Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (214) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (680602 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sputos(m): 4:54am On Jul 03, 2016
Walspring:

Is not that at all because before the fallout of CBN's restrictions on our account its not allowed even since student have been paying for Sevis fee

Our leaders in CBN and banks can turn the levels to money laundering and business the same way they are doing to exchange rate now

I don't think this is true cos I asked my brother in the UK to help with SEVIS payment . He was told in Western Union office that such payment can not be made there
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by angel34real(f): 4:55am On Jul 03, 2016
nellyalph:

*sad*
Going to Houston around August too. It would have been nice to have a travel partner

Hello!!! Pls, can i pm you?

Thanks in anticipation........
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by shinym(m): 4:56am On Jul 03, 2016
Walspring:

I believe the school will have reasons why they waived those tests for you and offered you admission so you need to ask them but I strongly advice you to write one or two of the test so that it can boost your chances and also portray you as a serious and genuine student during visa interview.

Thanks a lot bro Walspring, and ahahnow. The school is accredited and they don't require any of those tests, that was why I even applied. I'll just go with a UK offer I already have, since I can't take any of the tests now and still meet up with this year's sept intake. I'll start looking out for researoch opportunities in the US now, so I can continue with a PhD program after my masters in the UK.

@OJCITY22: No be lie you talk ooo...I don hear baba Walspring wella! Thanks bro, wishing you all the best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:01am On Jul 03, 2016
sputos:

I don't think this is true cos I asked my brother in the UK to help with SEVIS payment . He was told in Western Union office that such payment can not be made there

The person at the Western union no know him work be that ..... i paid 2 people Sevis in london this may and then in june . All i did was take the print out from the system and took it to western union on the high street. D attending guy told me what d pound equivalent was and we were done in less than 5 mins in both cases. Less than 24hours later payment was reflected.maybe ur brother didnt go with the printout so d WU guy didnt know what he wanted

The western union guy in one case immediately knew what i was talking abt which made me feel others have done it as well. If i remember in the other, d man at first didnt know what i wanted but checked his system and saw what i needed done. If in doubt ask ur brother to go back there and tell the attending person to ask a colleague or the manager. It done easily in any western union in uk, that i am very sure of because i went to 2 separate WU money shop .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by shinym(m): 5:21am On Jul 03, 2016
LagosismyHome:

U Welcome this is DareFadi btw. No longer using former

Please stay away from Coventry Uni except if u were given scholarships .... u won't gain anything back from the system and they will kick u out once done. No post study visa for now (well it might change now Uk leaving the EU to PBS ). But what changes nobody knows yet until 2yrs from now......

it would be better finding that masters in a usa school that has a phd program as well. At least after ur masters u are already in d system and can look around the department for prof with grants to give u GA. Maybe u can even finda GA or instate tuition after 1st semester if u r grades are good . Also the post study visa u get after ur program in d usa will give you enough time to find a job and hopefully a h1b visa sponsor.

Oh ok LagosismyHome wink I just got a £3K off my tuition though. I'm hoping to resume this sept.
Can I send you a pm pls? Thanks once again!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by angel34real(f): 5:23am On Jul 03, 2016
malory84:

Yes o . But my POE will be Houston. Will be connecting to dallas. Lufhtansa flight. Thinking of going around mid August. What about you?

Hello. You have got a personal Message. Kindly respond at your earliest convenience.

Regards.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:29am On Jul 03, 2016
shinym:

Oh ok LagosismyHome wink I just got a £3K off my tuition though. I'm hoping to resume this sept.
Can I send you a pm pls? Thanks once again!

Dont mind all these UK people ...because enrollment is down as most international students are no longer coming due to lack of post study visa and their home students have reduced because tuition went up from 3k to 9k ... Lots of schools are giving almost everyone 3k off or some form of discount to attract people to still come

Trust me if you attend, u will see that lots of international student was given 3k off or something depending on the school . Especially if u can pay the fees before a certain deadline .... cool . Sure send me a pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by malory84: 5:33am On Jul 03, 2016
angel34real:

Hello. You have got a personal Message. Kindly respond at your earliest convenience.

Regards.

Just responded.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Rheenah: 6:17am On Jul 03, 2016
texrem:
Happy new month Buddies!!!

So many Visa success stories dis month IJN..

WE currently ve two nairalanders at the embassy now for their Visa.
I pray they come n share their success testimony IJN.
And for those still going in this month, success is urs IJN.
Amennn
Goodmorning!!! wink wink wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by angel34real(f): 6:18am On Jul 03, 2016
[quote author=malory84 post=47153380][/quote]

Thanks for the Swift response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 6:25am On Jul 03, 2016
shinym:

Thanks a lot bro Walspring, and ahahnow. The school is accredited and they don't require any of those tests, that was why I even applied. I'll just go with a UK offer I already have, since I can't take any of the tests now and still meet up with this year's sept intake. I'll start looking out for researoch opportunities in the US now, so I can continue with a PhD program after my masters in the UK.

@OJCITY22: No be lie you talk ooo...I don hear baba Walspring wella! Thanks bro, wishing you all the best!

Confirm!......Amen and you too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 7:39am On Jul 03, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Please stay away from Coventry Uni except if u were given scholarship.... u won't gain anything back from the system and they will kick u out once done. No post study visa for now (well it might change now Uk leaving the EU to PBS ). But what changes nobody knows yet until 2yrs from now......

it would be better finding that masters in a usa school that has a phd program as well. At least after ur masters u are already in d system and can look around the department for prof with grants to give u GA . Maybe u can even finda GA or instate tuition after 1st semester if u r grades are good . Also the post study visa u get after ur program in d usa will give you enough time to find a job and hopefully a h1b visa sponsor.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 7:42am On Jul 03, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Please stay away from Coventry Uni except if u were given scholarship.... u won't gain anything back from the system and they will kick u out once done. No post study visa for now (well it might change now Uk leaving the EU to PBS ). But what changes nobody knows yet until 2yrs from now......

it would be better finding that masters in a usa school that has a phd program as well. At least after ur masters u are already in d system and can look around the department for prof with grants to give u GA . Maybe u can even finda GA or instate tuition after 1st semester if u r grades are good . Also the post study visa u get after ur program in d usa will give you enough time to find a job and hopefully a h1b visa sponsor.
Discouraging him from going to Coventry is not the best. People have their different plans in life. Many have aswell come from the UK to the US. So if one doesn't have the opportunity to get to the US at the very point in time, and has an offer somewhere else nkor? Like he has said, he has plans of moving to the US after his masters in UK. I have a friend who had a distinction fro Coventry, now will you tell me d guy won't get funding if he applies to schools in US? Let's minimize all these discouragements. Everybody's destiny doesn't lie in the US. Change is constant and for that reason policies are bound to change. What if the post study policy is reversed during the course of his stay in the UK and what if post study is also reversed in the US?

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mekurexx: 8:43am On Jul 03, 2016
Firstly, you will need to evaluate your gpa to a 4.0 gpa, then you take GRE. The bulk of sch search rests on you. Make use of Grad cafe, petersons etc to have a large pool of schools to select from. Check Texas A&m college station, etsu, NYU(they offered someone $50000 MBA funding wink if you ace your GRE, package your application well, apply to a good no of schools and more importantly favor + direction from God, you'll get that funding
fmsuhgar:
Plsss house,i want to apply for admission for spring 2017 in Biochemistry, I really need help on cheap schools or maybe with funding (full or partial). I have the ff; Bsc =4.25/5.00, toefl= 82
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:57am On Jul 03, 2016
fizzile:

Change is constant and for that reason policies are bound to change. What if the post study policy is reversed during the course of his stay in the UK and what if post study is also reversed in the US?

I hear you but why work with what if .......what if that might or not happen. Hopefully +ve change comes but wont be until after 2018

Regarding Uk trust me before you start it would look like discouragement but u look back a year later and see that all the system did was take from you ....

your friend got distinction from UK great but did he gain anything back in the UK ? , no opportunity to compete for job in Uk , hardly any funding if he didn't get it from beginning so you say can now apply to the US , what i am saying that what should have been done from beginning and it would be easier overall blc he already in the system. Your statement would have been better if u tell me what he gained from Uk after that masters and not suggesting going to the US

At the end its just an advice. ... what anyone decide its up to you . Canada is another good option

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Chiznonso: 9:07am On Jul 03, 2016
Mekurexx:
Firstly, you will need to evaluate your gpa to a 4.0 gpa, then you take GRE. The bulk of sch search rests on you. Make use of Grad cafe, petersons etc to have a large pool of schools to select from. Check Texas A&m college station, etsu, NYU(they offered someone $50000 MBA funding wink if you ace your GRE, package your application well, apply to a good no of schools and more importantly favor + direction from God, you'll get that funding

Pls in evaluating by WES, will I have to send it directly to the school or jst upload my own copy to the school's portal
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by femoalaofin: 10:54am On Jul 03, 2016
qat:
Good Evening nairalanders! Great stuff going on here. First time poster here. Intermittent follower of the good stuff you guys contribute. I will be starting my doctorate degree at Purdue University, West Lafayette this fall in the materials engineering department, and I hope to share my experience as it was a rollercoaster, tempestuous ( any other adjectives?)journey all through. However, I suck at keeping abreast of discussions plus my phone strangely makes typing Cumbersome grrrr!!! But I have something I am working on that I hope will ease the newbies into the process of applying.

Thanks guys

awesome, can't wait. . pls what's d ranking of purdue university esp towards engineering, career prospects after graduation and any encouraging info u possess. thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by nellyalph: 11:44am On Jul 03, 2016
angel34real:

Hello!!! Pls, can i pm you?

Thanks in anticipation........

Sis I don't know how that works but you can
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Effemzy: 12:43pm On Jul 03, 2016
Planning to arrive 2 weeks before resumption hopefully. Send me an email femioladosui@gmail.com
SilentPistol:

Yup. When are you thinking of arriving at the school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by profx4real(m): 1:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
Sorbitalll:
Currently doing my MS in US, Chemistry major. I'm looking forward to apply for PhD to schools with good monthly stipend. Hopefully something in the range of 2k+. Can someone please suggest schools with much money. I'll worry about their rating and whether or not they offer my major.

Thank you.
Check out;
Auburn University, Alabama
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Colorado State University
University of Florida, Gainesville

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by PRYCE(m): 1:26pm On Jul 03, 2016
Hey people: is FAFSA available for international students?

Just got an Offer from Southeastern University in Lakeland, Florida to study Finance!

Cc: Walspring, Lagosismyhome, texrem
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:33pm On Jul 03, 2016
PRYCE:
Hey people: is FAFSA available for international students?

Just got an Offer from Southeastern University in Lakeland, Florida to study Finance!

Cc: Walspring, Lagosismyhome, texrem

No oo.... FAFSA is not intended to be used by schools for processing institutional aid applications submitted by international students. Only US citizens and eligible noncitizens may receive federal student financial aid. You dont even have a social security number so wont be able to apply if u tried

Check if they have GA opportunities in the Uni that where you can tap into for funding or check for external scholarships
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by PRYCE(m): 1:43pm On Jul 03, 2016
LagosismyHome:

No oo.... FAFSA is not intended to be used by schools for processing institutional aid applications submitted by international students. Only US citizens and eligible noncitizens may receive federal student financial aid. You dont even have a social security number so wont be able to apply if u tried

Check if they have GA opportunities in the Uni that where you can tap into for funding or check for external scholarships
Thanks for your reply!

Sorry; what's GA?

Yeah I'm checking now. Can you suggest external ones?

And I hope that school isn't red flagged by the state department... do you know anything about the school?

Sorry dear! Too many questions cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:55pm On Jul 03, 2016
PRYCE:
Thanks for your reply!

Sorry; what's GA?

Yeah I'm checking now. Can you suggest external ones?

And I hope that school isn't red flagged by the state department... do you know anything about the school?

Sorry dear! Too many questions cheesy

GA is Graduate assistance with usually comes with free tuition and a monthly stipend inexchange for your working in the school or department so really great if u get full GA. It is competitive to get .

Regarding d school i didnt check the ranking or anything like that. Dont know much about the school but there are lots of information on google. Also for external scholarship , it is time consuming to find but there are out there and u just need to put the work to find if u want it .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 1:56pm On Jul 03, 2016
Happy Sunday!

Please I have this question. Concerning the signing of I-20, is it compulsory to sign the way I sign my international passport?

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by PRYCE(m): 2:04pm On Jul 03, 2016
LagosismyHome:

GA is Graduate assistance with usually comes with free tuition and a monthly stipend inexchange for your working in the school or department so really great if u get full GA. It is competitive to get .

Regarding d school i didnt check the ranking or anything like that. Dont know much about the school but there are lots of information on google. Also for external scholarship , it is time consuming to find but there are out there and u just need to put the work to find if u want it .
Thanks Ma!

I'm going for UG... is GA available for that category?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Ekofisk(m): 2:06pm On Jul 03, 2016
gentledoj:
Happy Sunday!

Please I have this question. Concerning the signing of I-20, is it compulsory to sign the way I sign my international passport?

Thanks

I'll advise you use the same signature to prevent stories that touch. You don't know when nor where someone will notice the discrepancy. Even if the VO doesn't see it, the POE immigration officer might notice the difference...Just maybe
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Triggeredsam: 2:15pm On Jul 03, 2016
Good day brothers and sisters, hardest decision in my life at 20!, I got 3 graduate pathway offers @ Marshall university,
University of Alabama
And Oregon university
I am in love with Marshall university due to its course was my dream (master in safety) and I will do better in that field but am scared of the state called west Virginia... the poorest state base on internet research, kindly advice even though Form A is being processed for deposit payment, I will like to know if anyone has been to that state ( scares me when I learnt it's 79% white, racist and all that lack of part time job and lonely life it offers) pls I don't want to go where I will stay and my papa and mama will be wondering if na America I dey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 2:16pm On Jul 03, 2016
PRYCE:
Thanks Ma!

I'm going for UG... is GA available for that category?

Undergrad even better ...there are much more opportunities for them if your SAT is high and school gpa. Have u done SAT? , if no study very hard for it and check a previous post .

I have pasted a link for schools with full ride opportunities before . Those are the ones you need to target, for example if you go to Howard University fin aid page. It shows u the scholarship level based on your SAT so u can pick the level you want and aim for it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jul 03, 2016
Sorbitalll:
Currently doing my MS in US, Chemistry major. I'm looking forward to apply for PhD to schools with good monthly stipend. Hopefully something in the range of 2k+. Can someone please suggest schools with much money. I'll worry about their rating and whether or not they offer my major.

Thank you.
. Which school are you presently?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Sponge3(m): 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2016
Good to be back!! Congrats to everyone who got their visas!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 03, 2016
profx4real:

Check out;
Auburn University, Alabama
University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Colorado State University
University of Florida, Gainesville
Okay, thanks. I appreciate that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (211) (212) (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) ... (402)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.