Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,723 members, 7,813,387 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:40 AM

Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? (7493 Views)

See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia / Please Stay Off Tokunbo Tyres At All Cost! I Drove 130mph Or 209km/h... / How To Avoid Tire Blow-out By Pumping Right Pressure Into Your Tire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by Kashif(m): 10:05am On May 13, 2016
I was conducting a little research on air compressors last evening, and something came to my mind.

The vulcanizers we find around us have the air compressors feeding the tyres directly, without any filter or storage tank. These help get rid of water which is a byproduct of compressed air. I remember stopping to buy something close to a vulcanizer one humid morning, and noticed that the hose end left on the road had considerable moisture coming out. Enough to get the asphalt where it was resting wet.

Now I am thinking, could there be a risk inflating our tyres off those sources, and getting water in? Could the quantity of water be enough to considerably increasing the pressure in the tyres on a hot day, especially if over-inflated? I am not an expert, but I know that steam under pressure is a high risk.

As a way of mitigation, would inflating our tyres only on a sunny day help?

Can fellows with a better understanding throw more light? This is just me thinking aloud.

1 Like

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by Akinz0126(m): 7:00am On May 15, 2016
Ama kind of dumbfounded in this thread!The person behind me has somtyn positive to contribute.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by ibkgab001: 7:01am On May 15, 2016
Road safety - tyre

Marketers - tyre

Student research - tyre

Nairaland - tyre section now

Church / Mosque - tyre preachings

I'm so tired of tyre threads

7 Likes

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by jidxin(m): 7:02am On May 15, 2016
go to church
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by Orjioorji(f): 7:04am On May 15, 2016
very good observation,you have brought my mind on something I never thought of. and I have to be careful next time thank you @ op.

1 Like

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by nonstan(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2016
There has not really been an issue..moreso FRSC has not yet pointed that out as a probable cause of tyre burst...let me hear what Engineers have to say...
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by kindy51(m): 7:04am On May 15, 2016
Am coming make I buy akara ist grin
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by lakad4u(m): 7:05am On May 15, 2016
I will coment when am done with solat....chill

1 Like

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by superfelix: 7:07am On May 15, 2016
Mak I stay here first!

1 Like

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by symbianDON(m): 7:10am On May 15, 2016
I doubt there will be any significant negative effects: what you are going to have in your tyre in such a scenario is a little quantity of misty water which, inside your tyre, can't get hot enough to create enough pressure as to be categorized as hazardous considering that your tyre will need to create a temperature high enough for pressurized steam for it to be hazardous.

1 Like

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by zolonzo85(m): 7:11am On May 15, 2016
It depends on the nature of the tyre .....definitely it has a considerable effect
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by 0gbeni(m): 7:13am On May 15, 2016
interesting.. gurus pls come and educate us
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by fr3do(m): 7:16am On May 15, 2016
tyr s can handl ntir w ight of cars, th vapour pr ssur of st am shouldn't b a probl m.
Fl x!

My k yboard is bad.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by balash(m): 7:19am On May 15, 2016
Regardless of the fact that we believe some vulcanizers are hungry and needs to get food on their table, we should try either get this electronic device meant to pump air into tyres ourselves and be guided. This guy's are not interested in the aftermath of your journey except their 100 naira.

Life no get duplicate mhen

6 Likes

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by gift01: 7:28am On May 15, 2016
Very confusing thread. Hit Like if you have no idea what the OP is talking about (just joking)

2 Likes

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by Nobody: 7:33am On May 15, 2016
OP

You have a great research topic here. Refer to Boyles law and Charles law and the effects of steam on rubber.
With most of these vulvanisers using disused a/c compressors, and moisture being pumped into the tires, if the tires heat up, the gas inside as well as the moisture will heat up. Water when heated turns to steam and steam is highly explosive.

Add that to he increased pressure of the air and a blow out is imminent.

Do a research and release your study findings.

Cheers!
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by alatbaba1(m): 7:36am On May 15, 2016
Make I buy this plot of land first.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by adanny01(m): 7:38am On May 15, 2016
Kashif:
I was conducting a little research on air compressors last evening, and something came to my mind.

The vulcanizers we find around us have the air compressors feeding the tyres directly, without any filter or storage tank. These help get rid of water which is a byproduct of compressed air. I remember stopping to buy something close to a vulcanizer one humid morning, and noticed that the hose end left on the road had considerable moisture coming out. Enough to get the asphalt where it was resting wet.

Now I am thinking, could there be a risk inflating our tyres off those sources, and getting water in? Could the quantity of water be enough to considerably increasing the pressure in the tyres on a hot day, especially if over-inflated? I am not an expert, but I know that steam under pressure is a high risk.

Can fellows with a better understanding throw more light? This is just me thinking aloud.

Unfortunately, manufacturers recommend guaging tire when cold, preferably in the morning. Pressure of a gas such as air increases with temperature. If your car has a recommendation of 35psi cold and you guage your pressure in the hot afternoon, the cold pressure could be lower say 30 or 32psi which is below recommended.

If you guage pressure in the morning and put 40psi like they usually do, the pressure will be above 40psi say 45psi when the day gets hot and you drive on the hot pavement. This will be dangerous as most tires have a maximum inflation pressure which is mostly 40psi. So you see, the tire is over inflated and the risk of blow out is very high.

Lastly, i know that pressure has a relationship with temperature but with moisture, i doubt. Even if there is, it will be less significant as temperature. The relationship between pressure and temperature is the principle behind the pressure cooker. Even a pressure cooker has a pressure control valve which without, the cooker is a bomb waiting to explode under high temperature.

For those who drink beer know that a hot beer when opened pops and hiss but a very cold beer will not even hiss when open. Thats because the chilled beer has reduced the pressure inside the bottle while the hot beer increases the pressure. All this happens because bottles are sealed with carbon dioxide gas for preservation given the name carbonated drinks. This gas does expand with higher temperature.

3 Likes

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by anigbajumo(m): 7:40am On May 15, 2016
I doubt it if there will be any negative effect....I dnt think so.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by kelsidengkucio(m): 7:54am On May 15, 2016
As a meteorologist it means you should not pump your tyre in the morning, in the night or when there is a storm close by.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by laprince(m): 7:54am On May 15, 2016
there is minimal effect
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by bus1: 7:55am On May 15, 2016
All air contains some percentage of water. And in a closed system such as inside a tyre where the air is mainly for tyre inflation, water vapour has hardly any effect on pressure, BECAUSE WATER BOILS @ 100 DEGREES CELSIUS, and tyre temperatures do not come close to 100 degrees C.
And whether air pumped into a tyre is humid or dry, the air will still expand when driving anyway.
But the difference in expansion pressure bw humid air and dry air will be negligible when compared to the overall pressure of the tyre.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by anigbajumo(m): 7:58am On May 15, 2016
Kashif:

The little quantity of water in the tyre (moisture) wnt affect or increase the pressure during the hot time...There is no way u pump a tyre or using compressor to pump any device that u wnt see little drop of water which I think is not enough to reduce or increase the pressure of the tyre on asphalt.

Pls quote me back after yer research.I dnt fink is easy for u to know or determined the little water in type after it has been pumped to like 50 pal.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by anigbajumo(m): 8:14am On May 15, 2016
bus1:
All air contains some percentage of water. And in a closed system such as inside a tyre where the air is mainly for tyre inflation, water vapour has hardly any effect on pressure, BECAUSE WATER BOILS @ 100 DEGREES CELSIUS, and tyre temperatures do not come close to 100 degrees C.
And whether air pumped into a tyre is humid or dry, the air will still expand when driving anyway.
But the difference in expansion pressure bw humid air and dry air will be negligible when compared to the overall pressure of the tyre.

If the water will have any effect on the tyre,I think is not a must to reach 100 degree Celsius before it reduces or increases it pressure.I fink the volume need to be considered than the temperature of the water because the volume will determine the pressure of tyre on asphalt than temperature of water inside the tyre.

Pls I dnt get u here, educate me on how dry air can expand in a closed system.If other physical properties remain constant except increase in volume.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by igahdavid(m): 8:24am On May 15, 2016
http://www.gonitrotire.com/nitrogen-tire-inflation-blog/how-water-harms-your-tires/

Check the link above. It has information about the dangers of driving with water in your tyre
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by adanny01(m): 8:28am On May 15, 2016
anigbajumo:

If the water will have any effect on the tyre,I think is not a must to reach 100 degree Celsius before it reduces or increases it pressure.I fink the volume need to be considered than the temperature of the water because the volume will determine the pressure of tyre on asphalt than temperature of water inside the tyre.

Pls I dnt get u here, educate me on how dry air can expand in a closed system. If other physical properties remain constant except increase in volume.

In physics, Charle's law. Charle's law states that when the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the temperature and the volume will be directly related. I.E Volume is proportional to temperature. This means that if temperature increases, the volume of the gas will increase but when volume is kept constant the pressure increases.

Take an empty Nescafe can and seal with its lid then drop it in a fire. You will get a explosion and the lid will be sent flying. Thats to tell you even air expands with higher temperature.

Alternatively, borrow or buy a tire guage, check your tire pressure very early in the morning. Wait till the sun is high say 2pm, drive on the asphalt for 30mins. Stop and check your pressure. It will not be the same.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by mu2sa2: 8:38am On May 15, 2016
Every car owner should have a air compressor of his/ her own. With it, you pump the tyre yourself and the metre on it reads the guage accurately. Never rely on the roadside vulcanizers - even the guage- reading they give you may be dangerously wrong.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by stonemasonn: 8:44am On May 15, 2016
adanny01:

In physics, Charle's and Boyle's law, its a fact that pressure increases with increase in temperature. Charle's law states that when the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the temperature and the volume will be directly related. I.E Volume is proportional to temperature.

Take an empty Nescafe can and seal with its lid then drop it in a fire. You will get a explosion and the lid will be sent flying. Thats to tell you even air expands with higher temperature.

Alternatively, borrow or buy a tire guage, check your tire pressure very early in the morning. Wait till the sun is high say 2pm, drive on the asphalt for 30mins. Stop and check your pressure. It will not be the same.
So it is not wise to pump the tires in the morning.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by adanny01(m): 8:52am On May 15, 2016
stonemasonn:
So it is not wise to pump the tires in the morning.

From the picture below of the sticker in the drivers door way, notice it says COLD TIRE PRESSURE.

That means it is better to guage the correct pressure in the morning.

Infact it means, avoid guaging your tires in the afternoon.

However, you could do an experiment by guaging tire in the morning, check the pressure change in the hot afternoon. You can use the afternoon pressure to guage your tires anytime you need to guage in the afternoon.

Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by anigbajumo(m): 8:57am On May 15, 2016
adanny01:

In physics, Charle's and Boyle's law, its a fact that pressure increases with increase in temperature. Charle's law states that when the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the temperature and the volume will be directly related. I.E Volume is proportional to temperature.

Lol,u av not answer my question.I hav also considered Boyle's law nd Charle's law that is why I specified " Except increase in volume ".

The only factor that can increases on decreases the pressure in a closed system here (dry water in tyre) is volume.

"Alternatively, borrow or buy a tire guage, check your tire pressure very early in the morning. Wait till the sun is high say 2pm, drive on the asphalt for 30mins. Stop and check your pressure. It will not be the same."

Pls check my question again sir,this can only happened as a result of other factors outside the system (surroundings) not inside the system. I hope you understand the question now.

My bt3 is low,I will reply yer mention back after I gat fuel.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by adanny01(m): 9:49am On May 15, 2016
anigbajumo:

The only factor that can increases on decreases the pressure in a closed system here (dry water in tyre) is volume.

Where is temperature? Both Charles and Boyle's law relates to temperature. Why did you keep it aside?

Anyways, sorry that i didnt mention all the laws and the particular one relating to this matter. There are actually 3 gas laws with respect to pressure, volume and temperature. I mentioned the first 2 but forgot the name of the last. I just remembered it.

Its Gay-Lussac's law which states that when a volume of a gas is kept constant pressure is directly proportional temperature.

Note that a tire only changes in shape but not in volume. Any tire that changes in volume will not carry the weight of the car.

Pressure cooker, constant volume, increase in temperature gives rise to increase in pressure.

The Nescafe can example volume is kept constant to a limit, as temperature increases pressure in the can increases till the cover (volume) can no longer hold the pressure.
Re: Pumping Our Tyres At The Roadside During High Humidity; Any Risks? by ogawisdom(m): 9:52am On May 15, 2016
adanny01:

In physics, Charle's law. Charle's law states that when the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the temperature and the volume will be directly related. I.E Volume is proportional to temperature. This means that if temperature increases, the volume of the gas will increase but when volume is kept constant the pressure increases.

In other words pumping tyres are best done in d afternoon or it doesn't Matter

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo: Hyundai Sonata 2015 Vs Honda Accord 2015 / Cost Of Acquiring Abuja License Plate / Plz Help Me On Transmission Issue (updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.