Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Leadership & The Tongue – A Case Of David Cameron - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Leadership & The Tongue – A Case Of David Cameron (592 Views)

The Northern Army And The Northern Leadership The Difference / Buhari Reacts To David Cameron’s Corruption Comment On Nigeria / David Cameron Describes Nigeria As A Fantastically Corrupt Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Leadership & The Tongue – A Case Of David Cameron by DeanSim: 11:04pm On May 11, 2016

The Tongue – A Small Member

The tongue is one of the very small members of the body, but there is no doubt that it can very destructive, in fact, more destructive than constructive. That is why extreme care is needed. This is particularly important when people in authority are at the receiving end. Let me buttress this with a short story. One that is so dear to my heart because of its many lessons that we can apply today.

A mighty king was sitting on his roof chamber when he caught sight of a beautiful woman taking her bathe. He did not do the right thing of taking his eyes and mind away from the scene. Eventually he had illicit sexual relations with her, and in order to cover up his deeds, as the woman eventually got pregnant, the king arranged for her husband to be executed. That king was David of Israel. The woman was Bathsheba, wife of Uriah. (Coincidentally, this story revolves around David Cameron)

A seer, Nathan was sent to put King David’s wrongdoings before him. Considering the weight of the message he bore, and the gravity of what the king had done, Nathan would probably have done nothing wrong if he had spoken bluntly to the king, from the start. No, he did not. He started by narrating a story about a rich man and a poor man.

“There were two men in one city, one rich and the other poor. “The rich man had exceedingly many flocks and herds. But the poor man had nothing, except one little ewe lamb which he had bought and nourished; and it grew up together with him and with his children. It ate of his own food and drank from his own cup and lay in his bosom; and it was like a daughter to him. And a traveler came to the rich man, who refused to take from his own flock and from his own herd to prepare one for the wayfaring man who had come to him; but he took the poor man’s lamb and prepared it for the man who had come to him.”

With wisdom and courage, Nathan used a story to get the message through to King David. How do we know that he actually got through to David? Read David’s response.

So David’s anger was greatly aroused against the man, and he said to Nathan, … the man who has done this shall surely die! And he shall restore fourfold for the lamb, because he did this thing and because he had no pity.”

King David’s sense of justice was awakened, and even though Nathan did not ask for his judgment, he passed judgment, and condemned the man in the story, consequently condemning himself, because Nathan told him that he was that man he condemned. Powerful use of the tongue, in wisdom and with courage! Nathan didn’t have to struggle, or to explain himself for the wrong use of his tongue in delivering the right message.

Now David Cameron

Mr. Cameron was caught on camera describing Nigeria and Afghanistan as being amongst the most corrupt countries in the world, while speaking to the British Queen, Elizabeth II, ahead an anti-corruption summit taking place in London on Tuesday, May 10, 2016.

Is the substance of the utterance completely wrong?

Was Prime Minister David Cameron totally wrong in what he said? I do not think so. Both leaders of both countries in question have in the past expressly stated that there are high levels of corruption in their individual countries, and they both vowed to turn things around. Here in Nigeria, the ordinary Nigerian feels the excruciating pain of corrupt practices. Let’s not devour the messenger, while neglecting the import of the message

Where could the Prime Minister have done better?

In my opinion, he could have been more careful, and considerate of people’s feelings, vis-à-vis the impact of his utterance. Something tells me, he never meant this to go out, as he probably did not know that the camera was rolling. He should have been a little more tactful. He forgot to mention that these countries in question are taking steps to improve.

Lessons

1. A beautiful admonition could be thrown completely away, if the tongue of the giver is not masterfully tamed.

2. Especially when you have to give developmental feedback, be sure to commend the receiver first. Show appreciation for efforts made, before respectfully pointing out areas of improvement.

3. Some damage caused with the tongue, could be irreparable. I doubt if Nigerians will ever forget this. I pray we do not dwell on it, Just as the President has moved on.

4. Be careful not to stick to hard to a person’s past, without paying attention to recent efforts to improve. it could be really damaging both to you and the person.

5. Nobody likes to be mindlessly reminded of how far backward he/she is. we all like to be lifted.

Conclusion

I hope Mr. David Cameron has learned his lessons. I believe in the ocean of criticisms, we have also learned something about the tongue. Anyone can falter anytime in the use of the tongue.

Let’s be guided!

http://sosfountain.com/leadership-tongue-case-david-cameron/

1 Like

Re: Leadership & The Tongue – A Case Of David Cameron by Krossbow123: 11:55pm On May 11, 2016
Wetin una fit do?

1 Like

Re: Leadership & The Tongue – A Case Of David Cameron by DeanSim: 1:35pm On May 13, 2016
Mod lalastica, this article is worth pushing to the front page for more people to view and learn.

(1) (Reply)

Transformed By God, Not "Changed". Gal 1:11-26 / 10 Fantastically Unbelievable Campaign Promises Buhari Made / Councillor Beats Up 19yrs Old Boy To Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.