Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,822,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (681788 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by BigBenoski(m): 8:39am On Jun 01, 2016
AshBammy:
@ BigBenoski
Congratulations
That's a good one
Best of luck

Thank you, this thread was helpful.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by daaz001: 8:45am On Jun 01, 2016
Congrats to Don4ye on your Visa approval...What a good news to start a new month..

***Awaiting Transcript***
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 8:47am On Jun 01, 2016
BigBenoski:

Haha thanks. I don't know about being a good lecturer but I taught once (NYSC ) ,and I think I had fun. That said, I love field work... Being in the field is the best part of my career.
Your research would be fun then.
Wish you all the best

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by BigBenoski(m): 8:57am On Jun 01, 2016
jatsay001:
Congrats

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 9:02am On Jun 01, 2016
Pls how long does it take for one to get i-20 sent through regular mail in Ibadan and where can I collect it? Please, it is urgent.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dickoflife(m): 9:03am On Jun 01, 2016
I hear don4eye don get visa? I am waiting for transcript and one bottle of odeku.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 9:08am On Jun 01, 2016
gentledoj:
Pls how long does it take for one to get i-20 sent through regular mail in Ibadan and where can I collect it? Please, it is urgent.
Regular mail na forever o.
Which address did you put?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 9:10am On Jun 01, 2016
Holudarey01:

Regular mail na forever o.
Which address did you put?

Home address..... Why forever?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 9:14am On Jun 01, 2016
gentledoj:

Home address..... Why forever?
Because NIPOST isn't efficient.
It would have been better if you put a P.O box.
I got a letter after 3 weeks via P.O box.
My advice, tell your sch to prepare another i-20 and pay for courier. You'd get it in due time
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 9:17am On Jun 01, 2016
dickoflife:
I hear don4eye don get visa? I am waiting for transcript and one bottle of odeku.
When I collect my own nko
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by brightify: 9:31am On Jun 01, 2016
BigBenoski:
I thank God almighty for my visa approval today. I'm also grateful to all posters on here for their contributions, and to rhemmie91 who took out time to always respond to my emails.

Appointment time: 9.00am
Time of arrival : 8:58 am
visa approval: 11......something (checking my watch was my least concern at that point)

Interview transcript
Me: Hi goodmorning (hands him my passport)
VO: Hi goodmorning, how are you?
Me: good
VO:Please hand me your 1-20 and sevis receipt
Me: hands him the requested documents
VO: tell me about your plans
me: I'm going to bla d bla university to study for a PhD in biology. I will be working on bat ecology.
VO: looks at me as if he's expecting me to continue
Me:Returns the look with my mouth shut
VO: biotechnology you say?
Me: nope! Bat ecology
VO: ok are there many bats in nigeria?
me: yeah. At the last IUCN count, abt 80+ but from our recent research, we've been able to discover about 10 new records. so we are currently updating the list.
VO: What genus are bats under?
Me: (hesitates) Did you mean order? because there are lots of genus under bats. (Gave him a basic lecture on binomial nomenclature). You understand?
vo: uhmmm yeah, I just wanted you to correct me
Me: Oh okay
VO: is there a name people studying bats are called?
Me: Nah! we just call ourselves bat biologist
VOsadgives me lecture about the right time to enter the US)

PS: sometimes applicants run into problems when they talk too much. I think its better to just keep your answers short, drive the discussion by subtly introducing a catchy word that would steer the interview to the path you feel comfortable talking about. In my case, I could have just stopped at 'I'm going to bla d bla university to study for a PhD in biology' but that'll blow the interview wide open. He could then ask you anything under the sun. To forestall that, I gently introduced him to bats (which I love talking about) and he took the bait.

When you talk too much, you unknowingly dish out too many "catchy" words, and may God help you if he/she chooses the one you are not comfortable talking about. A good example was this guy before me. Dude was reeling out words, and mentioned that he was going to the US to learn some innovative technologies in medical science. VO jumped at that part and asked him what kind of innovative technology. Dude was thrown off-balance. He stuttered and said 'autoclave'. that was when I knew he'd be denied. VO said, 'but autoclave has been around for decades'.... the rest is history.

Final shot: don't forget to pray before you go for your interview. All the best to everyone to to the white house soon.

congrats

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by calfavour(f): 9:54am On Jun 01, 2016
Congratulation BigBenoski and Don4ye...June already counting
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 9:55am On Jun 01, 2016
Holudarey01:

Because NIPOST isn't efficient.
It would have been better if you put a P.O box.
I got a letter after 3 weeks via P.O box.
My advice, tell your sch to prepare another i-20 and pay for courier. You'd get it in kdue time

Hope the I-20 will not change, hope the school will agree?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 10:13am On Jun 01, 2016
Angelapinkytoes:
Ya'll should leave the guy alone,it's his life and he made his decision.Just because most of us found it easy getting admissions with good BSC GPAs and great test scores does not mean it's easy for some other people. There's nothing wrong with a masters in the United Kingdom or Europe. I also have a degree from one of the best business schools in Berlin. Nobody's destiny lies in the United States,most people will even get there and be blessed with favor before a year and do better than those who will graduate. The states is all about goodluck and meeting the right people. Moreover,we are not paying his tuition fees. Follow your dreams and aspirations fizzile.

Nobody stopping him from following his dreams... it more like an advice from someone who has lived in both countries. I schooled in d US but work in Uk now so yes i know nobody destiny is tied to any country . Its just a warning before he spends his money.

Today Fizzile might not understand because you are eager to travel but trust me in a year time you look back and see d uk masters for one year added no value . They kick you out barely in time to make d graduation ceremony.
Best of luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by monsieur2016(m): 10:49am On Jun 01, 2016
My transcript goes thus;

VO: Good morning
Me: Goodmorning ma'am
VO: documents pls (I passed them)
Where are u going?
Me: ****, texas
VO: (cuts in). For what?
Me: For a masters degree in Natural Science. I'll major in Analytical & Envi.... (cuts in)
VO: Who is paying?
Me: My elder brother.
VO: what does he do?
Me: He is a ....... at.......
VO: where?
Me: in the US.
VO: where in the US?
Me: texas.
VO: how long has he been there?
I told her
VO: where did u say ur school is?
I reminded her.
VO: so ure going there because of your brother? (stopped typing and looked at me intensely now)
Me: (smiled) No ooo. I chose the school because it has a unique research lab whch makes use of hyphenated analytical techniques for research and analysis such as ICP-AES. These equipments are not readily available in most institutions, even in the US. (she nodded) I even applied to other schools.
VO: Which schools?
Me: Valparaiso Uni and Minnesota state uni.
VO: did u take any tests?
Me: Yes, I took GRE & TOEFL
VO: how did you do? I mean the breakdown.
Me- I scored 152 in Quant, 146 in Verbal, 4.0 Analytical writing. 97 in TOEFL.
VO: ok. Thats good. What was ur UG course?
Me: Chemistry........Education
VO: when did u grad?
I told her.
VO: what do u do now?
I went for my compulsory NYSC and ive been working at ***** college where I teach chemistry.
VO: What did you study again?
Me: Chemistry Education ma'am
VO: okay, you'll need this at the POE.collect ur visa there...bla bla bla
Me: thank you ma'am

No documents asked, All thanks to God for answered prayers. thanks to @calfavour and @CBNL2014, my gbaski VOs. Thanks to all those who give meaningful comments here. I learned a lot. @calfavour and fisayo(sorry I forgot ur handle) you're next. I'm praying for u.

9 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 10:50am On Jun 01, 2016
DareFadi:

Nobody stopping him from following his dreams... it more like an advice from someone who has lived in both countries. I schooled in d US but work in Uk now so yes i know nobody destiny is tied to any country . Its just a warning before he spends his money.

Today Fizzile might not understand because you are eager to travel but trust me in a year time you look back and see d uk masters for one year added no value . [b]They kick you out [/b]barely in time to make d graduation ceremony.
Best of luck
With reference to the bold statements, who told u uk masters for one year adds no value? How abt people who have spent decades in US and still haven't added any single value to themselves? And who told you people havent succeeded even after going to the US? And who also told you the US won't one day adopt policies like that of UK thereby asking International students to leave immediately after their studies? And is it that someone cant have an opportunity of continuing his or her studies in the US even after getting a UK education? And the last time i checked, many have posted their transcripts here and stated to the VO that they had Masters degree in the UK. My dear, people have difference plans for themselves. If others went to the UK and failed, thats not my plan. There are loads and loads of people who have been to the US and have also failed woefully. Success is not built on schooling in the US. Afterall people have succeeded in life and are doing well from schooling in Finland, New zealand, canada, and a couple of other countries.
Abeg make my matter no come bring issue. I made far reaching consultations before i took my decision and a couple of guys here know the angle am coming from and why i had to tk that decision.
Yeah u schooled in the US and your now working in the UK, how come u didnt remain in the US... why leave US to work in the UK where to you its not the best.
Spending money? The fact that UK Masters is one year while that of US is two years are two different things. How much do u spend in US ur tuition, accomodation, maintenance for Two years. Calculate and tell me.. Then calculate that of UK for 1yr and tell me. People have their plans. Another person can possibly come here and lambast US education and ask u why u didnt go to Canada.
Make adequate use of the opportunity u have not minding where u school abeg.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by opepwince: 10:51am On Jun 01, 2016
Part 10 will be my testimonial page. Insha Allah. Amin'a
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 11:04am On Jun 01, 2016
fizzile:
With reference to the bold statements, who told u uk masters for one year adds no value? How abt people who have spent decades in US and still haven't added any single value to themselves? And who told you people havent succeeded even after going to the US? And who also told you the US won't one day adopt policies like that of UK thereby asking International students to leave immediately after their studies? And is it that someone cant have an opportunity of continuing his or her studies in the US even after getting a UK education? And the last time i checked, many have posted their transcripts here and stated to the VO that they had Masters degree in the UK. My dear, people have difference plans for themselves. If others went to the UK and failed, thats not my plan. There are loads and loads of people who have been to the US and have also failed woefully. Success is not built on schooling in the US. Afterall people have succeeded in life and are doing well from schooling in Finland, New zealand, canada, and a couple of other countries.
Abeg make my matter no come bring issue. I made far reaching consultations before i took my decision and a couple of guys here know the angle am coming from and why i had to tk that decision.
Yeah u schooled in the US and your now working in the UK, how come u didnt remain in the US... why leave US to work in the UK where to you its not the best.
Spending money? The fact that UK Masters is one year while that of US is two years are two different things. How much do u spend in US ur tuition, accomodation, maintenance for Two years. Calculate and tell me.. Then calculate that of UK for 1yr and tell me. People have their plans. Another person can possibly come here and lambast US education and ask u why u didnt go to Canada.
Make adequate use of the opportunity u have not minding where u school abeg.

UK value : all i would say is In a year time come back and read this posting , then it would be clearer . My advice to you is given in good faith and i mean you well

I wont go into long story but schooling in the US opened a global door for me and i have been exposed to several projects which has been financially rewarding . Yes i am in the UK now working on a project and loving it that doesn't mean i dont intend to go back to the US. Both system i dont mind from a working perspective but not schooling , just pay me good money. Trust me the UK education would never have opened those initial doors for me. Worse off now that there is no Post Study visa ..... The initial door i got in was through oncampus recruiting which they hardly have in the UK as an example of difference.

anyway not my life story i want to spill here

As i said before Best of Luck mate ............
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by zeezahbee(f): 11:23am On Jun 01, 2016
gentledoj:

Hope the I-20 will not change, hope the school will agree?
no it won't. it takes less than a minute to print out i20. you will still have the same assigned sevis no
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 11:32am On Jun 01, 2016
[quote author=zeezahbee post=46167795]no it won't. it takes less than a minute to print out i20. you will still have the same assigned sevis no[/quote

Thanks...
I love to use DHL but how can I do that from Nigeria.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by borie4u(m): 11:35am On Jun 01, 2016
Ojap can u recommend a good school in Texas with possible funding for intending PhD student in petroleum geophysics or seismology for spring admission . my stats are bsc 3.3/5 oau, MSC 4.04/5 unilag. GRE score of 301/340
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 11:35am On Jun 01, 2016
zeezahbee:
no it won't. it takes less than a minute to print out i20. you will still have the same assigned sevis no

Thanks...

I love to use DHL but how can I do that from Nigeria. Will I send empty envelop through DHL or what?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 11:36am On Jun 01, 2016
[quote author=gentledoj post=46168103][/quote]

The school should be able to direct you how to use https://study.eshipglobal.com to send your i20 via dhl , fedex or the rest . ...student are responsible for the payment and most schools used them . Go to the website and have a feel on how it works
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by oloyeadeniyi(m): 11:41am On Jun 01, 2016
Christian129:
OK, did you do GRE or TOEFL to support your application?
I did IELTS. The VO asked if I did any proficiency test and my score. It's an advantage.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 11:53am On Jun 01, 2016
monsieur2016 congrats bro. Enjoy your stay in TX

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 12:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
DareFadi:

The school should be able to direct you how to use https://study.eshipglobal.com to send your i20 via dhl , fedex or the rest . ...student are responsible for the payment and most schools used them . Go to the website and have a feel on how it works

Thanks...
I pray she agree immediately!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gentledoj(m): 12:42pm On Jun 01, 2016
DareFadi:

Thanks...
I pray she agreed immediately!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by youngmoney416: 12:51pm On Jun 01, 2016
monsieur2016:
My transcript goes thus;

VO: Good morning
Me: Goodmorning ma'am
VO: documents pls (I passed them)
Where are u going?
Me: ****, texas I wonder why you are hiding the name of the school. Is it for us not to come there and kidnap you or what.
VO: (cuts in). For what?
Me: For a masters degree in Natural Science. I'll major in Analytical & Envi.... (cuts in)
VO: Who is paying?
Me: My elder brother.
VO: what does he do?
Me: He is a ....... at....... Again you hid his location which could have new comers an this thread understand your story or maybe you dont want to mention that he lives in ghetto area. grin
VO: where?
Me: in the US.
VO: where in the US?
Me: texas.
VO: how long has he been there?
I told her is "I told her" the duration he has been in US. daris God oo
VO: where did u say ur school is?
I reminded her. You still kept on hiding the name of the school or maybe is a tuition free school where you chores like cleaning, rearing cattle or packing garbagge as a way of paying your tuition like spring college, carlifonia.
VO: so ure going there because of your brother? (stopped typing and looked at me intensely now)
Me: (smiled) No ooo. I chose the school because it has a unique research lab whch makes use of hyphenated analytical techniques for research and analysis such as ICP-AES. These equipments are not readily available in most institutions, even in the US. (she nodded) I even applied to other schools.
VO: Which schools?
Me: Valparaiso Uni and Minnesota state uni. Thank God you didnt hide this one too.
VO: did u take any tests?
Me: Yes, I took GRE & TOEFL
VO: how did you do? I mean the breakdown.
Me- I scored 152 in Quant, 146 in Verbal, 4.0 Analytical writing. 97 in TOEFL.
VO: ok. Thats good. What was ur UG course?
Me: Chemistry........Education
VO: when did u grad?
I told her.
VO: what do u do now?
I went for my compulsory NYSC and ive been working at ***** college where I teach chemistry. Even though this details is not important, you still showed yourself. Ride on
VO: What did you study again?
Me: Chemistry Education ma'am You would have hid this one since hid the name of the school.
VO: okay, you'll need this at the POE.collect ur visa there...bla bla bla
Me: thank you ma'am

No documents asked, All thanks to God for answered prayers. thanks to @calfavour and @CBNL2014, my gbaski VOs. Thanks to all those who give meaningful comments here. I learned a lot. @calfavour and fisayo(sorry I forgot ur handle) you're next. I'm praying for u.
So with all these vital information you hid, how would you feel if you are a new comer on these and end up reading such incoherent transcript. Just as others say, is a way of giving back to the new ones. Is better not to post than to post this kind of transcript. Peace

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 12:59pm On Jun 01, 2016
youngmoney416:
So with all these vital information you hid, how would you feel if you are a new comer on these and end up reading such incoherent transcript. Just as others say, is a way of giving back to the new ones. Is better not to post than to post this kind of transcript. Peace

lol.........is all i can say to that edited transcript
That been said that our people for you . Once they have learnt from others, some are then not willing to help others fully . Very selfish approach .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by lakreame: 1:05pm On Jun 01, 2016
youngmoney416:
Oga youngmoney416 this is pure hate, can't you jse congratulate him and appreciate the fact that he did drop a transcript? What were u expecting that wasn't there? Were u expecting him to tell u the time he brushed his teeth and took his bath? Most people on here jse practically hate on others, Nigerians are too bitter.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by don4ye: 1:16pm On Jun 01, 2016
The Lord has blessed me from Zion and he has make his face to shine upon me and he is Gracious to me VISA APPROVED TODAY Lagos NG 23401 and today is my BIRTHDAY. ToGodBeTheGlory. Special thanks to warriboy21, halidaf, holudarey01, lionlee, bukunmmy, rogerdavid. I will drop trascript soon

14 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by youngmoney416: 1:19pm On Jun 01, 2016
lakreame:

Oga youngmoney416 this is pure hate, can't you jse congratulate him and appreciate the fact that he did drop a transcript? What were u expecting that wasn't there? Were u expecting him to tell u the time he brushed his teeth and took his bath? Most people on here jse practically hate on others, Nigerians are too bitter.
Of course am happy for him but what am saying is that those vital information help new comers on the thread make informed desision. There is no need of hiding all these details like name of school, course, location of school etc. You don't who you would be helping that plans to go such school that would get motivated with such transcript. Let's do things the right way and help ourselves. The person you inspire and help today may help you in multiple fold tomorrow. Peace

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.