Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,933 members, 7,814,167 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal (20296 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / 7 Reasons Why FG Is Moving To Re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 2:55pm On May 13, 2016
Standing5:
Always rushing to comment half trash half sense. The OP is partially right. The write up didn't take into consideration fact that governors to were opposed to accumulation of funds into the FGs purse due to open looting going on then.
The most glaring difference between 2012 and 2016 removal is trust in leaders. Even if oil sold for $108pb at present, Nigerians would support subsidy removal because they believe the money will be well spent to alleviate their pains.

You don't worth engaging in a debate.

Once a psycophantic zombie, always hypnotized.

The excess we had from the increase was shared by States (surep)

The indisputable stats remains that Jonathan reduced poverty by 50%, increased middle class by 30% and was instrumental to making Nigeria the highest economy in Africa and 23rd in the world.

Continue trusting Buhari while thousands die of hunger and starvation.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by odimbannamdi(m): 2:56pm On May 13, 2016
Dropshot

I admire the non-sentimental and objective reasoning behind your post. You argued logically with infallible proofs.

I am also of the opinion that the removal of subsidy in 2012 would have been suicidal because the excess funds would still have been looted, no capital projects implemented and we would still pay through our noses for the fuel and other basic needs that would skyrocket in prices.

In fact, we would be paying as much as 150 for fuel coz it would still have increased more

But with a president, even though slow at making decisions, but frowns at corrupt practices, this is the perfect time to remove fuel subsidy. Even though the heart of man can not be trusted, but its is like that the accruing funds would be diverted into other profitable ventures.

My concern, however, is in 2-fold.

First, relevant representatives of the people (if not even a direct interaction with the people themslves) should have been extensively consulted to decide on the particular price to peg the price of fuel. Afterall, the bulk buyers and recipients of the resultant change in prices of goods and sevices are the masses.

I am of the opinion that 145naira – an 80% - increment is too high. 100-110naira would have been bearable.

Secondly, our people say that you can not beat a child and tell him not to cry. That would amount to being heartless. Knowing the cascading effect of the hike in fuel price, the government should have moved to first increase the salaries of workers so as to increase their purchasing power. That way, some money would circulate instead of being in the hands of a few.

May God give us leaders that love us and have our best interest at heart

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Ezemust: 2:58pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

The plan was right but he didn't have the trust of Nigeria not to waste the ploughed back subsidy.

If the scenario occurs again with GEJ at the helms, we will resist him. There lies the difference.
gej who just won election few months before that date has already loss the people's support?

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 2:59pm On May 13, 2016
DesChyko:

You will resist. I wouldn't. I never will. Not then. Not now. I took my time to understand fully the implications of deregulation of the petroleum sector, citing the telecommunications companies and its advantage to Nigerians. This was critical to my mindset over the fuel subsidy issue.

The fact is that whether or not people had misgivings about the deals behind the telecommunications sector, it didn't stop Nigerians as a whole from enjoying the benefits. The same thing is applicable to the fuel subsidy.

Hiding behind an excuse of corruption charges fools no one who has a concrete idea of how the machinery of deregulation works. It is obvious that on this issue, we just went four years and four months backwards. Better late than never. The only problem is that there is a poor enabling environment for this to work to perfection at the moment.

i once remember my dad being rich den, we had a generator which was ageing very fast and keeping shouting dad change this gen with a new one and he refuse. but a faithful day this generator broke down totally and by then dad income has drastically reduce , almost all his savings has be spent on servicing this gen . so mum took dad by the bulls and bought a new generator. now would i say mum is stupid or insensitive seeing the savings is getting down and income is no longer stable?
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LaExpert: 2:59pm On May 13, 2016
knowme:

Lol, accept that your man was too weak to run this country simple
Only if you accept that the supposed 'weak man' had the best economic policies.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 3:03pm On May 13, 2016
Jonathief was an evil that plague this country but we thank God he casted him out. His baptismal name is corruption.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Johnsinia(m): 3:08pm On May 13, 2016
NIGERIANS USE UR HEAD TO ASK QUESTIONS. They APC criminals ve come again to decieve you as they did in the last general election. Now they want you to accept this "subsidy removal" by fire by force. They ve started opening up deception thrends like this particular one to decieve you again. To catch a thief is very simple, all u need do is to jst relax and watch them contradicting themselves in the sense of wnting to steal frm u. They will condem and come back to what they condem, they will promise heaven and earth and can not even give u a kobo. They will blame others as a reason of their failure. They will use u as foo.ls to protest against the policy of a sitting government and go back to dat same policy witout minnding that some of u lost ur life, witout minding that ur businesses ws shot down. This people (APC) are all run away theives from the PDP. And nw they ve come to decieve u to accept hardship. Shine ur eyes naija. Let's collectively reject this lies and demonic agent cajoling themselves as saint whereas they are wolf who wnt to destroy humanity.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ibietela2(m): 3:08pm On May 13, 2016
[b]
MizMyColi:
You people make me wonder if there is anything this government will churn out that you guys will not have a way of getting around at.

Now, the only reason you are harping on is that Buhari is more full of integrity than Jonathan.
A man that promised to declare his assets publicly and has blatantly failed to do so.
Recruitments went on through the backdoor at CBN and FIRS, the same precedent we had during PDP's reign and nothing was done about that.

Lai mohammed sought to borrrow 13 million naira from the NBC, an allegation he batantly denied. 13 million for what?! and some of you are behind your laptop screens screaming "change".

What is it about this government exactly that inspires confidence in some of you. Show me please. I am so low of it now.

Some of you hide behind your hate for anything Goodluck Jonathan to support and defend things which should be utterly condemned.
Some of you do it because your brother is in power. Modath specifically mentioned the Yoruba factor.
Most of you who passionately support this government do not live in this country, you have no idea what it feels like to have your living expenses sky rocket while your income remains stagnant.

Honesty, I realy want to know exactly what this government has done to inspire confidence in you guys.
In one breath Ministers cannot travel first class, in another, his child flies first class.

The president admits that his citizens are fantastically corrupt and you expect things to work out just how, exactly?

The budget was padded without restraint and last I checked, there was no available public information of ammendments, yet it has been passed. The perpetrators who are meant to be facing justice were merely demoted. What was the purpose of that exactly....so they can continue their thievery in lower departments, and you claim you want to purge the system? Where then is the difference from the travails of yesterday?

The corrupt people of yesterday are still the same ones we have today.
They now wear different clothing.

Crude was higher during GEJ's regime and the price was 141 then.
Crude is much lower now and we have to grapple with 145?

I expect every wise mind to first of all keep quiet and give this people time to see how exactly they mop things up/do things differently.
Don't just jump in and support a policy for which you may never feel the effect based on mere speculations that they are "trustworthy".

People you call trustworthy are those who told you that they made the agreement in conjunction with NLC TUC and other bodies.
Except there are now factions in NLC, we all saw NLC arise to say that no one consulted them.

So much for trusting "trustworthy" people.

I'm just going to contain my angst and hope that things get better really.
It's such a shame really that this immoral, insensitive and illegal act is being supported by the few who are supposed to know better undecided
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:09pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:
The only write-up worthy of appreciation or/and reading now should be: Jonathan was right on subsidy removal.

Tell us the flaws of Ojota's sponsored bring-back our subsidy protest.

Condemn every opposition and demonization of Jonathan's administration on Subsidy removal January, 2012.

Blast every anti-deregulation cabal and opposition to Jonathan administration second push to total deregulation when he re-echoed it six months after the previous was defeated.

Do you know that the two challenges that escalated looting in Jonathan's administration was imposed on him? I mean fuel subsidy and Bokoharam. Both anti-deregulation and Bokoharam were sponsored to bring down Jonathan's administration and there they succeeded.

Let's for once appreciate some of the great policies of past administration.
Was Dasuki given allowed by the Last admin to empty the CBN? If yes then GEJ deserves no commendation, but if no he is my man for life! But unfortunately the former is more correct!

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 3:09pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:
The only write-up worthy of appreciation or/and reading now should be: Jonathan was right on subsidy removal.

Condemn every opposition and demonization of Jonathan's administration on Subsidy removal January, 2012.

Blast every anti-deregulation cabal and opposition to Jonathan administration second push to total deregulation when he re-echoed it six months after the previous was defeated.

Do you know that the two challenges that escalated looting in Jonathan's administration was imposed on him? I mean fuel subsidy and Bokoharam. Both anti-deregulation and Bokoharam were sponsored to bring down Jonathan's administration and there they succeeded.

You still do not understand, supporting Jonathan subsidy removal move is like selling Nigeria for gbanjo, Jonathan and his could have auction us back to colonialsm. Jonathan was an evil plague that God of thunder casted out of control. See my prayer for you is that may your life never experience the demon call cakerworm, that was what Jonathief was to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by An0nimus: 3:09pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

No sir. He had already proved to be Ineffectual since his days as acting president and later president in 2010.

Please tell me something Sir Dropshot. Are you saying that #OccupyNigeria was because GEJ was (according to you) deemed ineffectual? Was the subsidy-removal idea by GEJ a good one or not?
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Silentmind(m): 3:14pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

The plan was right but he didn't have the trust of Nigeria not to waste the ploughed back subsidy.

If the scenario occurs again with GEJ at the helms, we will resist him. There lies the difference.

Your ability to call to know GEJ is corrupt as at January 2012 creates a very big hole in your reasoning. As at then, GEJ was considered by many as the saviour of our economy. You did not support because of what tinubu and his cronies told you in Ojota.

You were happy to fight against him in 2012 and allow some few oil marketers whisk away over a trillion of our money just because you feel a man is corrupt? How do you people reason things? So, to you, it was better that these men eat our money than the government.

You also forgot that palliatives were initiated to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal but you guys fought against it.

You guys fought against it, to the extent that you said it doesn't exist, why is it existing now?

You want me to reason with you when you did not reason with me then.

3 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by excel101(m): 3:20pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

No sir. He had already proved to be Ineffectual since his days as acting president and later president in 2010.
So now who is more effectual? The very formula the self acclaimed wise one condemned, is the same he want to use. Funny enough they are confused.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 3:21pm On May 13, 2016
Silentmind:

Your ability to call to know GEJ is corrupt as at January 2012 creates a very big hole in your reasoning. As at then, GEJ was considered by many as the saviour of our economy. You did not support because of what tinubu and his cronies told you in Ojota.

You were happy to fight against him in 2012 and allow some few oil marketers whisk away over a trillion of our money just because you feel a man is corrupt? How do you people reason things? So, to you, it was better that these men eat our money than the government.

You also forgot that palliatives were initiated to cushion the effect of the subsidy removal but you guys fought against it.

You guys fought against it, to the extent that you said it doesn't exist, why is it existing now?

You want me to reason with you when you did not reason with me then.
jonathan was the supposedly saviour till he finished Yaradua tenor but since he came to power in 2011 the monster of corruption in him woke up in full blown, he suddenly realise that from shoeless status he should become the richest president in Africa in few year by all means of looting.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ojtech8291: 3:24pm On May 13, 2016
Half of Nigerians are now creative writers in the name of pdp or apc. You are writing articles and the poor are crying. Everybody knows that removal of fuel subsidy is good but not in this situation in the country. The poor are the ones suffering it. Something i notice is that some of these writers are being used by politicians in order to score cheap points. Just within two days price of commodities have gone up. STOP CAMPAIGNING FOR POLITICIANS, CAMPAIGN FOR THE POOR
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Silentmind(m): 3:26pm On May 13, 2016
focus7:
jonathan was the supposedly saviour till he finished Yaradua tenor but since he came to power in 2011 the monster of corruption in him woke up in full blown, he suddenly realise that from shoeless status he should become the richest president in Africa in few year by all means of looting.

He was just inaugurated on may29. What were his dubious policies before 2012 January

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by mfm04622: 3:38pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Commend them for a policy they couldn't see through? Commendations is for those who succeed, not for those who try!

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Whykee: 3:42pm On May 13, 2016
Asari dokubo built a University in Cotonou, what business was he into that in the 5 years of GEJ's tenure could afford to build a University. While he doesn't have a secondary school in his village. I believe Nigerians were against subsidy removal during GEJ's tenure because he lacked the political will to tackle corruption, one can can even say corruption during GEJ's tenure supersede that's of IBB's tenure.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 3:42pm On May 13, 2016
focus7:
You still do not understand, supporting Jonathan subsidy removal move is like selling Nigeria for gbanjo, Jonathan and his could have auction us back to colonialsm. Jonathan was an evil plague that God of thunder casted out of control. See my prayer for you is that may your life never experience the demon call cakerworm, that was what Jonathief was to Nigeria.

This is the type of comment you get when dealing with persons with zero leadership experience.

How often do you see Fashola and Ibeh Kachikwu criticizing their predecessors?

Always easy talking from sideways.

I am yet to see how Jonathan embezzled funds different from Buhari's $2.8 billion in 1978 stashed in London Bank.

Is it Aisha that is conduit pipe for stealing/transferring Nigeria's money overseas?

Get lost and continue being a sycophantic psycho.

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by mfm04622: 3:43pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Tell me more, 7 months into his inauguration?

You are wrong, nobody questioned or came up with Jonathan's integrity after 7 months into his administration until your fake, sponsored and bigoted anti-deregulation protest.

His approval rating was at all time high of 70+ on December, 2011

We have been questioning his integrity even before then! If you is not corrupt why did he give Tunde Bakare $50,000?

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by mfm04622: 3:46pm On May 13, 2016
Oxenomy:
Me I'm not even pained by the fuel subsidy removal per se, what pains me most is the hypocrisy laden with the whole thing. Are these same ediots not the ones shouting palliative measures before removal of subsidy during GEJ administration? And I ask now, is there any palliative measure in place? .. What of increasing minimum wage to 30k-35k before the removal?.. Why will price of all commodities and essential services keep increasing with stagnant/decline of source of income of the masses?.... We are in for a long rough ride and it's unfortunate that our president is not a listening president. angry sad sad

Where is the money for palliative? You want to kill states that can pay salary now by increasing their wage bill? I can assure you that if this minimum wage is increased, maybe only Lagos and Rivers and maybe Delta will not be owing salary. The money rain is over. We have to pay for wastes of past years
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Standing5(m): 3:48pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

You don't worth engaging in a debate.

Once a psycophantic zombie, always hypnotized.

The excess we had from the increase was shared by States (surep)

The indisputable stats remains that Jonathan reduced poverty by 50%, increased middle class by 30% and was instrumental to making Nigeria the highest economy in Africa and 23rd in the world.

Continue trusting Buhari while thousands die of hunger and starvation.
If the IB GEJ did all you wrote there, why was he borrowing to pay salary. You think debt increases net worth of an economy. Going by your argument' i can sense you aren't so mature. So if a man borrows to send his children to good schools and leaves behind huge debt for the children he deserves praise.
Go on and be praising a man who help enslave the unborn generation because of narrow-mindedness.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DropShot: 3:48pm On May 13, 2016
odimbannamdi:
Dropshot

I admire the non-sentimental and objective reasoning behind your post. You argued logically with infallible proofs.

I am also of the opinion that the removal of subsidy in 2012 would have been suicidal because the excess funds would still have been looted, no capital projects implemented and we would still pay through our noses for the fuel and other basic needs that would skyrocket in prices.

In fact, we would be paying as much as 150 for fuel coz it would still have increased more

But with a president, even though slow at making decisions, but frowns at corrupt practices, this is the perfect time to remove fuel subsidy. Even though the heart of man can not be trusted, but its is like that the accruing funds would be diverted into other profitable ventures.

My concern, however, is in 2-fold.

First, relevant representatives of the people (if not even a direct interaction with the people themslves) should have been extensively consulted to decide on the particular price to peg the price of fuel. Afterall, the bulk buyers and recipients of the resultant change in prices of goods and sevices are the masses.

I am of the opinion that 145naira – an 80% - increment is too high. 100-110naira would have been bearable.

Secondly, our people say that you can not beat a child and tell him not to cry. That would amount to being heartless. Knowing the cascading effect of the hike in fuel price, the government should have moved to first increase the salaries of workers so as to increase their purchasing power. That way, some money would circulate instead of being in the hands of a few.

May God give us leaders that love us and have our best interest at heart
I perfectly agree on the two points you raised.

There should have been more robust discussion to sensitize and make people key into it before doing it. However, we wouldn't know why they didn't do that.

Of course, increasing workers salary must happen alongside this new price regime. Without it, the increase will be killing and perhaps too difficult to bear for citizens. I want to believe the FG will eventually do that but wanted to be sure to have the new price regime in place first.

Lastly, I still trust this administration to not only provide palliatives but to also deliver on his capital projects which will provide stimulus for the economy. The next two years will reveal much more.

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 3:50pm On May 13, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
Was Dasuki given allowed by the Last admin to empty the CBN? If yes then GEJ deserves no commendation, but if no he is my man for life! But unfortunately the former is more correct!

What are you saying?

Dasuki that was imposed on Jonathan by Northern oligarchs after 16 months of subsidy protest?

We are talking about what happened 7 month after Jonathan was inaugurated and not 2 years after.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 3:52pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

This is the type of comment you get when dealing with persons with zero leadership experience.

How often do you see Fashola and Ibeh Kachikwu criticizing their predecessors?

Always easy talking from sideways.

I am yet to see how Jonathan embezzled funds different from Buhari's $2.8 billion in 1978 stashed in London Bank.

Is it Aisha that is conduit pipe for stealing/transferring Nigeria's money overseas?

Get lost and continue being a sycophantic psycho.
Fine babe, leave sentiment aside even the international world know it that Buhari is not corrupt and that flawed your allegation against him since it remain a speculation without proof. Did you just mentioned the most beautiful president wife in Nigeria? Don't tell me you are envious of her beauty cos I always suppose you should be a beauty to behold as well.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by gaffig: 3:53pm On May 13, 2016
Rose2014:
When I first heard the word PSYCHOLOGY, I spelt it as SYCOLOGY. I didn't know there was a silent P
When APC promised us N45 as pms pump price, I didn't also know there was a silent 'hundred'
*Copied*

Btw op doesn't live in Nigeria and he won't be the one to feel the heat of this removal. For example he won't be the one buying tomatoe for N5000 just to make a pot of stew cheesy but zombies already supporting him as expected.
Even the zombies are looking for any visa at all to jet out of Nigeria cos of hardship cheesy but they have to come here to defend shit just to save face.

One year in office and Nigeria has bn taken 10 years backward. Yet they're still promising u change on top of cancelled promises cheesy
By d time those guys finish with this economy, $1 will be N1000
You don't trust GEJ but you trust the faces of change. grin Yeye de smell
It's so unfortunate that I don't know your gender, but I'll try to be careful. Firstly, your view is not clear, are you agitating for bringing in New government or are you saying the last is better? On the N45 promise don't worry, may God keep you alive till then, I have more to explain but you might not comprehend

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 3:54pm On May 13, 2016
mfm04622:

We have been questioning his integrity even before then! If you is not corrupt why did he give Tunde Bakare $50,000?

Stop doing Nairaland.

Go and read your books.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by klinro(m): 4:02pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

You have said it all
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 4:09pm On May 13, 2016
Silentmind:

He was just inaugurated on may29. What were his dubious policies before 2012 January
Oga you no be silentmind o, you no dey give up?
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 4:13pm On May 13, 2016
focus7:
Fine babe, leave sentiment aside even the international world know it that Buhari is not corrupt and that flawed your allegation against him since it remain a speculation without proof. Did you just mentioned the most beautiful president wife in Nigeria? Don't tell me you are envious of her beauty cos I always suppose you should be a beauty to behold as well.

Stop that, the only advantage Buhari has over Jonathan is the ability to subject his subordinates to work on the dictates of his visions no-matter how good or bad the policies maybe.

The same level of corruption witnessed during Jonathan's administration in oil and gas downstream sector never reduced under Buhari rather it doubled. So tell me another difference.

Marketers no dey fear Buhari.
Bunkering has doubled in the Niger delta.
Smugglers are still doing their things.
Police dey collect bribe as tomorrow no dey.
Ministries are dead in service delivery.
Etc.

Btw, beauty is vain, Favour is deceit.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 4:15pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

What are you saying?

Dasuki that was imposed on Jonathan by Northern oligarchs after 16 months of subsidy protest?

We are talking about what happened 7 month after Jonathan was inaugurated and not 2 years after.
ladyexellency.... Please quit defending Jonathan with all the revelation of massive corruption linking up to him and his clueless administration.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyiridike(f): 4:16pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

In summary, you hate GEJ whether he does good or bad.

Your type would prefer begging on the street to being governed by a visionary man from another tribe and religion.

I hate to live in the same country with people like you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Replies Falana On ‘recover $200bn Looted Funds Advice’ / APC Lifts Suspension Of Akeredolu, Amosun, Okorocha, Usani Uguru, Osita Okechukw / Cecilia Nwayiaka Ujubuonu Is Dead! Oby Ezekwesili's Mum Dies Of Cancer At 78

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.