Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,927 members, 7,814,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal (20295 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / 7 Reasons Why FG Is Moving To Re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Oxenomy: 11:07am On May 13, 2016
Me I'm not even pained by the fuel subsidy removal per se, what pains me most is the hypocrisy laden with the whole thing. Are these same ediots not the ones shouting palliative measures before removal of subsidy during GEJ administration? And I ask now, is there any palliative measure in place? .. What of increasing minimum wage to 30k-35k before the removal?.. Why will price of all commodities and essential services keep increasing with stagnant/decline of source of income of the masses?.... We are in for a long rough ride and it's unfortunate that our president is not a listening president. angry sad sad

8 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DropShot: 11:59am On May 13, 2016
Bassee:

It's attitude. Times are harder for majority of Nigerians, cost of most goods and services will increase in days. Since more money would now be available to the FG, I thought I'd hear of plans to increase the minimum wage of the Nigerian worker cause their purchasing power has now been reduced by this increase. You can't just tell the people to endure the pain if you can actually do something to lighten their yoke.
But Labour is already negotiating with the govt for increase in workers wage.

Let's hear what the govt plans to do to ease the burden but removal of subsidy is the way to go.

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DropShot: 11:59am On May 13, 2016
Bassee:

It's attitude. Times are harder for majority of Nigerians, cost of most goods and services will increase in days. Since more money would now be available to the FG, I thought I'd hear of plans to increase the minimum wage of the Nigerian worker cause their purchasing power has now been reduced by this increase. You can't just tell the people to endure the pain if you can actually do something to lighten their yoke.
But Labour is already negotiating with the govt for increase in workers wage.

Let's hear what the govt plans to do to ease the burden but removal of subsidy is the way to go.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by MasterofNL: 1:06pm On May 13, 2016
Oxenomy:
Me I'm not even pained by the fuel subsidy removal per se, what pains me most is the hypocrisy laden with the whole thing. Are these same ediots not the ones shouting palliative measures before removal of subsidy during GEJ administration? And I ask now, is there any palliative measure in place? .. What of increasing minimum wage to 30k-35k before the removal?.. Why will price of all commodities and essential services keep increasing with stagnant/decline of source of income of the masses?.... We are in for a long rough ride and it's unfortunate that our president is not a listening president. angry sad sad

Gbam!!!!

God bless you|!

6 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by cktheluckyman: 1:10pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

The plan was right but he didn't have the trust of Nigeria not to waste the ploughed back subsidy.

If the scenario occurs again with GEJ at the helms, we will resist him. There lies the difference.

please learn to speak for yourself

5 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Amplitron: 1:10pm On May 13, 2016
Well, we should always look at things in context. Something was not right in 2012 dosn't mean it will never be right.
Governance is deeply rooted in "believability". If the people believe you, you can propose something they once rejected and they will accept it.

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by ednut1(m): 1:10pm On May 13, 2016
fx not subsidy is the issue here
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by WildChild00(m): 1:11pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

No sir. He had already proved to be Ineffectual since his days as acting president and later president in 2010.

you just come online to make some baseless accusations!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Tell me more, 7 months into his inauguration?

You are wrong, nobody questioned or came up with Jonathan's integrity after 7 months into his administration until your fake, sponsored and bigoted anti-deregulation protest.

His approval rating was at all time high of 70+ on December, 2011
that's the scam. .how did dropshot and the rest of the apc followers know gej was to be corrupt or even corrupt........It now buharis turn and nigerians should endure...I can bet you that dropshot is far away from nigeria and enjoying himself somewhere

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by duality(m): 1:14pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

No sir. He had already proved to be Ineffectual since his days as acting president and later president in 2010.

It's obvious you don't know when to stop being silly.

Your insistence on labeling GEJ ineffectual, 7 months after he overwhelmingly won an election and accepted by majority except for the agrived nothern boko haram supporters, kills every objectivity in your writeup.

The subsidy opposition in 2012 was wrong and was all political sentiments. QED.

11 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by eph12(m): 1:15pm On May 13, 2016
Of course FG is right just as it was right 4 years ago. What is left for the FG to do now is to increase minimum wage and give us 24hrs light so we don't have to buy fuel to power our gen.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nnemuka(f): 1:16pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

As I said, he would have been right and successful if he had not proved to be corrupt and ineffectual. End of story.
**** angry
How is he corrupt? has he been indicted ever since the anti corruption crusade?
was he among the panama tax evaders?
was he mentioned to own a house in london?
what really was his crime?

shameless people littered everywhere on nairaland trying to justify what was condemned during GEJ's tenure.
Are you rational at all?
Are living in Nigeria? do you know what it means to buy petrol at 145/pl when minimum wage is 18000.
have you been to the market lately? ****angry angry angry

6 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DropShot: 1:17pm On May 13, 2016
IzonOwei:
that's the scam. .how did dropshot and the rest of the apc followers know gej was to be corrupt or even corrupt........It now buharis turn and nigerians should endure...I can bet you that dropshot is far away from nigeria and enjoying himself somewhere
Stop being emotional and face the topic.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by otunbamyk(m): 1:18pm On May 13, 2016
Op. So as at 2012 u already saw the corruption in GEJ and his govt. Dats intresting ly foolish. Just say occupying oj ota was a big mistake and we all move on from dier. Even in labour calls fir protest against it no .ember of my family will go becos we know beta Dan u. Wen ure ready to relocate to nigeria we discus not wen u sit under a computer and dish out half baked truth. Gej is not coming back only waiting for the day he will be jailed

4 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 1:19pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:
The only write-up worthy of appreciation or/and reading now should be: Jonathan was right on subsidy removal.

Tell us the flaws of Ojota's sponsored bring-back our subsidy protest.

Condemn every opposition and demonization of Jonathan's administration on Subsidy removal January, 2012.

Blast every anti-deregulation cabal and opposition to Jonathan administration second push to total deregulation when he re-echoed it six months after the previous was defeated.

Do you know that the two challenges that escalated looting in Jonathan's administration was imposed on him? I mean fuel subsidy and Bokoharam. Both anti-deregulation and Bokoharam were sponsored to bring down Jonathan's administration and there they succeeded.

Let's for once appreciate some of the great policies of past administration.
jonathan was right but he removed it at a wrong time. Beginning of the year when people needed to move and travel after the celebrations. He removed it before budget was signed. Good decision to drive good result but approach and methodology differs and that's why you see there isn't much agitation as it was then

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by TruthisOut: 1:20pm On May 13, 2016
No reasonable comment here!
All the debates here is about GEJ and PMB showing how we build our institution of government around individuals. Please discuss the benefits or otherwise of these policies on the lives of the ordinary Nigerians.

My take: The subsidy removal at this time is demonic! grin. Salaries as low as N18K are not being paid and job losses here and there. How do the govt expect the populace to survive? Government claim they don't have money, so now they want to exploit the populace for their own survival - it is like the common man providing cushion for the government. It should be the other way round.
Government cannot provide reliable mass transit and power supply at least to help the people. The people have no choice but to provide it for themselves. Now government decided to increase the price of PMS so that the people cannot even provide them anymore.

Well, Nigerians as we know cannot speak with one voice; they are divided along party, ethnic, religious, affluence and even common sense lines. Keep supporting this insincere government at your own peril.

I don talk finish. Madam wey u dey...any cold beer?
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 1:23pm On May 13, 2016
Crappy epistle for sango! Status-quo is a parody of the change promised by the heartless hypocritic nomad! This ain't d change I VOTED!

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by hucienda: 1:23pm On May 13, 2016
OP Dropshot, you can't fool no one here with your hypocrisy and bigotry against the former President Jonathan and his administration on this particular Subsidy Removal issue. He was right in January 2012 as the same issue is right now in May 2016 with the current Buhari administration (albeit now more difficult with a comatose economy). The write-up on this same issue by chronique on today's Nairaland front page is fact, balanced and as it happened.
Save your pseudo-intellect and deception for fools.

5 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by MNDY(m): 1:24pm On May 13, 2016
Subsidy removal, way to go but if the minimum wage is not increased as palliative measure to boost purchasing power, NIGERIANS WILL DRINK FIRE IN JUST THE NEXT FEW DAYS ALONE
-
I want that (and not the subsidy removal) to form the basis of the looming protest #OccupyNigeria which I think the govt can avert even as we wait to hear its planned palliative measure!
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by tosyne2much(m): 1:27pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:
Times are tough, no doubt. The situation we find ourselves as a nation is dire, no doubt. As the FG announced the new price regime for fuel pump price from 87 naira to 145 naira max, a lot of people including on this forum have criticized the action of the government and accusing it of insensitivity to the plight of the common man.

While this article is not deliberately focused on the past administration of GEJ and how it managed our resources, it’s nearly impossible to attempt to justify the current government’s action without needing to make reference to the oil boom period of 2011 to 2014. Had the immediate past administration judiciously utilized what we earned and what it inherited from OBJ/Yar’Adua, it’s very unlikely that we will find ourselves in this messy situation.

While I don’t oppose a government providing palliatives to its citizens to cushion effects of high cost of essential commodities, it makes no economic sense to do that if there are no resources to do it. Nigeria with a paltry $27 billion dollars in foreign reserves (GEJ met it at $47 billion, earned more than any president in Nigeria’s history, yet depleted it to abysmal level), $2 billion in Excess Crude Account, lacks the resources to subsidize fuel.

In the same way, it will be disastrous to support a corrupt regime to remove subsidy from essential commodities while the president watches helplessly as his foot soldiers defraud the citizens and enrich themselves corruptly. Numerous corruption cases ongoing is a reminder of how GEJ allowed the Dasukis, Bafarawas, Akpobolokemis, Mettuhs, Diezannis, Inde Dikos and many others steal us blind.

Brief History of Fuel Subsidy
Beginning from when OBJ re-introduced fuel subsidy in 2006 as a palliative for high landing cost of imported refined fuel, Nigeria has spent more than N6 trillion to subsidize fuel since then
*2006 – N151.9 billion; *2007- N188 billion; *2008 – N256.3billion (January to July); *2009 – N421.5billion; *2010 – N673 billion; *2011 – (N1.3 trillion)revised to N2.19 trillion; *2012 – N888 billion + N161.6 billion supplementary *2013 – N971 billion; and, *2014 – N971.1 billion
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/why-fuel-subsidy-must-go-2/
The amount spent on subsidy in 2015 was in excess of N1 trillion
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/nigeria-spends-n1tr-on-fuel-subsidy-in-2015-kachikwu/124416.html

Why Fuel Subsidy Is Not Sustainable Now
It’s not a hidden fact that our earnings from crude sale has nose-dived; more than halved from what it used to be. The average crude price per barrel now is below 30$ since beginning of this year. When compared to an average of $90 to $100 for the four years of 2011 to 2014, no one need a rocket scientist to understand the money to subsidize the product is no longer there.

Throughout the world, all countries that have their economy largely dependent on crude oil have experienced economic set-back and most of them have taken drastic actions to cut back on their expenses on subsidy. Saudi Arabia, at the beginning of crude price fall had more than $600 billion in foreign reserves, yet she increased fuel pump price by 50% http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/05/news/economy/saudi-arabia-oil-budget-gas/.

Qatar increased fuel price by about 35% and still planning to increase it further, UAE and many other Gulf countries refine their own crude locally, can afford to keep subsidy, yet have all removed some subsidy from petroleum products. The only places where fuel prices have gone down since crude price crash are the economies that were not enjoying any form of subsidy when crude price was high.

Going by this summation, it amounts to irrationality, lack of having any grasp about happenings in the world economy, or pure and deliberate emotional blackmail to expect Nigeria to be able to keep subsidizing fuel especially with her current economic recession.

Why Nigerians Were Right to Oppose GEJ’s Subsidy Removal in 2012
I, among many other Nigerians were opposed to GEJ’s plan to remove subsidy from petrol in 2012 and here are some of the reasons:

1. GEJ by then had already proved to be shamelessly corrupt and lacking the political will to stem the tide. So, we were right to believe that the subsidy to be removed will still end up being looted one way or the other. Events since after the partial removal have proved us right as not a single measure of the promised palliatives was fulfilled. No mass transit buses. No new refineries as promised. No new roads built as promised.
OP, I was reading the write-up meticulously when the highlighted got my attention.. You're indeed a man of in-dept thinking cool

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Bizibi(m): 1:28pm On May 13, 2016
Oxenomy:
exactly,it is the hypocrisy that irritate.......

4 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Dajugba: 1:29pm On May 13, 2016
The govt is doing what should ve suppose to be done, but at the wrong time. I remember same time 2012 when Gej subsidies fuel nigerians were ranting, and then the economic where still favorable. But never the less de govt has to make sure he set policies that will not cause ordinary Nigerian to pick arms. cos the economic is not encouraging to an average Citizen not considering those who cant afford three square meal. It is well.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by mrbillz(m): 1:30pm On May 13, 2016
God dey

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by MizMyColi(f): 1:30pm On May 13, 2016
You people make me wonder if there is anything this government will churn out that you guys will not have a way of getting around at.

Now, the only reason you are harping on is that Buhari is more full of integrity than Jonathan.
A man that promised to declare his assets publicly and has blatantly failed to do so.
Recruitments went on through the backdoor at CBN and FIRS, the same precedent we had during PDP's reign and nothing was done about that.

Lai mohammed sought to borrrow 13 million naira from the NBC, an allegation he batantly denied. 13 million for what?! and some of you are behind your laptop screens screaming "change".

What is it about this government exactly that inspires confidence in some of you. Show me please. I am so low of it now.

Some of you hide behind your hate for anything Goodluck Jonathan to support and defend things which should be utterly condemned.
Some of you do it because your brother is in power. Modath specifically mentioned the Yoruba factor.
Most of you who passionately support this government do not live in this country, you have no idea what it feels like to have your living expenses sky rocket while your income remains stagnant.

Honesty, I realy want to know exactly what this government has done to inspire confidence in you guys.
In one breath Ministers cannot travel first class, in another, his child flies first class.

The president admits that his citizens are fantastically corrupt and you expect things to work out just how, exactly?

The budget was padded without restraint and last I checked, there was no available public information of ammendments, yet it has been passed. The perpetrators who are meant to be facing justice were merely demoted. What was the purpose of that exactly....so they can continue their thievery in lower departments, and you claim you want to purge the system? Where then is the difference from the travails of yesterday?

The corrupt people of yesterday are still the same ones we have today.
They now wear different clothing.

Crude was higher during GEJ's regime and the price was 141 then.
Crude is much lower now and we have to grapple with 145?

I expect every wise mind to first of all keep quiet and give this people time to see how exactly they mop things up/do things differently.
Don't just jump in and support a policy for which you may never feel the effect based on mere speculations that they are "trustworthy".

People you call trustworthy are those who told you that they made the agreement in conjunction with NLC TUC and other bodies.
Except there are now factions in NLC, we all saw NLC arise to say that no one consulted them.

So much for trusting "trustworthy" people.

I'm just going to contain my angst and hope that things get better really.
It's such a shame really that this immoral, insensitive and illegal act is being supported by the few who are supposed to know better undecided

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by mrbillz(m): 1:30pm On May 13, 2016
God dey!

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Lerumo: 1:32pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:
The only write-up worthy of appreciation or/and reading now should be: Jonathan was right on subsidy removal.

Tell us the flaws of Ojota's sponsored bring-back our subsidy protest.

Condemn every opposition and demonization of Jonathan's administration on Subsidy removal January, 2012.

Blast every anti-deregulation cabal and opposition to Jonathan administration second push to total deregulation when he re-echoed it six months after the previous was defeated.

Do you know that the two challenges that escalated looting in Jonathan's administration was imposed on him? I mean fuel subsidy and Bokoharam. Both anti-deregulation and Bokoharam were sponsored to bring down Jonathan's administration and there they succeeded.

Let's for once appreciate some of the great policies of past administration.

Who imposed it on him? Stop dwelling on hearsay and get your facts right before you speak. That you like Jonathan does not mean people should not speak the truth about him.

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Sheggy13(m): 1:34pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

As I said, he would have been right and successful if he had not proved to be corrupt and ineffectual. End of story.
As at January 2012 when GEJ removed subsidy, he hadn't spent up to a year as a full president, (not acting). He enjoyed so much support and goodwill during the election of 2011 from all regions. The masses had not discovered the extent of money looted by his government during this period. It is safe to say nobody had tagged with him the corruption tag his government was later to be identified. So how could people have protested on the ground of corruption? The opposition only took full advantage of that subsidy removal and painted GEJ govt so bad, and people were swayed to believe all what were said because we Nigerians are very emotional and sentimental people. The hypocrisy there now is those same people are the ones that have removed subsidy at the worst possible period in the life of this country, when civil servants in most states are being owed salaries in the region of from 3 months upwards, under the guise of we are not corrupt like the previous government so your money is safe with us. That's the height of insensitivity for a govt that promised heaven to it's citizenry but can never bear their burdens for them. Most of these people have to get fuel to power their I-pass-my-neighbour generator because this same govt has failed in providing stable power supply despite increasing the tariffs and had to ban further importation of these cheap generator that is the only source of succour to the poor man on the street. Just today, the house of Reps committee chairman on Financial crimes said $3.1bn has been recovered so far by EFCC, that's over half of trillion naira. Please tell me where that money is,and how Nigerians are still suffering. God knows I'm never a GEJ apologist. Infact, I despised him, my post-history can show you that, but Buhari is probably the most insensitive leader I've ever come across in this country. We haven't had it so bad like this in this country as it currently is. I hope you'll understand my point of view and not scream Ipod without even having the patience to read through.

9 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 1:37pm On May 13, 2016
DropShot:

How?
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by MizMyColi(f): 1:37pm On May 13, 2016
Nnemuka:

**** angry
How is he corrupt? has he been indicted ever since the anti corruption crusade?
was he among the panama tax evaders?
was he mentioned to own a house in london?
what really was his crime?

shameless people littered everywhere on nairaland trying to justify what was condemned during GEJ's tenure.
Are you rational at all?
Are living in Nigeria? do you know what it means to buy petrol at 145/pl when minimum wage is 18000.
have you been to the market lately? ****angry angry angry

I was going to ask this question as well.
Is it the media who tells us those that are corrupt or is it the court of law.

Till this time, nothing concrete has surfaced on Jonathan.
But then, the media has told us he is corrupt, so he has to be.

How much was Dasuki alleged to have embezzled? How much exactly is he being charged to court for?

What is taking Buhari and EFCC so long to try Dasuki.

So many questions that will only have a question mark at the end.
No answers.

7 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Abdul9025(m): 1:40pm On May 13, 2016
Before you go to protest against the removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government, be informed that the government did not remove any subsidy because there was no subsidy to be removed in the first place. So don't go and protest against what does not exist. Seek information and be informed. This is what the government has done. The government has simply stopped giving foreign exchange to fuel importers and has asked them to source for foreign exchange through secondary sources. Why has the pump price of fuel increased from #86.5 to between #135 and #145? This is specifically as a result of the difrence between the official exchange rate and the informal (parallel) market exchange rate. This is the simple mathematics. The official exchange rate is #199 per dollar while the parallel market exchange rate is #320 per dollar. This represents and increase of 37% (320-199/320 × 100 = 37.8%). This reflected exactly in the new price of petrol as it increased from #86.5 to an averag of #140 which is an increase of 38% (140 - 86.5/140 ×100 = 38%). There may be a gap in the dessimination of information to the public and it is totally regrettable and I am sure it will be taken care of, but I encourage Nigeians to seek the right information. I have always insisted that there was nothjng like fuel subsidy and I stand by that. The Federal government cannot continue to be the sole source of foreign exchange for the importation of fuel in the face of falling price of crude resulting in the depletion of our foreign reserve. It I unsustainable and cannot satisfy the domestic consumption of fuel in Nigeria. Nigeria5get foreign currency from the sell of crude and the price of crude has fallen by over 70%. This means that the government do no long have enough dollars to give to fuel importers. A lame man shoud be able to understand this. With the ccompetition that will set in from the open market, it s expected that thee pump price of fuel will naturally crash in time. Please share and enlighten every Nigerian.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan: African Leaders Plotting Political Coups To Remain In Power / Malami: I Didn’t Ignore Osinbajo’s Directives On APC Ward Congresses / 2023 Presidency: Tinubu Will Speak In January - Fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.