Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,943 members, 7,814,190 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal (20297 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / 7 Reasons Why FG Is Moving To Re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by MizMyColi(f): 6:57pm On May 13, 2016
agabaI23:
When I gave up was the day my own Paddy paddy mody kinda called me a name I do not answer.

Don't take it personal though. It is a free world.

Don't forget that for some people it is wrong to talking while eating. It is a simple table etiquette...

That's what internet politics does to you.
When you are so addicted. It's only a matter of time before your friends who share dissimilar values become enemies.

It takes maturity to overcome that.

Nothing personal, trust me.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by modath(f): 7:08pm On May 13, 2016
agabaI23:
When I gave up was the day my own Paddy paddy mody kinda called me a name I do not answer.

Don't take it personal though. It is a free world.

Don't forget that for some people it is wrong to talking while eating. It is a simple table etiquette...

You are doing it again!!!! Who is eating where Who is the glutton or waki and die? So one can't love someone without any pecuniary expectation?

We had this convo 5yrs ago and I believe we buried it.... why did you resurrect it? Do you think it's fair or just to disparage people for having things go their way when you've had your time?...

3 things make people's blood run hot, and extra defensive... their kids, Religion and political affiliation... it pays to know the line not to cross!!! I ignored you because apart from not being someone that enjoys acrimony, you and I (online or not, don't matter) have had great times and supported each other irrespective of political leanings...

You know quite well I commit to causes so you dissing my choice was a No No No.

Take a moment to think, would you like it if after 2011, I made it a point of duty to continually heckle you over every of Jona's actions (good or bad)? I'm 100% sure you can't find one instance that happened!!! I move on, tomorrow's another day, why have you jonathanians chose to mope till thy kingdom come? Why!!!

Mutual Respect!!! Shouldn't be hard!! cool
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by menxer: 7:29pm On May 13, 2016
there is one analyst whose stand on this fuel subsidy removal is yet to be known: TonyeBarcanista
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by agabaI23(m): 7:51pm On May 13, 2016
modath:

You are doing it again!!!! Who is eating where Who is the glutton or waki and die? So one can't love someone without any pecuniary expectation?

We had this convo 5yrs ago and I believe we buried it.... why did you resurrect it? Do you think it's fair or just to disparage people for having things go their way when you've had your time?...

3 things make people's blood run hot, and extra defensive... their kids, Religion and political affiliation... it pays to know the line not to cross!!! I ignored you because apart from not being someone that enjoys acrimony, you and I (online or not, don't matter) have had great times and supported each other irrespective of political leanings...

You know quite well I commit to causes so you dissing my choice was a No No No.

Take a moment to think, would you like it if after 2011, I made it a point of duty to continually heckle you over every of Jona's actions (good or bad)? I'm 100% sure you can't find one instance that happened!!! I move on, tomorrow's another day, why have you jonathanians chose to mope till thy kingdom come? Why!!!

Mutual Respect!!! Shouldn't be hard!! cool

See who is here!! It is Mody again

Mody, there is only one thing that makes my blood run hot. It is injustice.. Nothing else, but you know that is just me ...

In 2011, you thought I was involved in GEJ's government while I was not even close to my local govt chairman, you also thought my support was because of my tribe and I knew that was wrong grin

Babe take it easy, we are looking for a better country albeit through different routes. We are bound to pick holes especially when the holes are wide...
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by livingoracle: 10:07pm On May 13, 2016
I think, this is what should be do about fuel subsidy. Read what Malam Nasir El-Rufai said in one of his Interviews with Vanguard newspaper on January, 08, 2012. "If another government was in power, let us assume General Buhari was the President of Nigeria, he would not withdraw the subsidy. He will fix the problem. He will audit who is taking the money in the subsidy, who is paying what, how the money multiply three times in one year and fish out the thieves and deal with them". The journalist asked Elrufai the following question and read what he said... "So, why do you think Jonathan lacks the political will to deal with them?" "Because they financed his election. But Buhari would have sorted that out. That is the first thing to do. Now, while you are paying the subsidy, even one quarter of what you are paying is a lot. General Buhari's administration would have ensured that within 12 months all the refineries are working at full capacity. His administration would have built the fourth refinery that will bring our domestic production to the point that we don't need to import a single drop of petrol. And once we can produce our petrol from our own crude oil, at out own cost, we can sell it at any price we like. That is what Buhari's government would have done. Nigerians made a very big mistake for not electing Buhari, and they are learning every day.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by myhotbrain: 10:58pm On May 13, 2016
myhotbrain:

MY RESPONSE TO A MEMBER ON ANOTHER RELATED TOPIC EARLIER TODAY:

FOR THE LAY MAN:

1) CBN IS THE BANKER OF ALL BANKS AND THE BANKER OF THE FGN

2) THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SELL CRUDE OIL IN DOLLARS.

3) WHEN THE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL IS HIGH, FGN MAKES MORE DOLLARS THUS HAVE MORE DOLLARS TO SELL.

4) WHEN THE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL IS LOWER, FGN MAKES LESS DOLLARS THUS HAVE LESS DOLLARS TO SELL.
(BECAUSE PRICE OF CRUDE OIL HAS BEEN VERY VERY LOW FOR OVER 18 MONTHS NOW IS WHY GOVERNMENT STOP SELLING DOLLARS TO BUREAU DE CHANGE AND ALSO BANK THE IMPORTATION OF SOME NON ESSENTIAL GOODS AS WELL AS EXCLUDED SOME OTHER GOODS FROM ACCESSING THE OFFICIAL CBN RATE OF ACTUALLY N198 TO $1. OR ROUNDED UP WE SAY N200.

5) FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SELL DOLLARS TO IMPORTERS OF FUEL AT OFFICIAL RATE. BUT SOMETIMES THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT MIGHT NOT EVEN HAVE DOLLARS TO SELL BECAUSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH. SO THE IMPORTERS HAVE TO SOURCE FOR DOLLARS ON THEIR OWN OR NOT IMPORT AT ALL WHICH MIGHT CAUSE SHORTAGE OF FUELS AND RESULTED TO SCARCITY OF FUEL AND LONG LINES AT THE FILLING STATION.

6) GOVERNMENT NOW IS SAYING THAT THEY WANT TO GET OUT OF SUBSIDY ALTOGETHER BECAUSE OF ALL THE PROBLEMS INVOLVED BUT OF COURSE, WILL STILL REGULATE THE PRICING MODULE THIS IS WHY MR IBE KACHIKWU SAY PRICE OF PETROL WILL BE BETWEEN N135-N145.

ADVICE:

1) QUESTIONS SHOULD BE ASKED OF GOVERNMENT SUCH AS:

A) CAN ANYBODY NOW IMPORT FUEL AS THEY WISH JUST AS AGO,
B) CAN THE IMPORTER ACCESS OFFICIAL DOLLAR RATE OR THEY ARE OYO (ON YOUR OWN)
C) WHAT IF CRUDE OIL PRICE INCREASES SHARPLY IN THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET AND PRICE OF PETROL RISES ALONG WITH IT? WHAT SOCIAL PALLIATIVE WILL BE EMPLOYED TO ASSUAGE THE EFFECT?
D) WHEN WILL THE NEW REFINERIES COME ON BOARD?
E) HAVE THEY OFFICIALLY EXIT THE KEROSENE SUBSIDY REGIME AND CAN ANY IMPORTER ALSO ENGAGE IN THAT IMPORTATION.
F) WHEN WILL THEY DISTRIBUTE THE FREE GAS CYLINDERS TO THE POOR MASSES AND WHAT INFRASTRUCTURE WILL THEY HAVE ON GROUND SO THAT EVERYONE WHO NEEDS GAS CAN ACCESS IT AT A FAIR PRICE AND ADEQUATELY?

2) LABOR UNIONS SHOULD ASK FOR IMMEDIATE REVIEW OF THEIR SALARIES TO AT LEAST, DOUBLE OF WHAT THE CURRENT MINIMUM IS I.E. N36,000.

3) WE MUST DEMAND FOR A WELL FUNDED AND WELL EQUIPPED POLICE FORCE AND OF COURSE, MORE RECRUITMENT; THAT APPROVED 10,000 RECRUITMENT SPOT IS DEFINITELY NOT ENOUGH, WE SHOULD BE TALKING OF A YEARLY INCREASE OF MINIMUM 50,000 FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS.

WHY? BECAUSE THE FEAR OF AN EFFICIENT NON-BRIBE TAKING POLICE FORCE IS THE BEGINNING OF ORDERLINESS, CRIME PREVENTION AND ENFORCEMENT. GO SEE THE DEVELOP WORLD. THE MERE SEEING OF A POLICE CAR BEHIND YOUR OWN IS THE ULTIMATE REASON TO OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS.

WE ARE SICK AND TIRED OF SEEING POLICE OFFICERS AS BEGGERS ON THE STREET AND EXTORTIONIST IN THEIR POLICE STATIONS.

CONCLUSION:

SUBSIDY OF PETROLEUM PRODUCTS MUST GO AND NEVER REAR ITS UGLY HEAD AGAIN.
ASIDE OF THE WASTE WHICH IT HAS BEEN CONSTITUTING FOR SUCH A LONG TIME. IT IS ALSO A SHAME ON OUR COLLECTIVE INTELLIGENCE THAT WE ARE IMPORTING PRODUCTS IN WHICH WE HAVE COMPARATIVE ADVANTAGE IN THE SOURCE OF RAW MATERIALS FOR THOSE PRODUCTS.

RATHER THAN IMPORTING FUELS, NIGERIA SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE AFRICAN LEADER IN THE EXPORTATION OF REFINED PRODUCTS AND THIS IS WHY I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED SUBSIDY REMOVAL.

AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO CALL ON ALL MONEY-BAGS TO JUMP ON THIS SHIP NOW: BUILD REFINERIES EITHER MODULAR OR GREENFIELD, BUILD GAS DISPENSING DEPOTS...THESE ARE BUSINESSES FOR THE PRESENT AND NOW...

GOVERNMENT SHOULD ALSO ENCOURAGE THE USE OF DUAL POWER FOR THE ROAD TRANSPORT OWNERS I.E. ENACT LAWS WHICH WILL MAKE ALL BUSES USE BOTH GAS AND PETROL SO THAT WE CAN REDUCE THE USE OF PETROL.
FYI: NIGERIA IS SAID TO BE THE 4TH LARGEST OWNER OF GAS RESERVE...WE CAN START TO HARNESS THE POTENTIALS OF THIS RESERVE AND USE ITS PROCEED TO BENEFIT OUR PEOPLE.

TAKING A BREAK FOR NOW

PEACE!
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by help3852: 7:29am On May 14, 2016
DropShot:

As I said, he would have been right and successful if he had not proved to be corrupt and ineffectual. End of story.
**** gej was barely 6 months in office when he opted to remove fuel subsidy, how could you describe a person you barely know as corrupt. idiot fill be bigotry
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by greatman247(m): 7:45am On May 14, 2016
DesChyko:
The plain reality is that Jonathan was right. Unfurling layers after layers of semantics doesn't coat your double-standards.

Meanwhile, in one breath, you ridicule him for not saving during the days of boom. In another breath, you post this:

Make up your mind

No one ridiculed him, the truth is he actually did not save during the oil boom and he met $47 billion and depleted it to $27 billion, even his then minister of finance attested to that fact, even though later she blamed it on gov at the time. But the truth is GEJ was a weak leader. A good leader still supposed to stand on his ground and save.

He was so weak even though he was so right with the fuel subsidy removal in 2012. He actually meant well but still he was not trusted by Nigerians with the country's economy based on the above.

He was so scared of the then Senate for fear of being impeached thereby doing their bidding at the detriment of the Nigerian people that voted him. But Buhari confronted them most times when he feels they are wrong.

GEJ was so weak, the same padding that happened during Buhari era now happened in GEJ's time too but he signed the Budget into law and after he was threatening them that he will punish anyone seen to be lobbying for contract in the budget. A good President don't suppose to sign such Budget. A good president should fight corruption by not signing and punish the culprit before signing not after signing. Buhari punished the civil servants guilty in the padding of the 2016 Budget and redeployed them, even though not enough and stood his ground against the Senate by refusing to sign the 2016 Budget despite the public outcry, then Senate succumb in the end by removing some of the padding from the 2016 Budget. Because he knows if he goes ahead to sign the padded 2016 Budget and something happens tomorrow, the Senate will dissociate themselves away from Buhari and then deny him. He was so aware to their ploy.

Another issue where they have pressurised Buhari to devalue the Naira, he said they should convince him that Devaluation of Naira is healthy to Nigeria economy. He stood his ground despite pressures and things were falling apart, if it was to be GEJ he would have devalue the Naira due to pressure even not necessarily what he feels is right to do in his mind. And yet some people call Buhari dull.

Leadership to me is NOT so much about your level of education, I really think, leadership is more about experience. How much of experience you can bring to the table not your level of education. Buhari has experienced it before to know Devaluation of Naira offer no good to the citizens.

A good leader should sometimes stand his ground even though not all the time. Because when things go wrong its the leader they will blame not the followers in 99% cases. So a good leader should guard his govt jealously and consult wild before taking decision in sensitive matters.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:20am On May 14, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Do you know what we call reserve, the importance and value? It is only a foolish Father that dies of hunger to keep inheritance for the living.

Any Economy undergoing transformation uses its reserves. There was more than 18 months of low crude price under Jonathan hence your assertion is incorrect.

So you undersnd this and still blame Buhari! Now tell me what happens when an economy that is resiliently committed to embrace transformation is faced with the problem of an already plundered reserve?pls be sincere!
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:56am On May 16, 2016
Oga swear with your left eye say you no abuse Gej when he wanted to do the same thing.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by odimbannamdi(m): 9:53am On May 16, 2016
greatman247:

No one ridiculed him, the truth is he actually did not save during the oil boom and he met $47 billion and depleted it to $27 billion, even his then minister of finance attested to that fact, even though later she blamed it on gov at the time. But the truth is GEJ was a weak leader. A good leader still supposed to stand on his ground and save.

He was so weak even though he was so right with the fuel subsidy removal in 2012. He actually meant well but still he was not trusted by Nigerians with the country's economy based on the above.

He was so scared of the then Senate for fear of being impeached thereby doing their bidding at the detriment of the Nigerian people that voted him. But Buhari confronted them most times when he feels they are wrong.

GEJ was so weak, the same padding that happened during Buhari era now happened in GEJ's time too but he signed the Budget into law and after he was threatening them that he will punish anyone seen to be lobbying for contract in the budget. A good President don't suppose to sign such Budget. A good president should fight corruption by not signing and punish the culprit before signing not after signing. Buhari punished the civil servants guilty in the padding of the 2016 Budget and redeployed them, even though not enough and stood his ground against the Senate by refusing to sign the 2016 Budget despite the public outcry, then Senate succumb in the end by removing some of the padding from the 2016 Budget. Because he knows if he goes ahead to sign the padded 2016 Budget and something happens tomorrow, the Senate will dissociate themselves away from Buhari and then deny him. He was so aware to their ploy.

Another issue where they have pressurised Buhari to devalue the Naira, he said they should convince him that Devaluation of Naira is healthy to Nigeria economy. He stood his ground despite pressures and things were falling apart, if it was to be GEJ he would have devalue the Naira due to pressure even not necessarily what he feels is right to do in his mind. And yet some people call Buhari dull.

Leadership to me is NOT so much about your level of education, I really think, leadership is more about experience. How much of experience you can bring to the table not your level of education. Buhari has experienced it before to know Devaluation of Naira offer no good to the citizens.

A good leader should sometimes stand his ground even though not all the time. Because when things go wrong its the leader they will blame not the followers in 99% cases. So a good leader should guard his govt jealously and consult wild before taking decision in sensitive matters.

Exactly my point bro!

GEJ meant well when he attempted to remove subsidy, but he could not be trusted to do much because of his inability to confront corruption headlong.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by greatman247(m): 10:02am On May 16, 2016
odimbannamdi:

Exactly my point bro!

GEJ meant well when he attempted to remove subsidy, but he could not be trusted to do much because of his inability to confront corruption headlong.

You are absolutely right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

U.S. Embassy Team Takes On Magu Over DSS Allegations / Why I Gave Extra N10billion To National Assembly — Kemi Adeosun / Governor Umahi Arrives From South Africa, Inspects Project Sites Immediately

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.