Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Is purgatory real? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is purgatory real? (3178 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 11:21am On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Sir, I was full flesh very active Catholic. Am not a stranger to anything you want to say. I preached it too.
Sir, If you have eternity in view, and you read your Bible yet don't ask some salient questions questioning what you are preaching now, Well...Maybe your heaven wont be the one the Bible is talking about. just saying.

Just Google Scott Hahn and read, he was a non Catholic Minister before his conversion, if you do read much then you can take on his books, any one that catches your fancy.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:23am On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

You see dear one, you don't ask questions, you ponificate and condemn. That's how your posts come out, because I have tried to engage you before. If you need a discuss, then let there be a discuss. With respect to "The great Controversy", hope you know you're with the mark of the beast if you don't observe the sabbath. How then do you see yourself as saved and the Catholics condemned? I will surely recommend books and links for any question you sincerely ask, that i cannot give you a simple answer here.
I don't Pontificate, am not a Pontiff.
What do you mean i am with the Mark of Beast if i don't observe Sabbath?
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:24am On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

Just Google Scott Hahn and read, he was a non Catholic Minister before his conversion, if you do read much then you can take on his books, any one that catches your fancy.
Is it a book or an Author?
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 11:25am On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Sir, I was full flesh very active Catholic. Am not a stranger to anything you want to say. I preached it too.
Sir, If you have eternity in view, and you read your Bible yet don't ask some salient questions questioning what you are preaching now, Well...Maybe your heaven wont be the one the Bible is talking about. just saying.
i dont know what they told you or what you preached.

all my questions have always been answered without doubt. if your faith was not strong enough and you went ahead preaching,and somehow you read something and lost path, your bad. its like a seed on a sandy soil.. it will spring up and blossom at first. but when the wind blows and the rain comes, it will give way.

you my friend, have given way. your -1 from the church..it gains +10 other more willing faithfuls. so dont go ahead with your conspiracy theories simply because you read something somewhere. am trying to make other catholics/protestants see why we do or say what we do.

if you wont listen or contribute positively..then please dont turn this to a brawl. move on and goodluck with your new found religion or faith.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 11:26am On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Is it a book or an Author?

Scott hahn is an author, he wrote books.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:32am On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

okay. I will prefer the Titles so will just look for their pdf versions
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:55am On May 12, 2016
joey150:
i dont know what they told you or what you preached.

all my questions have always been answered without doubt. if your faith was not strong enough and you went ahead preaching,and somehow you read something and lost path, your bad. its like a seed on a sandy soil.. it will spring up and blossom at first. but when the wind blows and the rain comes, it will give way.

you my friend, have given way. your -1 from the church..it gains +10 other more willing faithfuls. so dont go ahead with your conspiracy theories simply because you read something somewhere. am trying to make other catholics/protestants see why we do or say what we do.

if you wont listen or contribute positively..then please dont turn this to a brawl. move on and goodluck with your new found religion or faith.

Nobody is turning anything to a brawl. If you didn't want others opinions you wont post this on NL. As long as you remain a catholic, you'll never believe that the holy spirit can actually convict somebody. All you believe is that one Pastor has told someone this and that. No man has the ability to convict the heart of anyone, no man, no matter how anointed. Thats the Holy Spirit's work.

All I did was read the Bible, that's what happened. No body told me anything. It took me years to bring myself to trust any pastor.
As we were told in Catholic Church that all Pastors were false prophets who were only interested in performing fake miracles by going to the devil to get power, I completely believed and viewed every pastor as such.
When i started reading the Bible, i just couldn't drop it. I was intrigued by Jesus, You ask him a question, he will answer it, but not the way you want it to be answered, i needed more, so kept reading.
Yes,I followed the people i lived with then to their church, but nothing about what Pastor said affected me, because, i will quickly take my Catholic supremacy Stance, Judge and Condemn him, just sit there and wait for him to finish.
One thing is that when you read the Bible with hunger, the Holy Spirits finds space in you, and can talk to you. so, i was rebuked, then i started listening.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 12:08pm On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

Okay, i have seen Scot Hahn. But his book doesnt seem to have pdf versions.

While we are at this let me also recommend this book to you. "Far From Rome, Near To God". The testimonies of 50 Converted Catholic Priests. Compiled by " Richard Bennett" a former Dominican Catholic Priest.
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 12:13pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Nobody is turning anything to a brawl. If you didn't want others opinions you wont post this on NL. As long as you remain a catholic, you'll never believe that the holy spirit can actually convict somebody. All you believe is that one Pastor has told someone this and that. No man has the ability to convict the heart of anyone, no man, no matter how anointed. Thats the Holy Spirit's work.

All I did was read the Bible, that's what happened. No body told me anything. It took me years to bring myself to trust any pastor.
As we were told in Catholic Church that all Pastors were false prophets who were only interested in performing fake miracles by going to the devil to get power, I completely believed and viewed every pastor as such.
When i started reading the Bible, i just couldn't drop it. I was intrigued by Jesus, You ask him a question, he will answer it, but not the way you want it to be answered, i needed more, so kept reading.
Yes,I followed the people i lived with then to their church, but nothing about what Pastor said affected me, because, i will quickly take my Catholic supremacy Stance, Judge and Condemn him, just sit there and wait for him to finish.
One thing is that when you read the Bible with hunger, the Holy Spirits finds space in you, and can talk to you. so, i was rebuked, then i started listening.
dont say "we" ,we clearly had differnet catholic upbringing. as i cannot relate with anything you typed up there.
i dont see where the catholic church teaches to condemn pastors.
guy ehn what am saying is let those that want to understand do so. i dont like this long stretch of conversation thats totally different from my intention for this thread.

to each man his own. if you are better off where you are than where you were,then by all means enjoy your new found Christ.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Nobody: 12:53pm On May 12, 2016
joey150:
Well am picking off where i left, hopefully I'll update a little more today. Depends on how much time i have.

So the deal is, if we can find a common ground that all sins are not equal you'll have to agree wit me that all punishments can also not be equal.
Remember all references are from the bible.

1st instance
Matthew 5:22 "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the Council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. "
Here Jesus clearly states 2 offences and outlines different offences. council and hellfire.

2nd instance
Matthew 12:31-32 "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. "
Here we see sins against the holy spirit are actually different from other types of sin.

3rd instance
Luke 12:47-48 "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. 48. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." same unequal offences attract unequal punishments.

Well last example John: 19. 11. "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin."
Take note of Greater sin.
All these does not prove purgatory, forgiveness is only possible on earth not when you die
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 1:58pm On May 12, 2016
solite3:
All these does not prove purgatory, forgiveness is only possible on earth not when you die
chill am not done yet... its step by step. am not saying you would be forgiven of all your sins once you die.

I'll come to your part soon.. on my next update
Re: Is purgatory real? by rejosom(m): 2:07pm On May 12, 2016
If heaven and hell are real.... then purgatory must be. The question then is 'are heaven and hell real?'
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 2:24pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

okay. I will prefer the Titles so will just look for their pdf versions

Alright. Start with this "Rome sweet Home, Our journey back to Catholicism"
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 2:26pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Okay, i have seen Scot Hahn. But his book doesnt seem to have pdf versions.

While we are at this let me also recommend this book to you. "Far From Rome, Near To God". The testimonies of 50 Converted Catholic Priests. Compiled by " Richard Bennett" a former Dominican Catholic Priest.

It's a deal, I'll check it out. Try here https://www.ebookscatolicos.com/rome-sweet-home-scott-and-kimberly-hahn/
Re: Is purgatory real? by Geist(m): 2:42pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Have seen so many seperated Christians begin their arguments with the bolded but ask them if they were baptized in the Catholic Church and which catechism classes and for how long they attended these classes and you will find just how far away from catholism they were while been (in their own words) "Catholics".
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 2:57pm On May 12, 2016
Geist:

Have seen so many seperated Christians begin their arguments with the bolded but ask them if they were baptized in the Catholic Church and which catechism classes and for how long they attended these classes and you will find just how far away from catholism they were while been (in their own words) "Catholics".

My brother, baptism and Catechism classes aren't enough really. Even some who got these, While baptism doesn't imbue knowledge; but claims you for Christ, catechism as presently practiced is likened to milk (1cor3:2), time comes when the catholic needs solid food and that's what they didn't wait to get, the solid food cooked in the one Holy Church, the Pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15. This, they should have made effort to get.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:40pm On May 12, 2016
Geist:

Hey, i did Catechism, as young as i was, the Seminarian who took us wanted to have sex with me. At that tender age.
Guy, Lets not go into this okay?
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 3:45pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Funny man. Root of Christianity in Catholicism. Did your Pope tell you that Christ was Catholic too? But of course he did, and you believed him, and why not, you believe Apostle Peter was a Catholic Pope why wont you believe Christ was Catholic. Smh
Just imagine what we all believed until some of us started reading the Bible for ourselves.

Dude, High jacking another persons property will never make it yours, shout, scream, cry about it, the truth cant be suppresses for too long.
The Catholic religion High jacking Christianity can never make Christianity Catholic.

The Catholic Religion compiled the Bible, now makes Catholicism the originators of Christianity? with all the blatant disobedience to the very Word God you still say Christianity has its Origin in Catholicism?
Guy, try being human for once and pick your Bible, O wait!!!!, you don't have a Bible.
Maybe you should borrow a Bible and read Apst Paul's Epistles and see where Christianity was concentrated long before the Papacy.

Man, don't get me started.
You talk about me being delusional, i guess you dont really know what that word means, you just pick it up becos you hear atheists using it. If there are delusional beings, you are the very specimen.

So you were told Matin Luther wanted to marry that was why he left the Catholic religion?
Well... should i expect the truth from satan? can the father of lies tell the truth?

So you weren't told he was posted to head a Parish, and since only heads of Parishes had access to certain information, he had access to a chess with so many books locked away, and while he was curious to know what kind of books were termed "anathema" to read, he found the Bible amongst them and started reading for himself?
Can you imagine a Catholic priests not having full access to the Bible he should be preaching?
All they had access to were parchments fill with Errors and half truths. Do know who the Friars were?
Have your senses taken leave of you?
Did you not see were it was written in the Bible that "to avoid forncation every man should marry his wife and every woman shd marry her husband?"
Is marriage a sin? will you condemn a man who moved to fulfill scriptures?
You were not told how Luther read certain things that were at variance with what the Catholic religion promulgated, how he went to the Bishop seeking clarification, but was told to focus on what he was sent there to do. They didn't tell you, how he was reported to the higher authority and was transfered from that parish to another parish, while there he started preaching what he saw from the Bible directly. You weren't told how the Catholic religion persecuted a man for preaching from the Bible? Do you know how many Christians the Catholic religion burnt alive tied to stakes because they read the Bible?
Do you know how many Bibles Translated into different languages the Catholic religion burnt alongside their translators?
Were you told why the Catholic religion insisted on having the Bible in a Latin language, a dead language spoken by a few people? was Latin the language of those who wrote the Bible?
All was for control. Dish out only what they should know. "Animal Farm" Tactics.
Guy, Buy this book "The Great Controversy" and read, when you finish and still stand for catholicism, then know that the devil has got you for real.
You know what? Am happy you are now an Atheist, out of All shackles of religion, Christ will meet you.
I also suggest u read Luther's story after he left d catholic church. Why he got married to a catholic nun. U can believe whatever u want about Luther but it does not distort historical facts. Oh let me guess u don't even know ur church history. And d bible was in Latin, Greek and Aramaic. Mind u, only lay faithfuls were not allowed to own a bible but priest and religious could own one. And Luther being an Augustian monk was entitled to one. U think he did not have more interior motives than "spreading d truth"
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:45pm On May 12, 2016
Geist:

Hey, i did Catechism, as young as i was, the Seminarian who took us wanted to have sex with me. At that tender age. Can you imagine losing your virginity to a Priest? God saved me from that satanic onslaught. The Reverend Father who Baptized me smoked Cigarette. Before confession, he will go out behind the Parish and smoke. One occasions i and another girl provided the fire which he used to lit his cigarette because he had no lighter with him.
Guy, Lets not go into this okay?
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:46pm On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

It's a deal, I'll check it out. Try here https://www.ebookscatolicos.com/rome-sweet-home-scott-and-kimberly-hahn/
Okay, thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:51pm On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

Sir, this link still took me to where my Google search took me. I still cant down load. there arw no pdf versions. okay, i will try the glean whatever i can from Hahn.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 3:52pm On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

Sir, this link still took me to where my Google search took me. I still cant download. there are no pdf versions. okay, i will try and glean whatever i can from Hahn.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 4:24pm On May 12, 2016
joey150:
dont say "we" ,we clearly had differnet catholic upbringing. as i cannot relate with anything you typed up there.
i dont see where the catholic church teaches to condemn pastors.
guy ehn what am saying is let those that want to understand do so. i dont like this long stretch of conversation thats totally different from my intention for this thread.

to each man his own. if you are better off where you are than where you were,then by all means enjoy your new found Christ.
If you say the Catholic Church doesn't Condemn Pastors, then i will really be disappointed in you, because not long ago i had to attend Mars, the same thing. The Priest would talk about his sermon, it was all about the ills of the Pentecostal Pastors. Pls save your face don't lie this kind of Blatant lie. Imaoo

Your initial Topic is a Complete Heresy from which ever Angle you want to hold it.
The catholic church is like Islam, coming up with concepts then trying to use the Bible to give it credibility.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 4:27pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Sir, this link still took me to where my Google search took me. I still cant download. there are no pdf versions. okay, i will try and glean whatever i can from Hahn.

Look, I have this book in hard copy, but because of you, I now have to download a PDF copy of the book, from the same link i gave you. I am looking at it now as i type. Click on the link, scroll down pass the "Forward" written, then look at the three downloadable versions, PDF is the third, click on it and scroll down, (don't change the language if the icon pops up) then click download. It's that easy.
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 4:35pm On May 12, 2016
ValentineMary:

I also suggest u read Luther's story after he left d catholic church. Why he got married to a catholic nun. U can believe whatever u want about Luther but it does not distort historical facts. Oh let me guess u don't even know ur church history. And d bible was in Latin, Greek and Aramaic. Mind u, only lay faithfuls were not allowed to own a bible but priest and religious could own one. And Luther being an Augustian monk was entitled to one. U think he did not have more interior motives than "spreading d truth"
He had a Bible? really? So, you are saying he had a Bible but never read it until he discovered the one in the chess and couldn't believe his eyes what he saw from the Bible? Wait, do you remember we live in an internet age where information is at our finger tips?
So what stemmed his persecution?
He married because he discovered he was entitled to a wife. why kill yourself trying control emotions when you can marry?
Friend, I think i should be the one telling you, you don't know your religion. My religion is my Bible, and i read it. Go and learn the history of yours.
This is the reason why almost all Catholics are turning atheists.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Syncan(m): 4:39pm On May 12, 2016
solite3:

He simply quoted Scriptures to prove that all sins are not equal, did you disprove any of them?
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 4:43pm On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

Look, I have this book in hard copy, but because of you, I now have to download a PDF copy of the book, from the same link i gave you. I am looking at it now as i type. Click on the link, scroll down pass the "Forward" written, then look at the three downloadable versions, PDF is the third, click on it and scroll down, (don't change the language if the icon pops up) then click download. It's that easy.
alright then, let me do it again
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 4:50pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

If you say the Catholic Church doesn't Condemn Pastors, then i will really be disappointed in you, because not long ago i had to attend Mars, the same thing. The Priest would talk about his sermon, it was all about the ills of the Pentecostal Pastors. Pls save your face don't lie this kind of Blatant lie. Imaoo

Your initial Topic is a Complete Heresy from which ever Angle you want to hold it.
The catholic church is like Islam, coming up with concepts then trying to use the Bible to give it credibility.
what happened when Adam ate the forbidden fruit?? and his eyes where open.. haha i know how you feel like your eyes are open and you know all.
anyway,where did you pitch your tent after your "celebrated" leave from the catholic church?
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 4:56pm On May 12, 2016
joey150:
what happened when Adam ate the forbidden fruit?? and his eyes where open.. haha i know how you feel like your eyes are open and you know all.
anyway,where did you pitch your tent after your "celebrated" leave from the catholic church?
Nobody knows it all. Nobody can know it all. am a student, i read. Just being on this forum i have learned a lot, because i follow links and download books and read. Information is Power.
My Bible is my religion not where i am.
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 5:27pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

He had a Bible? really? So, you are saying he had a Bible but never read it until he discovered the one in the chess and couldn't believe his eyes what he saw from the Bible? Wait, do you remember we live in an internet age where information is at our finger tips?
So what stemmed his persecution?
He married because he discovered he was entitled to a wife. why kill yourself trying control emotions when you can marry?
Friend, I think i should be the one telling you, you don't know your religion. My religion is my Bible, and i read it. Go and learn the history of yours.
This is the reason why almost all Catholics are turning atheists.

Before one comes out with a claim, do u know how long he would be thinking of d idea. Get ur facts right. He was entitled to a bible and when he could take it no more, he posted his argument on d door of d church so that scholars could come and argue. The king warned him but he refused to put his ideas down. He was later excommunicated from d church. And he took off with a nun to go and Bleep her. lol.

And I don't have a religion.
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 5:42pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Nobody knows it all. Nobody can know it all. am a student, i read. Just being on this forum i have learned a lot, because i follow links and download books and read. Information is Power.
My Bible is my religion not where i am.
reading is not the problem..what you read is.

i dont know what you read or accepted or chose to believe. there are books on the devil that some may read and become his wing man after that. so am not to obseessed with someone telling me they read.

anyway, if you cannot disprove my thread with any reasonable arguements other than you read a book or your new found hatered for the catholic faith, i rather you dont comment at all, seriously. because its making the thread longer than i would want it to.

if you think its wrong or fake or devilish, lets hear your own part of the arguement. period!
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 6:00pm On May 12, 2016
joey150:
reading is not the problem..what you read is.

i dont know what you read or accepted or chose to believe. there are books on the devil that some may read and become his wing man after that. so am not to obseessed with someone telling me they read.

anyway, if you cannot disprove my thread with any reasonable arguements other than you read a book or your new found hatered for the catholic faith, i rather you dont comment at all, seriously. because its making the thread longer than i would want it to.

if you think its wrong or fake or devilish, lets hear your own part of the arguement. period!
What is in your thread to disprove? You who is th Op can you Proof your doctrine of Purgatory from and with the Scriptures?
Guy, believe what u like.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Muammar Gaddafi’s Prophecies Before His Death / The 14 Most Abominable Bible Verses / How Many Christians Truly Believe Mr President's End Of The World Prediction?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.