Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:26 AM

School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem (3376 Views)

Church Aborts Couple’s Wedding Over Groom’s Refusal To Remove Designer Shoes / Ok, Enough Is Enough ,it's Time To Deport God From Nigeria. / How to differentiate the Spirit Of God from the diabolical spirit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by AOmega: 2:33am On Dec 27, 2012
A North Carolina elementary school forced a first grade student to change a poem she had written for her grandfather for a Veteran’s Day Event because a line contained the name of God in it.
The student, who attends West Marion Elementary School was selected to read the poem as part of a special school event. Her poem was a tribute to her grandfather, a Vietnam war veteran. The line that caused the controversy said: “He prayed to God for peace, he prayed to God for strength.”

Full Story:
http://beginningandend.com/school-forces-first-grader-to-remove-god-from-poem/
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 3:01am On Dec 27, 2012
I was punished for writing "God" without capitalizing (god). You christians like to cry after being the oppressors in the first place.

By the way, the school was within the law; a public school should not endorse any religion- or it has equally showcase all religions even disbelief.

Separation of church and state.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by MrAnony1(m): 4:39am On Dec 27, 2012
It is sad how many fail to see that they have become the same monster they claim to fight against
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 4:50am On Dec 27, 2012
Mr_Anony: It is sad how many fail to see that they have become the same monster they claim to fight against

Ignorance in excess.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by wiegraf: 5:52am On Dec 27, 2012
Overkill? Maybe. The issue is with the poem being read publicly, the school should not have had her read it aloud in the first place. It's (obviously) in no way her fault though. As to why she should not have been allowed to present it, religious freedom, as they said. This means NO religion gets a say in how the government or public institutions are run, non get endorsed or encouraged. They get in, they are discriminating against other people's religious beliefs, even by default. You keep that stuff private, or at least completely separate from government.

They aren't supposed to be encouraging any religion, they're supposed to be neutral. Their allowing her article to be publicly read could be considered as their endorsing her religious beliefs, or even just encouraging them. For instance, if a question is posed in class, is the teacher is supposed to explain to them how god would look after their souls and take them to heaven? While probably sending the godless vietnamese to hell, yes? So what are those from other religions (like buddhist vietnamese) supposed to make of that? Many of those would consider even going to heaven as blasphemy, yes? Even atheists would find it insulting (you're rewarding me for being good?? I don't need any rewards, thank you very much! What nonsense, so I should have been evil just because there was no reward?). They should accept her claims over theirs?

If the school's okay endorsing her religious beliefs, then I suppose they might as well be fine with creationism in class, seeing as it's a religious fact. You guys have no problem with that I suppose, being xtians yes? Then you should not have a problem with valhalla as heaven, giant turtles holding the earth up, zeus smiting a few heathens with lightning, uncle moh cutting the moon in half, sharia, local jazzmen and their various practices or even the necessity of human sacrifices to the gods (mayan style, even if a dead religion, it still was a religion) etc etc, being taught as fact or endorsed in schools, yes? Or is xtianity the only religion, what of the others?

So no, no religion is schools or any government agency. Keep religious beliefs private, or at least out of government.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by tobechi20(m): 6:10am On Dec 27, 2012
Isnt it d grandfather? Is d granddad nt a xtian
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by UjSizzle(f): 6:33am On Dec 27, 2012
Rubbish. If they have a problem with her tribute containing 'God', why did they chose her to read it?
Since when are tributes edited to suit the listeners? It's supposed to come from a person's heart, what they did was wrong.
And yes i would still think it wrong if she had amadioha in there and was asked to exchange it with God.

2 Likes

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 27, 2012
A-Omega:
A North Carolina elementary school forced a first grade student to change a poem she had written for her grandfather for a Veteran’s Day Event because a line contained the name of God in it.
The student, who attends West Marion Elementary School was selected to read the poem as part of a special school event. Her poem was a tribute to her grandfather, a Vietnam war veteran. The line that caused the controversy said: “He prayed to God for peace, he prayed to God for strength.”

Full Story:
http://beginningandend.com/school-forces-first-grader-to-remove-god-from-poem/

Good morning sir,

This really is a tough one and quite controversial. I am a Christian and my first impulse was to condemn the actions of the school and scream: FIRST AMENDMENT but on second thought, I believe what that parent did can be done by any Christian parent. At least I know that I won't want my child to be influenced 'negatively' in school if I can help it. For instance, if another child whose parents are satanists comes to school with a poem that exults the devil, are we as Christians going to sit back and allow the school permit such a poem? If indeed we won't, then can't we be said to be guilty of what we accuse these parents for? If every Tom, Di.ck and Mariah decides to come to school with whatever poem exulting whomever they worship, won't it lead to anarchy and a lack of order? In this light, I understand perfectly the dilemma of the principal and why he had to put a stop to it.

We might want to argue that the action of the principal is against the first amendment and given that the student's poem is not part of the school's curriculum then the issue of separating church and state does not arise. If we are to go by these arguments then every child would be free to bring in whatever they believe in to school and those who believe in insulting our dear Lord would have multiple poems in one day. With this in mind, I support firmly the decision of the principal and frankly I think he deserves a medal for his stance.

Please don't get me wrong, I believe firmly that God should be taught in schools but not in public schools. If someone wants his or her child to know about God from the school then enroll your child in a private school with such curriculum. But frankly I believe the duty of teaching a child about God should come from the parents and not the school.

In summary, I believe that religion (including Atheism for those who practice like a religion)should be kept away from public schools. If you want your child to learn about God then enroll that child in a private school with such facility. If we want to shove the first amendment in the face of the principal then we should be ready to accept the can of worms that comes with the package.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Heatblast(m): 12:17pm On Dec 27, 2012
^^^
Brilliant
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 1:10pm On Dec 31, 2012
Mr_Anony: It is sad how many fail to see that they have become the same monster they claim to fight against

This is precisely why it was necessary to go into much trouble (including unpleasant but necessary heated exchanges) on that thread where I took the pains to explain the real meaning of "separation of church and state". As I said then, many of the evangelical atheists who shout "separation of church and state" are quite ignorant of the real concept while some others are duplicitous and seek to use it to destroy any trace of religion wherever they can get away with it.

https://www.nairaland.com/934799/reasons-why-obama-not-christian/4#10838785

https://www.nairaland.com/934799/reasons-why-obama-not-christian/13#10999290

etc

cool

Edited
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 1:25pm On Dec 31, 2012
Now let us change the line that caused the protest and let us assume that the girl's grandfather was an atheist. So she writes:

"My grandfather was an atheist; he did not believe in god but he looked for strength within himself"

Compare and contrast . . . . . wink

cool

PS by the way: I wouldn't have a problem if a school girl reads: "my grandfather was a satanist; he found that his satanism gave him inner strength"
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma: Now let us change the line that caused the protest and let us assume that the girl's grandfather was an atheist. So she writes:

"My grandfather was an atheist; he did not believe in god but he looked for strength within himself"

Compare and contrast . . . . . wink

cool

PS by the way: I wouldn't have a problem if a school girl reads: "my grandfather was a satanist; he found that his satanism gave him inner strength"

You lie to make your point? Christians these days.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma:

This is precisely why it was necessary to go into much trouble (including unpleasant but necessary heated exchanges) on that thread where I took the pains to explain the real meaning of "separation of church and state". As I said then, many of the evangelical atheists who shout "separation of church and state" are quite ignorant of the real concept while some others are duplicitous and seek to use it to destroy any trace of religion wherever they can get away with it.

etc

cool

Edited

A real christian has given you clear reason from the point of the constitution and law why the school was within its rights. You can lie and twist all you want. Funny how you are behaving like decietful snakes that even your bible claims are evil
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Ymodulus: 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2012
Logicboy03:

You lie to make your point? Christians these days.

yeah it surpprised me

1 Like

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:16pm On Dec 31, 2012
By the way, having followed the link I found the comments interesting. smiley

I'd like to just mention something. I've been living in Germany now for a while after being a GI, and a few years ago I was looking at a flee-market, and saw this small old hard covered book. It was the New Testament, which was given to soldiers from 1941-44. Inside the cover is a message from the Commander in Chief at the time, FDR. It says as follows: The White House, Washington. March 6, 1941. To the members of the Army: As commander in Chief I take pleasure in commending the reading of the Bible to all who serve in the armed forces of the United States. Throughout the centuries men of many faiths and diverse origins have found in the Sacred Book words of wisdom, counsel and inspiration. It is a fountain of strength and now, as always, an aid in attaining the highest aspirations of the human soul. Very sincerely yours, Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Whether one liked FRD or not is not why I send this, it is because it is a wonderful thing to behold a time when the Lord still received reverence. Thank You.

One of my teachers explained this to me when I was in High School. Separation of church and state meant that the school or a school official couldn't endorse a religion, or lead a prayer at a school. But, a student could endorse a religion, or lead a prayer if they wanted. Separation limited the school and the teachers, but not the students. The idea that she couldn't use the word god because one person complained is ridiculous. You can't please everyone and someone is always going to be upset, that doesn't mean you have no freedoms. I hope the people involved with the girls censorship get reprimanded for this ridiculous small mindedness

And especially the one below smiley

The Constitution guarantees us "freedom OF religion" not freedom FROM religion. I totally agree with REMant. The STATE cannot coerce us to pay taxes to a STATE RELIGION but that's exactly what we're being forced to do. The religion is known as "Humanism."

cool

1 Like

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:18pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ymodulus:

yeah it surpprised me

Does the fact that it "surprised" you make it a "lie"? smiley

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2012
^^^^

1) The pupil has the right to express her religion in the school.

2) The school can not make her expression official.

By allowing her to make that expression in a school organized event, the school is making it official.

Common sense.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:23pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ymodulus:

yeah it surpprised me

Do you notice that another poster said something similar ----- using Amadioha? Did that also "surprise" you and was it too a "lie"? smiley

Here:
uj_sizzle: Rubbish. If they have a problem with her tribute containing 'God', why did they chose her to read it?
Since when are tributes edited to suit the listeners? It's supposed to come from a person's heart, what they did was wrong.
And yes i would still think it wrong if she had amadioha in there and was asked to exchange it with God.

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Ymodulus: 2:25pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma:

Does the fact that it "surprised" you make it a "lie"? smiley

cool
no but this made it a lie

Enigma: i wouldn't have a problem if a school girl reads: "my grandfather was a satanist; he found that his satanism gave him inner strength"
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Stalwert: 2:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
This is a pity, a child sat down put in some hard work and came up with a beautiful poem that represented her thoughts and intellect and yet some individuals simply edited this thought just because she mentioned God! Haba this is tyranny of the highest order, and it is exceptionally laughable that someone is shouting secularity when this is simply some child sitting down to write an idea. Is secularity now an enemy of freedom of though? Freedom of expression? Secularity has never meant this and or else the ignoramus must explain why every politician that hold office must take his oat of office holding a bible or mentioning God? Abeg secularity simply means religion cannot dictate state policy, in fact religion can influence state policy like we see in the abortion issue, gay right etc! And someone tell this ignoramus that they are privately run schools which have religious affiliation, so what garbage are you guys hinting at?

2 Likes

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:28pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ymodulus:
no but this made it a lie

Is that the logic of atheism? Is there any sense in what you have said?

OK: as an atheist given to "logic" (yeah, right), explain logically how it was made a lie. smiley

cool

1 Like

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Ymodulus: 2:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma:

Is that the logic of atheism? Is there any sense in what you have said?

OK: as an atheist given to "logic" (yeah, right), explain logically how it was made a lie. smiley

cool

you woud be satisfied.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:30pm On Dec 31, 2012
Stalwert: This is a pity, a child sat down put in some hard work and came up with a beautiful poem that represented her thoughts and intellect and yet some individuals simply edited this thought just because she mentioned God! Haba this is tyranny of the highest order, and it is exceptionally laughable that someone is shouting secularity when this is simply some child sitting down to write an idea. Is secularity now an enemy of freedom of though? Freedom of expression? Secularity has never meant this and or else the ignoramus must explain why every politician that hold office must take his oat of office holding a bible or mentioning God? Abeg secularity simply means religion cannot dictate state policy, in fact religion can influence state policy like we see in the abortion issue, gay right etc! And someone tell this ignoramus that they are privately run schools which have religious affiliation, so what garbage are you guys hinting at?

Thank you; this is what I explained at length on the other thread I linked to earlier.

As I said, many of the evangelical atheists are in truth ignorant of the real meaning of "separation of church and state" while others simply want to use it to make atheism effectively the only religion. smiley

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2012
Ymodulus:
you woud be satisfied.

So you have no logical explanation. So, in truth, you are the LIAR. smiley

Oh, I repeat: I wouldn't have a problem if a school girl reads: "my grandfather was a satanist; he found that his satanism gave him inner strength"

cool

2 Likes

Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:38pm On Dec 31, 2012
Hmmm, let's make this thing more interesting. smiley

Here are the three statements in issue so far:

1. (My grandfather was a theist) “He prayed to God for peace, he prayed to God for strength.”

2. "My grandfather was an atheist; he did not believe in god but he looked for strength within himself"

3. "My grandfather was a satanist; he found that his satanism gave him inner strength"

Whether or not you are a Christian or even theist, which one would you object to if it had been said by the school girl in this story. smiley

Which one will you NOT object to? wink

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Ymodulus: 2:47pm On Dec 31, 2012
In the United States, freedom of
religion is a constitutionally
guaranteed right provided in the
religion clauses of the First
Amendment . Freedom of religion is
also closely associated with
separation of church and state , a
concept advocated by Thomas
Jefferson.[1]

The First Amendment
In the United States, the religious
civil liberties are guaranteed by the
First Amendment to the United
States Constitution
:

Congress shall make no law
respecting an
establishment of religion,
or prohibiting the free
exercise thereof; or
abridging the freedom of
speech, or of the press; or
the right of the people
peaceably to assemble, and
to petition the Government
for a redress of grievances.

:

The " Establishment Clause ," stating
that "Congress shall make no law
respecting an establishment of
religion," is generally read to
prohibit the Federal government
from establishing a national church
("religion"wink or excessively involving
itself in religion, particularly to the
benefit of one religion over
another. Following the ratification
of the Fourteenth Amendment to
the United States Constitution
and through the doctrine of
incorporation , this restriction is
held to be applicable to state
governments as well.

The " Free Exercise Clause " states
that Congress cannot "prohibit the
free exercise" of religious
practices.

:
“ The Supreme Court of
the United States has consistently
held, however, that the right to
free exercise of religion is not
absolute. For example, in the 19th
century, some of the members of
The Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-day Saints
traditionally practiced polygamy ,
yet in Reynolds v. United States
(1879), the Supreme Court upheld
the criminal conviction of one of
these members under a federal law
banning polygamy
:

now if u are a law student u would no the part of the law that state that a customary or state law can noot super seed a federal law in many places. this is applicable to the last part of the bolded.

now my view is this
the school teacher was not wrong for the following reasons

w. its a public school and so all of u must obey public laws. and in isolation of the state from religion. we must allow ppple exercise dia free right to religion but not impoose it on odas. this is a school gatheriing with people if you want to tell them about god den do dat in your private homes.

note if the gal has said My GRANDFATHER WORSHIPS GOD, thats ok but u telling us about the strenght source about ur grandfada from god is preaching and so is not deem fit.

bsides my above quotes is from Wikipedia.

tanks
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma:

Thank you; this is what I explained at length on the other thread I linked to earlier.

As I said, many of the evangelical atheists are in truth ignorant of the real meaning of "separation of church and state" while others simply want to use it to[b] make atheism effectively the only religion[/b]. smiley

cool

Atheism is not a religion. Clearly, you shouldnt be taken seriously.
Goodbye
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:53pm On Dec 31, 2012
@ Ymodulus

Go and read my explanation of "separation of church and state" on the thread linked below and educate yourself --- and even maybe educate your law lecturer(s) in the process. smiley

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:55pm On Dec 31, 2012

Going back to where I started: this is a demonstration of why I have said before that some of the evangelical atheist religionists can now be called fundagelical atheists. smiley

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Ymodulus: 2:55pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma:

So you have no logical explanation. So, in truth, you are the LIAR. smiley

Oh, I repeat: I wouldn't have a problem if a school girl reads: "my grandfather was a satanist; he found that his satanism gave him inner strength"

cool

My friend accept the fact u wudnt have a problem is pure lie. dont lie to force ur point accept u are rung wen u rung. dis is one problem with religionists.

U guys despise each other bcause of religion. common groups who are ur fellow christian u despise dem with excuse of not worshipping true god or not doing as stated in the bible how much more when a gal open says some one is a satanist.

lets be truthfull even though it hurts. this is why i like SEUN statement that religionist only say the truth cuz of fear of so called HELL.
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Enigma(m): 2:58pm On Dec 31, 2012
^^^ Look, I thought you had something worthwhile to say but unfortunately you have proven yourself to be a mere liar.

It is also beginning to occur to me that you are probably a neophyte and maybe just out of your teens --- in which case I won't waste my time with your type. smiley

cool
Re: School Forces First Grader To Remove "God" From Poem by Stalwert: 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2012
Enigma:

As I said, many of the evangelical atheists are in truth ignorant of the real meaning of "separation of church and state" while others simply want to use it to make atheism effectively the only religion. smiley

cool

Ignorance is an understatement of what is really befuddling the minds of this individuals indeed!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It A Sin Not To Want Kids? / Drinking Alcohol Is A Sin. / Islam's Strange Account Of Solomon's Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.