division must also be disciplined and probably court-marshaled for negligence of duty. It is high time people began to answer for their roles in the abominable attack. There is no better time for state police than now. The attack would have been averted if the Governor could give orders to the police commissioner. The fear of state police becoming a tool in the hands of governors should not stop us from trying it out. We can build necessary safeguards through our laws that will ensure that that does not happen.
200 likes
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by PNomsule: 6:41pm On May 09, 2016
In one breath, he discusses the need for Buratai to mind his biz, yet in another he accuses the Army Commander in Enugu for not rising to the occasion of mayhem by cattle marauders!

2 Likes

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by blackestboy: 6:41pm On May 09, 2016
freeze001:
Maybe when people lose the blind political party support, the truth will start coming out. It's not everything that should be politicised but if any government functionary comes out to address these issues we'll start hearing of 16years of rot by PDP, oil price drama and all that BS!

50 likes for u jare
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by poiZon: 6:41pm On May 09, 2016
Inspectahdeck:
Ex-commissioner of police, Enugu, Nwodibo Ekechukwu deserves some punishment: He said that the transfer of the ex-police boss in the state is not enough as the community had alerted the governor who then alerted the commissioner of police but failed to take actions. He further said that all heads of security agencies- commissioner of police, Director of state security service and Army commander in Enugu were guilty of security negligence and should be dealt with accordingly.

Is Nigeria ripe for state police, With the mentality of our governors?

We have to consider Nigerian fact when discussing policies.

the current ape in aso rock is worse than most of the bad govrs.
If the igp needs order from presidency before doing his duties then i think its high time federal police be scrap, lets invite interpol to come do our policing.
See what happened in d case of ese oruru, d ig had d guts to tell nigerians he needs d permission of emir before he can perform his duties.
I wish dat man was my dad, will lock him up for weeks n flog sense into his dry skull.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by phranq(m): 6:42pm On May 09, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
Falana, like Oby is still pained because they were rejected as ministers. Continue

u rily rily nid sense!!! plz pray hard for it. Falana cnt be compared with Oby. I'm an Igbo in case.....
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Gmekx(m): 6:43pm On May 09, 2016
prettysolid:
Hi Landers would like to have a chat with anyone staying in Boston,Darthmouth or Lowell, MA or any part of Florida .

Yup

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by phranq(m): 6:49pm On May 09, 2016
honestly I hv alwz askd wot has transferring of d commissioner got to do with d deed dat has bin done. is transferring him justice?? smtimes discussing abt Naija issue dey kill me off. so d commissioner has to get oda frm d presidency b4 he can act but not wen to take bride n also oda his men to murder suspects with proper trial n investigation(s) abi??
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Nobody: 6:53pm On May 09, 2016
The problem was that, government should recruit more police, at least 500,000 wil do a lots of things and it will reduced the unemployment,, so I did not support state police with the way our governor behav, there should be a police at every corner of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by coolscott(m): 7:14pm On May 09, 2016
papadjaji:
Imagine if Tinubu has his police. Imagine if Wike had a state police too.

The danger of having state police is too great. Big politicians will use it to kill thier opponents and even start war with other states.

Please let's not dream of state police anymore
[size=13pt]I had these concerns too but I realized this can be properly checked when I listened to Ekweremadu.
He said that just as state judiciaries are answerable to the central National Judicial council is independent of the executive and is in charge of disciplinary and other responsibilities within the Judiciary nationwide, so will the police be checked by central council that is independent of the executive.

Already, the state governors fund the state police within their states heavily by providing a lot of the things they need to be effective in their states. So the states will fund and own the police but whereas the police remain answerable to any charges of crime, misbehaviour or violation of the Nigerian constitution in our courts of law, disciplinary (and other) control will be enforced by the central independent council.

If a gov wants to sack/punish a policeman because he refuses to break the law on the gov's behalf, it will not work because the council is the one with powers to ratify it. He will be afraid to do the bidding of the gov in the first place because he knows he may do it but the central disciplinary council can deal very severely with him and the gov will not be able to save him from their hammer.
[/size]
UnknownT
ziddy
akinola1736
lustychima
saintdennis
wasco24
DRISKLEF
Larryfl
Saklekplus

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by orisa37: 7:16pm On May 09, 2016
Very good and all the Points made are accurate, correct and must be actualized immediately.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by coolscott(m): 7:31pm On May 09, 2016
PNomsule:
In one breath, he discusses the need for Buratai to mind his biz, yet in another he accuses the Army Commander in Enugu for not rising to the occasion of mayhem by cattle marauders!
[size=13pt]Because the commander was there in the meeting and he said that what the constitution provides for is when the police is overwhelmed, the president can order that the military gets involved.
From Olu Falae to Agatu to Jos and everywhere else were the Fulani struck, I think it had already been established, how well the police had been taking control of the matter. Some have also alleged that these people are not Nigerian Fulani (which we have not yet verified).

In any case, if they must be involved in enforcing law and order (which I believe they should, on the instance of the police and not necessarily until all that beauracracy to get the president involved is gone through) it is not by assuring the governor that troops have already been deployed to Nimbo in the security council meeting and then ensure that not even one is around the vicinity.

That is a punishable criminal offence in anyone's book I believe, and most importantly, in our law books.
[/size]
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Nobody: 7:51pm On May 09, 2016
This ansa a lot of questn......but my problem is this just in a book....and am not sure it will b followed intoto in practical terms
coolscott:

[size=13pt]I had these concerns too but I realized this can be properly checked when I listened to Ekweremadu.
He said that just as state judiciaries are answerable to the central National Judicial council is independent of the executive and is in charge of disciplinary and other responsibilities within the Judiciary nationwide, so will the police be checked by central council that is independent of the executive.

Already, the state governors fund the state police within their states heavily by providing a lot of the things they need to be effective in their states. So the states will fund and own the police but whereas the police remain answerable to any charges of crime, misbehaviour or violation of the Nigerian constitution in our courts of law, disciplinary (and other) control will be enforced by the central independent council.

If a gov wants to sack/punish a policeman because he refuses to break the law on the gov's behalf, it will not work because the council is the one with powers to ratify it. He will be afraid to do the bidding of the gov in the first place because he knows he may do it but the central disciplinary council can deal very severely with him and the gov will not be able to save him from their hammer.
[/size]
UnknownT
ziddy
akinola1736
lustychima
saintdennis
wasco24
DRISKLEF
Larryfl
Saklekplus

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by khadaffi(m): 7:53pm On May 09, 2016
bejeiodus:
Falana spoke the absolute truth. The police were very complicit in the attack that took place in Enugu. The GOC of the 82 division must also be disciplined and probably court-marshaled for negligence of duty. It is high time people began to answer for their roles in the abominable attack. There is no better time for state police than now. The attack would have been averted if the Governor could give orders to the police commissioner. The fear of state police becoming a tool in the hands of governors should not stop us from trying it out. We can build necessary safeguards through our laws that will ensure that that does not happen.

From what you wrote here its clear you are not aware Nigeria once practiced state policing. Please go back and study why we moved to central policing. Its very important so you can have a clear view on what you're saying.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Nobody: 8:09pm On May 09, 2016
ibkgab001:
Nigeria will get there someday grin grin grin

[size=40pt]The Major Problem we have in Nigeria started with Police and will surely ended with Police yes i mean it Police ....Olopa Aalaso dudu[/size]
"and will surely end." God bless you.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by busolakun(m): 8:16pm On May 09, 2016
let's us Redefine, Restructure, DECENTRALIZE Nigeria. True FEDRALISIM Is our solution.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by richidinho(m): 8:51pm On May 09, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:
Falana, like Oby is still pained because they were rejected as ministers. Continue

so a SW person can be so stew! d like diz

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Tinyemeka(m): 9:14pm On May 09, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:

One of those moments when NL needs an unlike button.

1 Like

Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Isaackenny(m): 9:18pm On May 09, 2016
shevchenko:
Useless Yoruba baboon who will also say half truths
stop reasoning with your legs... wake up and be matured
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Nobody: 9:47pm On May 09, 2016
olillywales:
Top human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) has once again vented his frustration with the sorry state of the nation, especially concerning the spate of insecurity sweeping across different regions.

Below are the 7 salient points from Falana’s explosive interview on Channels television on Monday, May 09, 2016.

Inspector General of Police is incompetent: Femi Falana accused the IGP, Solomon Arase of incompetence on the handling of the Fulani herdsmen. He said it left much to be desired that the IGP had to wait for a presidential order before taking action after scores of local residents were killed in the recent Fulani herdsmen attack in Ukpabi Nimbo community in Uzo-Uwani local government area of Enugu state.

The Police is understaffed: He also opined that the Nigeria Police lacked the capacity to effectively police 170million people with just 130,000 men.

162 police officers guarding a governor is too much: According to Falana, Nigeria “used to have 300 policemen guarding a Governor, now Police assigns about 162 officers to guard each State Governor”. For a police that is already understaffed, that figure is still too much.

Ex-commissioner of police, Enugu, Nwodibo Ekechukwu deserves some punishment: He said that the transfer of the ex-police boss in the state is not enough as the community had alerted the governor who then alerted the commissioner of police but failed to take actions. He further said that all heads of security agencies- commissioner of police, Director of state security service and Army commander in Enugu were guilty of security negligence and should be dealt with accordingly.

The Police constantly engages in extra judicial killings: Femi Falana alleged that the police was regularly engaged in outright killings of armed robbery and kidnap suspects after parading them to the media. He said, “What happens to armed robbery suspect and kidnap suspects after the parade? They are simply extra judicially executed. I go to court regularly; I cannot remember when last armed robberies were brought to court. In 2014, 532 armed robbery and kidnap suspect were paraded all over the country and I went to the police to get the court were these criminals were being arraigned but I got no response,” Falana said.

State governors should fight for State Police: Falana said it was high time the 36 state governors challenged the federal government over the centralized policing in Nigeria. “The FG has violated the constitution; what I mean is section 214 of the constitution provides that there shall be only one police force in our country that shall bear arms but over the years, all other paramilitary force carry arms. “There is no way you can police over 170 million Nigerians with one police force. The federal police will deal with federal offence, the state police will deal with state offence. Even local government can have police.

Chief of Army Staff, Buratai should mind his business: In a clear attack on the Chief of Army Staff, Falana said Nigerian army has no business with internal security unless in dire situations. He also said Buratai has no moral right to harass Nigerians and teach on how to protect lives and properties in Enugu after it allegedly killed and buried Shi’ites in Kaduna state last December.

http://www.metronaija.com/2016/05/7-shocking-points-femi-falana-said-on.html

Falana is gradually coming back to his senses, he is beginning to say the truth once again after departing from that route for some years now.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by prospect11(m): 9:54pm On May 09, 2016
Its kinda rare to c people who wud say d truth no mata wat might komes next here in dis country, FEMI FALANA is just one of a kind, kudos sir, we av lotta problems in Nigeria n to say d fact, Nigeria Police Force is one of dem.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by don3e(m): 9:56pm On May 09, 2016
abbakacici:
The problem is that most of our governor are trugs
Only when is well defined. I see Governor using state police fight others when given the chance. May God help us.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by absalut: 11:05pm On May 09, 2016
In my own ears, he didn't propose a way forward. The only thing I heard was punish that Igbo man who said the police action was futile in the face of another attack
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Amavisca(m): 11:05pm On May 09, 2016
l stand to write BOLDLY that Femi Falana has always been heard since d days of d Zombies. All we need is a true Federalism while been specific on whose system of governance we want to copy(USA/UK)
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Wizzyblack3(m): 11:39pm On May 09, 2016
olafum1:
We really need state policing at this time.. .
Sir, what we need is not state Police, what we really need is for the major tribes(H, I, Y) in Nigeria to go their seperate ways. We don't have anything in common for fvck sake.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by soldierdollar(m): 12:34am On May 10, 2016
prettysolid:
Hi Landers would like to have a chat with anyone staying in Boston,Darthmouth or Lowell, MA or any part of Florida .

No
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by Afroconnect: 8:21am On May 10, 2016
Falana is the one true Sage we have left in Nigerian,may you live long sir.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by PrinceAfo911(m): 9:06am On May 10, 2016
Simple truth,though some political bewitched people will oppose this. but na truth the man talk.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by PrinceAfo911(m): 9:10am On May 10, 2016
Simple truth,though some political bewitched people will oppose this. but na truth the man talk.
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by kennytwins: 9:30am On May 10, 2016
hummy naa true talk
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by wacoj(m): 10:32am On May 10, 2016
Omoakinsuyi:

Do you have sense at all?
Re: Femi Falana On Channels TV Today: 7 Points He Made by greatman247(m): 10:36am On May 10, 2016
MasterofNL:

I don't think you reason well.

Can you point out a single lie in all that he said?

The man you quote is entitled to his own opinion and you have no moral right to question his sense of reasoning.

I agree with Falana on almost all the points he made but I totally disagreed with two of his points.

1. That IGP is not competent.

2. That military have no right to advise civilians on how to secure their lives in a democratic govt. And that military has no business in fighting Fulani Herdsmen in a democratic govt.

For God sake I watched the program too on Channels Tv. You can't say, military does not have to be use in the fight against the Fulani Herdsmen in a democratic govt.

Sometimes, our democracy need to be handle with strong hands else some bunch of fools will categorise on our weak democracy to still destroy the over protected democracy. We need strong laws that will guide against somethings in our society to be incorporate into our constitution for somethings to work.

America practised the same democracy too, and yet they used military to bring down Osama Bin Laden, and this does not happen during any war. It happens when Osama was in his relax mood, thinking all coast were cleared and no one was trailing him. Most times, you don't wait for something to degenerate into war before you act. Unless you want several lives to be lost.

I don't care how a problem is tackled, all I am after is just kill the problem before the problem kills you. I don't really care what means you use, use any means necessary. The same Falana complained during GEJ era that he did nothing against Boko-Haram, and now He hailed President Buhari for the progress he made tackling Boko Haram with military in democratic govt. That's to me is hypocrite. Why on earth will you now say Military should not be use to tackle the Fulani Herdsmen in a democratic govt? Do we fold our harms and watch innocent people die without doing anything? Sometime, some issue might be beyond the power of police then the military can come in. Like the issue of Boko-Haram. Can the Police face the Boko Haram? Why don't u suggest Police should face Boko Haram? Why should u now recommend that Police should be the only one to face the Fulani Herdsmen? What about Niger Delta Avengers hurting the whole Nigeria thinking they are hurting the govt alone? For the fact that you are a prominent does not means whatever you say is always right.

Military are necessary even though not all the time. If a democratic govt is so weak, if things are going wrong in the land, if there's so much corruption in the land military can seize power, there has been sizable evidence of this in some African countries. So the same military you refused to use to curb the menace of Fulani Herdsmen will topple a democratic govt who fails to tackle such issue and allow it get out of hands. For example if you use police and they fail and issue of Fulani Herdsmen gets out of hands military may topple such weak govt. This is why most democratic govt have woke up from their slumber to start involving military to tackle issues on time before they generate into something more serious. There are some issues that are way beyond Police. Police were on ground in Enugu and yet what happened?

President Buhari understands the 3rd world countries democracy, he knows if he use military they will talk and if he didn't they will still criticise that's why he is at a crossroad. Presidents use military, because in America they don't say because we are practising democracy we shouldn't use some form of military actions when necessary but its in this part of the world we still put everything in the hands of police and when things get out of hand we will be in state of confusion.

Now on the issue of IGP. I really think the IGP is very competent, to me he is the best Nigeria has ever have in recent years. For the fact that some Police fail or there are still bad eggs in the Police force does not means the IGP is not competent. So long the number of effective and efficient Police force outweigh the number of bad eggs and the number of the inefficient and ineffective ones. The IGP has brought some sanity to NPF and made the force to be a bit more attractive compare to what it used to be. I was passing through Police barrack in Ikeja, Lagos and I saw dilapidated buildings and almost share tears. This same IGP is currently building some houses for the Police Force and they are still under-construction. This man does not stay put in his office in Abuja most of the time when something happens. He goes to scene of crimes. He punishes police that are corrupt and that have commit any offence that provoke public outcry, all these were not in place before now. Before now, policeman can kill because of N20 and such policeman will go scot-free, in some case his colleagues might even cover him up and kill the case. The same IGP stop fees for bail even though some bad eggs still charge fee for bail but they do that to citizens that doesn't know of this info. The same IGP changed the dirty looking uniform of the police, and the same IGP tries to bring the police closer to the public to make them more friendly to the public. Before now, public have very bad perspective of the police. Some people won't even go to Police in time of trouble but now all these are gradually changing. Now police are paying attention to even the smallest details. The same IGP has improve the welfare of Police and promote them as at when due and reward them according to their performance too. Police is efficient nowadays. Lagos for example, police is making crime rate to reduce, some fools that kidnap for ransom are no more finding the business attractive. I don't like Police too before but I can see their work now. So truth must be told at all times, don't just criticise be face reality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AnambraDecides: Soludo's 90-Year-Old Father Hugs Him As They Celebrate (Video) / Olufunso Amosun Visits Korede Taiwo, Chained By Father / Ahmad Isah: Abba Kyari Shouldn’t Go Down For One Mistake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.