Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,514 members, 7,830,526 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (50) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (683003 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 3:15pm On May 26, 2016
bolaji92:

Address where you will stay in US(that where the problem is as i dont have anybody there and where to stay)

Write your school / university full campus address
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AgreatMan: 3:45pm On May 26, 2016
borie4u:
Hello guys . yesterday was d worst day of my life. I had a bad score of 301 n while dazed I erroneously skip sending my GRE scores to intended schools except Utah which cut off seems higher than my score. I was soaked by the rain that when I got home my phone which I just repaired last week got bad. As it is, am not too comfortable with my GRE scores n hence thinking of taking it again . I don't no if someone would be kind enough to help with a free ticket or one that wouldn't cost me so much. If u have one then we can talk. Tjanks
Someone asked me which school I applied to. I applied to MTU for PhD degree in geophysics for fall admission. I have sent all documents except my GRE scores. My status is incomplete cos I haven't uploaded my GRE scores.

I was the one who asked about the school. Well, I got into MTU with 300 but decision was made since March. I am not going there sef. U can try and send the scores, but I am afraid, it might be too late. Send an email to someone in the department to even know if they still have vacant PhD slots. Sorry about the phone, gre is a crazy test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by mevisbleek: 3:48pm On May 26, 2016
DareFadi:

Most information can easily be found through a google search

Post-Completion OPT: May apply up to 90 days before or within 60 days after program completion date. Expect 2-3 months of processing before you can use your OPT after completion of degree program.

OPT application must be received by USCIS within 30 days of the OPT I-20 issuance date. If not received within 30 days, OPT will be denied and appeal is not possible.

OPT begin date must be with in the 60 days following program completion date

HOW MANY DAYS DO I HAVE TO FIND A JOB?

Students on post-completion OPT are allowed only 90 days total of unemployment during their OPT period.

WHAT IF I DON’T GET A JOB WITHIN THE ALLOTTED TIME?

After 90 days of unemployment the student can be considered in violation of maintaining their status unless s/he:

1. Transfers to continue education at the same or another educational institution

2. Departs the US, or

3. Changes visa status

CAN I EXTEND MY OPT?

Only Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) majors have an option for a 24-month extension of OPT (new rule in effect May 10, 2016). A minor in a STEM field does not make you eligible for STEM extension. If you are not a STEM student, then a maximum 12 months of full-time OPT per degree is allowed.

Na wah, America harsh oh. How many students find good job within 3 months? I mean good career kind of job and not call centre gig.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Christian129(m): 3:50pm On May 26, 2016
Hello House!!! Please, I'm thinking of a Masters in International Relations or Public Administration in any of the prestigious and affordable Universities in New Jersey. Please do I need a GRE in additional to my TOEFL? Please which Universities should I be looking at? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AgreatMan: 3:51pm On May 26, 2016
mevisbleek:

Na wah, America harsh oh. How many students find good job within 3 months? I mean good career kind of job and not call centre gig.

I guess you can start looking for job after spending just one semester. You don't have to wait till the eleventh hour.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by mevisbleek: 3:51pm On May 26, 2016
borie4u:
Hello guys . yesterday was d worst day of my life. I had a bad score of 301 n while dazed I erroneously skip sending my GRE scores to intended schools except Utah which cut off seems higher than my score. I was soaked by the rain that when I got home my phone which I just repaired last week got bad. As it is, am not too comfortable with my GRE scores n hence thinking of taking it again . I don't no if someone would be kind enough to help with a free ticket or one that wouldn't cost me so much. If u have one then we can talk. Tjanks
Someone asked me which school I applied to. I applied to MTU for PhD degree in geophysics for fall admission. I have sent all documents except my GRE scores. My status is incomplete cos I haven't uploaded my GRE scores.

Free ticket to where? Yankee or local ticket? Pls advise. Get in touch with me asap before I give the money to my side chick. No pm me, hala me in the open.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 26, 2016
borie4u:
If your MTU is Michigan Tech and you're expecting funding, na OYO you dey.
That school doesn't give funding to first year students especially those in engineering
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AgreatMan: 3:56pm On May 26, 2016
Christian129:
Hello House!!! Please, I'm thinking of a Masters in International Relations or Public Administration in any of the prestigious and affordable Universities in New Jersey. Please do I need a GRE in additional to my TOEFL? Please which Universities should I be looking at? Thanks

Truth is Google will provide all your answers n you can check specific school requirements regarding test scores. You can try schools in new jersey, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania n new York. They are all a stone throw apart.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by justwise(m): 4:00pm On May 26, 2016
imperiouxx:

This is a nice decision justwise. If possible Ojap's post too. Thanks

I expect SirRiddy to do that now...that was the whole idea of unbanning him
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dickoflife(m): 4:02pm On May 26, 2016
Just landed in lago..... Oya gunther where u dey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 4:07pm On May 26, 2016
dickoflife:
Just landed in lago..... Oya gunther where u dey?

U have his number ......so why u con dey disturb us . grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by lobito007(m): 4:27pm On May 26, 2016
AgreatMan:

I guess you can start looking for job after spending just one semester. You don't have to wait till the eleventh hour.
Really? OPT? After one semester? OPT trainees get paid like normal staff, and as the labour law stipulates, they cannot be paid less than a normal fully-employed staff with that degree and in a similar position would. This makes searching for OPT placement same task as searching for a full-time employment. So, one should not just bask in the euphoria of the whole 3-year package. We should have recent grads share their experiences trying to secure placement. cc bigfrancis21, Msnas
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 4:35pm On May 26, 2016
lobito007:

This makes searching for OPT placement same task as searching for a full-time employment.

Dont really understand your comment but most people search hard to find a full time job during OPT year with the hopes that after you have worked for a company for a year and proven yourself then they will file h1B for you . In my case that what i did, i attended load of career fair and used oncampus recruiting .. Anywhere i hear of any lead i am there .... . The company i ended up with said they do not file but i was able to work a year using OPT . my manager liked me and then helped me get HR to file H1B visa .

Every year you have many more companies not willing to file H1B visa cry

But that just one of the many hurdles in life ......H1B self doesn't guarantee green card filing and if you lose your job you are back to square one so the hustle continues

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AgreatMan: 4:45pm On May 26, 2016
lobito007:

Really? OPT? After one semester? OPT trainees get paid like normal staff, and as the labour law stipulates, they cannot be paid less than a normal fully-employed staff with that degree and in a similar position would. This makes searching for OPT placement same task as searching for a full-time employment. So, one should not just bask in the euphoria of the whole 3-year package. We should have recent grads share their experiences trying to secure placement. cc bigfrancis21, Msnas

I was not particularly talking about OPT. I am talking about getting a job. You can get a place as early as after a semester, depending on d arrangement between u, d firm n d school. It is now left to you to work it out into becoming ur OPT destination, and what have you. I personally know someone who worked for not one, but two multinationals in a space of 3 semesters and u can cc amanze. Forget d rules, anything is possible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 4:51pm On May 26, 2016
DareFadi:

Dont really understand your comment but most people search hard to find a full time job during OPT year with the hopes that after you have worked for a company for a year and proven yourself then they will file h1B for you . In my case that what i did, i attended load of career fair and used oncampus recruiting .. Anywhere i hear of any lead i am there .... . The company i ended up with said they do not file but i was able to work a year using OPT . my manager liked me and then helped me get HR to file H1B visa .

Every year you have many more companies not willing to file H1B visa cry

But that just one of the many hurdles in life ......H1B self doesn't guarantee green card filing and if you lose your job you are back to square one so the hustle continues

It's true and now that the Indian consultants have hijacked everything.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OjaP: 5:21pm On May 26, 2016
DareFadi--

You are right. Personally, I don't think there is a magic to getting a job as an F-1 student. What I always tell folks is this:

- Apply to as many jobs as you can.

- Do not stop applying until you get a job and have signed the dotted line.

- Create a spreadsheet and include all the companies that you have applied to. Have a separate column for: waiting to hear from HR, application not successful, scheduled interview, rejection bla bla bla.

- The spread sheet will allow you track all your applications to avoid applying to a company more than once.

- Your resume should be constantly modified to fit the job requirements of the job that you are applying for. Therefore, you will be having many resume types. Also include the type of resume that you submitted for each of the jobs that you applied for in the spreadsheet.

- Have a strong LinkedIn profile, constantly check with and register with several recruiting agencies. Also constantly check jobs websites (e.g. Indeed.com) for new jobs.

Generally, engineering and IT graduates are the luckiest of all with OPT and H1B. It's just what it is.

Warning: You may have applied to 500 jobs and not be successful, don't give up, don't get discouraged. Just keep applying until you get that call or letter that your application is successful. Winners never quit.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OjaP: 5:25pm On May 26, 2016
imperiouxx:

It's true and now that the Indian consultants have hijacked everything.

You are right boss. The Indian consultants have also been saving people oo. At least they help with OPT whether genuine or ingenuine cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by motifoluwasolami: 5:31pm On May 26, 2016
Good day everyone.
Congrats to siriddy and mekurrexx.
i have got a question, ejoor, e dakun.

i sent a mail to the grad coord asking to be considered for a T. A, and he replied and asked if i was on skype, that we should skype and talk about a possible T. A. next week thursday.

Question 1
what are the possible questions i will be asked, going for msc. mechanical engineering.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 5:46pm On May 26, 2016
OjaP:
Generally, engineering and IT graduates are the luckiest of all with OPT and H1B. It's just what it is.

This is from an experienced member. Those thinking all STEM fields benefit from opt should learn. All stem programs are not the same when it comes to market demand. And employment outside your field of studies prevents an extension of opt. Unless the rules has changed after we left the opt stage.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by imperiouxx(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2016
motifoluwasolami:
Good day everyone.

i sent a mail to the grad coord asking to be considered for a T. A, and he replied and asked if i was on skype, that we should skype and talk about a possible T. A. next week thursday.

Question 1
what are the possible questions i will be asked, going for msc. mechanical engineering.

Question 2
hiw do i open a skype account and also buy Skype credits

Thank you all.

No be 4 skype video interview? You only need an internet connection.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by motifoluwasolami: 6:11pm On May 26, 2016
imperiouxx:

No be 4 skype video interview? You only need an internet connection.
i dont have my own skype account, the açount on my phone (not mine) was saying i dont have skype credit, that was what confused me, apparently it was for calls to landlines.
thank you, will open an account asap and schedule a day for the video conference
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 6:35pm On May 26, 2016
motifoluwasolami:

i dont have my own skype account, the açount on my phone (not mine) was saying i dont have skype credit, that was what confused me, apparently it was for calls to landlines.
thank you, will open an account asap and schedule a day for the video conference

Just open a skype account....skype to skype is free so you dont need credit. Only a good internet connection .

You need skype credit if you want to call like a mobile or landline from the skype , then off course its not free and would charge u to make calls. For example i use my skype to call mtn numbers then those ones need credit
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 6:46pm On May 26, 2016
motifoluwasolami:
Good day everyone.

Question 1

Question 2
hiw do i open a skype account and also buy Skype credits

Thank you all.
Get a laptop and internet connection.
Download Skype( it is very simple. just type it on Google) or get the setup from someone that has it.
Setup your account, it's more like normal registration.
Ask for your grad coord's username or you send him yours.

When I did my Skype interview, POI asked me about
1) My research interest
2) Basic chemistry questions
3) My journal
4) What I can offer ( imagine she asked me if I can do simple fixing of equipments with screwdriver grin)
I think your English proficiency would also be tested.
Mine was more like a chat and it lasted 30mins.
Just look for good internet connection and electricity.
You're good to go. All the best

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AshBammy(f): 6:53pm On May 26, 2016
Holudarey01:

Hi,
Hope you got the GA?

Yes I got it By God's grace
Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by justwise(m): 6:56pm On May 26, 2016
@AshBammy

Why not answer that question here rather than asking the op to contact you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.