Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,130 members, 7,860,062 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:58 AM

4 Words That Can Destroy A Relationship - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 4 Words That Can Destroy A Relationship (647 Views)

Post 4 Words Every Woman Wants Whispered In Her Ears / This Lady Vows To Destroy So Many Relationships This Yuletide / 7 Bad Habits That Can Destroy Your Relationship With Your Partner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

4 Words That Can Destroy A Relationship by naphunlimited(m): 1:07pm On May 10, 2016
Words are powerful — more powerful than most people realize, and they also create our reality.
and choosing them carefully will be your greatest friend. When someone throws out a thoughtless comment, the receiving person can easily feel attacked or misunderstood. They feel like they’ve been judged and tried without a jury, and they go into a defensive reaction. They feel the need to state their case and argue down the opposite view. They perceive a strong threat and come out of the corner fighting.
Avoiding or replacing some words can largely avoid a breakdown in communication and a defensive response.
Inspired by Life Hack, Below are 4 words that can destroy a relationship.
1. “Should”
When you say “you should” or “shouldn’t,” what is coming across to the other person is that you think you are superior, an authority, and that you know better than they do. It changes the dynamic from two equal people discussing to a dominant and a submissive relationship.
Try instead: “I would really like it if you could…”
2. “You”
The second you start talking about what you are feeling in sentences that start with “You,” you’re probably going to be in trouble. You might say “You never listen to me!” only wishing to impart that you feel unheard, but what the other person hears is “It’s all your fault!”
“You” comes with an imaginary jabbing finger. It’s accusatory, and if the receiving person is already feeling vulnerable, defensive, or emotional, whatever you say after “you” will be interpreted as an accusation.
Instead, try: “I feel like…” or “When this happens, I feel…”

3. “Must”
Similar to “should,” “must” sets the speaker up as the expert, the more knowledgeable party. It tells the receiving person that you know better and that they should be doing what you say. At some level, the person you are saying this to will feel that you don’t respect their opinion or their logic or their ability to think for themselves.
Try: “I’d love you to…” or “It would really help me if you could…”

continue on the signature below

Re: 4 Words That Can Destroy A Relationship by talk2alabama: 1:10pm On May 10, 2016
I wonder who takes all these spouse-fight pictures...

If say na Nigerian couple, for the picture u go see d man dey pose like say him wan slap the woman grin, the woman go tie wrapper pose like say she dey hold him prick. cheesy
Re: 4 Words That Can Destroy A Relationship by jacy67(f): 1:14pm On May 10, 2016
I can only see three op.

The use of I only shows you are interested only in what you want from the relationship without considering your partner's need

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Men Go After More Girl/ladies After Been Married For A Year Or Two / Why Is Everyone Falling Sick(june 1) / Photo See Lady Who Went In An Ambulance On Her Weeding Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.