Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,560 members, 7,827,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal (58198 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan And His Wife In High Spirits As They Arrive Rivers State. PICS / Goodluck Jonathan And Buhari In Secret Meeting In Aso Rock / The Notable Difference Between Jonathan & Buhari’s Subsidy Removal (A Must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by HOTWATER(m): 9:13pm On May 13, 2016
koboko69:
Subsidy Removal under Jonathan;

Jonathans government announced the total removal of subsidy on Jan 1 2012.

The Facts;

1. Oil sold at 113 usd per barrel as at Dec 31st 2011

2. The exchane rate as at Dec 2011 was 1 usd to N 162.3

3. Jonathan's Predecessor actually dropped PMS price from N75 to N65 and was able to sustain subsidy whilst handling the amnesty program for repentant millitants till his early dismiss.

4. A more bouyant foreign reserve and growing ecomomy.

The government's major basis of total removal of subsidy was sighted as massive corruption. Rather than deal with the monster, the incompetence of the government was shifted to the masses. Many Nigerians were not ready to make the government have more money to loot, as subsidy was still sustainable at that time.

After the Occupy Nigieria protests, the price of PMS was revised to N97 per littre, with the promise of urban busses, building and rehabilitation of refineries e.t.c. It is interesting to note that the only partially successful programme after the subsidy removal was SURE-P because some Nigeirans benefitted from it without the "u must know someone" clause. Till the exit of Jonathan's government, we had no functional refineries, neither were new ones built.

Please note, Boko Haram was more like rag tag millitant as at the time of subsidy removal but later grew to a sophisticated, machine guns, tanks rolling millitant. So BH as an excuse is not tenable.

Subsidy removal under President Buhari.

1. Oil price selling below 40usd per barrel

2. Exchange rate of N197-N199 to a dollar and N320 to a dollar in the parallel market.

3. An ailing economy, with limited FOREX, and dwindling reserves.

The major reason for the total removal of subsidy by the current government is because of scarcity of Forex and an ailing economy. NNPC could not sustain solely importing petroleum products, and there is not enough Forex to give major oil marketers to handle the importation of petroleum products. It should also be noted that the present government have been able to tackle corruption to a fault in the oil industry.

The oil Marketters have now been given the liberty to source forex from other sources to import fuel which is the major reason for the high price hike.

The current government have made moves which will see the price of PMS drop in the nearest future. For the first time in years we have the Warri, Kaduna, and Port Harcourt refineries working together but some misguided youths amd miscreants in the name of avengers have decided to keep sabotaging the efforts of the present government.
There are also moves on ground to build more refineries.

In my opinion, the deregulation of the lower stream sector is right on track at this time and I stand with Buhari on this.

For now i see no reason why this government should not be supported, as they still have more than 2 years to deliver. Should the government not meet up to expectations before next elections, then Nigerians can't take their anger to the polls.

God Bless Nigeria.

Your people deserve apology from Gold Circle
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by koboko69: 9:36pm On May 13, 2016
HOTWATER:

Your people deserve apology from Gold Circle

G n D!!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by youngeagle(m): 9:37pm On May 13, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:
I have never encountered a fuel crisis since the day God put me on this earth. That's a condition you and your fellow citizens will have to deal with.
are you an Alien?
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by lagosrd: 10:03pm On May 13, 2016
koboko69:

The Facts;

3. Jonathan's Predecessor actually dropped PMS price from N75 to N65 and was able to sustain subsidy whilst handling the amnesty program for repentant millitants till his early dismiss.

The government's major basis of total removal of subsidy was sighted as massive corruption. Rather than deal with the monster, the incompetence of the government was shifted to the masses. Many Nigerians were not ready to make the government have more money to loot, as subsidy was still sustainable at that time.

After the Occupy Nigieria protests, the price of PMS was revised to N97 per littre, with the promise of urban busses, building and rehabilitation of refineries e.t.c. It is interesting to note that the only partially successful programme after the subsidy removal was SURE-P because some Nigeirans benefitted from it without the "u must know someone" clause. Till the exit of Jonathan's government, we had no functional refineries, neither were new ones built.

Please note, Boko Haram was more like rag tag millitant as at the time of subsidy removal but later grew to a sophisticated, machine guns, tanks rolling millitant. So BH as an excuse is not tenable.

2. Exchange rate of N197-N199 to a dollar and N320 to a dollar in the parallel market.

The major reason for the total removal of subsidy by the current government is because of scarcity of Forex and an ailing economy. NNPC could not sustain solely importing petroleum products, and there is not enough Forex to give major oil marketers to handle the importation of petroleum products. It should also be noted that the present government have been able to tackle corruption to a fault in the oil industry.

The oil Marketters have now been given the liberty to source forex from other sources to import fuel which is the major reason for the high price hike.

The current government have made moves which will see the price of PMS drop in the nearest future. For the first time in years we have the Warri, Kaduna, and Port Harcourt refineries working together but some misguided youths amd miscreants in the name of avengers have decided to keep sabotaging the efforts of the present government.

In my opinion, the deregulation of the lower stream sector is right on track at this time and I stand with Buhari on this.

For now i see no reason why this government should not be supported, as they still have more than 2 years to deliver. Should the government not meet up to expectations before next elections, then Nigerians can't take their anger to the polls.

God Bless Nigeria.

Very idioootic and bias as usual. You can continue this way for a short time. But he disaster ahead of this country is called "ija ilara and etanu" in Yoruba . So stay tuned and expect the worst in the nearest future cos I seems not get your sentimental talk that Nigeria can still do with subsidy as at jonathans' era. Very very bias write up.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by koboko69: 10:20pm On May 13, 2016
rolams:
Hmmm! I wonder what op is analysing. Not sorry to say that your analysis is based on bias mind. Pls consider the following before defending subsidy removal at this present time.

1. Salary is fixed while transportation cost increases

2. Cost of living is high while earning/income remain fixed.

3. Poverty rate is high as there is no job.

4. It will take a long period before diversification to agriculture will yield positive result.

5. Power sector is poor

6. High cost of production will lead to increase in price.

7. Workers will be underpaid as employer tries to reduced cost of production taking advantage of high rate of unemployment.

8. There is room for high crime rate as people are frustrated.

9. Boosting agric sector alone will not solve the problems because there are raw materials we don't have in Nigeria and we need them.

There are more reasons why subsidy removal is wrong at this time.

Consider the present situation we are now before supporting it. NO JOB, NO MONEY, THINGS ARE HARD, COST OF LIVING IS HIGHER, SALARY IS FIXED, OUR ECONOMY IS DOWN, IT'S NOT YET TIME TO REAP THE SEED OF DIVERSIFICATION.

Pls reason well ooooo!

What is biased in my submission? Jonathan increased minimum wage after long dispute woth Labour, and that was more than a month after partial removal of subsidy. Besides whats the percentage of people working and receiving the minimum wage to the other masses?
The government tried to retain subsidy but tje obvious trith is that NNPC can not meet the PMS demand on Nigeria, and there ia no much Fx to give to marketters to import petrol pm their own as the major source of Fx is selling @ just about 40usd, this simply means marketters are expected to source for Fx via secondary means. There is not much subsidy to be removed per say, but the issue is with the scarce Fx. Had it been Jonathan saved enough, and didn't open our Fx reserves for his re-election campaign, and other phantom reasons, there would have been enough not only to defend the Naira but to also meet some demand of oil marketters. Yaradua eas able to escape this situation cos Obj left a robust reserve for him, and he was able to grow it to about 62bn dollars, hence Sanusi could defend the naira with the reserves, which made it drop back to about 47bn dollars which was handed over to Jonathan. Jonathan depleted this, and also raised our external debts with no corresponding achievments to show for it. Now a near empty Treasury was handed over to Buhari with a high debt profile, and unpaid subsidy claims. How do u want the government to survive with all this and still pay subsidy?
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by dukecharles(m): 10:24pm On May 13, 2016
Standing5:
Gej wasn't trusted by even governors (APC n PDP). They preferred to share excess fund as it was being looted via phony federal expenses like BH war and so the masses were right to feel the same way and reject subsidy removal which put more money in the hands of the federal govt.
The Jonathan govt didn't show sign of blocking leakages at federal level but wanted to throw more money at the corrupt system, Buhari govt on the other hand showed its readiness to block leakages before going ahead to throw more money at a less corupt system.
The difference is clear.

You are pathetic, whose innovation is BVN, TSA, IPPS? Even deregulation and subsidy removal. Civilized people fight corruption by blocking leakages. GEJ is a civilized man, not a president that will call his citizens criminals and accept that his country is fantastically corrupt on an international media.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Standing5(m): 10:39pm On May 13, 2016
dukecharles:

You are pathetic, whose innovation is BVN, TSA, IPPS? Even deregulation and subsidy removal. Civilized people fight corruption by blocking leakages. GEJ is a civilized man, not a president that will call his citizens criminals and accept that his country is fantastically corrupt on an international media.
Your father n mama are and not me.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by muzzafar(m): 12:30am On May 14, 2016
koboko69:
[b]God Bless Nigeria.

God punish Naijeriya and bless Biafra .
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by biopat(m): 2:14am On May 14, 2016
hazyfm:

Now you have a point. Let's protest for increase in minimum wage not petrol deregulation

Subsidy in Nigeria is a FRAUD

Don't you think it is the duty of the government to end the fraud instead of subsidy? Or has the government totally failed in this regard?
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 5:32am On May 14, 2016
Geniro:
What nonsense is this zombie saying ? angry
I wish you could come up with your own side of the story that is well articulate and mature.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 7:00am On May 14, 2016
koboko69:

The Facts;

God Bless Nigeria.

Well written. Do I have your permission to share this on facebook?
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 7:05am On May 14, 2016
iykopy:

Stop crying mr zombie. U are always in a difficult position trying to defend ur damn illiterate of a president.
Suck it up morrafucka

Do you even know the meaning of illiterate?
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 7:27am On May 14, 2016
plaetton:

My dear friend,
Common sense should always take precedence over politics.
Removal of SUBSIDY makes economic sense, irrespective of who is doing the removing.
It is,and has always been a political hot potato irrespective of who is doing the removal.

You are the one bringing senseless political overtones and innuendos and conjectures into this simple economic matter.

I don't envy you one bit, given that you're obviously suffering from cognitive dissonance,desperately trying to defend now what you supposedly faught against during GEJ.
Holding two contradicting views, one during GEJ and one during PMB is the dictionary definition of cognitive dissonance , a horrible, vexatious state of mind.

I truly don't envy you guys right now.
grin
I think you are missing the point. The point is if Good luck were to be the President of Nigeria today and tried to remove subsidy, both supporters of Pdp and Apc Supporters would fight him.
Thesame way the governors both Apc and Pdp fought for the distribution of the Excess crude account cos no one could trust him with money.
In summary, INTEGRITY separates Goodluck From Buhari.

1 Like

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 7:35am On May 14, 2016
SonOfEl:
No matter the damage control op tries to put up, it won't fly. The subsidy in 2012 had not even taken root, you guys were bringing trust issues. Read the old papers, I still have them. It was about gej, okonjo, sanusi and co making life more difficult for the poor masses, it was not a money trust issue, money trust issue was so so peripheral.
Actually they were related. His choice was to make the people suffer by removing the subsidy in which the people couldn't trust the said "palliatives" would be implemented cos of the corruption (I mean stealing in GEJ's voice. grin)
It's like a man who had a car, and the car was damaged, without investigating to know what caused the damage and how to prevent it opts for buying another car.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by mokset123: 7:39am On May 14, 2016
toyinid78:
by den more corpers wud pass out,thousands wud b jobless,deregulation is a bail for economic repair but not building n building is more lasting some of us wud later see d problem dat we ar yet to face if we dnt stop dis visionless support for now n and see how we as citizens can participate in nation building like chinese people did

We have to start our reforms from somewhere, the good thing is this administration has started full implementation of some of the policies of the last administration and they are reviewing other policies as well.
I would urge everyone to be patient for now, support this administration despite its challenges and God willing we would get to our destination
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 8:14am On May 14, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:

GEJ wanted to save the money? Lol.
The biggest joke of the Week.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by koboko69: 8:27am On May 14, 2016
udatso:

Well written. Do I have your permission to share this on facebook?

Sure
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by SonOfEl(m): 8:31am On May 14, 2016
I see people still suffering and smiling. Always trying to justify buhari's action and inactions. This case is simple. Buhari has no economic blueprint, he is just following the blueprint of the previous administration. Call gej corrupt for all I care, we all know amaechi, tinubu, melaye, and even Buhari are subtly corrupt. Buhari didn't know where he kept his integrity when he worked as abacha's ptdf chairman. Buhari and co are big time hypocrites. Only APC zombies Will see buhari, tinubu, and co, and call them "incorrupt" politicians.

APC, no economic blueprint, just copy-copy.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 10:07am On May 14, 2016
koboko69:

Sure
Thanks
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by plaetton: 12:12pm On May 14, 2016
udatso:

I think you are missing the point. The point is if Good luck were to be the President of Nigeria today and tried to remove subsidy, both supporters of Pdp and Apc Supporters would fight him.
Thesame way the governors both Apc and Pdp fought for the distribution of the Excess crude account cos no one could trust him with money.
In summary, INTEGRITY separates Goodluck From Buhari.

I agree 100%.

But Guess who has the INTEGRITY and who doesn't. embarassed

That's why cognitively dissonant APC zombies are all over the place invoking Jonathan and writing convoluted nonsense.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 1:25pm On May 14, 2016
plaetton:

I agree 100%.

That's why cognitively dissonant APC zombies are all over the place invoking Jonathan and writing convoluted nonsense.
Hmm.. ....strange
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by plaetton: 1:39pm On May 14, 2016
udatso:

Hmm.. ....strange

I said I agree that integrity separates Jonathan from Buhari.

Buhari cannot , in 10 lifetimes have as much integrity as Jonathan.

A man has no integrity when he commits treason against his country by overthrowing a democratically elected government for personal ambition.

A man has no integrity when, even after 30 yrs, refuses to apologize for the disasters he ushered in overthrowing a government.

A man has no integrity who cannot accep defeat after losing an election. , 3 consecutive times he lost, conceded defeat on neither.

A man has Zero integrity when he puts regional and tribal interests far ahead of national interests when he declared " a fight against Boko haram is a fight against the North ".

A man has no integrity when all elections conducted thus far under his watch have been inconclusive.

A man has no integrity, who , after winning an important and divisive election, fails to reach out and unite all parts of the nation.

Where exactly is this mythical integrity of Buhari to be found?

Shall I continue ?

I think you get my gist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by udatso: 1:56pm On May 14, 2016
plaetton:

I said I agree that integrity separates Jonathan from Buhari.

Buhari cannot , in 10 lifetimes have as much integrity as Jonathan.

A man has no integrity when he commits treason against his country by overthrowing a democratically elected government for personal ambition.

A man has no integrity when, even after 30 yrs, refuses to apologize for the disasters he ushered in overthrowing a government.

A man has no integrity who cannot accep defeat after losing an election. , 3 consecutive times he lost, conceded defeat on neither.

A man has Zero integrity when he puts regional and tribal interests far ahead of national interests when he declared " a fight against Boko haram is a fight against the North ".

A man has no integrity when all elections conducted thus far under his watch have been inconclusive.

A man has no integrity, who , after winning an important and divisive election, fails to reach out and unite all parts of the nation.

Where exactly is this mythical integrity of Buhari to be found?

Shall I continue ?

I think you get my gist.
I stopped reading when I got to the bolden.
You only see what you wanted to see
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by plaetton: 1:58pm On May 14, 2016
udatso:

I stopped reading when I got to the bolden.
You only see what you wanted to see

No sir.
We all have our opinions.

If you like we can put our differing opinions to critical analysis.

Seperating facts from myths, I am open to a debate on who has integrity, Jonathan or Buhari.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Zico0(m): 3:54pm On May 14, 2016
Forget all the drama.
Ehinmetan Mola Ezekiel started a revolution in literature. Join in the renaissance www.facebook.com/ehinmetanmolaezekiel
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Geniro: 7:20pm On May 14, 2016
henrynick:

That type of shit your Lil condense cerebrum can't handle.....

MrTruth4real:

Give ur fact to show he is saying nonsense. That's how mature people argue, not just insulting him like a child.
Ijaya123:

What nonsense is this buffoon saying?

caphone:

Yu haven't said anything meaningfful to labelled yu sane wailer. Didn't yu know what a constructive critiicism is? Bring yo's forth nd stop displaying yo hate nd dumbness

Justrefined:
I wish you could come up with your own side of the story that is well articulate and mature.

Zombies please stay off my mentions. You are all practically less human than the rest of us. Bunch of m.0rons.
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by henrynick(m): 9:06pm On May 14, 2016
Geniro:

Zombies please stay off my mentions. You are all practically less human than the rest of us. Bunch of m.0rons.

Ocho!!!!! ..........Bleep face calling us less humans....you re an excuse to your parents ask dem they'll you ...and I quote "Muhammadu Buhari is the president of the federal republic of Nigeria" if you re not happy bout it you and your so called wise men should plan a coup de tat or impeach.....or try burning bar beach that would help.......bloodclat BASTARD

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Geniro: 9:28pm On May 14, 2016
henrynick:

[s]Ocho!!!!! ..........Bleep face calling us less humans....you re an excuse to your parents ask dem they'll you ...and I quote "Muhammadu Buhari is the president of the federal republic of Nigeria" if you re not happy bout it you and your so called wise men should plan a coup de tat or impeach.....or try burning bar beach that would help.......bloodclat BASTARD[/s]

See this zombie convulsing, Hahaahaahaaha!
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by caphone: 9:49pm On May 14, 2016
Geniro:

Yu see the likes of this guy makes one wonder whether stoneage people stil exist. Oga titus yu can't even counter our claim buh aas well yu display yo ignorance before us. I pity the pipu that send yu to school this is an insult on their face. What a wasted homo erectus

1 Like

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Geniro: 10:16pm On May 14, 2016
caphone:

Yu see the likes of this guy makes one wonder whether stoneage people stil exist. Oga titus yu can't even counter our claim buh aas well yu display yo ignorance before us. I pity the pipu that send yu to school this is an insult on their face. What a wasted homo erectus

Only zombies believe this thread is justified. Keep justifying your shameless hypocrisy with paid articles .
Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by henrynick(m): 11:39pm On May 14, 2016
Geniro:

See this zombie convulsing, Hahaahaahaaha!

You see the funny thing is I'm not even a Nigerian I'm in Accra and I've seen your type before .....negative Bleep you are and will always be up to no good quote me and die fuckface!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Notable Difference Between Jonathan And Buhari's Subsidy Removal by Ijaya123: 7:38am On May 15, 2016
Geniro:

You're nothing but a wailing buffoon. Bereft of any intellectual capacity.

Keep up the blame game if it puts food on your table.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Edgal Imohimi And Ali Janga's Ranks Reverted By Police Service Commission / President Tinubu Meets With Falana In Aso Rock Over Subsidy Removal, Economy / Ganduje's Bribe: Pupils Protest 'Jaafar Jaafar, Your Video Will Not Stop Us...'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.