Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,062 members, 7,814,652 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres (17280 Views)

Man Calls Out Customs Officers For Seizing The Lexus Jeep He Bought (pics / Audi Reportedly Made Thousands Of Vehicles With The Same VIN / FRSC To Begin Immediate Confiscation Of Vehicles With Expired Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by nikaleyot: 8:49am On May 11, 2016
[quote author=Mopolchi post=45509801][/quote] The guy is wrong and your are giving him award. That manufacturing date. You can confirm it on Google.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by mostyg(m): 8:50am On May 11, 2016
ogmask:

In contrast, it's bad drivers that have caused more accidents than bad roads.

As regards road accidents

Bad drivers>Bad roads>Expired tyres.

I actually see no contrast.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by nikaleyot: 8:52am On May 11, 2016
timmy7:
that's just the date of production, where exactly is the expiry date written
Expiry date are not written on tyres. Tyres have a storage life of 4 to 6 years based on how they are stored. So any tire within 1 to 4 years from the day of manufacture is still okay for use.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by ogawisdom(m): 8:54am On May 11, 2016
Read n b informed

See attachments

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by deribigbe(m): 8:56am On May 11, 2016
No be the government make DUNLOP leave Nigeria when economy no good

God we need your CHANGE !!!
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by DelTel(m): 8:57am On May 11, 2016
People in position of authority with access to info should be mindful of their utterance. The FRSC boss has just joined the IG of Police to make un-enforceable & un-imaginably directives without taking into consideration of the peculiarity and reality (economic, "fantastically corrupt", ineptitude).

No tyre manufacturing plant in Nigeria, SON ineffective so dumping of fake substandard products is in high order, and the fake importers are selling at exorbitant prices (high interest rate, multiple and nonsensical taxation often illegal).

I bought 2 new tyres January with 2015 hologram but the tyres are bad 4months after. Virtually all the tyres in Nigeria are fake.

My neighbour's wife was once apprehended by FRSC personnel for driving with expired (outdated) tyres; she called her husband & I just told her to go check the FRSC vehicle tyres & check if it was outdated too, lo and behold it was far outdated & they had no choice but to let her go!

The IG of Police should tell us how his family (extended) fuel their generator or do the FG & NPF fuel all his extended families generator?

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Kaykay(m): 9:00am On May 11, 2016
nikaleyot:
that's the date of manufacturing and not expiry date. Google is your friend.

The date of Expiry is to simply add 4 or 5 year to the date of Manufacture/production imprinted on the tyre.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Kaykay(m): 9:01am On May 11, 2016
nikaleyot:

The date of Expiry is to simply add 4 or 5 years to the date of Manufacture/production imprinted on the tyre.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by naptu2: 9:05am On May 11, 2016
nikaleyot:

peterbello:

Na lie!!! That's date of manufacture.

Mikollon1:

That is the date of manufacture. It's not the expiry date.

Mopolchi:
Okay make I go withdraw am sharply for the misleading information.

timmy7:
that's just the date of production, where exactly is the expiry date written

The expiry date is four years from the date of production. When the FRSC stops you, they'll check the date of production and add four years to it. They'll impound your car if the tyre was manufactured more than four years ago.

MIROS SOUTH AFRICA

Thursday, January 15, 2009

How to Check Your Car Tyre Expiry?

1. Do you know that your tires has expiry date.....Good thing you know that, but in case you miss out some info, I'll help you. To start with, vehicle tires have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tire expires and may burst whilst in use. See how severe this problem is if you don't notice it in advance.

2. How to find out whether your tire has expired? First, check for a stamp like this: (*4002*). There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number (Some tires don't have asterisk).

3. The first two numbers 4 0 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured. Note: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *4002* shows that the said tire is manufactured in the 40th week of the year 2002. *4099* this shows that the tire is made in the 40th week of 1999.

4. Check all your tires for safety purposes. Do not use expired tires. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

http://miros-road-safety..co.za/2009/01/how-to-check-your-car-tyre-expiry.html

[size=14pt]Arrive Alive South Africa[/size]

Tyre Expiry

Vehicle tyres have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tyre expires and may burst whilst in use. How to find out whether your tyre has expired? Check for a stamp like this: (*2603*) There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number.

The first two numbers 2 6 will tell which week of the year has it been manufactured.

NB: One year has 52 weeks. The last two numbers represent the year of make. Therefore, *2603* shows that the said tyre is manufactured in the 26th week of the year 2003. *2699* this shows that the tyre is made in the 26th week of 1999.

Check all your tyres for safety purposes. Do not use expired tyres. They are likely to burst (especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked.

https://arrivealive.co.za/Tyre-Expiry

[size=14pt]Bridgestone Australia[/size]

Aged Tyres - Beware Your Spare

There is some evidence to suggest that aged tyres have an increased likelihood of failure due to exposure to the environment. Ideally tyres should be kept in a cool, dry environment out of direct sunlight and away from electric motors or other sources of ozone. If these conditions are not met a tyre may have an increased chance of failure. It is for this reason that Bridgestone recommend including full size spare tyres in the rotation schedule.

How do I tell the age of a tyre?

All tyres are produced with a serial Tyre Identification Number (or serial TIN) that shows the date of manufacture of a tyre (See Figure 1&2 below). The last three digits (for tyres made pre 2000) or four digits (for post 2000 tyres) of the serial TIN indicate the week and year that the tyre was made.  For example, Figure 1 below shows a tyre made in the 37th week of 1995 and Figure 2 shows a tyre made in the 12th week of 2004.  Also a tyre made in the 1990's can be distinguished from a tyre made in the 1980's due to a triangular indentation after the last number which is not present on 1980's tyres. 

How old is too old?

This is a subject of much debate within the tyre industry and no tyre expert can tell exactly how long a tyre will last. However, on the results of experience many tyre companies, including Bridgestone, warrant their tyres against manufacturing and material defects for five years from the date of manufacture. Based on their understanding a number of vehicle manufacturers are now advising against the use of tyres that are more than six years old due to the effects of ageing.

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY CORPS ( FRSC), NIGERIA

HOW TO CHECK FOR TYRES EXPIRY DATE

*Tyres have expiry date. To start with, vehicle tyre have a 4-year validity period from their Date of Manufacture (DOM). Thereafter, the tyre expires and may burst whilst in use.

*How to find out whether your tyre has expired? First, check for a stamp like this: (*0504*). There is an asterisk at the beginning and at the end of this serial number (Some tires don't have asterisk).

*The First two digits are the week so 0504 is fifth week in 2004. Therefore, *0504* shows that the said tyre is manufactured in the 5th week of the year 2004

*Check all your tires for safety purposes. Do not use expired tires. They are likely to burst, especially when running in hot weather) because the rubber component may have hardened and cracked

https://m.facebook.com/FRSCNigeria/posts/10151242621552017

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by jerrymej(m): 9:09am On May 11, 2016
Nothing I no go hear for this country! Tahhh
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by ogmask: 9:11am On May 11, 2016
mostyg:

As regards road accidents

Bad drivers>Bad roads>Expired tyres.

I actually see no contrast.

Who fits the expired tyres in the vehicle?
Who drives the vehicle into the bad spot/road?
Who pushes the vehicle beyond its tyre and engine capacity?
Who overload the vehicle?
We can go on and on everything will point at the driver. The issue here is what causes road accident. I said the driver can cause or prevent road accident substantially on our roads. That's the contrast.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by mostyg(m): 9:14am On May 11, 2016
ogmask:

Who fits the expired tyres in the vehicle?
Who drives the vehicle into the bad spot/road?
Who pushes the vehicle beyond its tyre and engine capacity?
Who overload the vehicle?
We can go on and on everything will point at the driver. The issue here is what causes road accident. I said the driver can cause or prevent road accident substantially on our roads. That's the contrast.

Sir, I get your points and at the same time, i am not arguing your points.
I agree bad drivers cause accident more than bad roads. On the other hand bad roads cause more accident than expired tyre.
I still see no contrast.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by tete7000(m): 9:16am On May 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
the accidents have more to do with over inflation than expired tyres.

Just say poor tyre maintenance - over inflation, under inflation, misallignment, non-balancing. Even a good new tyre not properly maintained is a threat. Was the minister using substandard or expired tyre too during his accident.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Mikollon1(m): 9:16am On May 11, 2016
naptu2:
Tyre expiry date.

That is the date of manufacture. It's not the expiry date.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Mopolchi: 9:20am On May 11, 2016
nikaleyot:
The guy is wrong and your are giving him award. That manufacturing date. You can confirm it on Google.
Okay make I go withdraw am sharply for the misleading information.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Pamelayoung: 9:21am On May 11, 2016
That's a senseless thg to do, how many tyre did he manufacture.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by wellmax(m): 9:22am On May 11, 2016
BUGOFF:
Senseless move to further amplify the suffering common man.
Why don't they sanction the importers of the expired tyres, first?
Very senseless move...the cart before the horse.
Most tyres are smuggled into the country while other expire while waiting to be sold.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by paix(m): 9:23am On May 11, 2016
They should also use pressure gauges to ascertain the correct tyre pressure. Most roadside vulcanisers over inflate the tyres.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by ogmask: 9:29am On May 11, 2016
mostyg:

Sir, I get your points and at the same time, i am not arguing your points.
I agree bad drivers cause accident more than bad roads. On the other hand bad roads cause more accident than expired tyre.
I still see no contrast.

The roads are what they are, tyres are what they are. All of these are factors within the powers of the driver. Mention one accident and I will tell you why the road and tyres can not be blamed but the driver. The road, tyres and vehicle condition are within the control of the driver. Of all the factors responsible for road accident, the driver stands alone.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Dapsin2901: 9:39am On May 11, 2016
Lol when we don't have any company that produce one and you want tokubo not to exit you need to give us solution first before any step taking by you sir
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by jesussaves22: 9:40am On May 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
the accidents have more to do with over inflation than expired tyres.
Yes chief Gazzuzz but why is it that even the educated people don't believe that tires can be over inflated?
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by 18SNVL: 9:55am On May 11, 2016
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 10:03am On May 11, 2016
Please enough of this talk. The demand for used items by a country is a reflection of the nations state of economy.

In the 70s and 80s there were minimal cases of used items, people bought brand new tyres for their cars, bought brand new clothes and electronics.

The purchase of fairly used items started after the introduction of SAP.

Instead of seizing peoples cars they should address the factors that led to buying used tires.

Not every body has 18k to buy basic new tires.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 10:03am On May 11, 2016
9icetoo:
And under whose authority did they expire a tire they didn't make? Instead of educating vulcanisers and cars owners on the dangers of over inflation or underinflation they are busy condemning what they know nothing about how it's made.
Last I checked, they can be sued to court.
Silly set of idiots.
Our roads have virtually no Road signs, no crash barriers, no Lane departure warning stripes, no lights, no freaking safety features and they are having an orgasm over tyres.
It was formerly overspeeding, now it's expired tyres.
Chai, why them born me for this country self?

You read my mind.

Just another avenue to exploit the common man.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by rasheedmalik113: 10:24am On May 11, 2016
Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) can u be selling tyres 4us maybe yr tyers is ok, it can bust on the road,
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:27am On May 11, 2016
tete7000:

Just say poor tyre maintenance - over inflation, under inflation, misallignment, non-balancing. Even a good new tyre not properly maintained is a threat. Was the minister using substandard or expired tyre too during his accident.

was the minister using tokumbor tyres? NO was he using expired tyres on an LX570 (possibly still tyres that came with car) NO, we're the tyres over inflated maybe.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by BUGOFF(m): 10:29am On May 11, 2016
wellmax:

Most tyres are smuggled into the country while other expire while waiting to be sold.
They can always ensure those brought in hav a long lifespan, and whose fault if they are smuggled in? What's the border guards for?
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by tete7000(m): 10:31am On May 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

was the minister using tokumbor tyres? NO was he using expired tyres on an LX570 (possibly still tyres that came with car) NO, we're the tyres over inflated maybe.

That's my point. Emphasis should be placed on educating people on how well to maintain their tyres.
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by kajoula(m): 10:35am On May 11, 2016
These people are heartless......their patrol van has an expired tires grin YEYE kworupt officials
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Nobody: 10:40am On May 11, 2016
9icetoo:
And under whose authority did they expire a tire they didn't make? Instead of educating vulcanisers and cars owners on the dangers of over inflation or underinflation they are busy condemning what they know nothing about how it's made.
Last I checked, they can be sued to court.
Silly set of idiots.
Our roads have virtually no Road signs, no crash barriers, no Lane departure warning stripes, no lights, no freaking safety features and they are having an orgasm over tyres.
It was formerly overspeeding, now it's expired tyres.
Chai, why them born me for this country self?

Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Fourwinds: 10:46am On May 11, 2016
DEXTROVERT:
Storming Thunder go fire una, if you Ever Bend to check our Tyres...
Awon Werey!!
okokobioko
Re: FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres by Fourwinds: 10:46am On May 11, 2016
DEXTROVERT:
Storming Thunder go fire una, if you Ever Bend to check our Tyres...
Awon Werey!!
okokobioko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

6 Electric Suvs You'll Likely See On Nigerian Roads In The Next Few Years / Rolls Royce Marks 115 Years Of Excellence And Innovation / The 5 Things Beginner Drivers Should Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.