Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,333 members, 7,957,884 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

Is purgatory real? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is purgatory real? (3434 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 6:03pm On May 12, 2016
ValentineMary:

Before one comes out with a claim, do u know how long he would be thinking of d idea. Get ur facts right. He was entitled to a bible and when he could take it no more, he posted his argument on d door of d church so that scholars could come and argue. The king warned him but he refused to put his ideas down. He was later excommunicated from d church. And he took off with a nun to go and Bleep her. lol.

And I don't have a religion.
What ideas were there? You make it seem like a man marrying is a sin. A posted the reason celibacy is Catholicism, you pretended not to see it
Re: Is purgatory real? by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 12, 2016
Syncan:

He simply quoted Scriptures to prove that all sins are not equal, did you disprove any of them?
do you even believe the bible?
Re: Is purgatory real? by ValentineMary(m): 8:46pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

What ideas were there? You make it seem like a man marrying is a sin. A posted the reason celibacy is Catholicism, you pretended not to see it
It is not a bad thing. But when a religion is founded on someone's lust then....
Re: Is purgatory real? by lacum: 9:08pm On May 12, 2016
op i suggest u open a new thread n type everything b4 u start answering questns. so that people dont distract u n spoil ur thread
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 9:26pm On May 12, 2016
ValentineMary:

It is not a bad thing. But when a religion is founded on someone's lust then....
Lolzzzzz. Your case is hopeless.
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 9:39pm On May 12, 2016
Am creating a new thread..and hopefully I'll make all the posts before you people swarm in.

I'll post the link when am fine.

A big thank you to all of you who distorted this thread undecided undecided

Ok check out THE NEW AND UPDATED THREAD HERE.
https://www.nairaland.com/3102047/purgatory....real-fairytale-updated#45566978 .
Cc. Lacum
Solite3
Syncan
Analice107
ValentineMary
Geist
Kamsified
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 10:31pm On May 12, 2016
joey150:
Am creating a new thread..and hopefully I'll make all the posts before you people swarm in.

I'll post the link when am fine.

A big thank you to all of you who distorted this thread undecided undecided

Ok check out THE NEW AND UPDATED THREAD HERE.
https://www.nairaland.com/3102047/purgatory....real-fairytale-updated#45566978 .
Cc. Lacum
Solite3
Syncan
Analice107
ValentineMary
Geist
Lol. What happened to the other one, you ve closed it?
Re: Is purgatory real? by joey150(m): 10:45pm On May 12, 2016
analice107:

Lol. What happened to the other one, you ve closed it?
no jor.this one is full of too many arguements when i haven't even started the main gist. i have created new arguement ground for you.

chai, and i really need to know what happened to you. like seriously
Re: Is purgatory real? by analice107: 11:34pm On May 12, 2016
joey150:
no jor.this one is full of too many arguements when i haven't even started the main gist. i have created new arguement ground for you.

chai, and i really need to know what happened to you. like seriously
To tell you the truth, i read the Bible. Am serious. It took me a very long time to trust any Pastor. My Bible is still my religion.
I may not come to this new thread if all we do is argue. I don't see it as argument, Its a discussion.
Am fagged out already.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 4:49am On May 04, 2023
joey150:
purgatory is gotten from the latin word purgare which means to purge or to cleanse.
It is the purification kept for souls who die in God's grace and friendship of God but still have some imperfection in them. In order that such souls may acquire the unblemished perfection required to enter heaven. To further understand purgatory to the fullest, we have to note and agree with 3basic facts. nothing defiled shall enter heaven All sins are not equal. Finally we need to comprehend why people opppse the idea that purgatory exists. In my next posts i will butress on those 3 points individually. And chill, I'll make references to the bible too, just so you dont conclude am making up things or delusional. See you on my next post!
I am afraid the idea is born entirely of fairy tales as all the purging that is necessary in order to prepare oneself for the final judgment to come, and this for those who are born-again takes place here in this life before death. All those who are born-again and hence have eternal life as a result, sleep in their graves until the time of the resurrection and eventual judgment of the goats and sheep in the Kingdom of God. undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 8:58pm On May 05, 2023
joey150:
■ They always say in James 2:10-11 where saint james says ... Well they literally interpreting this verses to mean that all sins are equal. Let us now examine what he really meat to say whosoever shall keep the whole law,but offend one point is become guilty of all". let us not interpret this passage out of context. He only meant to warn against selective obiedience of the commandments. If all inequities where equal then God should punish all sinners equally, this will make God a liar then because Jesus said in Romans 2:6 and 2corinthians 5:10 that God will pay every man according to his deeds.
■ You may wonder what equality of sin has to do with purgatory. So many things infact! Those who oppose purgatory know that of they admit that all sins are not equal then they must accept that all punishments are also not equal. They will be faced with the plain fact that states that "different degrees of sins imply different degrees of punishment. and they Will be left with the inevitable consequence as to believe in the reality of purgatory. Well.. I hope to come back and continue. Click thr follow button if you want to get back where i left off.
1. But Jesus Christ did not say anything in Romans 2 vs 6 and 2 Corinthians 5 vs 10. Rather, Paul recorded his own views in those letters which you quote from. As for what Paul wrote in those cases, well, he simply reechoed the teaching of Jesus Christ found in Matthew 25 vs 31 - 46 where Jesus Christ explained that all of the unrighteous will be judged the same whereas all the righteous will also be judged the same. undecided

2. What Jesus Christ said will in fact be judged is righteousness vs unrighteousness meaning it does not matter the details of one's sins or whether you think all sins are equal or not equal. God is only concerned with whether one meets up with His standard of righteousness or not. And the righteous are first holy — no longer slaves to sin— before then becoming approved righteous by God. So, this discourse of yours is clearly an unnecessary conversation for anyone who in fact knows God to have at all.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 7:56pm On May 06, 2023
ValentineMary:
The purgatory stuff is d dumbest stuff I have ever heard. In some catholic text, it is even written that most fauthfuls and some saints would go to purgatory. They claim it is an outreach of God's mercy but rather it makes catholicism look more stupid and unrealistic.
ROFLMAO
cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

Re: Is purgatory real? by TenQ: 8:27pm On May 06, 2023
joey150:
what have you people turned my thread into?? for no reason i was banned for 24hours from posting in religious section! wow! big kudos to the spam bot .

hopefully tomorrow morning,i am continuing my purgatory talk . i urge you to reason the facts with me as am going to be very factual and reference the bible .
@valentinemary and @analice107 please this thread was created for reference and enlightenment. i urge you all to please maintain decorum here.
I've been patiently reading your post about purgatory. There is a scripture I want you to factor in when you continue your talk.

Rev 20:15:
"And whoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire."

1. If a person's name is NOT found written in the book of life (Register of the Children of God) , can he enter paradise after he has spent some time in paradise?
2. If we are saved by Grace through Faith , does purgatory NOT negate the finished work of Christ?
Eph 2:8-9:
"For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Re: Is purgatory real? by EastAlchemist: 11:47pm On May 06, 2023
Makes me remember Dante
And the divine comedy
Nice though
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On May 08, 2023
analice107:
■ Funny man. Root of Christianity in Catholicism. Did your Pope tell you that Christ was Catholic too? But of course he did, and you believed him, and why not, you believe Apostle Peter was a Catholic Pope why wont you believe Christ was Catholic. Smh Just imagine what we all believed until some of us started reading the Bible for ourselves. Dude, High jacking another persons property will never make it yours, shout, scream, cry about it, the truth cant be suppresses for too long. The Catholic religion High jacking Christianity can never make Christianity Catholic. The Catholic Religion compiled the Bible, now makes Catholicism the originators of Christianity? with all the blatant disobedience to the very Word God you still say Christianity has its Origin in Catholicism?
Guy, try being human for once and pick your Bible, O wait!!!!, you don't have a Bible. Maybe you should borrow a Bible and read Apst Paul's Epistles and see where Christianity was concentrated long before the Papacy.
If the foundation of the house is built on sinking sand, how can it be said to be fit to live in? undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 7:06pm On May 11, 2023
analice107:
■ Sir i do not claim to know too much. wont it be nice if you can refute my questions with points?
Yes, i read "The Great Controversy" written by an adventist, but am not an Adventist. If what Ellen White wrote are lies, bring up your rebuttal. we know that lies sell, but the truth prevails at last. If the Catholic Religion didn't do even worst of what she is accused of doing, then lets talk.
I love History so i read, i wont object reading whatever you feel its the truth. Please post me links, recommend Books and i will read. Thank you.
The Catholic church happens to be your mother church, the foundation upon which even your movement is built on. If the Catholic church is sinking sand to you what makes you think your church is on different ground? undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On May 13, 2023
Syncan:
■ You see dear one, you don't ask questions, you ponificate and condemn. That's how your posts come out, because I have tried to engage you before. If you need a discuss, then let there be a discuss. With respect to "The great Controversy", hope you know you're with the mark of the beast if you don't observe the sabbath. How then do you see yourself as saved and the Catholics condemned? I will surely recommend books and links for any question you sincerely ask, that i cannot give you a simple answer here.
grin

Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 8:17pm On May 15, 2023
joey150:
Well am picking off where i left, hopefully I'll update a little more today. Depends on how much time i have. So the deal is, if we can find a common ground that all sins are not equal you'll have to agree wit me that all punishments can also not be equal. Remember all references are from the bible.Matthew 5:22 ,Matthew 12:31-32 Luke 12:47-48 Well last example John: 19. 11. "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin." Take note of Greater sin.
God judges on the basis of whether one is righteous or not — irrespective of the actual sins(or total weight of each sin) committed. undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On May 26, 2023
Geist:
■ Have seen so many seperated Christians begin their arguments with the bolded but ask them if they were baptized in the Catholic Church and which catechism classes and for how long they attended these classes and you will find just how far away from catholism they were while been (in their own words) "Catholics".
Why do you require these classes if Jesus Christ is indeed what you want? undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 3:28pm On May 29, 2023
Syncan:
■ My brother, [s]baptism and Catechism classes aren't enough really[/s]. Even some who got these, While baptism doesn't imbue knowledge; but claims you for Christ, [s]catechism as presently practiced is likened to milk[/s] (1cor3:2), time comes when the catholic needs solid food and that's what they didn't wait to get, the solid food cooked in the one Holy Church, the Pillar and ground of truth 1 Tim 3:15. This, they should have made effort to get.
So, all these foods, you get from the mouth of men, when then will you get anything from God Himself who stated that He alone is teacher over those who belong to Him? undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Geist(m): 6:44pm On Jul 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Why do you require these classes if Jesus Christ is indeed what you want? undecided
what does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to argue that anyone who wants Christs does not need to be taught anything? If that's the the case you pick your fight with Christ himself who demands that his teaching be taught through out the ends of the earth.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 6:47pm On Jul 15, 2023
Geist:
■ what does that have to do with anything? Are you trying to argue that anyone who wants Christs does not need to be taught anything? If that's the the case you pick your fight with Christ himself who demands that his teaching be taught through out the ends of the earth.
According to Jesus Christ, once you are born-again and become a part of His fold, you should no longer have any other teachers or masters besides Him. Is it that you are not born-again or you don't believe the words of Jesus Christ? undecided

I have no fights with Jesus Christ in this as I accept His teachings and commandments as is. undecided
Re: Is purgatory real? by Geist(m): 6:49pm On Jul 15, 2023
analice107:

Hey, i did Catechism, as young as i was, the Seminarian who took us wanted to have sex with me. At that tender age.
Guy, Lets not go into this okay?
So sorry that's your experience. There are so many who experienced the same in schools but that does not make schools in general useless or bad. They are still very much a good thing.
Re: Is purgatory real? by Geist(m): 6:51pm On Jul 15, 2023
Kobojunkie:
According to Jesus Christ, once you are born-again and become a part of His fold, you should no longer have any other teachers or masters besides Him. Is it that you are not born-again or you don't believe the words of Jesus Christ? undecided

I have no fights with Jesus Christ in this as I accept His teachings and commandments as is. undecided
where did Jesus tell you that?
Re: Is purgatory real? by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On Jul 15, 2023
Geist:
where did Jesus tell you that?
Matthew 23 vs 8 - 10 & Matthew 6 vs 24 echoing what God Himself said in Jeremiah 31 vs 31 - 34 & Ezekiel 34 vs 1 - 31 among other places. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jesus FC VS Naija Church Leaders UNITED: And The Winner Is...Jesus Of Course!!! / "original Sin"-linking It To An Imperfect God! / School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.