Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,081 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:01 AM

FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal (20294 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / 7 Reasons Why FG Is Moving To Re-arrest Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:18pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

What are you saying?

Dasuki that was imposed on Jonathan by Northern oligarchs after 16 months of subsidy protest?

We are talking about what happened 7 month after Jonathan was inaugurated and not 2 years after.
ur admittance of the fact that Dasuki was imposed on GEJ further confirms the fact that he (GEJ) was not incharge! So on what basis did he want to remain in power? For ur info the buck stops at the desk of the President!

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by jaybim: 4:20pm On May 13, 2016
Petrol Scarcity. There have been acute fuel scarcity and dreadfully long queues at petrol stations since the weeks leading up to the take off of this administration and thereafter. This has plunged Nigerians into further hardship and suffering in the form of long queues, hikes in cost of goods and transportation fares, not forgetting the anguish of the small business that needs petrol to run its “I beta pass my neighbour” or the home that needs fuel in the gen so the baby can sleep soundly with caresses from the cool breeze issuing from the fan in these terribly hot and NEPAless times. This climaxed a few days ago with the hike in fuel price. This hike has however elicited mixed reactions from the generality of Nigerians with an almost equal “Aye” and “Nay” divides.

Let’s break it down. Generally, Nigerians saw/see fuel subsidy as the only benefit we enjoy from the oil we produce and rightly so; social structures are rotten and most Nigerians are their own government, so why not enjoy the only subsidized commodity in the country. However, we know how the subsidy regime has been fraught with “fantastic corruption” hence the need for it to be reviewed. Secondly, there is a need to fully deregulate the downstream sector to allow for open market operations ESPECIALLY as the NNPC alone cannot meet the demand for the product. NOTE that it is the landing cost of petrol that is subsidized, after landing it is each marketer for himself. It does not make practical business sense to have an independent marketer in Maiduguri to sell at the same price with the man in Lagos or Ilorin considering all the variables applied. So outside Lagos and other major cities, petrol has actually been selling above the regulated pump price. In view of this regulated environment, operators who were granted licences to build refineries refrained from doing so, and with good reason, obviously.

In 2012, an attempt was made to stop subsidies and deregulate, naturally we revolted because we simply did not trust the government to stick to its end of the bargain. We were vindicated by the scam called SURE-P. I wrote a piece at that time stating that a genuine revamping of the refineries and its supporting structures was the answer. By now that would have satisfied more than 70% of local demand and reduced subsidy payments by the same figure, given that imports will only be used to make up for the shortfall. We all know that hasn’t happened just as we can hazard a fair guess as to why it hasn’t happened.

So what has changed now? For one, the government. Also, the realization that resources have dwindled to a mere trickle and as such the government cannot continue with subsidy payments which in reality benefit only a few; the marketers. Deregulation should also encourage those with licenses to dust them up and start building those refineries whether modular or full sized. So am I in support of deregulation this time? Absolutely. Do I think this is the right time? Better now than later. However, I disagree with two fundamental points here. One is the decision to put a price ceiling on the commodity because I do not see how that can operate in a deregulated environment but I am willing to give the government the benefit of the doubt by accepting its explanation that it fixed to protect the consumer from exploitation. My second and more fundamental problem is the fact that marketers have been asked to source FX from alternative sources. Considering the current FX situation in the country, that is akin to throwing us under the bridge to be carried by the on-rushing tide

What must be done? The president needs to be a little more flexible. This isn’t 1983, East or West Germany no longer exist, just as the prevailing climes have changed. I acknowledge that Nigerians need an iron fist and a few punches to set us in line else we are prepared to run amok into all that is sweet on the surface. Concessions have to be made here and there. For example, I would have expected that petrol importers should be given priority in FX allocation so as to cushion the effect of the deregulation and also reduce the demand for FX from alternative sources which would by extension prevent further increase in the exchange rate. Similar incentives must be extended to local businesses, especially those in other sectors of the economy- manufacturing, agriculture etc. Give tax holidays, strengthen infrastructure, CBN facilitate single digit loans and so on. These will go a long way to enhance local production and allow for healthy competition with foreign alternatives. This will in turn strengthen the Naira, make the domestic economy more healthy and robust, reduce unemployment and in turn insecurity and social strife. Security agencies must also live up to their mandates to protect lives and property and the sovereignty of the country from all enemies whether foreign or domestic. We really can’t have people killing and destroying private and common property with impunity.

The refineries must be made to function. The unbundling of the NNPC is a welcome step however it must be allowed to run effectively and efficiently as a business entity. Allowing the refineries run like every other business devoid of government bureaucracy can only result in healthy competition and improved efficiency. The “PIB” should be accelerated and passed so that private organizations encouraged to enter the field and are given more liberty to operate. Government should only play a supervisory role, ensuring standards and industry best practices are observed. Monitor the activities of the companies and protect the interest of the host communities and the nation as a whole.

Finally, we MUST truly diversify this economy. Nigeria is blessed with a plethora of natural resources as well as ingenious people who will make lemonade when given lemons and can sell fire to hell or water to a well. I grew up in Ajaokuta, there is a steel factory there which has been moribund since we first moved there when I was 6, over 20 years ago. Itakpe Iron Ore Mining Company is there. We have arable land everywhere; know the story of the Malaysian palm, so shamelessly told by successive ministers of agriculture. We have coal in Enugu, vast natural gas reserves. Any one of these is a proven export commodity and mainstay of various economies around the world. Excellent weather and have been spared natural disasters. No earthquakes, hurricanes, tropical cyclones or tsunamis, yet we have contrived to make of ourselves Human Disasters.

This brings me to the citizens. The responsibility of nation building does not start and stop at Aso Rock. We also have a very important role to play. Our orientation and thinking has to change. In the outside world, when asked where one is from, we don’t say “Yoruba” or “Igbo” and such. We say Nigeria. We must therefore stop the inane ethno-religious politicking. Wishing the president failure because he is not from your part of the country is like cutting your nose to make your face flat, it is highly unintelligent thinking. We must play our parts in our little ways in our different constituencies. It is not the governor or president who fills drainages with PET bottles of soft drinks or pure water “leda” neither is he the one blowing up pipelines that supply gas to our power plants. We do these things and when the repercussions grab us by the nether regions we call government.

In 2011, I was a Neighbour to Neighbour Volunteer for GEJ’s presidential aspiration against same PMB. GEJ failed woefully. I am not a fan of PMB, given better options I would have voted differently. I just knew I/we couldn’t let the GEJ administration continue. If only for the Chibok Girls and the Immigration 19, I chose between two evils. I still do not have any regrets that I voted change. I voted, not for APC’s brand of change but the brand that says I will not celebrate mediocrity. I/we voted to make a statement; “a government that does not live up to a minimum standard will be Changed”. That, my friends, is what I voted for and I am glad I got it. Most importantly, we are the change we seek.

So far, the actions and pace of this government have been less than impressive but I recognize the enormity of the task on ground. Even though we have not had “light” for close to a week and my laptop battery is now at 13%, I’m prepared to give them more time. And if they fail, I shall be waiting with my own broom to sweep them out in 2019.

By the way, did anyone notice how the queues in Lagos disappeared overnight. It piques one’s curiosity. Now we know what sabotage truly means.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 4:20pm On May 13, 2016
focus7:
ladyexellency.... Please quit defending Jonathan with all the revelation of massive corruption linking up to him and his clueless administration.

His achievements are there to defend him.

He increased our political awareness and deepened democracy.

The indisputable stats remains that Jonathan reduced poverty by 50%, increased middle class by 30% and was instrumental to making Nigeria the highest economy in Africa and 23rd in the world.

Let's give it to him while we criticize his bad sides notwithstanding the misgivings we reposed on his government.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 4:23pm On May 13, 2016
Onyiridike:

In summary, you hate GEJ whether he does good or bad.

Your type would prefer begging on the street to being governed by a visionary man from another tribe and religion.

I hate to live in the same country with people like you.
Please tell me is looting the treasury of a country synonymous to visionary because he came from your tribe? If yes, I am afraid to live in same country with people like you. Unfortunately some of you has turned it to a tribal thing whereas this same Jonathan has sympathisers from all across the country.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by MizMyColi(f): 4:23pm On May 13, 2016
Modath Said and I quote

I'm somewhat sympathetic to their course cos of Buhari & the Yoruba factor......

grin grin grin grin grin

So you typed that article which could pass off as a vanguard editorial to counter something I claimed you acceded to even when what you emboldened has put paid to my claim that tribe surely influenced your decision to stand with Mr President and his Vice? grin grin grin

And then your tribally twisted mind keeps informing you that everyone who supported the two major candidates did so for some tribal reason like you openly admitted?

Oh well, You are wrong. Definitely not me.
And You are welcome to disprove that in any possible way you can imagine, inugosmiley

Well, I'm good at writing epistles...let's do this, shall we?wink
*‎
Do you remember a particular post you made where agabai23 made a surprise exclamation cos your hate was so glaring?

Or the thread that was opened to expose your highly bigoted self and you refused to comment because you would be chewing much more than you could swallow?

Unlike you Modath, I have a problem with jumping on every politics section thread and commenting these days.

Unlike you Modath, I have had time to sit down and really reflect on what really matters in my political journey.

Unlike you Modath, I now have a very big issue with making phrases such as "wailers will not like this" zombies will die on this thread today.

Unlike you Modath, I now have a big problem with stoning their thief (I see you renamed Saraki Sarathief) and protecting my own thiiefnubu thiefgrin

Unlike you I have a problem with singing the praises of those in government that I like even when they clearly go against the will of the masses.

While people like you enjoy playing personality and party politics, some of us are actually looking for ways in the real world to incorporate an otherwise strange version of politics as far as these climes are concerned. It's called Masses Centric Politics.

Whatever your Machiavellian and dead soldiers ramble was about is your business really. But doesn't this go to show you how cold hearted you have become because of your choice to remain stuck in personality and party politics? Be careful lest your humanity gets eroded before your very eyes. Dead, Apparently Dead Nigerian Soldiers lay before your eyes and all you could think of was a certain mizcoli who wanted to be mischievous?

I have refrained from posting more pictures because the government have done the right thing at least. They have finally built a resting place for them. My friend was among those who dug their graves. While this may never seem enough, it would be comforting to the families of those who will never see their loved ones again that if their bodies are ever found, there is a resting place for them in maidugri. 

My decision to leave Politics on Nairaland was for the common good.
My decision to comment on this thread was borne out of my being in touch with what it means to be a Nigerian in these times.
I could have continued with my viewing and sidelines mode, but I had to say something.

You made evocative statements which ordinarily I would be glad to call you out on, but then, we are what we are on here, and when you've been outside this system for long, you'll just realize that certain reactions here aren't worth it.‎

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by andyprez(m): 4:24pm On May 13, 2016
@OP. Since you are open to criticism, you are wrong and your proposed facts are baised. The same reason Jonathan gave as regards to the removal of the subsidy is the same Buhari is giving after fighting against it barely four years ago.

This is to make it clear that some people Will do anything to disrupt the way of living in this country for their selfish gains.

It irritates me the more that you guys would try to defend this action rather than bury your heads in shame.

BTW, Jonathan's proposed price was N145 when we were selling crude for over a $100/barrel. So what happens if the price changes again (of course we all know it will)?
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 4:30pm On May 13, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
ur admittance of the fact that Dasuki was imposed on GEJ further confirms the fact that he (GEJ) was not incharge! So on what basis did he want to remain in power? For ur info the buck stops at the desk of the President!

Jonathan wasn't an Angel, far from that. He had his shortcomings and good sides.

By my assessment, I scored his government 52% and never excellent.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Onyiridike(f): 4:34pm On May 13, 2016
focus7:
Please tell me is looting the treasury of a country synonymous to visionary because he came from your tribe? If yes, I am afraid to live in same country with people like you. Unfortunately some of you has turned it to a tribal thing whereas this same Jonathan has sympathisers from all across the country.

And you have been brainwashed to believe that Buhari is a saint and yet your brain is not clean enough to understand that he is a tribal bigot and also corrupt.

If GEJ looted public fund, your Almighty Buhari should arrest him, collect the money and jail him.

Until he does this, STOP feeding people with bullshit.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DropShot: 4:37pm On May 13, 2016
Onyiridike:

In summary, you hate GEJ whether he does good or bad.

Your type would prefer begging on the street to being governed by a visionary man from another tribe and religion.

I hate to live in the same country with people like you.
You're not reasoning. I have stated reasons why I will not support GEJ if the situation occurs again. He is corrupt. Simple as ABC.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by NOETHNICITY(m): 4:38pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Jonathan wasn't an Angel, far from that. He had his shortcomings and good sides.

By my assessment, I scored his government 52% and never excellent.
GEJ met our reserve at $47b. His govt enjoyed an unprecedented reign of sky high oil price. However reserves still plummeted! Yet u give him 52%!
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DealZ(m): 4:43pm On May 13, 2016
Bleep fuel subsidy...I no been know wetin fuel subsidy be but as dem don give me gist about am I say Bleep it, how we go de boro money de put ontop fuel say na subsidy and wen we pay back d money na with stupid interest rates so who d loan help...other petroleum products like diesel way no get subsidy far no be still 150+ we de buy for a litre? Why dem no hala...if na fuel de fall ur hand guy go buy diesel car n diesel gen since its ok to buy diesel 150+ n not petrol
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by focus7: 4:49pm On May 13, 2016
Onyiridike:

And you have been brainwashed to believe that Buhari is a saint and yet your brain is not clean enough to understand that he is a tribal bigot and also corrupt.

If GEJ looted public fund, your Almighty Buhari should arrest him, collect the money and jail him.

Until he does this, STOP feeding people with bullshit.
Sure, Jonathan will definitely end up in jail, investigation is going on about him that's why see him running around the globe begging for sympathy.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 4:59pm On May 13, 2016
NOETHNICITY:
GEJ met our reserve at $47b. His govt enjoyed an unprecedented reign of sky high oil price. However reserves still plummeted! Yet u give him 52%!

Do you know what we call reserve, the importance and value? It is only a foolish Father that dies of hunger to keep inheritance for the living.

Any Economy undergoing transformation uses its reserves. There was more than 18 months of low crude price under Jonathan hence your assertion is incorrect.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by modath(f): 5:10pm On May 13, 2016
MizMyColi:
Mo Said and I quote
journey.gerian‎[/font]

I've as usual excised the inanities cos it's just plain tiring..... I'm going to leave you 3 takeaways then you can get in your Epistle and have the final word since it's something you crave..... After this I'm not going to say nothing more on this.....

1. The part about 90% of APC can catch fire passed by your hypocritical and bias leanings and Buhari's CPC didn't have any Yoruba colouration even if his Vice then was PS. Bakare....

2. I hardly respond to trolls and foolishness, what purpose will it serve? Does it matter what people who don't care for one think about one's opinion? Nah, only insecure and simple minded people do...

So i was supposed to entertain a troll who came onto a thread and took an excerpt and made a non existent story about it like you just did, Na so una be..... It comes with the territory......

3. You need to get something that is not able to penetrate the wall you've erected between yourself and tolerance & fairness..., "You don't have a choice about how and what OTHER people decide to make of their political choices.. How is that difficult to grasp!!!!!

P.S.... For the avoidance of doubt, I am Pro Yoruba interest in all ways, everyday and will always toe any path that will serve yorubas well, if to you that is bigotry and hate, be my guest.. .... Clear enough?

The same way you don't get the Buhari love is same way some don't understand the Jona love!!

To think 2011,70-75% yoruba voted for this man & at the 2015 Referendum, they had a better option and switched, they must be slaves, hateful, wicked and evil!! Na by force??!! Na wah oo..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by jaybim: 5:14pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Do you know what we call reserve, the importance and value? It is only a foolish Father that dies of hunger to keep inheritance for the living.

Any Economy undergoing transformation uses its reserves. There was more than 18 months of low crude price under Jonathan hence your assertion is incorrect.

An economy undergoing transformation does not use its reserves. That's why it is called a reserve. During the oil boom, Gowon "built" lagos, developed infrastructure across the country and he saved. That's what GEJ should have done but he did the opposite. GEJ like Shagari may not have been corrupt, but he did nothing about the corruption around him, just like Shagari.

he should have fixed the refineries, he should have aggressively developed infrastructure and he should have saved. Because he did not in the days of plenty think of the coming days of lack, he went into the reserves obj left. Suppose OBJ didn't leave anything in the reserves GEJ would have been placed in PMB's exact predicament.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kaboninc(m): 5:15pm On May 13, 2016
[s]
DropShot:
Times are tough, no doubt. The situation we find ourselves as a nation is dire, no doubt. As the FG announced the new price regime for fuel pump price from 87 naira to 145 naira max, a lot of people including on this forum have criticized the action of the government and accusing it of insensitivity to the plight of the common man.

While this article is not deliberately focused on the past administration of GEJ and how it managed our resources, it’s nearly impossible to attempt to justify the current government’s action without needing to make reference to the oil boom period of 2011 to 2014. Had the immediate past administration judiciously utilized what we earned and what it inherited from OBJ/Yar’Adua, it’s very unlikely that we will find ourselves in this messy situation.

While I don’t oppose a government providing palliatives to its citizens to cushion effects of high cost of essential commodities, it makes no economic sense to do that if there are no resources to do it. Nigeria with a paltry $27 billion dollars in foreign reserves (GEJ met it at $47 billion, earned more than any president in Nigeria’s history, yet depleted it to abysmal level), $2 billion in Excess Crude Account, lacks the resources to subsidize fuel.

In the same way, it will be disastrous to support a corrupt regime to remove subsidy from essential commodities while the president watches helplessly as his foot soldiers defraud the citizens and enrich themselves corruptly. Numerous corruption cases ongoing is a reminder of how GEJ allowed the Dasukis, Bafarawas, Akpobolokemis, Mettuhs, Diezannis, Inde Dikos and many others steal us blind.

Brief History of Fuel Subsidy
Beginning from when OBJ re-introduced fuel subsidy in 2006 as a palliative for high landing cost of imported refined fuel, Nigeria has spent more than N6 trillion to subsidize fuel since then
*2006 – N151.9 billion; *2007- N188 billion; *2008 – N256.3billion (January to July); *2009 – N421.5billion; *2010 – N673 billion; *2011 – (N1.3 trillion)revised to N2.19 trillion; *2012 – N888 billion + N161.6 billion supplementary *2013 – N971 billion; and, *2014 – N971.1 billion
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/why-fuel-subsidy-must-go-2/
The amount spent on subsidy in 2015 was in excess of N1 trillion
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/nigeria-spends-n1tr-on-fuel-subsidy-in-2015-kachikwu/124416.html

Why Fuel Subsidy Is Not Sustainable Now
It’s not a hidden fact that our earnings from crude sale has nose-dived; more than halved from what it used to be. The average crude price per barrel now is below 30$ since beginning of this year. When compared to an average of $90 to $100 for the four years of 2011 to 2014, no one need a rocket scientist to understand the money to subsidize the product is no longer there.

Throughout the world, all countries that have their economy largely dependent on crude oil have experienced economic set-back and most of them have taken drastic actions to cut back on their expenses on subsidy. Saudi Arabia, at the beginning of crude price fall had more than $600 billion in foreign reserves, yet she increased fuel pump price by 50% http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/05/news/economy/saudi-arabia-oil-budget-gas/.

Qatar increased fuel price by about 35% and still planning to increase it further, UAE and many other Gulf countries refine their own crude locally, can afford to keep subsidy, yet have all removed some subsidy from petroleum products. The only places where fuel prices have gone down since crude price crash are the economies that were not enjoying any form of subsidy when crude price was high.

Going by this summation, it amounts to irrationality, lack of having any grasp about happenings in the world economy, or pure and deliberate emotional blackmail to expect Nigeria to be able to keep subsidizing fuel especially with her current economic recession.

Why Nigerians Were Right to Oppose GEJ’s Subsidy Removal in 2012
I, among many other Nigerians were opposed to GEJ’s plan to remove subsidy from petrol in 2012 and here are some of the reasons:
1. GEJ by then had already proved to be shamelessly corrupt and lacking the political will to stem the tide. So, we were right to believe that the subsidy to be removed will still end up being looted one way or the other. Events since after the partial removal have proved us right as not a single measure of the promised palliatives was fulfilled. No mass transit buses. No new refineries as promised. No new roads built as promised.

2. Nigeria was earning excess from crude oil as at then. As such, we should be able to enjoy some part of the excess profits through subsidy. If ministers, Special Advisers and other top government officials were stealing us blind and we saw them, why should we not have a right to some subsidy which was paid for by the excess earnings from our crude?

The Way Forward
For Nigeria to get out of the fuel crisis quagmire, there are certain things we should be doing but are failing to do:

1. Diversify the economy: In the past, lip service was paid to economic diversification. To be sincere, we have missed our best opportunity to diversify our economy with little or no pain. The second best opportunity is NOW which unfortunately comes with pains and sacrifice. We cannot expect the government of PMB to diversify the economy and not plough resources from subsidy towards the diversification; especially when we are earning far less than we require now.

2. Build more refineries: Without having the capacity to refine our local petrol demand in the next two to three years, fuel price will go up further and we will be back to square one when crude price goes up astronomically again. It’s good to hear that the FG in partnership with some businesses is planning to have new refineries on board within three years from now. I hope it comes to fruition.

So, should we find ourselves in the same position as 2012, with a president who acts like GEJ, I am certain Nigerians will resist any attempt to remove the fuel subsidy. But given the current economic situation and the type of president we now have, it will be unpatriotic not to support him. Even his worst detractors know in their deep heart that this president is not an IB and not a corruption personified.

Constructive criticism is welcome. Empty brains should stay away!
[/s]

Its a shame you are a human.

Its a shame you even call yourself a Nigerian.

And it is a shame you will eat your vomit at the right time.

For your information, Nigerians in Nigeria are not exactly angry with the government's decision to remove the subsidy. But we are dazed, shocked and feel violated for the government's hypocrisy, two faced mouth, insincerity on this issue.

How much are you being paid? I blame the ignorant folks who still listen to cowards like you who do not live in the country. Yet claim to know more than those who struggle everyday to put food on the tables and ensure survival.

You are a disgrace!
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kaboninc(m): 5:20pm On May 13, 2016
[s]
jaybim:

An economy undergoing transformation does not use its reserves. That's why it is called a reserve. During the oil boom, Gowon "built" lagos, developed infrastructure across the country and he saved. That's what GEJ should have done but he did the opposite. GEJ like Shagari may not have been corrupt, but he did nothing about the corruption around him, just like Shagari.

he should have fixed the refineries, he should have aggressively developed infrastructure and he should have saved. Because he did not in the days of plenty think of the coming days of lack, he went into the reserves obj left. Suppose OBJ didn't leave anything in the reserves GEJ would have been placed in PMB's exact predicament.
[/s]

Shut Up!!

Stop spreading lies and half-truths. Stop deceiving people with your ill informed words.

A reserve is like a savings. And even institutions with the best assets and those undergoing transformation save because life is not static.

Do you know the definition of 'reserves' in the Nigerian context? Are you aware that the funds actually belong to the Federation? Are you also aware that the reserves were used to offset subsidy liabilities which the current government fiercely resisted its removal?

I wonder how one can see black, know it is black, bear witness from others that it is black but just refuses to accept that it is black.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by mfm04622: 5:23pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

Stop doing Nairaland.

Go and read your books.

Stop insulting your elders and betters! I doubt you have half the books in my library. Talk less of reading half the books I have read.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by LadyExcellency: 5:25pm On May 13, 2016
jaybim:

We are not talking about elementary economics here. The reserve was used appropriately in the course of normal transactions required for the development of the Nigerian economy.

We saw the results and the international communities agree to it. Nigeria is now the largest Economy in Africa and 24th in the world.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kaboninc(m): 5:28pm On May 13, 2016
plaetton:

This is what I call cooking a good soup and then covering it with dirty cloth.

There are good sound arguments for the removal of any SUBSIDY of any sort.

Those arguments were valid during the Abacha era, valid during the OBJ era, valid during the GEJ era, and still valid today.

It is really that simple.

Now, dragging GEJ into every wishy washy policy reversals and rigmaroles betrays the shallowness ,insecurity and cognitive dissonance that are the hallmarks of this government and its praise singers.

Saying that subsidy removal is well warranted now, but wasn't during the GEJ era, and then using very silly illogical arguments about excess crude oil, higher oil price, etc, go buttress such convoluted logic betrays the extremes of hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance.

If you understand the simple logic of fuel SUBSIDY, then your argument is laughable, at best.

Let me enlighten you.

You see sir, the higher the price of crude oil, the higher the price refined petroleum, and hence, the higher the SUBSIDY the government pays to make petrol available.

Therefore, by simple arithmetic, it was much more imperative to remove SUBSIDY or increase the pump price during GEJ era than it is now that the price of crude oil is 70% less than what it was during the said GEJ time.

As of last month, several media in Nigeria repeatedly reported that the government was making a PROFIT of about N8-N10 per litre of petrol sold in Nigeria.

SUBSIDY, by simple arithmetic, had disappeared and even turned positive over the past year.

So, sir, your argument is totally debunked.
You know that, hence the compulsive recourse, the addiction to invoke GEJ to justify wishy washy ad-hoc policies of this government.

The government desperately needs money.
Period.

Nigerians who are going to be negatively affected by this 68% jump in pump prices have As much right to protest and vent their anger NOW as they did in 2012.
Period.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a liar and a big hypocrite.

Thank you!

The government just needs money!

But bringing in GEJ?

Its just a shame and one who detest insincerity will feel a deep rage for this government.

And that charlatan DropShot felt he has a point? He's a disgrace to COMMON SENSE.

1 Like

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kaboninc(m): 5:29pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

We are not talking about elementary economics here. The reserve was used appropriately in the course of normal transactions required for the development of the Nigerian economy.

We saw the results and the international communities agree to it. Nigeria is now the largest Economy in Africa and 24th in the world.

Is it not the same reserve from which payment for subsidies were paid?

You just have to stop reasoning with these individuals.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Eluwilussit(m): 5:44pm On May 13, 2016
Almajiri1:
Speaking about TRUST based issue,We need to go a little back and capture the spirit of the times pre election and critically examine and understand the relationship/disconnect between buhari words and actions.

Using buhari Eldorado Champaign campaign promises to judge current realities,You would appreciate that Buhari should be in jail for murdering trust! Buhari is a closet rogue like every other politician. That sainthood and trust only flies with zombies.

So true grin
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DesChyko: 5:44pm On May 13, 2016
ofesko121:

i once remember my dad being rich den, we had a generator which was ageing very fast and keeping shouting dad change this gen with a new one and he refuse. but a faithful day this generator broke down totally and by then dad income has drastically reduce , almost all his savings has be spent on servicing this gen . so mum took dad by the bulls and bought a new generator. now would i say mum is stupid or insensitive seeing the savings is getting down and income is no longer stable?

Generator is a luxury. There are other things that demand more attention like food expenses, house rent, utility bills, projects, e.t.c. These must be satisfied first to avoid being strung up. Therefore, for the generator to be bought at that critical time, it must play a critical role that would help stabilize the income flow.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DropShot: 5:47pm On May 13, 2016
[s]
kaboninc:

Its a shame you are a human.

Its a shame you even call yourself a Nigerian.

And it is a shame you will eat your vomit at the right time.

For your information, Nigerians in Nigeria are not exactly angry with the government's decision to remove the subsidy. But we are dazed, shocked and feel violated for the government's hypocrisy, two faced mouth, insincerity on this issue.

How much are you being paid? I blame the ignorant folks who still listen to cowards like you who do not live in the country. Yet claim to know more than those who struggle everyday to put food on the tables and ensure survival.

You are a disgrace!
[/s]
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by DesChyko: 5:49pm On May 13, 2016
jaybee:

The so-called Jonathan knew he was very wrong that is why he reversed the subsidy...

Barely a year into the new government and you're forgetting the definition of democracy?

In as much as I supported the removal, for him to still sit on the decision will be criminal when it is a controversial issue for which at that moment, the masses chose the alternative. Watching the economy grind to a halt and doing nothing tangible about it reminds me of a Nigerian leader. And that is not Jonathan.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by jaybim: 5:52pm On May 13, 2016
LadyEx... the reserves were used to maintain the supply of fx in circulation following the shortfall occasioned by the drop in oil prices. with the drop in oil prices, the nigerian economy would have experienced a shortage of FX since oil is our only major export and FX earner.ECO 101 the lower the supply, the higher the demand and by extension, the higher the price (What obtains today).

However, where the government of GEJ got it wrong was its failure to address our refineries and infrastructure deficit in the boom days and save. NOI said it, there was no political will to save. instead they spent more on recurrent expenditure and at a point borrowed to pay salaries. WHO DOES THAT?? do you understand it now?

so right now prices have remained low viz FX earnings, and the infrastructure deficit remains. how do you address that? cut down your recurrent expenditure such as subsidy. they still need to cut down on government spending though, but that's a story for another day.

that's where the FR went, so you know. and let's keep our conversations civil here. all the insults should be directed to those in charge of our common wealth...we can't all share the same views.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by modath(f): 6:05pm On May 13, 2016

2 Likes

Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by kaboninc(m): 6:26pm On May 13, 2016
modath:

Bros you are wrong, subsidy payment is part of appropriation..... it is budgetted for....

Tampering with the reserves was nothing but economic sabotage & mismanagement... Touching the ECA too was illegal..

http://m.thenigerianvoice.com/news/98646/jonathan-submits-2013-budget-retains-fuel-subsidy.html

http://www.thescoopng.com/amend-this-president-jonathan-re-sends-2013-budget-and-sure-p-budget-to-nass/

http://allafrica.com/stories/201505010396.html

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/11/fg-cut-petrol-subsidy-half-2015/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/11/subsidy-gets-88-per-cent-of-n465bn-supplementary-budget/

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/111024-national-assembly-approves-jonathans-n161-6bn-supplementary-budget.html

No am not wrong!

Its you and whoever liked your post are wrong!

Subsidy is appropriated. That every right thinking individual (except DropShot) knows that. However, like every obligations, budgeted expenses can sometimes exceed actual expenditures. So how do you offset these liabilities? In this case, how do you ensure that subsidies are paid to those who provided the goods/services?

This is where the reserves is being used for it.

So like I said, and still stand on it, the subsidies were paid from the reserves. That is why you have a reserve in the first place. The only problem was that you should not subsidize consumption but production. But people like you and DropShot were against the removal of subsidy in 2012.

Its a shame you know. Very disgraceful.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by agabaI23(m): 6:29pm On May 13, 2016
MizMyColi:
Modath Said and I quote

grin grin grin grin grin

So you typed that article which could pass off as a vanguard editorial to counter something I claimed you acceded to even when what you emboldened has put paid to my claim that tribe surely influenced your decision to stand with Mr President and his Vice? grin grin grin

And then your tribally twisted mind keeps informing you that everyone who supported the two major candidates did so for some tribal reason like you openly admitted?

Oh well, You are wrong. Definitely not me.
And You are welcome to disprove that in any possible way you can imagine, inugosmiley

Well, I'm good at writing epistles...let's do this, shall we?wink
*‎
Do you remember a particular post you made where agabai23 made a surprise exclamation cos your hate was so glaring?

Or the thread that was opened to expose your highly bigoted self and you refused to comment because you would be chewing much more than you could swallow?

Unlike you Modath, I have a problem with jumping on every politics section thread and commenting these days.

Unlike you Modath, I have had time to sit down and really reflect on what really matters in my political journey.

Unlike you Modath, I now have a very big issue with making phrases such as "wailers will not like this" zombies will die on this thread today.

Unlike you Modath, I now have a big problem with stoning their thief (I see you renamed Saraki Sarathief) and protecting my own thiiefnubu thiefgrin

Unlike you I have a problem with singing the praises of those in government that I like even when they clearly go against the will of the masses.

While people like you enjoy playing personality and party politics, some of us are actually looking for ways in the real world to incorporate an otherwise strange version of politics as far as these climes are concerned. It's called Masses Centric Politics.

Whatever your Machiavellian and dead soldiers ramble was about is your business really. But doesn't this go to show you how cold hearted you have become because of your choice to remain stuck in personality and party politics? Be careful lest your humanity gets eroded before your very eyes. Dead, Apparently Dead Nigerian Soldiers lay before your eyes and all you could think of was a certain mizcoli who wanted to be mischievous?

I have refrained from posting more pictures because the government have done the right thing at least. They have finally built a resting place for them. My friend was among those who dug their graves. While this may never seem enough, it would be comforting to the families of those who will never see their loved ones again that if their bodies are ever found, there is a resting place for them in maidugri. 

My decision to leave Politics on Nairaland was for the common good.
My decision to comment on this thread was borne out of my being in touch with what it means to be a Nigerian in these times.
I could have continued with my viewing and sidelines mode, but I had to say something.

You made evocative statements which ordinarily I would be glad to call you out on, but then, we are what we are on here, and when you've been outside this system for long, you'll just realize that certain reactions here aren't worth it.‎
When I gave up was the day my own Paddy paddy mody kinda called me a name I do not answer.

Don't take it personal though. It is a free world.

Don't forget that for some people it is wrong to talk while eating. It is a simple table etiquette...
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Akiika: 6:44pm On May 13, 2016
Your post is succinct and so on point.
But, "empty brain stay away" on Nairaland? that is asking for too much! undecided Plenty of them full here.
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by Rose2014: 6:47pm On May 13, 2016
gaffig:

It's so unfortunate that I don't know your gender, but I'll try to be careful. Firstly, your view is not clear, are you agitating for bringing in New government or are you saying the last is better? On the N45 promise don't worry, may God keep you alive till then, I have more to explain but you might not comprehend
Ok
Re: FG Is Right On Fuel Subsidy Removal by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:57pm On May 13, 2016
LadyExcellency:

18 months of low crude price? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm! How surprising?Are u in any referring to the later period of his tenure? Does this assertion of urs correspond with any existing contemporary opinion? If GEJ could sooooo mismanage our finances when oil price was so high and further plunder our foreign reserves yet u move to defend him and give him 52%, u re devoid of the moral right to criticise PMB!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Court Freezes Stella Oduah’s Accounts Over $16m Debt / Atiku Has Been Plotting Buhari’s Failure Since 2014 – Mohammed Lawal / President Buhari Visits Kano State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.