Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,239 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? (4322 Views)

Father Sends His US-born Teen Sons To Nigeria To Learn Gratitude / Husband Sends Wife Packing For having Her Bath. / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by GEW: 6:30pm On Aug 16, 2009
[size=28pt]Mother-in-law sends you packing?[/size]
By GIDEON OPARINDE[tomgidops@yahoo.com]
Sunday, August 16, 2009

•Oluchi
Photo: Sun News Publishing

Mores Stories on This Section

The battle line was drawn between Mama Dapo and her daughter-in-law some weeks before Laide was married to Dapo. In her usual overbearing way, Mama had insisted she followed Laide to the market to buy the Aso Ebi that the intending couple would wear on their introduction. Laide had refused the offer on the premise that she knew what she and her husband wanted and… Mama was ‘old school’.

Laide did not know peace in her home in the weeks and years and years to come. Coupled with the fact that she did not conceive early enough, Mama had labeled her among members of the family, rude and infertile girl, and it stuck! For this reason, she must go as ‘two captains cannot stay in a boat’.

Many ladies have been in this kind of situation before. Some survived it perhaps with the cooperation of their husbands while some did not because their husbands, the mummy’s boy that they are played out the script of the mother-in-law. We asked respondents how they would respond if their mothers-in-law should send them packing. Their responses:

MRS. OLUCHI
For my mother-in-law to have sent me packing means I must have hurt her. Although there are natural and gifted wicked mothers-in-law. When such women notice the inseparable love between a couple, they would think the wife has hypnotized their son, thereby they wagging war against the poor daughter-in-law.

YETUNDE ADEDINI
I know she can’t do that without a grounded reason. But if that happens, the first thing I will do is talk to my husband and beg my mother-in-law. But if it turns out it is their joint plan to send me out, I would not hesitate; I will leave.

MRS. EZENNE NNKIRUKA
It is not possible, no. Where was she when her son married me? She is not supposed to be interfering in her children’s home. If perhaps she should, the only thing she could do is help settle whatever form of rift that could have come up between them, not to be a judge or an intermediary as the case may be.
My mother-in-law would never send me packing. If that was how she was treated, would she still be in her husband’s home or how would she feel watching her daughters being given same humiliation?
It is quite sad and disappointing that some mothers-in-law today, who were supposed to be consolation to their daughters-in-law, have instead turn out to be threat and source of sadness and discomfort; that is why some women pray not to have mother-in-law because they believe they are rare devils.

Secondly, it is on the other hand sad enough and a great pity that some men still have not understood their responsibilities in the home. For example, they lack the common knowledge that they are to protect their wives’ integrity from any assault or abuse as the case may be. Irrespective of their age or maturity as they claim, some men still see themselves as mummy’s boy. It is sad for a married, matured man who cannot stand in for his family or wife any point in time. not have the right.

MRS. AKINYIOLA
My husband and I will go to her together to actually know why she would make such a decision. If all pleas fall on deaf ears, I would then make arrangement with my husband whether to get an apartment for me somewhere in order to make peace reign, if that would make her happy.

FALOLA OMOWUMI
I don’t believe any mother-in-law could for lack of better things or selfish and demonic heart interfere in her son’s family affairs. There is no mother-in-law that can send me out of my husband’s home as far as I’m concerned. I will tell her I have all rights to remain his wife as long as there is a clear evidence of proper marriage and love between us.

MRS JOY
I will not leave because my mother-in-law has no right sending me packing out of my husband's house.

MRS. RACHAEL OYELOWO
It is just impossible, it can’t happen and that is just the truth.

BUKKY TELLA
I don’t think such a thing still happens in this civilized life. But if it does, it is unfair on the part of the mother-in-law. If that is how homes are run overseas and everywhere, how many women would still remain in their husbands’ homes? I see it as self centeredness and sheer wickedness.

In a situation where she just wants me out at all cost, I will try to make peace with her, praying that God should touch her heart. If my husband does not support her, it means I’m not moving anywhere because he made vows when we got married. That is why it is good to be legally married.

MRS. MARY .S.
It all depends on what happened earlier before she can send me out. If am guilty and I pleaded for forgiveness, she refuses and my husband is in support, then will I know he's not meant to for me. Then I will return to my parents.

MRS. ADA UWAEZUOKE
Well, mothers-in-laws have always protected their sons’ interests. But should such happen to me, I will make my husband realize the essence of marriage. I would also make my mother-in-law know that I have children and that I’m a responsible woman, so I would not leave. I will let it be known to my family that she is just trying to separate us, putting the family in disarray without a course.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/wiveslive/2009/aug/16/wiveslive-16-08-2009-001.htm

Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by cooljade(f): 10:34pm On Aug 16, 2009
The mother-in-law to send me packing out of my husband's house isn't born yet, that means, NO MOTHER-IN-LAW CAN EVER SEND ME OUT. instead, she'll be the one to leave and if possible never to return for even a day's visit. Once a woman shows herevil heart openly towards you, letting her into your house is very unsafe. As long as i don't interfer in her personal marital life, she should't smell near mine, angry
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Sissy3(f): 10:42pm On Aug 16, 2009
IF only she's the one that married me.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by sexylisa(f): 11:28pm On Aug 16, 2009
im suprised that this still happens in a modern society. lol. anyway, my mother in law would not even think of something that stupid since it is going to be OUR house not her son's house. maybe she will be sending her son packing instead.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:27am On Aug 17, 2009
whats the MIL's own naa, shes going way over board, . . . . . undecided
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by amosexy: 12:33am On Aug 17, 2009
Thk God say I fit no get one cos if i get she fit send me packing for really.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Outstrip(f): 2:29am On Aug 17, 2009
Sometimes these responses make me feel that Nigerian women feel like they have to act like they are brainless and utterly stupid to be a good wife. How the hell can a mother in law send someone packing. The husband cannot send anyone packing not to talk of mother in law
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by SeanT21(f): 7:29am On Aug 17, 2009
Outstrip:

Sometimes these responses make me feel that Nigerian women feel like they have to act like they are brainless and utterly stupid to be a good wife. How the hell can a mother in law send someone packing. The husband cannot send anyone packing not to talk of mother in law

2nd!!
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by GEW: 11:06am On Aug 17, 2009
Outstrip:

women inhumanity to women
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Andyjoy(f): 11:38am On Aug 17, 2009
someof mother-in-law the don,t want to see their son wife
or their son to telk careof there wife .
moreover, some problem from husband sister to mother
so by then, the well troble the wife ,by the time you will konw it
the will tell the wife to live the house
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by chiejik(f): 4:50pm On Aug 17, 2009
idont say bad about your mother in law,some day you will be addressd as a mother of somebody too so do your beat that you know God will always be happy of
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by SisiJinx: 5:12pm On Aug 17, 2009
Lmao. . .I. . .I don't know what to say.

I can't respond to this topic. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by rubi(f): 7:10pm On Aug 17, 2009
She can only do that when she knew your husband is still a boy and refuse to grow up also when she is the one financially sponsoring the marriage that is when she has the say but when you and your hubby are financial muscle who born dog?
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by mamagee6(f): 7:46pm On Aug 17, 2009
If only she can lift me. grin grin
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by GEW: 12:05pm On Aug 18, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

Lmao. . .I. . .I don't know what to say.

I can't respond to this topic. cheesy cheesy cheesy
how can you dissapoint me like this? i beg talk something nice. tell me it is okay for daughter inlaw to insult mothers and ma inlaws to send her paxcking
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by ifyalways(f): 12:16pm On Aug 18, 2009
Marriage needs not just love bla bla to survive but lots of wisdom and patience.The lady shld have allowed her MIL to go with her to the mkt and bore the woman so much that she wud run back home herself.She went too far telling the MIL shes old school,wud she have told her mother same if she made such a request?.Sometimes we really dont understand the bond btw mothers and their children,Boys esp till u have one,so i guess she really hurt the MIL with that statement.
Well,if she wants to keep her home,she shld find a way to make peace to the MIL even if it means apologising,Lets face the facts,it wud really be difficult for a man to take sides with the wife over the mother,even if he does today . . . .he wud still one day go back to his mum esp African men.If u want a happy home,plsssss try as much as possible to see ur MIL as ur mother and be at good terms with her.Sometimes,one stoops to conquer.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by GEW: 12:19pm On Aug 18, 2009
ifyalways:

Marriage needs not just love bla bla to survive but lots of wisdom and patience.The lady shld have allowed her MIL to go with her to the mkt and bore the woman so much that she wud run back home herself.She went too far telling the MIL shes old school,wud she have told her mother same if she made such a request?.Sometimes we really dont understand the bond btw mothers and their children,Boys esp till u have one,so i guess she really hurt the MIL with that statement.
Well,if she wants to keep her home,she shld find a way to make peace to the MIL even if it means apologising,Lets face the facts,it wud really be difficult for a man to take sides with the wife over the mother,even if he does today . . . .he wud still one day go back to his mum esp African men.If u want a happy home,plsssss try as much as possible to see ur MIL as ur mother and be at good terms with her.Sometimes,one stoops to conquer.
why cant we make things simple kill every woman immediately first son marries like that we will all be happy no ma in law wahala.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by ifyalways(f): 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2009
U start by killing ur mother undecided
na wao for dis kain jk
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by presido1: 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2009
ifyalways:

never new u are this intelligent, are u married? can i know you? infact can u marry me? cool cool cool
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Aug 18, 2009
ifyalways:

[center]POWERFUL POST! [/center]
I co-sign X 100% everybit of this post.
wey all these girls wey dey do shakara? You ladies better learn.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Sagamite(m): 12:46pm On Aug 18, 2009
If that happens to you, then your husband must be weak.

Get a man.

Except my mother has built a strong relationship or bond with my wife, every complaints or face off with my wife should go through me, and vice versa.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Shinatu: 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2009
I laugh when I hear people advice that one should treat the mother inlaw like ones mother , how many MIL can take some things we do to our mothers and some comments we make to them? Say some things you freely say to your mum to your MIL and you will have to call the whole family to help you apologise
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by candyshore: 1:46pm On Aug 18, 2009
most african men esp. first sons are mamas boy so the best  is to try be freinds with her.  moreover-
'ifyalways"- has said it all. but for me i dont think any mother in law can chase me out of my house except i ve really done somthin really bad.
and no mother in law can really be like ur mother they will just try to be.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by GEW: 1:54pm On Aug 18, 2009
candyshore:

most african men esp. first sons are mamas boy so the best  is to try be freinds with her.  moreover-
'ifyalways"- has said it all. but for me i dont think any mother in law can chase me out of my house except i ve really done somthin really bad.
and no mother in law can really be like ur mother they will just try to be.
my ma inlaw has 6 daughter in laws. they all worship the ground she walk on. truth is that many nigerian look for trouble too much and dont know the colour of peaceful living.
presido1:

never new u are this intelligent, are u married? can i know you? infact can u marry me? cool cool cool
what can i say?
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by hushush(f): 2:09pm On Aug 18, 2009
Outstrip:

3rded!

maybe in a nollywood blockbuster not in this world. I treat my in-laws the way they want to be treated. Be nice to me, i'll be super-nice to you, show me a bit of nastiness, you are out of my house, bingo
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Nezan(m): 2:38pm On Aug 18, 2009
A mother-in-law is not supposed to chase out her daughter-in-law, it is unlawful.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Juvic09: 2:44pm On Aug 18, 2009
I often say that life is what you make out of it. mother in laws are wonderful people when it comes to their sons. But let me ask a question ooooo If Mum-in-law sends away her son's wife simply because she does not feel comfortable around her what gives her the impression that the next woman her son might marry will give her peace. Marriage is between 2 individuals not three. The Bible says a man will leave his FATHER & his MOTHER & Cleave to his WIFE & dey2 shall become one flesh. the truth is that only a MARRIED BOY will consent to his mother sending his wife packing not a MARRIED MAN. In laws or Outlaws allow couples to manage their homes.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by rubi(f): 2:53pm On Aug 18, 2009
Outstrip:

You are talking
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by Tanddy: 3:04pm On Aug 18, 2009
A good mother will never like to hurt her son, Sending her daugther-in-laws packing is not the solution to the problem that may occur. There is this adage which says" [i][/i][b][/b]Head Cut-Off is not the solution to Head Aches".

Find solution to the problem that may have occured and take her as your Daugther, If you are the one, will you like it like that.

Mother-in-Law love your Daugther-In-Law. Marriage is for 2 people not 3.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by janeobi2: 3:28pm On Aug 18, 2009
ifyalways:

Sincerely, i don't remember how many times i have called my mum "old school" whenever we argue about fashion and we end up putting that aside, loving each other more. Please let us be reasonable and face the facts without compromise, it is really really outrageous and wicked for her mother in law to bore that in her mind and went further to work towards terminating his sons marriage. It is unlawful and against the biblical ethics.

Go to Gen 2 :24 The Almighty God commanded[b] that a man shall leave his father and his mother to cleave unto his wife and they too shall become ONE[/b]. Leaving your parents out of your marriage does not mean you should abandon them. No, you should take care of your parents within your capacity but don't let them be part of your marriage. You are the man, with your wife, make decisions in your home and not my mummy said that, . Let us not go with TRADITIONS OF MEN that goes on to ruin marriages whereby in laws not only the mother in law is given the power to ruin their sons marriage out of their own selfish desire.
Re: Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? by oge4real(f): 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2009
That is if she was the one I exchanged marital vows with.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Toothache!!! Pls Help!!! / Could My Man Be The Source Of My Troubles? / Is Bad Breath Ruining Your Sex Life / Home?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.